Gratuities Mandatory Prepaid

MiamiGrandma

Our daughter friend, her father is a Officer on Princess

I live near Santa Clarita (headquarters). My good friend's husband works there. I also know close friends and relatives that have friends that work there and none of them get that price. Believe me, in this area we would have heard. Are you sure this isn't a special rate for crew members actually working on that ship for their family to visit?

The would mean that a 7 day cruise would only be $56. I don't think so LOL. A world cruise for only for 111 days only $999. Again, don't think so.

Edited by notentirelynormal

I live near Santa Clarita (headquarters). My good friend's husband works there. I also know close friends and relatives that have friends that work there and none of them get that price. Believe me, in this area we would have heard. Are you sure this isn't a special rate for crew members actually working on that ship for their family to visit?

The would mean that a 7 day cruise wouuld only be $56. I don't think so LOL. A world cruise for only for 111 days only $999. Again, don't think so.

It's what a family member pays when there relationrelation is working on board

Oh, well! Guess that no longer means OBC can be used like they had been for the daily "auto tip".

Feel sure many aren't going to be happy about this.

So was it really a tip if someone else was paying it?:confused::confused::confused:

Hi All

If this applies to sales in EU could be interesting as you are not allowed

to advertise a price, then have compulsory charges added on top,

yours Shogun

But, lots of european hotels add a daily 'service' charge.

That is simply what princess needs to call this.

Better than a resort fee.

But, lots of european hotels add a daily 'service' charge.

That is simply what princess needs to call this.

Better than a resort fee.

Any hotel in Europe that adds a service charge has to include it up front at booking time, not added later.

If the cruise 'service charge' became mandatory then it must be included in the price at the beginning, and not added on as 'mandatory' at a later date.

Any hotel in Europe that adds a service charge has to include it up front at booking time, not added later.

If the cruise 'service charge' became mandatory then it must be included in the price at the beginning, and not added on as 'mandatory' at a later date.

If push comes to shove...I would rather have the gratuities added to my fare upfront and have my onboard account only show purchases I have made.

It's what a family member pays when there relationrelation is working on board

On our cruise to Alaska last year we were told the same thing. The transport driver was telling us he works for Princess 3 days a week just to get the price. He was getting ready to do a 34 day cruise (3 cruises b to b to d) all for under $400.

I could only wish.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As I understand it, there are other factors...

1> Capacity, if available at all, these are very very limited berths (someone once told me 2 inside cabins per sailing at best)

2> Rating, to get the super cheap rate for family members you have to have a top level evaluation.

What the driver here was talking about was different, sounds like a crew fill rate, where cruises are offered to staff and workers at cheap rates to fill ships, much like last min deals for Florida cruisers. It's a perk of working there, when I was consulting there, one of my contacts did the PC round trip in an oceanview for like $400 a person. Again, limited in availability. Note, BTW, that crew fills DO pay the daily service charge and full passenger rates for onboard services (hearsay, the exception may be the use of the crew bar and lounge depending on their position and desire)

On our cruise to Alaska last year we were told the same thing. The transport driver was telling us he works for Princess 3 days a week just to get the price. He was getting ready to do a 34 day cruise (3 cruises b to b to d) all for under $400.

I could only wish.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My daughters friend was the environmental officer, if I remember rightly they had 3 in a 2 pax cabin, the girl slept on a roll up mattress on the floor. Rechecked re price it is $ 9 a night

As I understand it, there are other factors...

1> Capacity, if available at all, these are very very limited berths (someone once told me 2 inside cabins per sailing at best)

2> Rating, to get the super cheap rate for family members you have to have a top level evaluation.

At one time, I took a lot of cruises on Emerald.

I knew many of the dancers, and the DJ.

One of the dancers had her mom with her at Christmas, and

her dad with her at New Years.

The DJ had his buddy with him on one cruise, and his girlfriend

with him on another cruise.

The guests had no cabin, they had to stay with the staff member.

I don't remember the exact amount, but it was close to what antsp

quoted. (I seem to remember it being even less).

For the dad, they were able to find an empty doctor's cabin for him,

but it was only luck.

This saved him the terrorizing experience of having to stay in with

the dancers! :)

If push comes to shove...I would rather have the gratuities added to my fare upfront and have my onboard account only show purchases I have made.

For ships that leave and return to Australian ports, gratuities are included. I believe this is because Australians are very poor at tipping. It does not come naturally to us. Thanks mate is considered sufficient.

However I do not think that Princess has gifted us these gratuities because they like us, it is included in the fare you pay. Bit like those river cruises in Europe with "free" airfares. Go on the website and cost the components out separately,

I think I was born cynical.

For ships that leave and return to Australian ports, gratuities are included. I believe this is because Australians are very poor at tipping. It does not come naturally to us. Thanks mate is considered sufficient.

However I do not think that Princess has gifted us these gratuities because they like us, it is included in the fare you pay. Bit like those river cruises in Europe with "free" airfares. Go on the website and cost the components out separately,

Thank you for bringing that up. Here in the U.S. with tipping based on services rendered. At the beginning when we started cruising, the gratuity was given in an envelope and a thank you and a hand shake. Now it seems as we have become their employers, and are expected to pay a pre caluclated rate, so I don't see why they just don't include it in the cruise rate as well.

So, with gratuities included (for Australians but not us, if we book in the USA?) does the crew get higher pay while on your cruises? I do know that if we book here (California) on a cruise that is strictly in Australian waters we are given the notice that tips are not included and will be added to our fare. Wonder how the ship figures how the pay with different clients-You say you were born cynical?

So, with gratuities included (for Australians but not us, if we book in the USA?) does the crew get higher pay while on your cruises? I do know that if we book here (California) on a cruise that is strictly in Australian waters we are given the notice that tips are not included and will be added to our fare. Wonder how the ship figures how the pay with different clients-You say you were born cynical?

Absolutely no idea, but the crew certainly "Seem" to be happy to be sailing here.

For ships that leave and return to Australian ports, gratuities are included.

That has recently been expanded to include repositioning trips for Golden and Diamond.

When they reposition from or to Asia for the season , they are now AUD ships.

Edited by Tranquility Base

That has recently been expanded to include repositioning trips for Golden and Diamond.

When they reposition from or to Asia for the season , they are now AUD ships.

I think it starts this September, but yep.

I think the header is misleading. If it had stated 'for Travel Agents travel' I wouldn't be bothered reading it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

So many thread titles are useless it's almost funny.

I think some people must try to give as little information as they possibly can.

So we are to assume that travel agents travelling at a reduced rate already have been stiffing the staff too? I wonder if these are the same group who advise pax to not pay them inorder to keep the price down?

Why would you assume that? You know what happens when you assume something.

Hi All

If this applies to sales in EU could be interesting as you are not allowed

to advertise a price, then have compulsory charges added on top,

yours Shogun

I have'nt had the time to verify this but I think that here in Canada the same rule applies.

The airlines had to change their way of advertising a low price and then adding all kinds of charges and taxes except for the luggage extras. :confused:

This only applies to bookings made FOR travel agents, not for bookings made through travel agencies. So it only applies if you're booking at a reduced rate or Commodore booking. Just received clarification from Princess.

Thanks for that information :)