UK Ships are we being left out?

What are people's thoughts on why no Oasis or Quantum class ships are being based in the UK this year or next? It seems Indy is the ship of choice for the UK for the next couple of years.

I have my theory's as to why which I posted in my recent review of Indy.

I really hope the UK gets to host a Oasis or Quantum class ship in the future [emoji4]

I believe you only got Oasis class ships the last couple of years is because they had dry dock somewhere in Europe and the they ran some cruises from there before crossing the Atlantic again to resume her normal schedule.

I don't know why there are no Quantum class ships cruising from Europe.

Not only that, we've lost the Brilliance from Harwich as well, :(.

There isn't even an Oasis Class in Barcelona next year. All 3 are sailing from Florida year round. Yawn.:o:eek:

However, I bet we could get Quantum 4 in 2019. But until then, Indy and Navigator only.

Edited by Joe12

I've just come off Harmony and honestly there is good reason not to sail an Oasis class regularly from the UK. It's a fantastic ship but you really need dry and preferably warm weather to fully enjoy it.

When the weather was poor the indoor area seemed crowded and lots of the "fun activities" (ultimate abyss/zip line etc) were closed. When it was sunny the atmosphere of the ship changes and there are lot more activities on offer to people.

I've never sailed Quantum class but I imagine it would be much better suited to variable weather conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi Moqui, thank you for your reply I do agree to a point but we recently got of Indy and it was the same problem when the weather was poor it was crowded indoors but once the sun came out the atmosphere changed and there seemed more room everywhere although the pool areas then got pretty full and the sports deck. I tend to think if you have bad weather it can be a little harder to find things to do because I guess the majority of guests love enjoying the sun and the pools etc.

Last year when Anthem was there all Brits complained about not haven their favourite ship Indy anymore. Now she is back and you complain about no Quantum ship. Navigator is in the UK as well, also bigger than Brilliance who left.

Oasis is just too big for various routings. They will always do the standard and somehow boring runs in the Caribbean and in the Med with repeating ports specially prepared to handle such volume of people.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I am sure not 'all Brits' complained lol. Would be nice to have Indy plus a big brother or sister as well [emoji106]🏻[emoji4]

Not all of them, but a lot did, I would love to see a Quantum class purely as it is more all weather and could cope with our unpredicable seasons.

Navigator and Indy seem very well suited for the UK market.

I would think both Oasis 4 and Quantum 4 would be ideally timed for the Barcelona summer seasons in 2018 and 2019 along with Oasis 5 for the summer of 2021.

The fall release of Quantum 5 in 2020 might allow for a Southampton mini-season, depending where that ship could be headed. Maybe the market by that time could even allow for a year-round European season for RCI.

What are people's thoughts on why no Oasis or Quantum class ships are being based in the UK this year or next? It seems Indy is the ship of choice for the UK for the next couple of years.

I have my theory's as to why which I posted in my recent review of Indy.

I really hope the UK gets to host a Oasis or Quantum class ship in the future [emoji4]

You ask others for their opinions on why no Oasis or Quantum ships based in the UK, please share yours here. It was nice that you posted your theory in another thread where you reviewed Indy, but let us know your own theory in this post that you have made.

Hi Moqui, thank you for your reply I do agree to a point but we recently got of Indy and it was the same problem when the weather was poor it was crowded indoors but once the sun came out the atmosphere changed and there seemed more room everywhere although the pool areas then got pretty full and the sports deck. I tend to think if you have bad weather it can be a little harder to find things to do because I guess the majority of guests love enjoying the sun and the pools etc.

I agree it's probably true of most cruises but Oasis class just lends it's self even more to outdoor entertainment with the aqua theatre, Boardwalk, Central Park etc. I noticed the biggest difference between dry and wet weather on Harmony than other ships I've been on. I've also said Allure in the Caribbean and it just seemed much better suited there.

Not complaining though. Having Harmony out of the U.K. was great but if I was in charge of ship schedules I'd put the oasis class regularly in warmer climates too!

I've just come off Harmony and honestly there is good reason not to sail an Oasis class regularly from the UK. It's a fantastic ship but you really need dry and preferably warm weather to fully enjoy it.

When the weather was poor the indoor area seemed crowded and lots of the "fun activities" (ultimate abyss/zip line etc) were closed. When it was sunny the atmosphere of the ship changes and there are lot more activities on offer to people.

I've never sailed Quantum class but I imagine it would be much better suited to variable weather conditions.

This is spot on. At the end of the day Oasis class was designed for the "boring" caribbean routes out of Florida. Though some yawn at these sailings (I prefer them) they are far and beyond the most popular. These ships require good weather to be used to their fullest. Almost all of the 7 neighborhoods are outside so if its bad weather/cold, they won't get used. The Quantum ships have so much indoor space (indoor pool as well) they are perfect for colder or bad weather.

Freedom class ships are in the middle, but indy still spends winters in the Wester Hemisphere doing 4-5 day sailings :)

Though I have heard the British were generally not very excited about the quantum class. Can't speak for everyone, but if its unpopular, Royal won't do it.

I am sure not 'all Brits' complained lol. Would be nice to have Indy plus a big brother or sister as well [emoji106]🏻[emoji4]

Totally agree. We enjoyed an excellent maiden season cruise on the Anthem out of Southampton last year and were so disappointed that the first season was also the last. She has much more to offer than Indy ( a ship that we love by the way) including a better all- weather offer. Such a shame. 😦

I agree that the Oasis class ship seems more suited to the caribbean. It's design is internally focused with relatively few public areas with views to the outside. Also the heavy outside exposure of the ship (boardwalk, central park) makes it ideal for warm sunny climates.

Years ago we took the Radiance of the Seas out of Florida and were impressed by the views it had from all of the public areas... at the time we commented that this would be a good ship to sail around Alaska.... and years later we again were on the Radiance and it was perfect for Alaska, you could be in line for an elevator or sit in one of the many bars and still have a nice view of the inner passage. It is something to think about when planning a cruise. I am not sure I would want to sail around say the Greek Isles having to rely on having a balcony cabin to see the views..... but Jamaica.... not that much to see.

I agree that the Oasis class ship seems more suited to the caribbean. It's design is internally focused with relatively few public areas with views to the outside. Also the heavy outside exposure of the ship (boardwalk, central park) makes it ideal for warm sunny climates.

Years ago we took the Radiance of the Seas out of Florida and were impressed by the views it had from all of the public areas... at the time we commented that this would be a good ship to sail around Alaska.... and years later we again were on the Radiance and it was perfect for Alaska, you could be in line for an elevator or sit in one of the many bars and still have a nice view of the inner passage. It is something to think about when planning a cruise. I am not sure I would want to sail around say the Greek Isles having to rely on having a balcony cabin to see the views..... but Jamaica.... not that much to see.

Exactly, the Oasis class is touristy. Its perfect for that and thats why they are all in Florida. Because that is what they were designed for. In the caribbean all you see is water except for about half an hour when coming into/leaving port.

Hi All,

I would love to see a Quantum Class ship based out of the UK. I was on Quantum OTS last year and rate it as one of the best ships I've sailed on. I would book that class again in a heart beat.

I just spent the week onboard Harmony and the weather was pretty poor, which meant most of the outside areas were a no go.... even the solarium, which is open to the elements and was freezing! The Harmony (and all 'Oasis class) are totally suited to the Caribbean.

Really hope they base a Quantum Class ship here in the future, until then, I will move back to Celebrity Solstice Class, which is probably my favourite class of ship. I'm not interested in having an Oasis Class based here, I hated not having any sea views from any of the interior spaces, bars or lounges.

Loads of cabins still for sale only a few weeks before sailing.

They are offloading them somewhere because the TA i use showed a load of cabin balconies for sale at not so cheap prices and then they all vanished in one go. So Royal is offloading them somewhere in some obscure foreign market as not to upset the people who paid a small fortune.

Either that or they upgraded a load of people to fill them and then put the insides up for sale at reduced prices.. I cant work out what but they were there and then gone.

Interesting, thanks for the info. I've not seen Indy listed in the weekly sales flyer, so I had no idea that there was any sort of reduced demand.

Edited by clarea

I can't speak to Quantum class (having not sailed them) but in addition to all of the excellent reasons people have already posted about why the oasis class ships are not regularly based out of Europe, I think it might be a more expensive TA to operate--those big ships burn a ton of fuel to go that far--and the eastbound routes seem to need to offer very good pricing to fill and then fill with the types of Travellers not inclined to spend a lot extra onboard I think the company doesn't easily recoup the loss of revenue for those two weeks (one month round trip!) and won't do it unless they have another reason to (dry dock or bringing a new ship in).

It would be excellent if a Quantum class ship was based out of Southampton. Hopefully Royal Caribbean will do so.

I also looked at a sailing for Indy this coming August and for myself, wife and two young children it was just under £8'000.