CHOPS on Grandeur OTS>>>first time!

Never hand the chance to eat at chops...but received free meal upon booking! Tell me about steak and lobster tales...

Can you get multiple orders of entrees like the MDR? Best times to reserve and dine?

Any other advice? Thanks!

Al

Never hand the chance to eat at chops...but received free meal upon booking! Tell me about steak and lobster tales...

Can you get multiple orders of entrees like the MDR? Best times to reserve and dine?

Al

The fee for Chops includes multiple appetizers but only one entree. Additional entrees are $10 each.

Al

no. you only get ONE entree. any additional is fee of I think $10 each.

In all honesty, the meal at the GR Chops was the worst of all Chops we have eaten at. no idea why. the menu is the same fleet wide.

The only tale I can tell is that I do not eat shellfish so have no opinion on Lobster Tails.

the first 2 nights can be very busy with the D+ using their BOGO coupons. formal night are also popular for a few reasons . if you are flexible on timing( early ro late) you will probably find a time that works for you.

Food comments are always subjective but we like Chops and have had good experiences there. IMO Chops on Grandeur is very good. For one of the smaller ships Grandeur has a very nice selection of restaurants that include Chops, Giovanni's Table, Izumi's, and Chefs Table, all of which are very good. There also is a Park Cafe.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Don't get too excited...if you are used to Chris Ruth or Mortons, you will find Chops lacking.

Personally I thought it was actually a bit better than Ruth's Chris, about on par with Morton's.

But neither of those chains is my benchmark for a steak restaurant. That'd belong to Bern's in Tampa.

WOW!! We have our first booking at specialty dining of our choice...

Is there anyone that really likes the steak? ... or should we opt for another venue?

Thanks!

Mike

What ship?

Personally I thought it was actually a bit better than Ruth's Chris, about on par with Morton's.

But neither of those chains is my benchmark for a steak restaurant. That'd belong to Bern's in Tampa.

I love Bern's. My parents went there when it was just a small restaurant, circa 1960. I would love to be able to go there now.

For the OP, we enjoyed our recent Chops experience. However, we were on the Serenade. Look forward to Grandeur.

Btw: what do they have re lobster tails on a 5 day sailing?

I came back from Grandeur and they had lobster tails in the MDR on the last night of the 5 night sailing along with prime rib. They also had a formal night on the second night with a nice steak.

I did not try Chops on this sailing since I was new to cruising and traveling with a friend who had no interest in the specialty restaurants. I was surprised that my random tablemates all ate in the MDR every night and never talked about the specialty restaurants. They were all happy with the MDR.

I might try a specialty restaurant if I go back on Grandeur sometime, but I was not unhappy with most of the food.

I came back from Grandeur and they had lobster tails in the MDR on the last night of the 5 night sailing along with prime rib. They also had a formal night on the second night with a nice steak.

I did not try Chops on this sailing since I was new to cruising and traveling with a friend who had no interest in the specialty restaurants. I was surprised that my random tablemates all ate in the MDR every night and never talked about the specialty restaurants. They were all happy with the MDR.

I might try a specialty restaurant if I go back on Grandeur sometime, but I was not unhappy with most of the food.

Having been a seasoned cruiser and would normally stay away from the upselling of speciality restaurants as the MDR would be perfect food anyway with great choice and a change of menu every day, but on our last cruise we went on ANthem of the seas with Dynamic Dinning and seeing as we were changing restaurant venue every day thought we would spend the extra and try new places to eat.

We did Wonderland x 2, Jamie's Italian x 2 and Chops (2 week sailing). After this experience we will be happy to try a specialty restaurant and pay a small charge as it is worth it IMHO. I wouldn't do speciality every night but as a treat, you are on holiday/vacation after all!

I did both Chops and Giovanni's in January while on the Grandeur. I had read reviews about Chops being not the greatest place to eat, but it was fantastic the night we went. However, it was Giovanni's that was disappointing. We walked away from our meal at Giovanni's disappointed in the fact that we spent the money there. I don't know if the ship was having an off week, but both Giovanni's and Izumi's was a huge disappointment. I'd eat at Chops again, but not Izumi's or Giovanni's. Both Izumi's and Giovanni's had been fantastic on the Radiance last May.