feeding the fish..

The cruise ships are allowed to separate the leftover food scraps into those that are suitable for fish food and those that are not. They then grind them up and dispense the edible parts out to sea, and incinerate the rest of the scraps. Your thoughts are not supported by reality !!

Let's clarify reality. Did you conveniently leave out the fact that discharge is *not* in coastal areas. And that discharge is highly regulated by the maritime pollution International Convention for the Prevention of Pollution from Ships which requires ships to be at least 12 miles off shore and not in sensitive marine areas before discharging waste food,,, which is not anywhere being discussed in this thread.

This is what I have seen most often. Just pick up a mini box in the buffet at breakfast and throw it in your beach bag. All neatly sealed until you are ready to use it.

And what happens if the fish dont like that brand or type.They could turn on you,throw a tantrum and leave the table.

Please check the sugar content as well,or we will end up with obese fish in the future,which could cost millions to correct.

One option is here in Australia we send snorkelers out with a zip-lock bag,with tuna chunks and fish blood,once in water,open and empty,and then float around marveling at the really big fish that have been attracted,they will be easily noticeable,as they will have big fins sticking out of their backs.Some have really big smiles,some odd heads shaped like a hammer.

Please enjoy:):):eek:;)

DO NOT FEED FISH

I do not usually shout with either capitals or red letters and not with gigantic one but I think feeding fish human or pet foods is wrong.

How do you feel about feeding fish to humans?;).

We are heading to Bermuda in the next few days. We love snorkeling and were thinking of bringing some food to attract the fish.

Someone had suggested dog food. I know. Sounded weird to me too. I did it last cruise. And it worked! Well, kinda. The dog food "pellets" got wet and nasty really quickly.

So..to all of you avid snorkelers. What would you suggest? What works for you? Heard someone mention cereal before too.

Thanks!

Cheerios work.

do not feed fish

i do not usually shout with either capitals or red letters and not with gigantic one but i think feeding fish human or pet foods is wrong.

Wrong

Fish do eat fish !!!!!

Edited by biker@sea

...it seems a bit ironic that a forum dedicated to man made vessels weighing countless tons traveling in the oceans while feeding people tons of seafood can have a thread about the environmental impact of feeding fish. :confused:

The sunscreen you wear while snorkeling is far more of a real threat to the fish and the reefs. It is killing reefs around the world. Some bread, or whatever, ain't killing anything!

Thank you, you two, for the reality check. You are both correct. We cruise on high tonnage vessels that discharge sewage, food, carbon and even small amounts of oil at sea, and then we lather ourselves in a lotion that is toxic to ocean life, but throwing a handful of food at fish warrants huge red letters.

No, you shouldn't feed fish, but considering what we did to the ocean getting to that snorkeling spot, it kinda seems hypocritical to be so adamantly against it.

Thank you, you two, for the reality check. You are both correct. We cruise on high tonnage vessels that discharge sewage, food, carbon and even small amounts of oil at sea, and then we lather ourselves in a lotion that is toxic to ocean life, but throwing a handful of food at fish warrants huge red letters.

No, you shouldn't feed fish, but considering what we did to the ocean getting to that snorkeling spot, it kinda seems hypocritical to be so adamantly against it.

I don't think anyone was posting about what cruising or other things do to the environment, that is a whole different topic. It is just that food that is unnatural to the fish can cause them harm. It would be like one feeding their dog chocolate, the dog would love to eat it and will certainly beg for it, but it can kill them. We don't know if the ingredients in the cereal, dog food, etc. does any harm to the digestive system of the fish. Too many mammals, fish, birds, etc. are harmed and killed by those that want to use them for their own enjoyment and it is really sad that folks don't care enough about other species to leave them alone.

I don't think anyone was posting about what cruising or other things do to the environment, that is a whole different topic. It is just that food that is unnatural to the fish can cause them harm. It would be like one feeding their dog chocolate, the dog would love to eat it and will certainly beg for it, but it can kill them. We don't know if the ingredients in the cereal, dog food, etc. does any harm to the digestive system of the fish. Too many mammals, fish, birds, etc. are harmed and killed by those that want to use them for their own enjoyment and it is really sad that folks don't care enough about other species to leave them alone.

My post about ship's waste was directly related to this subject. That's perfectly ok.

On the way to that snorkeling spot, the cruise ship dumps about a ton of human food waste, much of which gets consumed by fish at sea, but suddenly, while snorkeling, it's sad that folks don't care enough to leave other species alone?

Come one. Can you really not see the irony here?

I'm not an advocate for fish feeding either, but I have enough sense to see it's a little hypocritical to preach not feeding fish by someone on a cruise ship.

My post about ship's waste was directly related to this subject. That's perfectly ok.

On the way to that snorkeling spot, the cruise ship dumps about a ton of human food waste, much of which gets consumed by fish at sea, but suddenly, while snorkeling, it's sad that folks don't care enough to leave other species alone?

Come one. Can you really not see the irony here?

I'm not an advocate for fish feeding either, but I have enough sense to see it's a little hypocritical to preach not feeding fish by someone on a cruise ship.

I wasn't saying you were off topic, just that what we and cruising do to our environment is a whole different matter, one I'm sure we could all debate in length.

Many cruising/snorkeling spots are protected marine environments, because of the reefs (another topic), so the ships are not dumping their waste when in port near these areas. I believe they have to be 3 miles out of port. I don't condone them dumping anything, but since they are allowed, they can do it. I just get so tired of hearing of mammals, fish, birds that are hurt or killed because of our need to get selfies or pictures with them and have interactions with them. Shouldn't it just be enough of watch how beautiful they are?

Edited by NLH Arizona

I just get so tired of hearing of mammals, fish, birds that are hurt or killed because of our need to get selfies or pictures with them and have interactions with them.

Can you elaborate on this? I'm trying to understand how animals are being killed by selfies. :confused:

The first time I visited Bermuda was a land trip. I stayed in a resort right on the water with several reefs readily available right off the beach. I went out snorkeling and while I was enjoying the view, a fish - Sargent Major, I believe - came up and bit me on the thigh hard enough to notice and hurt. My mother refused to believe that a wild fish would just randomly bite a human. Until we took a guided snorkeling trip with the resort. The guide tucked bread into the legs of our shorty wetsuits so we could feed the fish on the trip. The resort has taught the fish in that area that humans carry food strapped to their thighs; it was no wonder at all that I'd been bitten.

The first time I visited Bermuda was a land trip. I stayed in a resort right on the water with several reefs readily available right off the beach. I went out snorkeling and while I was enjoying the view, a fish - Sargent Major, I believe - came up and bit me on the thigh hard enough to notice and hurt. My mother refused to believe that a wild fish would just randomly bite a human. Until we took a guided snorkeling trip with the resort. The guide tucked bread into the legs of our shorty wetsuits so we could feed the fish on the trip. The resort has taught the fish in that area that humans carry food strapped to their thighs; it was no wonder at all that I'd been bitten.

My purpose in snorkeling is to see natural behaviors. If I wanted to see fish swarm around a diver with food I'd go to Sea World. I would be upset at that kind of interaction, as I think you are.

BTW - edited to try and indicate this isn't directed at you but to all of us:

It's legal to feed fish in many areas still, so people can use their own judgement about doing it. There is more impact than just what you bring, though.

Imagine some dog does what a dog needs to do on your lawn. OK, fine, you go out and pick it up. Irritating but certainly not too big a deal. Now, imagine a company drops off 2,000 dogs a week that come and do what they have to do. There's a chain reaction from that much "organic" material being deposited on your lawn; the grass dies, flies come and lay their eggs, and it pretty much stinks up the neighborhood.

The organic material from your Cheerios, etc. dissolves and settles in on the reef. "What's a few Cheerios?" is equivalent to one of those dogs saying "What's a single poopie?" It's true that puppy left a single poopie, but the 1,999 others did as well.

The unnatural material can kill the reef from the debris itself, and from algae blooms. Most of us wouldn't strangle a puppy to death (unless maybe if it was one of those 2,000) and so I think most of us don't want to kill reef animals either.

Edited by fshagan
Commentary not directed at the quoted poster!

Shouldn't it just be enough of watch how beautiful they are?

Hey...I totally agree. I was just snorkeling a reef offshore from my home yesterday. Never will you seen me feeding fish unless it's leftover chum from a fishing trip. The only point I was making was the irony of this subject on a cruise website. On a regular diving/snorkeling board, I never would have pointed out this irony.

I too have been bitten by a fish while snorkelling. Drew blood and hurt! Due to guides "feeding" the fish in order to get a good draw of fish...just saying.

My purpose in snorkeling is to see natural behaviors. If I wanted to see fish swarm around a diver with food I'd go to Sea World. I would be upset at that kind of interaction, as I think you are.

BTW - edited to try and indicate this isn't directed at you but to all of us:

It's legal to feed fish in many areas still, so people can use their own judgement about doing it. There is more impact than just what you bring, though.

Imagine some dog does what a dog needs to do on your lawn. OK, fine, you go out and pick it up. Irritating but certainly not too big a deal. Now, imagine a company drops off 2,000 dogs a week that come and do what they have to do. There's a chain reaction from that much "organic" material being deposited on your lawn; the grass dies, flies come and lay their eggs, and it pretty much stinks up the neighborhood.

The organic material from your Cheerios, etc. dissolves and settles in on the reef. "What's a few Cheerios?" is equivalent to one of those dogs saying "What's a single poopie?" It's true that puppy left a single poopie, but the 1,999 others did as well.

The unnatural material can kill the reef from the debris itself, and from algae blooms. Most of us wouldn't strangle a puppy to death (unless maybe if it was one of those 2,000) and so I think most of us don't want to kill reef animals either.

Excellent post.

Let's clarify reality. Did you conveniently leave out the fact that discharge is *not* in coastal areas. And that discharge is highly regulated by the maritime pollution International Convention for the Prevention of Pollution from Ships which requires ships to be at least 12 miles off shore and not in sensitive marine areas before discharging waste food,,, which is not anywhere being discussed in this thread.

Thank you for the uninformed lecture, but this is the quote I responded to. As you can see, my response is in line with the comment.

I think feeding fish human or pet foods is wrong.

No mention was made of what locations are acceptable or not.

Hey. How about the concept of offsetting the cruise ship pollution by being thoughtful with everything else. Just because it's ironic is not a very solid reason to act irresponsibly. Another poster mentioned they saw the guides doing it (feeding fish). I wouldn't think that would be a very good reason either.

Edited by kathybelcher2433