GREASE - Keep your children away

Many years ago one of my family members thought it was horrible that I took my teenage daughters to a movie that would be rated PG 13 now, because it showed a couple in a serious relationship in bed together. This same person took her daughters to movies that had so much violence that even today they would be R rated, I told her I hoped my girls would grow up and have loving sexual relationships so I was fine exposing them to those type of movies. I wondered what she hoped for her girls with the movies she let them see. Fortunately all of the girls are now women and either married or in a committed relationship. And seeing the violence did not make them violent.

OP - It is nice that you are concerned about your impressionable children, but I suspect your concerns are over blown.

I hope you enjoyed the other aspects of the show ( singing, dancing, costuming) and enjoyed the cruise. By the way, if you are on a ship that is performing Chicago, I recommend that you skip it.

M

I would also watch out for Come Fly with Me on Oasis. The aerial acrobats got into some very interesting positions above the crowd.

I believe i told everything i can. I am going to enjoy the rest of my cruise. Can not spend my time fighting with smoking supporters.

Just be sure that cancer is not a joke and really kills or even worst you live with cancer and every day beg to die.

BYE

By sheltering your kids to seeing people smoke will not stop them from smoking, but good ol' educating them to the dangers might. Use it as a teaching opportunity.

You do not need to scream to me. I was not the one judging whether other people are raising "well-parented kids" or not.

Please have an idea about discussion before judging me.

You said "Bye" many posts ago. Why do you still continue to rant especially when so many have explained the error in your thinking.

I think your original post was far, far off base.

Also....no one screamed at you.....in English using all capitals instead of quotation marks or underling is acceptable for titles.

Edited by beachnative

Did they take out the scenes with underage drinking such as when all of the girls are in Marti's bedroom for a sleepover? Or the song "sandra dee" which makes fun of her for not smoking, drinking, or making out with a boy? Portraying smoking on stage is minor compared to other things brought up in Grease. I can't believe the OP was so concerned about smoking portrayed in a play. There are much worse things a kid will see on ship just walking the pool decks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I am now on the maiden voyage of Harmony Of The Seas and just seen the show Grease.

I am very much suprised that Royalcaribben sold this show to tobacco companies and created it like a smoking advertisement for teenagers. Several times (i counted more than 6) players are smoking real cigarette on the stage and showing this as a nature of being adult.

Here in Europe, its mostly forbidden to advertise tobacco material. But i see that big tobacco companies found their way of advertesing in Europe by entering to cruise ship shows where all age groups are able to see it. In my opinion, these scenes are easily can be adapted to a non-smoking version, but its very clear that company did not want it, or did not care about it.

So, the managers and workers of RCCL is free to tell their children that its a normal habit to smoke, but i strongly advice everybody to keep their children away of this show if you do not want them to be a smoker in future and live long.

And just another question of this situation, is it allowed to smoke on Royal Theater?

You make the assumption that the cigarettes being used in the show are real ones....when I doubt that many (if any) of the singers and dancers in the show probably do actually smoke real cigarettes in real life. It would be RIDICULOUS for the cruise line to expect 'non smoking' performers to take up smoking just for the role. We all know how harmful smoking is.

Yes, the script could have been reworked, but we could just use props that are designed for effect, without really being 'smoked'.

Effect of Turkey's Smoking laws:

The sales of outdoor heaters have increased because entertainment venues provide heated outdoor seating for smokers.

In July 2009 a customer shot and killed the owner of a restaurant in the southwestern town of Saruhanli because he was angry that his cigarettes had been confiscated.

A member of the state media watchdog commented on the television blurring in 2010: "Hülya Alphas said the blurring effect being employed so frequently works against the ban because it increases attention attracted to smoking by disrupting the concentration of viewers.

So OP do you stay inside all day so you don't witness smoking?

The real effect of Turkey's smoking laws;

Percentage of people using tobacco products down to %27 from %33 in last 2 years.

People having new lung cancer is down %6 in 2 years.

I am not in anyway a supporter of my goverment, mostly i hate from them, but find some laws better than past.

And, tomorrow is actually WORLD ANTI TOBACCO day organized by WHO

I am assuming by all the grammar mistakes that English is not your first language and perhaps you have never seen the movie Grease?

Yes, its not my first language, but i also believe that i speak it better than most of the USA citizens. I did not know thats a crime making grammar mistakes. I am guilty.

I have seen the movie (when i am not adult), also played in high school theatre.

I am very much suprised that Royalcaribben sold this show to tobacco companies and created it like a smoking advertisement for teenagers.

What proof do you have of this? Quit making things up which simply are not true!

Why don't you have some kids yourself before you go judging whether other people are raising "well-parented kids" or not. There are many themes in GREASE and smoking would not be among the top three that I would bring up as a topic of conversation with my child.

I had the same thought--there is a lot to talk about in Grease (and if they were true to the original, the stage play is darker than the movie). Smoking, which I am highly opposed to, would not have likely been one we'd have talked about after seeing the show--that is something the kids have heard plenty about and would not need more rehashing over seeing it portrayed as what some wanna be "cool" kids in the 50s might have done.

I'm struggling right now... as I'm not sure if this post is intended to troll the forum or if this is a legit concern.

From a modern day context theres lots of reasons to not take a child to see Grease. The fact it has tobacco use in it is absolutely the lowest concern.

If your concern is shielding your children from tobacco use I'd encourage you to have direct conversations on your concerns. Open and honest dialog will go further then covering their eyes from the naughty bits.

Hope that helps.

What proof do you have of this? Quit making things up which simply are not true!

Its not something new that tobacco companies and entertainment companies make secret deals for advertesing smoking on movies and shows.

There are several Hollywood companies accepted this situation and declared that they will stop doing that.

If Royalcaribbean is also a good company, organizing social acts like Make-A-Wish, they should also stop making actions which shows bad habits better. This must be companies social responsibility. Or make the show adult only.

Just came out of the same showing. They didn't look like real cigarettes. What I do find odd is that them 'smoking' caused such offence but you are seemingly ok with the swearing, gesticulating, references to teen pregnancy etc.

The show was outstanding, the cast superb and the only thing that hacked me off were the many guests who decided it was appropriate to talk loudly, have cell phones ringing and generally cause ongoing disturbances throughout the entire performance.

You clearly know Grease and were aware of the themes that run through the show. Why should the show should be adapted from the way it was written? As you said, it references a time where things were different and therefore to alter it would mean it is no longer keeping with the time in which it is set.

Rather than view this so negatively if you are that concerned, use it as an example to teach your children that things were different 40+ years ago and that the show represented accurately life for teenagers in that time. Explain that now it would be portrayed differently as people are aware of the dangers of smoking.

I was wondering why there wasn't more outrage about the other aspects of the show. In fact that was more what I thought the poster was going to be complaining about. I also would never imagine Grease to be a child oriented show.

Again parents need to do their homework and make a decision on if any particular show is appropriate for their child.

I'm vehemently anti-smoking but I know Grease, I know the play, I've seen the movie multiple times (as have my kids) and it's about a different time. My daughter is going to be 13 in two weeks. She's singing the part of Sandy next week in school - do I think she's going to take up smoking? Nope. I'm also of the mind that people should make their own decisions and not try to live other peoples' lives for them. Censorship is not cool.

Oh yes keep those impressionable children away from that show. Smoking, drinking, sex and rock and roll, the devils music dontcha:rolleyes: know. Never allow a sleep over either, remember what happened to Rizzo when she snuck out to see Kinicky. :eek: What more can I say.:D:D

Don't let them watch Dragnet reruns!! Those were real cigarettes and Jack Webb even advertised that doctors said cigarettes were safe!

My mom and dad both smoked and our walls were yellow from the nicotine. It was my job to keep the ash trays clean. I hated it and I have never put a cigarette in my mouth and told my husband of 20 years if he wanted me to marry him he had to quit. And he did.

Did they take out the scenes with underage drinking such as when all of the girls are in Marti's bedroom for a sleepover? Or the song "sandra dee" which makes fun of her for not smoking, drinking, or making out with a boy? Portraying smoking on stage is minor compared to other things brought up in Grease. I can't believe the OP was so concerned about smoking portrayed in a play. There are much worse things a kid will see on ship just walking the pool decks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I very much agree with your post but the wording of "there are worse things" reminded me of yet another Grease song "There are worse things I could do". LOL