Who has mustered a hundred times?

smellycruzer

<<...If "Elite" has the option so should platinum, ruby and Gold, after my October cruise I will be elite, that doesn't matter, I think everyone should attend...>>

(Pardon the quoting style here, but for some reason, I can't get the quotation "icon" to work in this thread right now :()

I agree with you. Plus, I reiterate what I stated earlier, even if someone has cruised dozens and dozens of times and knows everything by heart, when something does change, whether it is a procedure, equipment or something else, how does that person who has been cruising since Noah was a captain, learn about that new item if he/she is not present at the muster when the new info is put out? How would the company/ship keep track of when the last time a person had been through a muster?

When I hear someone say something like "I can walk to every muster station in the Princess fleet with my eyes closed" the first thought that comes to my mind is "I'll take that bet, how much do you want to wager?" I'll bet that if you gave a written test after the muster, a goodly percentage of the people would not pass it, either because they're talking to their friends/family during the presentation, or don't understand what is said, or just weren't paying attention. I also suspect that corporate lawyers would have a fit if they, the company, would ever try and come up with a way for people to "opt out" of attending the muster for whatever reason, simply because of the legal ramifications (liability) of such an action.

But, this discussion is really an exercise in futility because nobody, on either side, would probably ever change their minds on this subject. :rolleyes:

Tom

That's easy. Just print out a paper (similar to what they hand out when you miss a muster) & leave it in all the cabins. A quick review will let you know if anything new has occurred.

As a lifelong cruiser who perhaps has sailed a few too many times, I've enjoyed yet endured one too many muster drills. The first few times were fun and exciting, and sometimes you even get to go through some service corridors that are typically off-limits, but at this point I can walk to every muster station in the Princess fleet with my eyes closed. I fully understand the importance and practicality of such events. But the MSC 92 amendment to SOLAS regulation III/19 adopted the requirement of "musters of newly embarked passengers prior to or immediately upon departure." What isn't clear is whether Princess elite members could be granted the option of attending muster on ships that they have sailed multiple times and acknowledge awareness of muster protocols. One could argue that those individuals are indeed not newly embarked passengers.

Here is some more background but wouldn't it be a nice perk for frequent Princess passengers?

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4719

Since this has popped back up on the first page, let me jump in again. How could you legally argue that just because you've sailed before on the same ship or type of ship, that you are not a "newly" embarked passenger. While I allow that B2B should be given some consideration, just because you are a higher loyalty level than someone else doesn't mean you should be allowed to pass on muster.

Let me take your challenge of finding your muster station on any Princess ship with your eyes closed. Now do it with an entire section of decks taken out as the designated fire zone. For example, on Coral, you are in the Horizon Court and your muster station is the Bayou Cafe, but Wheelhouse Bar is on fire, so every deck above deck 7 in the fire zone between the forward and midships elevators is considered to be the fire zone and therefore not passable. What is the best way to get there? This is what I train the crew on every drill, and they still end up becoming casualties by walking through the fire zone.

Learning something from the drill is all about you. You will get out of it what you want to, or what you put into it.

Since this has popped back up on the first page, let me jump in again. How could you legally argue that just because you've sailed before on the same ship or type of ship, that you are not a "newly" embarked passenger. While I allow that B2B should be given some consideration, just because you are a higher loyalty level than someone else doesn't mean you should be allowed to pass on muster.

Let me take your challenge of finding your muster station on any Princess ship with your eyes closed. Now do it with an entire section of decks taken out as the designated fire zone. For example, on Coral, you are in the Horizon Court and your muster station is the Bayou Cafe, but Wheelhouse Bar is on fire, so every deck above deck 7 in the fire zone between the forward and midships elevators is considered to be the fire zone and therefore not passable. What is the best way to get there? This is what I train the crew on every drill, and they still end up becoming casualties by walking through the fire zone.

Learning something from the drill is all about you. You will get out of it what you want to, or what you put into it.

Well said and much better than what I said.

Tom

But you are newly embarked. On that cruise.

Like anything, practice makes perfect. So I think everyone should attend the muster.

We have cruised well over 50 times, I really don't get what there is to practice??

In any true emergency... the drill is not going to make a lot of difference.

We do it because it is required.

We have cruised well over 50 times, I really don't get what there is to practice??

In any true emergency... the drill is not going to make a lot of difference.

We do it because it is required.

I fully agree with you but there are some that think that they have to practice the route to the muster station & how to put on a life jacket again and again. Why, I'll never know since if you've done it dozens of times it never changes.

Maybe they think they'll be the only ones travelling to that muster station by themselves? :D

As a lifelong cruiser who perhaps has sailed a few too many times, I've enjoyed yet endured one too many muster drills. The first few times were fun and exciting, and sometimes you even get to go through some service corridors that are typically off-limits, but at this point I can walk to every muster station in the Princess fleet with my eyes closed. I fully understand the importance and practicality of such events. But the MSC 92 amendment to SOLAS regulation III/19 adopted the requirement of "musters of newly embarked passengers prior to or immediately upon departure." What isn't clear is whether Princess elite members could be granted the option of attending muster on ships that they have sailed multiple times and acknowledge awareness of muster protocols. One could argue that those individuals are indeed not newly embarked passengers.

Here is some more background but wouldn't it be a nice perk for frequent Princess passengers?

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4719

I'm fairly new to cruising, and not even close to those people who have Elite status. :)

OP is interesting perspective on getting an exemption from attending the mandatory muster presentation.

So, is it like those kind of people that ignore and pay no attention to the safety presentation on aircraft? Sort of like frequent flyers. Or is the anology not comparable?

Maybe you people with Elite status can choose to be exempt from the muster presentation and remain in your cabin? Since you've Elite, and have been there, done that, many times.

Is it possible those PAX with mobility issues in scooters, wheelchairs, walkers can also be exempt from attending the muster presentation?

Good luck, and enjoy your cruise. Report back if you are successful getting exempt from the mandatory muster presentation?

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Yes, well said. Since the muster drill is required after embarkation, it would be wise to make the best of it, rather than whining.

I wonder if those who are whining have ever really been in a life threatening emergency situation? Emergency situations are sobering, and they make you more amenable to safety procedures and concerns.

For anyone who thinks skipping muster for any reason (or not paying attention, or showing up wasted), I'll just leave this right here.

costa-concordia1.jpg

Think you can find your way to muster in that situation? 32 people didn't. Maybe you like your odds. If I happen to see you looking lost, dazed, and confused during an emergency, can you count on me to help you?

There's not much you can do in an aircraft emergency to save yourself. The analogy that muster on a ship is equal to safety announcements on an aircraft is a poor one. If your plane winds up in a burning heap and you're lucky enough to be alive, there is only one thing to do...find the exit or follow the herd.

Go to muster. It's not an option, and it shouldn't be.

Let's remember that both of these examples were not all that long ago!

asiana-crash1.jpg

Edited by triptolemus

For anyone who thinks skipping muster for any reason (or not paying attention, or showing up wasted), I'll just leave this right here.

Think you can find your way to muster in that situation? 32 people didn't. Maybe you like your odds. If I happen to see you looking lost, dazed, and confused during an emergency, can you count on me to help you?

There's not much you can do in an aircraft emergency to save yourself. The analogy that muster on a ship is equal to safety announcements on an aircraft is a poor one. If your plane winds up in a burning heap and you're lucky enough to be alive, there is only one thing to do...find the exit or follow the herd.

Go to muster. It's not an option, and it shouldn't be.

Let's remember that both of these examples were not all that long ago!

The people on the Costa ship had plenty of time to find a life jacket even if it wasn't the one in their room. Unfortunately the ones who perished were depending on someone else to save them as I recall and that didn't begin to happen for hours later. No amount of muster information would have done much good except for taking along extra clothing to keep warm.

For the people on the plane....well, good luck. Find an exit door & bail out.

The people on the Costa ship had plenty of time to find a life jacket even if it wasn't the one in their room. Unfortunately the ones who perished were depending on someone else to save them as I recall and that didn't begin to happen for hours later. No amount of muster information would have done much good except for taking along extra clothing to keep warm.

For the people on the plane....well, good luck. Find an exit door & bail out.

The loss of life on the Concordia was due to one thing, and one thing only. The failure to sound the muster signal in a timely fashion. Those who perished were either those who were trying to assist others, or those who felt they had to go back to their cabin to get their lifejackets. However, most had no idea how to get to the assigned lifeboat station, or what their station was, causing confusion. Given more time, the passengers and crew would have sorted things out, but in the short time between announcing the muster and announcing abandon ship (about 4 minutes, IIRC without digging out the report), many had no idea where to go and crowded at the first station they came to.

The loss of life on the Concordia was due to one thing, and one thing only. The failure to sound the muster signal in a timely fashion. Those who perished were either those who were trying to assist others, or those who felt they had to go back to their cabin to get their lifejackets. However, most had no idea how to get to the assigned lifeboat station, or what their station was, causing confusion. Given more time, the passengers and crew would have sorted things out, but in the short time between announcing the muster and announcing abandon ship (about 4 minutes, IIRC without digging out the report), many had no idea where to go and crowded at the first station they came to.

Thanks for your knowledgeable and insightful comments.

The facts enumerated above demonstrate the importance of passengers and crew regularly practicing the muster drill.

Gonna chime in again since this thread has 9 lives (more then those who perished on the Concordia and a few other ship sinkings or disasters). To answer the question, yes, we have mustered far more then 100 times (we have cruised extensively for about forty years). And, we never whine! Practice is important, not just for the passengers, but also for the crew. Does practice always avoid future problems? No...but it sure does not hurt...and may do a lot of good. A couple of years ago HAL changed their muster policy and now make it clear that if you fail to participate in the drill, you will not be able to cruise. And yes, there have been a few cases where passengers were left behind for just this reason.

And before the "whiners" complain...they might want to consider that the cruise ships are only complying with international regulations (SOLAS Regulation 19 2.2 and 2.3...among others). And the whiners might want to consider that the crew, many of whom have worked on ships for decades, continue to drill (often several times a week).

Hank

Gonna chime in again since this thread has 9 lives (more then those who perished on the Concordia and a few other ship sinkings or disasters). To answer the question, yes, we have mustered far more then 100 times (we have cruised extensively for about forty years). And, we never whine! Practice is important, not just for the passengers, but also for the crew. Does practice always avoid future problems? No...but it sure does not hurt...and may do a lot of good. A couple of years ago HAL changed their muster policy and now make it clear that if you fail to participate in the drill, you will not be able to cruise. And yes, there have been a few cases where passengers were left behind for just this reason.

Princess began a similar program but has since discontinued it. They now follow up with a letter to your cabin for all people who have missed the talk outlining the highlights of muster.

And before the "whiners" complain...they might want to consider that the cruise ships are only complying with international regulations (SOLAS Regulation 19 2.2 and 2.3...among others). And the whiners might want to consider that the crew, many of whom have worked on ships for decades, continue to drill (often several times a week).

It's their job.

Hank

see above