Who has mustered a hundred times?

smellycruzer

A few years ago, I was on a HAL Med cruise that I booked as a 28-day cruise but was also sold as two 14-day cruises. We were required to attend the 2nd Muster. Two nights later, the emergency signal went off at 1:50am. A fire onboard. It amazed me how many people, most of whom had booked the full 28 days and thus attended two Musters, didn't know what to do. Some even ran in their nightclothes with their life jackets to their Muster station; not dressed, no jacket, totally unprepared. Turns out it was a transformer in the cooler (commercial refrigerator) in the buffet. It was out within minutes. This experience impressed on me the need to not only continue to attend Muster but to also pay attention.

I totally agree with you. I never mind going to Muster.

In 40 years working on ships, I've done well north of 1000 emergency drills, and I consider each and every one of them a learning experience. Is it an inconvenience? Yes, it interferes with the daily routine, but is it necessary to ensure "muscle memory" to know instinctively what to do? Also yes. Even some who have attended 100 musters may not react instinctively, and hesitation or indecision can be trouble.

If you find the musters to be repetitive, you might want to try to challenge yourself by setting a scenario. Just prior to muster, go to a chosen location on the ship, lets say Lido deck, aft. Decide that there is a fire in the MDR. Now determine the best route from your location on the Lido deck to your muster station without going near or above the MDR. This is how we train the crew to think.

Edited by chengkp75

I think the muster drills need to be overhauled. While the commentary is totally inappropriate for regular passengers they still need to find the route to their muster station. Each ship has minor differences.

The best that could be done is a muster drill that marks you off that you know the appropriate route to your station and dispense with the long and repetitive commentary and replace it with an in cabin television media presentation that runs repetitively after embarkation forcing passengers to watch it in their cabin and save precious time rather than the burden of crowding and congestion doing the drill.

I personally see the drills as disorganised and chaotic and in my professional opinion from service in the Navy I am sceptical from what I have seen on a Princess ship that passengers would be able to evacuate in an orderly fashion.

One of the biggest problems I have seen is people not taking them seriously and turning it into a meet and greet and congesting passageways opposed to making a timely and speedy line to the muster station.

You learn something new here every day! So, do you just stay n your cabin during the "second" muster of the B2B?

On Princess you don't have to stay in your cabin for the "second" muster on a B2B. The drill is piped into your cabin and is LOUD even on your balcony.

The bars are closed for muster so we get a drink before it begins and sit outside around the pool area and chat others who are also "In Transit". :)

So, do you just stay n your cabin during the "second" muster of the B2B?

That's our signal to return to the cabin, shower and dress for sailaway and the evening. Then, while everyone is putting their life vests in their cabin, we head to our favorite sailaway spot with a drink.

Thanks for the reply. And do they question you? Or do you have to prove your B2B status in any way?

They've never question me for not attending except for one time when they were announcing names for make up sessions for those that skipped out on their initial muster meeting. They've since stopped that practice & now just send out a letter spelling out the details of muster for you to read.

I think the muster drills need to be overhauled.

The best that could be done is a muster drill that marks you off that you know the appropriate route to your station and dispense with the long and repetitive commentary and replace it with an in cabin television media presentation that runs repetitively after embarkation forcing passengers to watch it in their cabin and save precious time rather than the burden of crowding and congestion doing the drill.

That would be a worthless solution for passengers like us. We NEVER turn the TV on. :eek: We've had passengers and crew ask how our reception of X network is and we're clueless. I don't disagree that a video might be a good change, though. Delta and I suspect other airlines now have a humorous video presentation of the safety instructions they have to present, and they change it periodically so it is at least somewhat entertaining. If the cruise line could make and then show a video to the passengers in each muster station, that would be an improvement.

On the 2016 world cruise we were told that per the US coast guard regulations we had to attend one mustard drill per month. So we attended 5 on one cruise. It is a pain, but it did make me go through my mind what I would need to grab in case of a real emergency. They also had us practice a pirate drill so that we would know what do if the ship was approached by pirates. The crew had to practice as well, apart from the drills we attended.

On the 2016 world cruise we were told that per the US coast guard regulations we had to attend one mustard drill per month. So we attended 5 on one cruise. It is a pain, but it did make me go through my mind what I would need to grab in case of a real emergency. They also had us practice a pirate drill so that we would know what do if the ship was approached by pirates. The crew had to practice as well, apart from the drills we attended.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. :D

Hi All

I would take a different view, muster is always well organised and we are

prepared for it, why not do a surprise muster drill, or may be one at night,

would be a good test of how good we all are at doing the drill,

but then the reasons why they do not,

the number of passengers that would die of a heart attack, the number who

would be injured in the stampede down the stairwells,

then a few might even jump over board,

if you have ever been inside a cruise ship when the power is switch off

its a very scary place, we need to do muster a hundred times so that when

disaster strikes we act on instinct because you will be very lucky to be calm

enough to recall your training.

yours Shogun

The first few times were fun and exciting, and sometimes you even get to go through some service corridors that are typically off-limits, but at this point I can walk to every muster station in the Princess fleet with my eyes closed.

I will take that bet! Let me know how much the wager will be and we'll get a 3rd party to hold our bets. I'll even buy you a drink with the winnings I'll walk away with too!

I fully understand the importance and practicality of such events. But the MSC 92 amendment to SOLAS regulation III/19 adopted the requirement of "musters of newly embarked passengers prior to or immediately upon departure."

I also doubt that you fully understand the importance since you want to get out of doing it. How would you know about that "one change" that had been instituted for some reason or other that occurred since your last cruise on the ship? You know the one I mean, the once that could cost you or someone else their lives. Not probable? True, but possible.

Tom

Edited by Pierlesscruisers

Granted we have only cruised 3 times on Princess however we find that it is our responsibility as a passenger to do the emergency drill.

Why not take the time to LEARN and LISTEN to something that just MIGHT save YOUR life??

When we are patiently waiting for it to start, I see a lot of excitement of being on a cruise and people chatting away.

What I will give a stink eye too, is the ones that are chatting while the instructions are being given. That really pisses me off. Okay, maybe your not in need of listening..but I AM! So be respectful. Rant done. :D

A few years ago, I was on a HAL Med cruise that I booked as a 28-day cruise but was also sold as two 14-day cruises. We were required to attend the 2nd Muster. Two nights later, the emergency signal went off at 1:50am. A fire onboard. It amazed me how many people, most of whom had booked the full 28 days and thus attended two Musters, didn't know what to do. Some even ran in their nightclothes with their life jackets to their Muster station; not dressed, no jacket, totally unprepared. Turns out it was a transformer in the cooler (commercial refrigerator) in the buffet. It was out within minutes. This experience impressed on me the need to not only continue to attend Muster but to also pay attention.

Same on the Star Princess fire. We were in our muster for 9 hours and they were constantly having to head back to people's cabin's because they forgot medication. So many people showed up in the sleep wear. We took a few extra seconds to remember as much from the drill as possible and then headed to our muster.

And this was when they DID have the TVs on during embarkation on a constant loop about what to do in an emergency.

We still go to Muster every time and listen to what they have to say.

We have mustered more then 100 times (on 14 cruise lines and over 60 different vessels) and have no problem with those safety drills. There are multiple reasons that safety boat drills must be done on every cruise (and everyone must attend) including international requirements, USCG requirements, and just plain common sense. And by the way, many cruise lines no longer require you even take your lifejacket to the drills (because too many folks were being injured by tripping over straps). But knowing the procedures on each ship could save your life...and procedures do change over time (even on the same ship). And on our long cruises it is the norm to be required to attend multiple drills. On one HAL cruise we actually had 3 drills in the first 9 days (a strange situation)...but normally it is once per month.

Hank

In 40 years working on ships, I've done well north of 1000 emergency drills, and I consider each and every one of them a learning experience. Is it an inconvenience? Yes, it interferes with the daily routine, but is it necessary to ensure "muscle memory" to know instinctively what to do? Also yes. Even some who have attended 100 musters may not react instinctively, and hesitation or indecision can be trouble.

If you find the musters to be repetitive, you might want to try to challenge yourself by setting a scenario. Just prior to muster, go to a chosen location on the ship, lets say Lido deck, aft. Decide that there is a fire in the MDR. Now determine the best route from your location on the Lido deck to your muster station without going near or above the MDR. This is how we train the crew to think.

I'm crew too and I always learn something new with each muster. I was also on the crown princess "tip" years ago and was so amazed at the chaotic conditions with passengers running around hysterically. I always think of this everytime we have a crew drill. I don't work on princess but I do know of many occasions when passengers try to get out of a drill. One couple wanted a personal phone call from the captain to tell them why it was necessary to take part in the drill. They were dealt with personally by the staff captain!

Terry

Before the drill starts, our group mentally assigns roles to fellow pax -- which ones would panic, try to bring luggage, shout that they 'won't leave without their husband/wife/grandma/best friend' or be the first one to want a snack (or need to pee!) once the lifeboat was launched.

We know that I'd be telling ladies that there is no room for their carry-on full of expensive shoes, and that DH would be helping people into the boat.

So, we go, every time.

We attend the drills. I also wish they'd play a video in the cabins (in between replaying the other shopping/ports/tendering/debark videos) that shows the inside of a lifeboat fully loaded with pax.

Show how little room there really is, when everyone is packed in shoulder to shoulder, wall-to-wall, to demonstrate how little extra room there is for purses, bags or other extras.

The video could also demonstrate how to dress -- shoes that stay on, jacket, ID, passport and important meds in a secure pocket. If it helped ONE person get safely to the lifeboat, with the essentials and nothing else... it would be worth the time to film.

Before the drill starts, our group mentally assigns roles to fellow pax -- which ones would panic, try to bring luggage, shout that they 'won't leave without their husband/wife/grandma/best friend' or be the first one to want a snack (or need to pee!) once the lifeboat was launched.

We know that I'd be telling ladies that there is no room for their carry-on full of expensive shoes, and that DH would be helping people into the boat.

So, we go, every time.

Thanks for the giggle! I'll be thinking that on the next emergency drill on the Crown! I have a feeling it won't take much imagination! :D

I always listen as I was on the NCL dream when she struck a tanker in the English Channel. We were out in deck for many hours. At least I knew to take a coat, passport and room key because I paid attention. Sorry if you feel that the small amount of time could save your life. As others said, just like the airlines you can recite the instructions but it will help in an emergency. I also get aggravated with people who think this is a joke.