Who has mustered a hundred times?

smellycruzer

As a lifelong cruiser who perhaps has sailed a few too many times, I've enjoyed yet endured one too many muster drills. The first few times were fun and exciting, and sometimes you even get to go through some service corridors that are typically off-limits, but at this point I can walk to every muster station in the Princess fleet with my eyes closed. I fully understand the importance and practicality of such events. But the MSC 92 amendment to SOLAS regulation III/19 adopted the requirement of "musters of newly embarked passengers prior to or immediately upon departure." What isn't clear is whether Princess elite members could be granted the option of attending muster on ships that they have sailed multiple times and acknowledge awareness of muster protocols. One could argue that those individuals are indeed not newly embarked passengers.

Here is some more background but wouldn't it be a nice perk for frequent Princess passengers?

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4719

It seems pretty clear to me "newly embarked" means those who have just got on the ship. It would be a severe, and perhaps fatal stretch to say that "newly embarked" means someone who has only embarked XX number of times, or less. I am guessing you thing that your knowledge also exempts you from muster on a totally new Princess ship that you have never been on before?

There is an old statement..."train the way you fight". That doesn't mean you are exempted from training if you have done it XX times before. You still have to regularly have to prove your competency. And regular proving of competency is a well recognized standard of many demanding professions, like police, fire and EMS work, where you MUST perform correctly under pressure.

Sorry you feel you can't spend 30 or 45 minutes of your time on a critical function.

Edited by CruiserBruce

The effort needed to cross-reference whether an Elite passenger has:

• been on that particular ship before;
  • been assigned to that specific muster station before;
  • paid attention to the instructions; and
  • remembers all the instruction

Is simply not worth the effort of giving folks a 30 minute free pass to do.....what, exactly? All of the ship's venues are closed. If you weren't mustering, there wouldn't be anything going on. It's not like you can hang out at a bar, play trivia or bid on a painting of Martini olives playing poker.

Princess is the only line I know that doesn't make you muster on a B2B! I consider that a plus.

You learn something new here every day! So, do you just stay n your cabin during the "second" muster of the B2B?

But agree everyone needs to do it.

I just wish they'd get more organised and actually punish, yes punish, those who can't be bothered to get there, thus making everyone else wait.

There are many have been on many flights, but the instructions are given each time. I would hope that even if you have been on "hundreds of flights" that you still respect that the flight attendants want you to be safe. The same for being on many cruises. Sorry, but I think this comes under the heading of "First World Problems."

You learn something new here every day! So, do you just stay n your cabin during the "second" muster of the B2B?

If the weather is nice, we are hanging out at the pool. You just have to remember to order a drink before the bar service stops.;)

I think the last time I did a B2B, it was broadcast over the poolside speakers, so you do hear it anyway.

A few years ago, I was on a HAL Med cruise that I booked as a 28-day cruise but was also sold as two 14-day cruises. We were required to attend the 2nd Muster. Two nights later, the emergency signal went off at 1:50am. A fire onboard. It amazed me how many people, most of whom had booked the full 28 days and thus attended two Musters, didn't know what to do. Some even ran in their nightclothes with their life jackets to their Muster station; not dressed, no jacket, totally unprepared. Turns out it was a transformer in the cooler (commercial refrigerator) in the buffet. It was out within minutes. This experience impressed on me the need to not only continue to attend Muster but to also pay attention.

One can only hope the OP comments were tongue in cheek, sadly I doubt it. Surely, somebody with extensive sea time knows the importance of attending drills.

It is a proven fact you will respond in an emergency the way you performed in a drill.

With 40 years at sea, I've donned most styles of lifejacket way too many times, but at the muster drill, I still happily don the L/J at the requested time.

On the World Cruise all passengers were required to attend the muster drill upon boarding and then every 30 days thereafter. If they had intermediate drills attendance was not required.

A few years ago, I was on a HAL Med cruise that I booked as a 28-day cruise but was also sold as two 14-day cruises. We were required to attend the 2nd Muster. Two nights later, the emergency signal went off at 1:50am. A fire onboard. It amazed me how many people, most of whom had booked the full 28 days and thus attended two Musters, didn't know what to do. Some even ran in their nightclothes with their life jackets to their Muster station; not dressed, no jacket, totally unprepared. Turns out it was a transformer in the cooler (commercial refrigerator) in the buffet. It was out within minutes. This experience impressed on me the need to not only continue to attend Muster but to also pay attention.

Very well said. From experience, these examples are all too common.

One can only hope the OP comments were tongue in cheek, sadly I doubt it. Surely, somebody with extensive sea time knows the importance of attending drills.

It is a proven fact you will respond in an emergency the way you performed in a drill.

With 40 years at sea, I've donned most styles of lifejacket way too many times, but at the muster drill, I still happily don the L/J at the requested time.

On the World Cruise all passengers were required to attend the muster drill upon boarding and then every 30 days thereafter. If they had intermediate drills attendance was not required.

Thank you, I was wondering how they worked it on a WC.

No way that would happen. The liability isn't worth the whining.

They give a similar warning on every airline flight and I travel for work. I know it by heart, but I pay attention every time to be respectful of the crew.

Just do it...

Edited by jennybenny

If the weather is nice, we are hanging out at the pool. You just have to remember to order a drink before the bar service stops.;)

I think the last time I did a B2B, it was broadcast over the poolside speakers, so you do hear it anyway.

Thanks for the reply. And do they question you? Or do you have to prove your B2B status in any way?

Thanks for the reply. And do they question you? Or do you have to prove your B2B status in any way?

On the few B2B's that we have done, we've been lucky enough to keep the same room on both legs, so your cabin steward knows that you don't have to go to the second muster. Passenger services also has a list. If any of staff does question you, you just let them know that you are on a B2B.

Lol, I just noticed in your signature that you have an upcoming B2B. If you have the same cabin on both legs, then it's really easy to prove you are on a B2B because your cruise card will show the date that you got on the ship. Our last B2B was also on the Emerald. We just hung out at the aft pool, out of the way of the muster station rush. It was no big deal.

Edited by partybarbie

Lol, I just noticed in your signature that you have an upcoming B2B. If you have the same cabin on both legs, then it's really easy to prove you are on a B2B because your cruise card will show the date that you got on the ship. Our last B2B was also on the Emerald. We just hung out at the aft pool, out of the way of the muster station rush. It was no big deal.

Thanks PartyBarbie! Yes, B2B on the Emerald. My first one. And yes, same cabin... aft balcony :D. At the height of the Aussie summer I'll be at the aft pool I think!