Who has mustered a hundred times?

smellycruzer

I don't mind at all having to attend the muster drill on every cruise even though I too could probably recite it.

I especially appreciate the fact that on Princess cruises, we are permitted to attend the drills indoors and don't have to stand crowded in like sardines on an outside deck for long periods of time in all kinds of weather.

I recall an outdoors drill on another cruise line in very rough weather when water began cascading down from above us. Turns out it was the water from the swimming pool on an upper deck.

I have mustered many times and always follow the rules' date=' but I can't agree that if the ship is sinking I am going to follow orders and go to my assigned muster station deeper into the bowels of the ship.[/quote']

Well, since the stations aren't actually "deeper into" the ship, you won't have problem. I guess you don't really go to muster drill if you don't even know that. "always follow the rules" -- hahahahahahahahaha

I have mustered many times and always follow the rules' date=' but I can't agree that if the ship is sinking I am going to follow orders and go to my assigned muster station deeper into the bowels of the ship.[/quote']

What is the point of going to the muster if you have that attitude?

That is one of the reasons I consider them to be a total joke. Apart from the obligatory route to your muster station they are nothing more than a waste of time and waffle commentary that becomes tiresome after hearing it each cruise.

It is because of the repetitive nature of them that people will become complacent and the drill will not work in an emergency.

When I was in the Navy we never held drills like that as it served no useful purpose at all. The drills we held were far more professional and lacked the burden of repetitive drills that put people to sleep and make them complacent.

When I was in the Navy we never held drills like that as it served no useful purpose at all. The drills we held were far more professional and lacked the burden of repetitive drills that put people to sleep and make them complacent.

Yes, your drills in the navy were more professional because you were a professional sailor. Besides, when you're fresh into the navy, some good NCO would probably provide you with a severe tongue lashing if it took more than one time for you to be told what to do and where to go in case of an emergency. Passengers don't have that sort of incentive to listen and pay attention to what they're told. :rolleyes: Cruise line passengers are not professional sailors and don't live on a ship 24/7 for months at a time. Passengers have to go to musters so they can be instructed on what they should and should not do in the relatively unfamiliar circumstances of a ship. Most passengers on ships probably don't really remember squat from one cruise to another regardless of what they think they remember. Heck, many of them don't even remember what they're told about the life jackets they have in their hands when they first walk into their muster station--to not put them on until they're told to!

Tom

What is the point of going to the muster if you have that attitude?

That is one of the reasons I consider them to be a total joke. Apart from the obligatory route to your muster station they are nothing more than a waste of time and waffle commentary that becomes tiresome after hearing it each cruise.

It is because of the repetitive nature of them that people will become complacent and the drill will not work in an emergency.

I fully agree. They're a total wast of time unless the person has never been on a cruise ship prior.

If they really wanted to test anyone's emergency skills they should inform each passenger where to report for muster when first boarding the ship & then have an unannounced muster during the first day at sea. Of course it would interfere with bingo, fruit carving or exercise class. :D

Practice does make perfect.

The crew practices often.

We need the practice too.

Keith

Practice what? Where to report? How to put on your life jacket?

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. :D

LOL We try to have fun where we can. Mustard drill, Stewart the steward, wine wasting, extortions (excursions), etc. mustard drill is what the grandkids call it.

Interesting views here. Bottom line is that the muster drills should be overhauled to make them more effective. I wouldn't mind going to them if I walked away feeling safer should an emergency arise.

Comparisons to airline safety presentations are out of line. It's a captive audience where you do not take your life preserver (seat cushion) and assemble to different parts of the airplane in groups.

They practice man overboard, lifeboat drills including launching, and a lot of other things. Every crew member has a place if the fire alarm sounds or MOB. I'd rather know where I'm supposed to be at 3AM rather than being like a lot of other panicked passengers. On our last cruise, heard a big thump and the door next to us sliding.Jumped out of bed and hit water on the deck. I headed for the closet for life jackets before realizing the floor was dry. Water closed next door broke.

You learn something new here every day! So, do you just stay n your cabin during the "second" muster of the B2B?

Yes. :D

No! Get yourself a drink just beforehand, go up on deck and hog a couple of chairs. If staff questions you, just tell them you're in transit.

Not they ever ask but everyone could do that.

Yes, they could, but that's why they scan your cruise card when you go to your muster station. If you are truly an in-transit you would show up as one; and, if you weren't then that show up also and you'd be scheduled for a make-up.

Tom

Edited by Pierlesscruisers

Yes, they could, but that's why they scan your cruise card when you go to your muster station. If you are truly an in-transit you would show up as one; and, if you weren't then that show up also and you'd be scheduled for a make-up.

Tom

I think they've given up on the make up drills. They now send a letter letting you know you've missed the drill & spelling out the details of the muster drill.

I believe that I will most likely never need the information from the muster drill but I can't say for certain so we go and actually try to listen. It would be nice if people would just shut up for the short time necessary so everybody could actually hear what is said.

If we have to actually muster in an emergency all I really need to take with me is my room key, my passport, my wallet, my meds, and put on clothing relevant to the weather. It doesn't take much time for that preparation and I have a small "shore bag" with straps that can hold everything needed for both my wife and myself.

Attending muster seems a small price to pay for cruising.

If you find the musters to be repetitive, you might want to try to challenge yourself by setting a scenario. Just prior to muster, go to a chosen location on the ship, lets say Lido deck, aft. Decide that there is a fire in the MDR. Now determine the best route from your location on the Lido deck to your muster station without going near or above the MDR. This is how we train the crew to think.

Hmmmm.....you could be onto something there.....

For our elite guests whom have been to muster like 100 times......Princess Cruises is pleased to present

***** " M U S T E R M A N I A" *******

As you leave your cabin your ever-smiling steward will present you with an envelope containing a mystery location. Your challenge is to firstly proceed to that mystery location, then collect a blindfold and cover your eyes (no peeking - we'll be watching!), and then make your way back to the muster station before the last, ever-so-tardy, first-time cruiser arrives. But wait - all is not as simple as you may suppose; along the way you may encounter hazards such as mock fires blocking your intended path, or other guests who have tripped over their lifejacket ties rendering your stairwell impassable. What will you do, what's your plan B? Will you still make it to muster on time???

Upon reaching your muster station, if you truly can recite the entire safety presentation word for word, you will win a free cruise.....for as long as you like....in a suite.....with a free beverage package.....and dinner with the captain whenever you wish.....heck you can ever take the controls of the ship!

Cheers

Ando - Princess Elite cruiser :D

Edited by Ando

Winner Ando! I like the boat drill. I told a lady to shut up one time because she griped while they were giving instructions. I told her I wanted to hear so I could rescue her when we had an emergency. The most feared thing on a Ship is Fire. You are on your own with no place to go. My wife and I are pilots and we practice emergency procedure so when something happens you know what to do although it never prepares you for everything.

Propeller: A device to keep a Pilot cool. If it stops he will sweat profusely.

Piper Cub: The safest airplane built, It can just barely kill you.

Winner Ando! I like the boat drill. I told a lady to shut up one time because she griped while they were giving instructions. I told her I wanted to hear so I could rescue her when we had an emergency. The most feared thing on a Ship is Fire. You are on your own with no place to go. My wife and I are pilots and we practice emergency procedure so when something happens you know what to do although it never prepares you for everything.

Propeller: A device to keep a Pilot cool. If it stops he will sweat profusely.

Piper Cub: The safest airplane built, It can just barely kill you.

ROFL! Not related to cruising, but I used to fly a Super Cub....but always worried I would forget to wind up the rubber bands :)

I believe that I will most likely never need the information from the muster drill but I can't say for certain so we go and actually try to listen. It would be nice if people would just shut up for the short time necessary so everybody could actually hear what is said.

If we have to actually muster in an emergency all I really need to take with me is my room key, my passport, my wallet, my meds, and put on clothing relevant to the weather. It doesn't take much time for that preparation and I have a small "shore bag" with straps that can hold everything needed for both my wife and myself.

Attending muster seems a small price to pay for cruising.

Well said.