What to do at st Maarten and San Juan

Hi we are going on a cruise on the oasis in August and have no plans or an idea of what to do at st Maarten and San Juan we do have things planned for labadee but not the other 2 we did go to st Maarten before and was invited to a private beach but we have no clue about what to do at the islands so wanted to know everyone's experiences and what you all think is the best things to do on these islands [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by lovablekendra

If time allows it in St. Maarten I HIGHLY recommend Captain Bob and Soualiga Destinations day-Ling excursion. Hands-down the best day I've had on a cruise yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Is this an excursion through Royal or would I have to find it elsewhere? And thank you!!

San Juan is a great Do It Yourself port. There is so much to see and experience within a short walking distance from where the ship docks. There are two forts. Both are fascinating but El Morro is quite famous. Amazing pictures to be taken at each. The town of San Juan is also very interesting to walk around and browse. The Butterfly shop is fantastic, but you can get the same style of work with better quality and MUCH CHEAPER prices (even shipped) from an artist in Tampa, FL who does similar work. I have a few of his pieces I found after falling in love with the ones in San Juan and not being able to afford them. I found him at a major Christmas market in Houston, TX. You can google real tropical butterflies acrylic framing and you should be able to find his stuff. It has some version of the word Butterfly in it, but I can't remember now what it is. The guy is a true artist and his customer service was outstanding.

There are also a lot of fun little authentic cafes and stores with handmade items all over the Old Town district you will find as you walk the city streets. Almost all of the buildings are historic and very charming.

There is also the US's only Rainforest in Puerto Rico you can visit. I haven't been there, but my sister has and she loved it. You can rent a car and go on your own or take a tour. I'm sure the cruise line offers them.

Good luck. I don't know much about St. Maarten, but the advice to check out the port of call threads is a good one. You will find lots of people willing to help you there. Have fun!

We did the rain forest drive thru tour offered by Royal , PR and enjoyed it.

In St Marten, go up to the taxi stand where they load vans going to various places. We usually go to Orient beach. $7 pp. Taxi's there to bring you back too.

Edited by P&C4/16/67

Beaches abound on both places, if that's what you enjoy! There is no need to do excursions for a beach day.

However, if you want to do something other than a beach, a guidebook from your library will stand you in good stead....lots of info on everything there is in each place, how to get there, what (if any )costs there might be, food/drink, shopping,....everything!!!

Edited by cb at sea

Is this an excursion through Royal or would I have to find it elsewhere? And thank you!!

It's a private excursion. Soualiga Destinations

Snorkeling, swimming, boat tour, watching the planes from the water, and a WONDERFUL lunch!! Just amazing!!

He is also very familiar with the ship schedules, so he will be up front if it will work or not.

San Juan is a great Do It Yourself port. There is so much to see and experience within a short walking distance from where the ship docks. There are two forts. Both are fascinating but El Morro is quite famous. Amazing pictures to be taken at each. The town of San Juan is also very interesting to walk around and browse. The Butterfly shop is fantastic, but you can get the same style of work with better quality and MUCH CHEAPER prices (even shipped) from an artist in Tampa, FL who does similar work. I have a few of his pieces I found after falling in love with the ones in San Juan and not being able to afford them. I found him at a major Christmas market in Houston, TX. You can google real tropical butterflies acrylic framing and you should be able to find his stuff. It has some version of the word Butterfly in it, but I can't remember now what it is. The guy is a true artist and his customer service was outstanding.

There are also a lot of fun little authentic cafes and stores with handmade items all over the Old Town district you will find as you walk the city streets. Almost all of the buildings are historic and very charming.

There is also the US's only Rainforest in Puerto Rico you can visit. I haven't been there, but my sister has and she loved it. You can rent a car and go on your own or take a tour. I'm sure the cruise line offers them.

Good luck. I don't know much about St. Maarten, but the advice to check out the port of call threads is a good one. You will find lots of people willing to help you there. Have fun!

Thank you! I'm very excited I'm going to look into these things thanks so much for advice!! [emoji5]

I was in St. Maarten on Allure last November and I did the America's Cup Race Regatta based on a whole bunch of really positive reviews, and it totally lived up to my expectations.

It was amazing! It's not relaxing if that's what you're looking for, because you're participating in a real sailing race and have to hoist sails and such, but they tell you exactly what to do and if you want to do something more relaxing like keeping time or handing out drinks, they do give you the opportunity to take one of those roles instead.

It was a lot of fun and was an exhilarating experience!

There is also the US's only Rainforest in Puerto Rico you can visit.

The "only tropical rain forest in the U.S. National Forest System".

The Olympics' Hoh rainforest (I can see part of the range from my living room window as I type) in WA is a temperate rain forest, but a rain forest all the same!

In San Juan we liked the forts, we had lunch at Cafe Berlin, and wandered a bit. We have a PR departure in December, and plan on doing more of the same plus some extras. We'll be able to do more than a day-tripper can, of course.

We've been to Sint Maarten (St Martin) twice now. First time we didn't leave Philipsburg, second time we did. I liked Orient Beach, though Philipsburg has a decent strand of beach right there, and it's free as long as you don't want a lounger (but the cost of loungers, umbrellas, and beer isn't much). You can walk, cab, or water taxi from the pier to Philipsburg.

I didn't care for Maho beach, the iguana "farm" (outdoor carpets laid down with a guy with lettuce on the side of the road where iguanas are), or the outlook where Bernard's stopped to basically generate tips for the guy manhandling urchins.

Our cruise was last October and while in San Juan we walked around (ours was an evening stop so we wouldn't have had a lot of time in the forts), did some local shopping and ate some local foods. It was wonderful and beautiful.

While in St. Maarten, we booked a tour with Bernard's after reading MANY positive reviews on Trip Advisor and these boards...we were not disappointed! We went to Maho to watch the planes take off and land, Orient Beach for some beach time, both sides of the island for some shopping and had a great time. You can choose from their pre-planned tours or book a private tour.

I was in St. Maarten on Allure last November and I did the America's Cup Race Regatta based on a whole bunch of really positive reviews, and it totally lived up to my expectations.

It was amazing! It's not relaxing if that's what you're looking for, because you're participating in a real sailing race and have to hoist sails and such, but they tell you exactly what to do and if you want to do something more relaxing like keeping time or handing out drinks, they do give you the opportunity to take one of those roles instead.

I've talked with several people who have loved the America's Cup excursion, saying it's a must do. I've got it booked for November ... really looking forward to it.

We Did the Rhino Riders excursion in St. Maarten. To date it is my favorite excursion we have gone on. You ride the coast line on what can only be described as a combination boat jet ski. You tie all your boats together at a secluded beach swim in to shore and play on the beach are in the waves. You are on the French side so be aware there may be some "European" sunbathing. We tied up and noticed a couple doing yoga on the beach at the far end and thought what a great idea. As we swam in we noticed they were doing Naked Yoga on the beach. Gave Down Dog a whole new meaning.

I've been contemplating booking this when I'm there on the Reflection in February (I don't think our timing would work for Soualiga, otherwise I'd have already booked it).

I've seen some mixed reviews though - that some of the people in charge aren't super friendly to newbies and got annoyed if people asked clarifying questions. Did you find them open to questions if people had them?

Also, do you get to pick the boat you're on? I think they have two Canadian and one US, and I would so much rather be on a Canadian one. :)

St Maarten is one of my favorite ports, we normally just to a taxi to Orient beach get a couple of chairs and have lunch at one of the many restaurants(taxi is under 10 each way), it also has really great place for shopping

St Maarten?

Go to the beach and watch the planes land at Princess Juliana, and if you're stupid, hang on to the fence when they take off!

0e0ce577a41ac42ccb0c3abdfd7e1446.jpg

She couldn't hold on in the face of category 5+ hurricane force winds. Not pretty.

article-2127152-12858A94000005DC-565_634x353.jpg

Watch them land, but watch them take off at a safe distance. 100' or so should do, but don't get behind a a 20-50 thousand pounds thrust turbo fan engine at such a close distance!

sxm_schlechter_dangersign-620x413.jpg

I've been contemplating booking this when I'm there on the Reflection in February (I don't think our timing would work for Soualiga, otherwise I'd have already booked it).

I've seen some mixed reviews though - that some of the people in charge aren't super friendly to newbies and got annoyed if people asked clarifying questions. Did you find them open to questions if people had them?

Also, do you get to pick the boat you're on? I think they have two Canadian and one US, and I would so much rather be on a Canadian one. :)

I read that in the reviews as well, and was hesitant to book because of that, but I found all of the staff running the excursion to be friendly and accommodating. Almost everyone on the excursion is a newbie, and they were great with everyone. But, we were winning, so maybe they were in a better mood because of that. [emoji6]

You don't get to pick the boat you're on, but I think you can ask and they might place you in he boat you want!

It depends on how active you are. DW has some mobiilty issues so a lot of excursions are not a good fit for us. In Ste. Maarten we did Bernards tour. Very enjoyable. In San Juan we ended up taking a taxi tour. Cost was $40. We were in San Juan in the evening so part of the tour was in the dark. We will be there next year in the day time so might jump in a taxi again to get a better look.

We were in SJ in March. They have a very nice free trolley that goes all around Old Town & to both forts. At Fort Morro they go all the way up to the gate. All other transportation they drop you off at the end of the sidewalk. It is a long walk up to the gate. If you have a Golden Eagle Passport or any National Park Pass, both forts are free. This was our second time in SJ. Our first time we took a ships excursion & did not like it. The brochure said we would see Fort Morro & we didn't go anywhere near it. This time I was prepared & planned what we would do.