NCL.com - Worst website booked customers!

Floater58

Am I the only one that finds the NCL website to be AWFUL? It is slow and 95% designed to sell you things and only 5% to provide information.

Normally, hotels, airlines, etc. have a preference tab on your account for you to indicate room or seating preferences. I was silly enough to expect the NCL preferences to allow me to indicate whether I prefer the beds to be separated, usually need extra pillows, dietary restrictions, etc. Instead, all it asks is where you would like to cruise next, length of trip, how you want to book. When I'm already booked and signed in, stop trying to sell me another cruise for just a little while and provide more information on the one I already have!

Come on guys, a little better customer service after the sale and not completely about making more sales would be nice.

I find the site navigation pretty manageable, it's the IT department behind the site I'm having issues with. During the past week, when I went to review my documents have OBC I purchased failed to show, excursions I booked failed to show, and to top it off, I discovered the cabana I had booked and paid for months ago, NCL gave me a refund (to the incorrect CC) :confused: I just called them to inquire what the heck is going on and even though the cabana is showing on my reservations, I had to "pay" for it again. :mad::rolleyes:

If NCL is reading this, this will be my first cruise with your line. I am also sailing with a group, not only does the customer service in the groups department need fixing (not the most congenial staff), so does the IT department. I don't sail for another couple of weeks and was hoping if this is a good cruise, I'd consider sailing with NCL again, but I'm having second thoughts.... this upcoming cruise better WOW my family and me.

I find it pretty easy to use and have never had a problem navigating around it. I can usually go to exactly what im looking for and take care of it in just a matter of minutes.

Then can you please tell me where I can indicate that the beds are supposed to be separated and that my partner eats vegetarian?

I've looked all over the site and can't find that kind of preference area to enter for my upcoming cruise. When I went last fall, I had the agent take the information and yet, the crew had heard nothing about it.

The NCL web site is poorly designed, poorly managed, lacking in any meaningful functionality, and has lots of time when what is there isn't working. Otherwise it is just fine! ;)

Edited by Red-Sol

Then can you please tell me where I can indicate that the beds are supposed to be separated and that my partner eats vegetarian?

I've looked all over the site and can't find that kind of preference area to enter for my upcoming cruise. When I went last fall, I had the agent take the information and yet, the crew had heard nothing about it.

Why not just make the request to cabin steward on beds ? They do that on a regular basis. You will be able to get vegetarian dishes. Pretty sure they have at least 1 on menu each night.

Sure, no problem.

https://www.ncl.com/about/accessible-cruising

It looks like you'll have to call in and speak to someone per the FAQs:

What about special dietary needs?

If you have any food allergy or a dietary requirement that requires Kosher meals or gluten-free food product, please advise a Norwegian Reservations Agent, or your Travel Agent at the time of booking. Obtaining the product for many of these requests requires 30-days notice prior to sailing, and we want to ensure that we are able to fulfill your request. We cannot guarantee Kosher Meal requests made within 30 days of sail date. For the protection of all of our guests, it is not permissible to bring aboard any food items that would require preparation by the ship’s staff, or food items that would require cold storage in our kitchen facilities.

I found it to be over all pretty good (in comparison to Carnival's ). The only thing I did not like was when it came to picking a room, it gave me some choices, but not the full range of rooms available per deck plans. I wanted same category room on a different deck, but it did not give me the option to choose it. So, I called, and very quickly problem solved:) I am now once again booked on the Escape:D

If you are taking a cruise in Oct., on the Epic, you have a lot of time to deal with some of your issues.

As mentioned by other posters, your room steward will be able to seperate your beds, give you extra pillows etc.

As for vegan dishes, the MDR will have at least one offering for them to choose. The buffet has many more options to pick from.

If you have any other issues that need to be addressed, contact your TA, they should be able to do this for you, that is why they are there.

I had to call to have them assist me with accessible cabin. The only real issue for me is that they will only show one deck with cabins that are open. I was trying to book my kids near my cabin but it only let me select from one deck. I ended up calling for their room also.

on a positive note both times I called I received excellent customer service.

About the beds: Sorry I can't find it to point you to it. And believe me, when I ask that my husband's and my beds be pushed together, they NEVER have been (either because that's the default, or they see two men cruising together and assume they're to be separated). However, once we ask to have them pushed together by the Room Steward, they are by they time we return that first day.

--Michael

If you have any other issues that need to be addressed, contact your TA, they should be able to do this for you, that is why they are there.

None of these things are difficult to work around, but I guess my expectations for a customer vs sales oriented site are too high. I have very specifically addressed some of these issues with our TA and she assured me that it was noted. But when we get on the ship, they almost never have any idea of it. Having it right in your customer preferences means that it get's included on all trips regardless of which agent you use. That is generally how account preferences work, to better service the customer.

If they have a system in place for you to buy Strawberries or wine to be in your cabin, they already have a way to get setup instructions about the cabin. Yes, the stewards have been very good about taking care of issues after the fact. But those poor guys are usually on a 16+ hour workday on boarding day and shouldn't have to be redoing people's cabin layouts when they could have known upfront how it should be.

About the beds: Sorry I can't find it to point you to it. And believe me, when I ask that my husband's and my beds be pushed together, they NEVER have been (either because that's the default, or they see two men cruising together and assume they're to be separated). However, once we ask to have them pushed together by the Room Steward, they are by they time we return that first day.

--Michael

Hi Michael,

I had to laugh at your note because I was initially assuming that the room would be setup with beds separated because it is listing two men. Then it occurred to me that 2 men with the same last name can no longer be assumed to be brothers. That is why I went looking for place to indicate they should be separated. I was trying to save the steward rework, but I guess that we both have to see how it goes.

Wanna bet that they have it setup for me to sleep with my brother and you and your hubby separated? LOL

Mark

--Michael

My sister and I switched to the Epic after two Jade cancellations. Guess what? We have to share a round bed. Your post made me wish they could separate that bed.

Edited by DMH15

None of these things are difficult to work around, but I guess my expectations for a customer vs sales oriented site are too high. I have very specifically addressed some of these issues with our TA and she assured me that it was noted. But when we get on the ship, they almost never have any idea of it. Having it right in your customer preferences means that it get's included on all trips regardless of which agent you use. That is generally how account preferences work, to better service the customer.

If they have a system in place for you to buy Strawberries or wine to be in your cabin, they already have a way to get setup instructions about the cabin. Yes, the stewards have been very good about taking care of issues after the fact. But those poor guys are usually on a 16+ hour workday on boarding day and shouldn't have to be redoing people's cabin layouts when they could have known upfront how it should be.

Actually, I think it is easier for the quick turnaround for them to default to a standard and make tweaks later.

While it certainly not the best online travel website experience I use it often to manage my bookings and gather information. Disney Parks website has it's issues too, but I book on both, make payments, register for meals or add on activities.

Am I the only one that finds the NCL website to be AWFUL? It is slow and 95% designed to sell you things and only 5% to provide information.

Normally, hotels, airlines, etc. have a preference tab on your account for you to indicate room or seating preferences. I was silly enough to expect the NCL preferences to allow me to indicate whether I prefer the beds to be separated, usually need extra pillows, dietary restrictions, etc. Instead, all it asks is where you would like to cruise next, length of trip, how you want to book. When I'm already booked and signed in, stop trying to sell me another cruise for just a little while and provide more information on the one I already have!

Come on guys, a little better customer service after the sale and not completely about making more sales would be nice.

I actually find the NCL web site far easier to navigate than any of the other cruise line web sites. It is laid out a lot more logically and it is much easier to find whatever it is you are looking for.

While it certainly not the best online travel website experience I use it often to manage my bookings and gather information. Disney Parks website has it's issues too, but I book on both, make payments, register for meals or add on activities.

Disney is much, much worse. Whatever you do, don't click "Back" when Mickey is swimming across the screen!

NCL's website is marginally better than the other cruise lines I've tried mock bookings on, but only marginally. They all suck. My sister gets warnings about cruises I am on, and I get calls about her expiring FCCs. We have never booked together.

They need to hire someone from the hotel industry to work on their site; Marriott always has my information handy, my preferences, etc. Since I entered them into their system some years ago they have always been there and every front desk clerk has noted them when I check in.