Port or Starboard on Breakaway to Bermuda

cidymom

Can someone who sailed Breakaway to Bermuda tell me which side (port or starboard) faces Bermuda when docked. I saw a picture from one of the reviews when Breakaway is docked with Celebrity Summit, it looks like the starboard side faces Bermuda. Can someone confirm this or does it change depending on which ship arrives in port first. Thanks all.

Can someone who sailed Breakaway to Bermuda tell me which side (port or starboard) faces Bermuda when docked. I saw a picture from one of the reviews when Breakaway is docked with Celebrity Summit, it looks like the starboard side faces Bermuda. Can someone confirm this or does it change depending on which ship arrives in port first. Thanks all.

This question come up regularly over the years. For the BA it does not depend which ship comes in first. From all the times I've seen the BA in Bermuda it has always docked at the same dock. It typically will dock port side about 2/3 to 3/4 of the time. MeatballNYC keeps track of it over the years and can give you stats. It sometimes will even change sides while docked.

As said, there is no way to predict this. It can change cruise to cruise. I sailed the Dawn last year. Our week, port side was to the port. The following week, it was starboard. It will be dependent on what type of work is to be done on the ship while docked (maintenance, etc). Also which side they want to test the lifeboats on.

When I was there a few weeks ago it docked starboard side facing Bermuda. When I watched the port cam the following week it was docked port side.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Dockyard "side" of Bermuda is a lot closer and more interesting to watch & see and sense, especially during the evening hours vs. the far side of downtown Hamilton, which you really do NOT see, even with hi-power binoculars ... it's mainly homes & the small hills across the bay.

b3e1f6c76c7ddbb7a83779ed8009a8f5.jpg

Breakaway & Dawn is typically parked at Heritage Wharf and the Summit typically at King's Wharf, which side of the ship is facing Dockyard - as regular watchers can tell you, your guess is as good as theirs. MeatballNYC has informal stats on it ... my impression is that BA is more often portside facing Dockyard or bow (Fwd) of the ship facing out toward sea & the reefs, for an easy & straight run out to sea on departure (otherwise, it will have to do a 180 turnaround first)

d87e2d4c91d46fdf8b55617067048e47.jpg

06cc703906ff8ea5a3992712c44247c6.jpg

That's how the BA was docked last week when we're there (see pix below) and one of her lifeboats, starboard side was in the water on Thursday, probably doing maintenance and they're also running their crew's safety training & emergency response drills, etc.

6b38d2a9429e066938af8e33bf3169a6.jpg

This week, if you didn't already checked the dockyard's live webcam, she's docked portside - those who booked AFT balconies/minisuites & PH, etc. would see mainly the ocean/waters and not much of anything else. Go up to the outdoors on deck 16 or 17 and you can get a 360 view all around, bring your smartphone/tablet/ipad camera or video.

0b4414adedc8aa7accd7a7b453d18c86.jpg

But, if I'm going to bet the odds and with our preference to see things up & close, including pier runners - especially if you are on a balcony & up - go with portside. There are really no "bad" side to view Bermuda.

Edited by mking8288

It can rotate, depeding on what they are doing on the ship from life boat drill to even divers in the water doing an inspection.

We had divers in the water on the Star inspecting something during our Bridge Tour with big signs placed over the ships engine pod controls "Diver in the water".

They do the lifeboat drill and they have to rotate the boats they do it with so yes they do change sides on occasion, hard to launch a lifeboat on the pier side!

Both the Summit & Breakaway are docked starboard side this week again - mother nature dumping on those cruise ship pax, a steady rain shower now - 75 degree & you can hear the wind @ 15 knots if tuned to the BDA live webcam @ Dockyard ... as the weather fronts is moving thru the region.

Conditions should be improving overnight & better tomorrow - oh, dear: weather is almost like NYC at this moment, cloudy & rain shower coming down.

This was my $10 dollar Japanese lunch, Bento box style @ Mitsuwa in Edgewater, NJ yesterday - still, rather be on a cruise ship.

b3cf8d04d4efd658e93f95c2aff41f83.jpg

Edited by mking8288

Just got home--we were Starboard. Thats the best side---on the way out passing Lady Liberty, in port you are on the side of Bermuda and returning home with New York out your deck.

Thanks for this information as the DH and I wondered about which would be better to see her as we leave.