Cruising with 84 year old mother

BLJ1

Hi, I have cruised many times with my partner, however, this time my mother who is 84, has decided she wants to come, which is great as she has never flown or travelled very far.

We are going on a transatlantic in October on the Celebrity Eclipse from Southampton, and fly home from Miami, I'm worried about how she will cope with the excursions, as she sometimes suffers with pain in her feet !! we usually do our own excursions when we disembark, do anyone know if we can have a lightweight wheelchair and if there would be a cost for this ? She's adamant that she won't need one, but I have a feeling that she will be glad of it. Also any suggestions about getting around will be gratefully appreciated, we will be doing Boston, New York, Bahamas and Bermuda, ending in Miami. I didn't have the heart to tell her that it may to much for her as she was so excited when she rang told me she wanted to come. A very worried daughter.

Hi, I have cruised many times with my partner, however, this time my mother who is 84, has decided she wants to come, which is great as she has never flown or travelled very far.

We are going on a transatlantic in October on the Celebrity Eclipse from Southampton, and fly home from Miami, I'm worried about how she will cope with the excursions, as she sometimes suffers with pain in her feet !! we usually do our own excursions when we disembark, do anyone know if we can have a lightweight wheelchair and if there would be a cost for this ? She's adamant that she won't need one, but I have a feeling that she will be glad of it. Also any suggestions about getting around will be gratefully appreciated, we will be doing Boston, New York, Bahamas and Bermuda, ending in Miami. I didn't have the heart to tell her that it may to much for her as she was so excited when she rang told me she wanted to come. A very worried daughter.

First and foremost, she needs to get a passport.

Next contact Celebrity's mobility needs. They use Special Needs at Sea and CareVacations. They can arrange for you to rent a collapsible wheel chair that will be there when you embark. Since it folds and she's not a full time user it can just be folded up to get into her cabin and can easily be stored.

Renting a scooter would be a whole different situation. Cruise lines and ships vary with some only allowing scooters in staterooms that have wide door openings and space to store and charge it. (Neither Celebrity nor any mass market cruise line will store or charge scooters.)

Though you usually do independent excursions, in this case you might be better off with the ship's excursions. First of all, in the excursion listings, there are codes that tell you the activity level required for each one. The other advantage would be that if something unfortunate did happen, you're more likely to get help getting your mother either back to the ship or directed to whatever other care is required. Some private tour operators might be just as responsive, but I think the ships really assume more responsibility for passengers who are on their excursions.

You will probably have to adjust YOUR list of "to do" things to accommodate her....if she tires easily.

My mom is 83 and plays tennis 3 times a week, so she wouldn't slow anyone down...I know she's not the "norm" for that age group, though!

Ask your questions on the Disabled Cruisers forum - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

No - she isn't "disabled", but you have to carefully assess her capabilities and make appropriate choices. I think a collapsible wheelchair is an excellent suggestion.

After my father died I cruised with my mom for 9 years until she passed away at almost 92. From the beginning I insisted she take advantage of assisted boarding through airports. Having mom seated in a wheelchair protected her from the chaos and left me hands free to deal with luggage and travel documents.

When you are ready to make excursion plans for Boston and New York, please post on the East Coast Departures forum. My initial thoughts for those two cities are to take a ship's excursion and let them drive you from point to point. If there is a particular thing you want to see in either city, there are lots of folks who will give advice.

Not to be negative but in addition to the insurance which I assume that you have, you might think about a 1 trip MedJet policy if you can get it.

DON

Not necessary when travelling from the UK. A good travel insurance policy for a cruise will cover everything that you might need.

Val

Not necessary when travelling from the UK. A good travel insurance policy for a cruise will cover everything that you might need.

Val

A MedJetAssist membership (it is NOT insurance) for your Mom IS an excellent idea. Look it up online and see what it provides. If Mom is an AARP member, the cost is discounted.

If, heaven forbid, she should become ill enough or have a significant enough injury (such as from a fall) to require hospitalization during your trip, it could be of enormous help to have this.

I am almost 77, and would not think of going on any cruise, or trip more than 150 miles from home, without my membership!!!

A MedJetAssist membership (it is NOT insurance) for your Mom IS an excellent idea. Look it up online and see what it provides. If Mom is an AARP member, the cost is discounted.

If, heaven forbid, she should become ill enough or have a significant enough injury (such as from a fall) to require hospitalization during your trip, it could be of enormous help to have this.

I am almost 77, and would not think of going on any cruise, or trip more than 150 miles from home, without my membership!!!

The OP is in UK, health insurance may be different.

The OP is in UK, health insurance may be different.

Exactly, in the UK travel insurance is very different to US. As I said in my previous post, a good travel policy will cover everything. This includes evacuation from the ship in a medical emergency, all medical treatment and if necessary a plane will be chartered with medical staff and any necessary equipment to repatriate the patient to a hospital in the UK.

Val

Exactly, in the UK travel insurance is very different to US. As I said in my previous post, a good travel policy will cover everything. This includes evacuation from the ship in a medical emergency, all medical treatment and if necessary a plane will be chartered with medical staff and any necessary equipment to repatriate the patient to a hospital in the UK.

Val

I do not know how this is handled in the UK. The problem with US passengers is that you may be getting perfectly good care in whatever hospital that you have been evacuated to so there is no medical reason to move you from the local hospital to your home US hospital In this case, your insurance will not cover the move.

What MedJet adds is that you can decide that you WANT to be cared for at home so as soon as yo are stable, they will get you home even if they have to pay for a medically equipped plane.

DON

I have been traveling with mobility impaired family members for more than 20 years. One important thing to consider is that travel involves a lot of walking and standing about that those of us who are able bodied often don't think about. Airports, for example, generally require a long walk from check in to the gate and a lot of standing around waiting for the security check. On the ship it can be quite a hike from your cabin to the dining room, two or three times each day.

About ten years ago I purchased a light weight travel chair for my mother and it has been worth its weight in gold. Unlike traditional wheelchairs, a travel chair is not meant for self propulsion so it does not have the large, heavy back wheels. That makes it lighter and smaller than a traditional chair, including the traditional folding chairs that the cruise lines rent to you.

Making the one-time investment (in the States you can find them for about $100 - $150) is worth it over time, as most of us get less able with age. My mom went with us last summer on a Baltic cruise at 92 - she's able to see things and not hold the rest of us back because of the chair.

Edited by euro cruiser

I have been traveling with mobility impaired family members for more than 20 years. One important thing to consider is that travel involves a lot of walking and standing about that those of us who are able bodied often don't think about. Airports, for example, generally require a long walk from check in to the gate and a lot of standing around waiting for the security check. On the ship it can be quite a hike from your cabin to the dining room, two or three times each day.

About ten years ago I purchased a light weight travel chair for my mother and it has been worth its weight in gold. Unlike traditional wheelchairs, a travel chair is not meant for self propulsion so it does not have the large, heavy back wheels. That makes it lighter and smaller than a traditional chair, including the traditional folding chairs that the cruise lines rent to you.

Making the one-time investment (in the States you can find them for about $100 - $150) is worth it over time, as most of us get less able with age. My mom went with us last summer on a Baltic cruise at 92 - she's able to see things and not hold the rest of us back because of the chair.

I totally agree. I ultimately bought one for my mother and it was great. http://www.amazon.com/Drive-Medical-EXP19LTrd-Lightweight-Expedition/dp/B00537S944/ref=sr_1_10_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1465083110&sr=8-10&keywords=Lightweight+transport+chair+18+lbs

I'll add my approval to the folding wheelchair suggestion. I have one for my mother, who is intermittently tired for no reason we can work out, so sometimes she can walk 4 miles and sometimes not even 1 mile. Wheelchairs can be used to get you to the start or end of an activity, and can be left in a convenenient spot while you go ahead and sightsee; or mother can walk if she feels like it, pushing the chair or not, while having the option to ride for a bit, or you can leave the chair behind altogether if it's an excursion with not much walking. It also gives her a handy place to sit no matter where you may be.

Always let any excursion provider know that you'll be bringing a wheelchair, but don't (presumably) need assistance.

If your mother reckons she doesn't need a wheelchair (many old people think there's some sort of shame attached) then try and explain that it won't just mean she can see more than otherwise she would, it'll also mean that you can see more as well.

Edited by dsrdsrdsr

Definitely get a wheelchair of some sort regardless of what your mother says. I agree about the travel policies as well. I'm really glad you are getting to do this with your mother. I had always wanted to take my mother on cruises but unfortunately she would not go without dad who is a retired Captain - and he's had enough cruises for a lifetime (over 33 years worth) and refused to go - so I always thought, when dad passes on, I'll take her. Unfortunately mom passed away at age 89. Dad is still going strong at age 91, having outlived her by 2 years so far.

In regards to the transatlantic flight home, it would be nice if your mother could be in business class or first class so that she has a fully reclining flat seat that converts to a bed and can rest on the flight home. Be sure to get her some anti-DVT socks and make sure she gets up and walks around from time to time and drinks lots of water during the flight. As we age, thirst decreases which can lead to her becoming more easily dehydrated than those of us who are younger.

Have a wonderful cruise with your mother. This will be a very precious memory. You are lucky to be able to do this.

Edited by SuiteTraveler