Best spot to eat on arrival day

I've read on here about some sandwiches that are really good on the day you arrive waiting to sail away. What spots can you eat at instead of windjammer to avoid the 1st day rush. Thanks for your help.

You should try the sandwich for sure...but don't feel like you have to go running for cafe. In my opinion, the roast beef sandwiches are okay. Are they tasty? - yes, very bready though and if a lot of bread is your thing you will like them. Are they a mouth flavor explosion and life changer? - no. The meat could be more tender. They just have some kind of urban legend on cc. Maybe if you live in a geographic area where those types of foods aren't available I'm sure it is a treat. I recommend trying it so you can see for yourself.

To avoid lines and hassles, find a nice seafood restaurant in Ft. Lauderdale at the port to eat before you go onboard. That way you can just enjoy the sailaway and not worry about finding food.

Will the main dining room be open for lunch on arrival day? I will be on Grandeur.

You may, on occasion, see people eating in the dining room on arrival day. There is usually a luncheon for passengers doing a B2B if there are 25-30, depending on the ship. MDR isn't open for boarding passengers.

I know I am in the minority, but I will offer an opinion that the best place to eat on embarkation day is...a lovely, peaceful lunch or brunch in a restaurant somewhere OTHER than the ship. There's so much chaos on embarkation day, that I've given up on getting to the ship early. That extra two or three hours of early boarding just stresses me out. Everything is jammed, the elevators are always overloaded, etc. I prefer to have a leisurely morning, and to get to the ship in the early afternoon.

Yes, you miss some of that frenetic energy and may not want to miss a single hour onboard. If you want to make any arrangements for something with limited capacity at the Pursar's desk, boarding later might not work for you. However, boarding a little later can be a good option that many people overlook -- Panda3 made a good suggestion!

Edited by Truluv

I know I am in the minority, but I will offer an opinion that the best place to eat on embarkation day is...a lovely, peaceful lunch or brunch in a restaurant somewhere OTHER than the ship. There's so much chaos on embarkation day, that I've given up on getting to the ship early. That extra two or three hours of early boarding just stresses me out. Everything is jammed, the elevators are always overloaded, etc. I prefer to have a leisurely morning, and to get to the ship in the early afternoon.

Yes, you miss some of that frenetic energy and may not want to miss a single hour onboard. If you want to make any arrangements for something with limited capacity at the Pursar's desk, boarding later might not work for you. However, boarding a little later can be a good option that many people overlook -- Panda3 made a good suggestion!

I second this. That's what we do. [emoji39]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I've started to do this as well. I ask for a late check out and eat a hearty breakfast. That way, when I do get on the ship, it's closer to the cabins being available and I'm not running for the windjammer.

We are on the harmony and had the roast beef sandwiches (the King Arthur?) from the Promenade Cafe. Not sure if that's the same as the famous roast beef sandwiches but they were only ok. Thin slices of beef with thick chunks of bread.

We are on the harmony and had the roast beef sandwiches (the King Arthur?) from the Promenade Cafe. Not sure if that's the same as the famous roast beef sandwiches but they were only ok. Thin slices of beef with thick chunks of bread.

the Park Cafe ones are for all intents and purposes Beef on Weck. It's a regional thing. if the roll had stuff sprinkled on top that's what you had. better with horseradish and gravy.

they are usually in two camps: love 'em or leave 'em. (we fall in the 'love 'em category)

I second this. That's what we do. [emoji39]

Day 1 of my cruise is embarkation day. This is a day I pay full fare for. My fare includes the use of the ship and included restaurants. This is why I get to the ship as early as possible and eat in restaurants I've already paid for.

To each their own.

Day 1 of my cruise is embarkation day. This is a day I pay full fare for. My fare includes the use of the ship and included restaurants. This is why I get to the ship as early as possible and eat in restaurants I've already paid for.

To each their own.

I have to agree. I eat a nice breakfast at the hotel but thats generally very early that morning. There is no way Im paying for lunch somewhere off the ship when Ive already paid for my lunch on the ship. To each their own for sure :)

Edited by ryano

I'm normally too excited to eat when we first embark! That being said... we usually just end up at windjammer for the variety of option for my husband:)

To each their own.

I feel the same way. If you get on early enough the ship is not too crowded. DW and I go to the pub right away, then she goes for pizza for the first of many times and I go to the Cafe Promenade. Why pay to eat on land when you have already paid to eat on the ship

I have to agree. I eat a nice breakfast at the hotel but thats generally very early that morning. There is no way Im paying for lunch somewhere off the ship when Ive already paid for my lunch on the ship. To each their own for sure :)

Same here. I want to be on ASAP.

My two biggest RCI buildups were honey stung chicken and the roast beef sandwich. Also biggest disappointments.

Thats what can happen when people buy into hype. Disappointment. From my understanding, honey stung chicken use to be a lot better, made fresh from an actual piece of chicken instead of a frozen processed "pattie" from Tyson it wound up being.

I have not had the roast beef sandwich yet but if I do, my expectations will be in check because of all the mixed reviews that sandwich gets.

Carnival also has the same type of following of their Warm Chocolate Melting cake. Most disgusting dessert Ive ever had! :eek:

On other ships, the "specialty" restaurants were open, without charge, for that first day's lunch.

Is this available on RCI?

Thanks

No, I dont think so on any RC ship and certainly not without charge!