Best route for Tracy Arm Fjord Tour???

cw2go

I did a sail through TAF back in 2010 and it was amazing so I can only imagine how spectacular the small boat sailing will be.

I am looking at doing a SB Cruise from either Whittier w/Princess or Seward w/Celebrity.

Princess has a Juneau port time of 6:30am - 4pm

Celebrity has a Juneau port time of 9am - 9pm

Of the two which would give me the best option of doing this tour round trip from port? Neither is a Tracy Arm sailing so the add on boat tour from the ship is not an option. I am looking at Major Marine and Adventure Bound but the times are not aligning from what I can see? Am I missing another option? Is there a better way with a one way cruise which is a priority? :confused:

I'm aware Princess includes Glacier Bay but I am willing to forgo it for a small boat tour to TAF...

Thanks in advance, :)

Patty

Edited by cw2go

On Princess, you need to do the North Bound route to be able to do Adventure Bound's trip to Tracy Arm. Adventure Bound leaves at 8 am and returns around 6. Can you do the North route on Princess? If so, you need to tell them what ship you are on, they will often offer to pick you up but you have to be off the ship ASAP which isn't difficult in Juneau.

Not sure of Allen Marine is operating RT daily out of Juneau or not.

Edited by Coral

On Princess, you need to do the North Bound route to be able to do Adventure Bound's trip to Tracy Arm. Adventure Bound leaves at 8 am and returns around 6. Can you do the North route on Princess? If so, you need to tell them what ship you are on, they will often offer to pick you up but you have to be off the ship ASAP which isn't difficult in Juneau.

Thank you Coral,

Not sure of Allen Marine is operating RT daily out of Juneau or not.

Yes, reversing from SB to NB might be an option. Great catch!

For NB out of Vancouver the Juneau port time is 8am - 9pm that still seem a bit tight? Adventure Bound website has boarding time of 7:45 am. I'd also have a trade between Hubbard/College Fjord... All these decisions :p

Thanks again, Patty

Edited by cw2go

Yes, reversing from SB to NB might be an option. Great catch!

For NB out of Vancouver the Juneau port time is 8am - 9pm that still seem a bit tight? Adventure Bound website has boarding time of 7:45 am. I'd also have a trade between Hubbard/College Fjord... All these decisions :p

Thanks again, Patty

I have done it on the North Bound. Just call them and tell them you are on X ship and arriving at 8 am and you want to do their tour. In the past, they have offered to pick me up. Actually - I was in line to get off the ship when we docked and turned on my phone and there was a message from her offering to pick me up. I called her back and she was right at the pier. If it is pre-arranged, it should work. I just showed up 30 minutes before we were supposed to be off and waited in line to make sure I was off right away.

I agree - it is a trade off! B2B is your best solution :)

Edited by Coral

Thanks Coral... You steered me in the right direction, going NB gives me TAF touring options with both Celebrity and Princess.

Now the trades offs between the two.

One is ISP and Hubbard

One is Glacier Bay and College Fjord

Any input?

More decisions because the B2B is not happening :D

Coral is correct you need the Northbound Princess for the time to do Adventure Bound. I've sailed with them 6 times and each time have been the last one on the boat. Let them know your schedule and they will work with you. Last time they actually picked me up at a pier right next to the Princess ship to save some time. Just be sure and make sure you are one of the first off the ship as they will be waiting on you. Steve and Winona are great to work with and will treat you right.

IMHO one of the best tours in Alaska.

Here is a link to some photos I took on one of my trips with Adventure Bound

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1283269&highlight=adventure+bound

Thanks Coral... You steered me in the right direction, going NB gives me TAF touring options with both Celebrity and Princess.

Now the trades offs between the two.

One is ISP and Hubbard

One is Glacier Bay and College Fjord

Any input?

More decisions because the B2B is not happening :D

Have you been to Glacier Bay before? If not, choose that one. Hubbard is fantastic but the chances of getting close to the glacier due to weather conditions is lower. You have a much better chance of getting to the glaciers in Glacier Bay.

If you have been to Glacier Bay, then I would go for the Hubbard Glacier cruise for something new. Hopefully, you'll get to see it but you won't if you don't even try.

Coral is correct you need the Northbound Princess for the time to do Adventure Bound. I've sailed with them 6 times and each time have been the last one on the boat. Let them know your schedule and they will work with you. Last time they actually picked me up at a pier right next to the Princess ship to save some time. Just be sure and make sure you are one of the first off the ship as they will be waiting on you. Steve and Winona are great to work with and will treat you right.

IMHO one of the best tours in Alaska.

Here is a link to some photos I took on one of my trips with Adventure Bound

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1283269&highlight=adventure+bound

Thank you... I was there June 2010 LOVED-TAF!

Have you been to Glacier Bay before? If not, choose that one. Hubbard is fantastic but the chances of getting close to the glacier due to weather conditions is lower. You have a much better chance of getting to the glaciers in Glacier Bay.

If you have been to Glacier Bay, then I would go for the Hubbard Glacier cruise for something new. Hopefully, you'll get to see it but you won't if you don't even try.

I would agree. I would choose Glacier Bay as it is great and is rarely missed. I have missed Hubbard Glacier once and seen it once. I still prefer Glacier Bay.

I did Hubbard Glacier first and missed it entirely and there were no other glaciers on the itinerary. This is why I like Princess's itineraries one way - 2 chances of glacier days.

Edited by Coral

Actually I haven't been to GB or Hubbard but when I look at photos or videos of GB I am not nearly as amazed as I think I should be? :rolleyes: I've read tons of reviews and many love it there but for some reason I'm not getting it?

TAF was my fave and also enjoyed Misti Fjords in Ketchikan as much. We also plan to do the Prince William Sound cruise in Whittier so we will see plenty of glaciers and in addition otters are a priority for me so I am hoping this tour will get me my "Otter Fix" :p (Kenai Fjords out of Seward seems to be a great options as well but I am apprehensive of the rough seas and time on the vessel)

Thank you for your input, I'll continue researching GB.

Patty

Actually I haven't been to GB or Hubbard but when I look at photos or videos of GB I am not nearly as amazed as I think I should be? :rolleyes: I've read tons of reviews and many love it there but for some reason I'm not getting it?

TAF was my fave and also enjoyed Misti Fjords in Ketchikan as much. We also plan to do the Prince William Sound cruise in Whittier so we will see plenty of glaciers and in addition otters are a priority for me so I am hoping this tour will get me my "Otter Fix" :p (Kenai Fjords out of Seward seems to be a great options as well but I am apprehensive of the rough seas and time on the vessel)

Thank you for your input, I'll continue researching GB.

Patty

I've been to all the glacier areas, several times. I don't agree, that Glacier Bay, should be given all the priority. All the areas are going to offer you some fantastic scenic viewing, with NOTHING fixed. Every trip will be different. With your priority of Tracy Arm, Adventure Bound does it best, overall, with their 9/10 hour trips. TIME is what is important- the longer you are out- the more you see. I just returned from the Radiance (same itinerary, I believe as Celebrity?) with Adventure Bound a priority. Again, a spectacular trip even without getting to the South Sawyer Glacier. :) The Cpt is to be commended (Goran?) with very close viewing both trips.

As for your otter priority, you need to consider the Surprise Glacier route for more numbers and viewing.

I've been to all the glacier areas, several times. I don't agree, that Glacier Bay, should be given all the priority. All the areas are going to offer you some fantastic scenic viewing, with NOTHING fixed. Every trip will be different. With your priority of Tracy Arm, Adventure Bound does it best, overall, with their 9/10 hour trips. TIME is what is important- the longer you are out- the more you see. I just returned from the Radiance (same itinerary, I believe as Celebrity?) with Adventure Bound a priority. Again, a spectacular trip even without getting to the South Sawyer Glacier. :) The Cpt is to be commended (Goran?) with very close viewing both trips.

As for your otter priority, you need to consider the Surprise Glacier route for more numbers and viewing.

As always thank you BQ for your input.

I wanted to thank all of you for helping with my TAF question. I've pulled the trigger and booked Celebrity R/T Vancouver. I've been to Ak. so I'm well aware the ship or line isn't important and I agree with this opinion, this itinerary lines up best with our top priorities and budget.

Much prefer the inside passage over Seattle and doing a one way logistically is adding expense and days we feel are a tad wasteful since we aren't doing any real interior traveling. (cars, hotels & meals add up quickly in Ak) :eek:

Bears out of Ketchikan w/Island Wings...and...TAF out of Juneau with Adventure Bound (have already contacted both vendors to be sure the port times work well)

As for Otters we will give it our best shot out of Sitka. (still researching a private tour company)

Smiles, :p

Patty

I'll be on Radiance b2b cruises next May, and I'm considering the Adventure Bound excursion on the NB cruise. When you say you didn't get to the South Sawyer Glacier - how far did you get? Does Adventure Bound ever substitute Endicott Arm for Tracy Arm when there is a lot of ice in the latter?

What did you think of Radiance in Alaska? Were any activities offered that were "Alaskan" in nature? Some have posted that RCI doesn't do anything special that would make you think you were cruising in Alaska, so I'm curious about your opinion. Thanks!

I wanted to thank all of you for helping with my TAF question. I've pulled the trigger and booked Celebrity R/T Vancouver. I've been to Ak. so I'm well aware the ship or line isn't important and I agree with this opinion, this itinerary lines up best with our top priorities and budget.

Much prefer the inside passage over Seattle and doing a one way logistically is adding expense and days we feel are a tad wasteful since we aren't doing any real interior traveling. (cars, hotels & meals add up quickly in Ak) :eek:

Bears out of Ketchikan w/Island Wings...and...TAF out of Juneau with Adventure Bound (have already contacted both vendors to be sure the port times work well)

As for Otters we will give it our best shot out of Sitka. (still researching a private tour company)

Smiles, :p

Patty

We enjoyed seeing otters on Capt. Davey's tour in Sitka on the Esther G Sea Taxi: http://www.puffinsandwhales.com/#_=_

Edited by NancyIL

I'll be on Radiance b2b cruises next May, and I'm considering the Adventure Bound excursion on the NB cruise. When you say you didn't get to the South Sawyer Glacier - how far did you get? Does Adventure Bound ever substitute Endicott Arm for Tracy Arm when there is a lot of ice in the latter?

What did you think of Radiance in Alaska? Were any activities offered that were "Alaskan" in nature? Some have posted that RCI doesn't do anything special that would make you think you were cruising in Alaska, so I'm curious about your opinion. Thanks!

I've always done Tracy Arm with Adventure Bound on my trips. The tour didn't get past Sawyer Island for the South Sawyer Glacier. Time was spent at the North Sawyer Glacier. Tracy Arm had 30 miles of ice. The most I have ever seen, so this trip was just spectacular for the iceberg viewing (yes, ice burgs- size of multi story buildings), like a Columbia Glacier boat trip, since those rarely get up to the glacier, it's all about the ice. :)

There was a "Mountie" lecturer which wasn't of any interest to me, and not very Alaska related in my opinion. There was also a "Alaska" lecturer that had a terrible schedule, wildlife was the last days of the cruise- as example. Wasn't very informative on Alaska cruise areas or where to spot wildlife etc, more "education" based. Good narrations in Hubbard. No wildlife announcements- that I heard several complaints about- but, pretty useless in my opinion, in my experience.

It was a random Alaska cruise, I had no priority for selecting it.

I've always done Tracy Arm with Adventure Bound on my trips. The tour didn't get past Sawyer Island for the South Sawyer Glacier. Time was spent at the North Sawyer Glacier. Tracy Arm had 30 miles of ice. The most I have ever seen, so this trip was just spectacular for the iceberg viewing (yes, ice burgs- size of multi story buildings), like a Columbia Glacier boat trip, since those rarely get up to the glacier, it's all about the ice. :)

There was a "Mountie" lecturer which wasn't of any interest to me, and not very Alaska related in my opinion. There was also a "Alaska" lecturer that had a terrible schedule, wildlife was the last days of the cruise- as example. Wasn't very informative on Alaska cruise areas or where to spot wildlife etc, more "education" based. Good narrations in Hubbard. No wildlife announcements- that I heard several complaints about- but, pretty useless in my opinion, in my experience.

It was a random Alaska cruise, I had no priority for selecting it.

Thanks, BQ! Your description of the Adventure Bound tour definitely makes me even more interested in doing it.

I'm glad to read that Radiance had a speaker, although the lack of one would not affect my cruise decision. I picked Radiance northbound because I really like its 9-night itinerary - going to all 6 of the usual Alaskan ports plus Hubbard Glacier. It was also very convenient, as we will be on the ship as it repositions from Honolulu. I booked the southbound Radiance Alaska cruise to avoid violating the PVSA, but I'm looking forward to being able to do different things in the 4 ports that are repeated.