Disembarkation at Brooklyn from QM2 - help!

Over25

Hi can we get some advice about people's experience of getting off the boat in NY and getting to Newark Airport.

What are the timings involved in getting off QM2, and what is the best way to get to the airport?

Any advice would be welcomed, as to find out the answer on Internet is difficult and we don't know how much we should be paying.

Thanks to everyone!

Roberta

Hi

Once you disembark, call the local taxi company, Arecibo, on 855 428 0222 giving them the Red Hook location and the number of the pick up point where you are standing.

They will arrive in under 10 minutes and charge you $55 + tolls + tip for the journey to Newark.

They are very reliable and we've used them on many occasions.

Stewart

PS hopefully you won't need to get off a boat, they are for emergencies.

They assign a time for you to disembark, so it won't be a crush of everyone trying to get off the ship at the same time.

It's a fair hike from where you get your luggage to the immigration/customs lines. Porters are available if you need one (you're expected to tip them). If you've got rolling luggage, it's easy enough to manage on your own. No stairs, just a long walk.

The lines for immigration/customs usually move quickly, and then you're out in the pickup area. We've used the "dial 7" service to get home to New Jersey and they were good, so that's another option in addition to the local taxi. (212-777-7777)

Hi

Once you disembark, call the local taxi company, Arecibo, on 855 428 0222 giving them the Red Hook location and the number of the pick up point where you are standing.

They will arrive in under 10 minutes and charge you $55 + tolls + tip for the journey to Newark.

They are very reliable and we've used them on many occasions.

Stewart

PS hopefully you won't need to get off a boat, they are for emergencies.

Would this apply for a trip from the ship to Penn Station to catch a train? Thanks.

Hi can we get some advice about people's experience of getting off the boat in NY and getting to Newark Airport.

What are the timings involved in getting off QM2, and what is the best way to get to the airport?

Any advice would be welcomed, as to find out the answer on Internet is difficult and we don't know how much we should be paying.

Thanks to everyone!

Roberta

We reserved Arecibo car service to take us from Red Hook to Penn Station following our December 2015 TA - but had a very bad experience with them.

We used their online booking form to reserve a car for 8.15 am and had a printed confirmation. By 9:15 am we were still waiting and had no choice but to use one of the car services at the port. They were more expensive of course but got us to our destination.

This is the e-mail that we wrote to Arecibo after we returned home; it was sent twice but we received no response.

Good Morning,

We thought we would give our opinion on a very disappointing service when we docked at the Red Hook Terminal on 12/22/15.

We submitted your online application 10 days in advance for a car to collect us at 8:15.(Mxxxx). We called again when we cleared customs and many other times afterwards.We had a train to meet at Penn Station.

When a driver eventually arrived around 9:00 am he drove straight past us as we waved after the car - this despite giving exact instructions to the dispatcher of our location- passenger pick up area 1. We even ran over to where he was to exit the terminal and shouted and waved to him but he took no notice whatsoever.The security employee (directing the taxis as they entered the gate) was dismayed that your driver did not stop.

Your dispatcher was curt and unsympathetic to our plight. We eventually had to pay the car service at the port because we had no time left for this back and forth with your dispatcher. It was past 9:15 and we had to leave. We eventually caught our train to Virginia by the skin of our teeth thanks to the skill and knowledge of the other car service.

This was a very stressful end to our trip. Since we make this trip quite frequently with Cunard, we would like to know why this occurred.

Sincerely,........"

Based on personal experience we would not recommend this company if you have a flight or train to meet - unless you have several hours to spare. Their customer service was extremely poor in our opinion.

But, please read a broad section of the google and yelp reviews on this company so that you can make an informed decision. We will use the car service at the port ($40 fixed rate to downtown - no matter the traffic) when we travel in August.

Thanks to everyone!

Roberta

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the Cunard coach sevice. We always use their coach service from Brooklyn to the Newark Airport and have never had a problem getting there in time for our flights. We have also used the Cunard coach service to LaGuardia again with no problems.

Bob

Hi *****

That's a bad experience, and certainly nothing like our experiences with them.

We've even had them pick us up in Manhattan without any problems.

Must have used them at least 10 times.

Hi BigMac

We have used Arecibo twice - the first time the experience was just so-so which is why we decided to try them again. Unfortunately, this time they really dropped the ball. It was their extremely poor customer service from the dispatcher on duty that day, followed by no response to our e-mails (which incidentally was sent to their website "your opinion matters") that made our decision not to use them again. We understand things happen especially in a busy city like NY but at no time was an apology offered or an explanation given. The dispatcher implied that it was our fault.:(

Would this apply for a trip from the ship to Penn Station to catch a train? Thanks.

Sometimes Cunard offers a bus service to Penn Station from Red Hook. However, there are NYC yellow cabs lined up at the dock to take you to Penn Station.

A word of caution on the Yellow cabs, they are required to drop the meter flag on pulling away from the curb and NOT to charge you a flat fee. If you arrive on a Sunday the fare with a 20% tip should be around $20- $25. On a work day it will be more.(traffic) I have had Yellow cabbies try to do the flat fee route at $50 for the trip and I had to threaten a call to the taxi commission. After much muttering and swearing about cheap New Yorkers, he dropped the meter flag and we were off.

Sometimes Cunard offers a bus service to Penn Station from Red Hook. However, there are NYC yellow cabs lined up at the dock to take you to Penn Station.

A word of caution on the Yellow cabs, they are required to drop the meter flag on pulling away from the curb and NOT to charge you a flat fee. If you arrive on a Sunday the fare with a 20% tip should be around $20- $25. On a work day it will be more.(traffic) I have had Yellow cabbies try to do the flat fee route at $50 for the trip and I had to threaten a call to the taxi commission. After much muttering and swearing about cheap New Yorkers, he dropped the meter flag and we were off.

OceanMonarch

Thanks Lakesregion. We may try the yellow cabs when we sail in August. In December, we had to use the limo service (they line up in the next lane over from the yellow cabs) because the line for the yellow cabs was long by the time we gave up waiting for Arecibo. The fixed rate of $40 to Penn Station was good in this instance, as it was a weekday and there was traffic of course.

One caution on the timing. In the past, we essentially walked through customs & immigration in Reed Hook. However last month, the lines were long and slow. It took about 45 minutes.

Personally, we use Dial7 (212 777-7777) car service in NY.

THIS: In December, we had to use the limo service (they line up in the next lane over from the yellow cabs)

it was fast and charged a flat rate just a few dollars more than a taxi for a big black SUV ... we just told the dispatcher where we wanted to go and he told me the price. Bags in the car and we were off in 3 minutes . . . there were nearly as many of these in line as there were taxi . . .

When we got off the QM2 last month we decided to just take a cab to our hotel near LaGuardia Airport - we ended up in a Yellow Cab and the driver took us by way of downtown Manhatten , were we sit in traffic forever and by the time we got to our hotel - over an hour later our fare was 75.00. I was in the back sit saying along that I knew this was not the way to go but he ignored me. My recommendation - do anything but take a Yellow Cab.

We have also used the Dial 7 service several times and have been very happy with their cars, drivers and reliability. We will use them again in July when we disembark the QM2 July 7.

I live in Manhattan and I have always used Dial-7; they have never let me down and I have arrived at Red Hook many times. Some Yellow Cab drivers are good people but many are not and this is compounded by their ignorance of anything outside of Manhattan(if that)-so they take you for the proverbial ride.

When I arrived at Red Hook in May I noticed a number of lime green NYC taxis; they are new and metered and were created in the Bloomberg administration to serve the outer boroughs(Bronx, Brooklyn and Queens). They usually know Brooklyn and can get you to JFK or LaGuardia; they are not supposed to operate in Manhattan below 96th Street. Nevertheless they can pick up “out there” and bring you into Manhattan. That being said-I use Dial-7 and those who are strangers to our tribal ways should too. You can book by e-mail, they e-mail a confirmation and THEY CALL YOU to nail down where you are in the Pick-Up area. They will be precise as to charges-always tip 15-20%. Welcome to the Apple!:D

I live in Manhattan and I have always used Dial-7; they have never let me down and I have arrived at Red Hook many times. Some Yellow Cab drivers are good people but many are not and this is compounded by their ignorance of anything outside of Manhattan(if that)-so they take you for the proverbial ride.

When I arrived at Red Hook in May I noticed a number of lime green NYC taxis; they are new and metered and were created in the Bloomberg administration to serve the outer boroughs(Bronx, Brooklyn and Queens). They usually know Brooklyn and can get you to JFK or LaGuardia; they are not supposed to operate in Manhattan below 96th Street. Nevertheless they can pick up “out there” and bring you into Manhattan. That being said-I use Dial-7 and those who are strangers to our tribal ways should too. You can book by e-mail, they e-mail a confirmation and THEY CALL YOU to nail down where you are in the Pick-Up area. They will be precise as to charges-always tip 15-20%. Welcome to the Apple!:D

Thanks for that.

I'll give it some publicity on my cruise blog.

I just tried to email arecibocc to quote for an airport transfer and it bounced straight back, so I think we'll give them a miss.

Our hotel has quoted $270 for an SUV pick up (LaG to Pen) which I know is extortionate! We arrive late at night, need an SUV and must be reliable and ideally 'meet and greet'.

Any suggestions?

We have used Dial 7 a few times and for the most part been happy. last time we booked on line from the ship. I saved the confirmation. The driver turned out to be $10 higher then what was quoted. It left a bad taste in my mouth. We paid the price but when asked for a review I noted the issue. I did receive an email and was told that the price quoted was incorrect. Once I supplied the quote I was told a refund would be mailed. I'm still waiting and hoping for the best.

As we travel fairly light we always get off the ship "Self-Help" and on occasion we have been off before the yellow cabs start rolling up in numbers. Then we have used the Town cars or Limos to a midtown hotel for a fixed price which is quoted before you get in. If memory serves it was $40 last year.

MM

Although I have used one of the limos before there was just 2 of us. When I travel in August there will be 4 passengers + luggage. (one suitcase each). Does anyone know if there is room for 4?

Four in a NYC taxi ranks right up there with the circus cars. Either the black limo or a Cunard shuttle for four. The limo will be your least expensive bet as they charge per ride and Cunard charges per person. The limos will be plenty big for four and the luggage.

Although I have used one of the limos before there was just 2 of us. When I travel in August there will be 4 passengers + luggage. (one suitcase each). Does anyone know if there is room for 4?

We have used dial 7 quite a few times. If you book on line or on the phone they ask how many passengers and how many bags. Once I said 2 people 4 bags meaning 2 cases and 2 carryon sizes and they sent a people carrier style limo and the driver said next time just say 2 bags. The drivers are really nice and helpfull. Another time we left Time Sq area on a Sunday and when we got to the ship, less time than normal that driver said the quote too much so He shaved a bit off! Its nice to get into the car and know what is going to cost before you start.