Tipping on Viking - Americans vs. Europeans

yogimax

We only cruised European river once 15 years ago. I vaguely remember that tipping envelopes were dropped in a wooden box. The recent Viking recommended gratuity is:

Program Director – €2 per guest, per day

Onboard staff – €12 per guest, per day

Local city guides – €2 per guest, per day

Coach drivers – €1 per guest, per day

that is €17 per guest, per day, or almost US$20 per guest per day.

If we plan for a 15 day/14 night cruise, the tipping alone would be $500-600 for 2 passengers. Is this "European Greed"?

I've never understood the logic of tipping the bus driver on local tours. However, it's not a worry for me as I usually cruise on Uniworld where all gratuities, including local tour guides (and presumably the bus drivers) are now included in the fare.

Our Avalon cruise had one couple from the UK, 40% Australian, 40% Canadian & the rest Americans.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That is not the norm on Avalon, to have the vast minority from the US. Usually it is quite the opposite. Must have been a fun group with so many Aussies aboard!

We did the Cities of Light trip in May. I'm pretty sure there were no Europeans on board. Almost all American with a few Canadians and Australians. Well, there might have been one British couple now that I think about it.

Anyway, at the end of the trip we were in Paris at a hotel. I usually tip for housekeeping (comes from having raised three kids and feeling sorry for the housekeeping staff whenever we traveled). So I tried to hand the lady a tip and she actually told me no. She said in her beautifully accented English "it's my job".

I'm always confused about tipping when we travel but I will never forget that moment. What a wonderful work ethic!

Still have my cruise documents and info book from a recent Budapest to Nurem' Viking trip

it says wrt tipping: "Tipping on board is at your discretion."

The last night we got some 'departure information' and it was again stressed that tipping was not required BUT if you wished to tip there WAS a recommended amount and if you wished to add it to your ship account (aka charge it), just stop by the desk. I did it took two minutes .... I don't remember what the amount was other than it was less than what I typically tip on a Carib' cruise (and what Cunard recommended)

we tipped the tour guides a few euro each stop ... this too was mentioned in the daily brief about the next stop.

『Program Director – €2 per guest, per day 』

180 passengers X €2 X 30

Program Director collects €10,800 every 30 days just on tips alone.

What a wonderful life.

<『Program Director – €2 per guest, per day 』

180 passengers X €2 X 30

What a wonderful life. >

That is 2500E per week, at full capacity, not accounting for those that stiff or under tip them.

I cannot even imagine the number of hours they work on most lines (no experience with Viking). IMO, they earn every dime.

Edited by caviargal

That is 2500E per week, at full capacity, not accounting for those that stiff or under tip them.

I cannot even imagine the number of hours they work on most lines (no experience with Viking). IMO, they earn every dime.

Agreed, and when you factor in that this is all they get as they are independent contractors not employees and they don't get a chance to earn that every week of the year either so it has to cover the down time as well...

Personally I've always seen it as money well earned since the only time they are not working is in the few hours they manage to sleep as far as I can see...

『Program Director – €2 per guest, per day 』

180 passengers X €2 X 30

What a wonderful life.

Yep, only tips . . . The primary source of their income.

If you want to get nosy, talk to the ___ director on your next river cruise about how much they work for the cruise line. It's nowhere close to every day the ship sails.

And, to top it off, they have to put up with us! :rolleyes:

I share the thought that they earn every Euro!

Edited by CPT Trips

Still have my cruise documents and info book from a recent Budapest to Nurem' Viking trip

it says wrt tipping: "Tipping on board is at your discretion."

The last night we got some 'departure information' and it was again stressed that tipping was not required BUT if you wished to tip there WAS a recommended amount and if you wished to add it to your ship account (aka charge it), just stop by the desk. I did it took two minutes .... I don't remember what the amount was other than it was less than what I typically tip on a Carib' cruise (and what Cunard recommended)

we tipped the tour guides a few euro each stop ... this too was mentioned in the daily brief about the next stop.

Tipping the guides and the program director a few Euros a day is reasonable, but the 12 Euro recommended tip per traveler per day for "Onboard Staff" is more than I expected.

Someone has posted about "suggested" tips and some of those were for tour guides...my question is if we want to just put all of our tips on our ship account and pay with credit card will that cover the tours?

I guess my question really, are the tour guides on the ship with us, or are they local to the port?

And a side question, when you get on the ship do you get some kind of travel schedule for the whole week, or do they just do it day by day?

This will be our first river cruise and trying to figure some logistics. We like to "wander"...I was thinking there might be some ports we would probably skip the tour and just wander...BUT, someone had posted that the ship might/will drop you off and then continue to a different location, while you are on land.

This is the tread that answered nearly ALL my questions about a Viking River cruise - even if you are taking a different route

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2085470

Also check out the roll call groups - lots of info there too.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2230700

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1952390

Tipping the guides and the program director a few Euros a day is reasonable, but the 12 Euro recommended tip per traveler per day for "Onboard Staff" is more than I expected.

Why? Would you not tip for good service in a restaurant? Or a bar? Or your hairdresser/barber?

There are many people who share in that daily gratuity. They work together as a team - many behind the scenes. They all work very hard to make your experience something positive, and one you will remember. The 12 Euro/day is suggested only. Think about the service you receive - and tip appropriately. We have always felt that the suggested amount is reasonable - and have tipped more if we felt that the service was "above & beyond".

Fran

tipping discussions are often contentious. I wonder if we will ever see a day when service staff are paid like other workers? I know in some countries with penalty rates the rate per hour can be as much as $40 on weekends in cafes.

sadly some owners chose not to open because the costs are prohibitive.

dislike to see any workers exploited and depending on pooled tips from grateful customers edges a bit in that direction.

included tips simply means the customer pays upfront included in the fare.

we follow the customs where we travel and know the drill. we have also found in some countries staff/people refuse or do not expect tips. have to be careful not to offend and of course money is not the only way to show appreciation.

just a few thoughts/observations.