Santorini Options

maggi237

I haven't been to Santorini by cruise ship but I have been there on holiday and personally, I would advise taking the ship excursion even though it's expensive.

I'm one of those who rarely books ship excursions anywhere - private operators are always cheaper, or I wander around myself - BUT Santorini is one of those places where there's a real risk of getting left behind by the ship.

The reason is that access to the port is very narrow and congested. If the cruise line's bus gets stuck in traffic and can't get down to the port, the ship won't leave without you. If you're on your own or on a private tour, they won't wait for you.

If you're fit, then you can always get out of the bus/taxi and walk down to the port, but it is 600 steps, very steep and covered in donkey poo! Or you could queue for the cable car but the queues can be very long if everyone has decided to go back to the ship at the last minute. So it could all get very stressful, not what you want on vacation.

Edited by Marisawrite

I haven't been to Santorini by cruise ship but I have been there on holiday and personally, I would advise taking the ship excursion even though it's expensive.

I'm one of those who rarely books ship excursions anywhere - private operators are always cheaper, or I wander around myself - BUT Santorini is one of those places where there's a real risk of getting left behind by the ship.

The reason is that access to the port is very narrow and congested. If the cruise line's bus gets stuck in traffic and can't get down to the port, the ship won't leave without you. If you're on your own or on a private tour, they won't wait for you.

If you're fit, then you can always get out of the bus/taxi and walk down to the port, but it is 600 steps, very steep and covered in donkey poo! Or you could queue for the cable car but the queues can be very long if everyone has decided to go back to the ship at the last minute. So it could all get very stressful, not what you want on vacation.

All of what you say is true, however, depending on how many ships are in the day you are there (and the passenger capacity for each one). However it is doable and can be done stress free. TA has many recommendations of tours and such that can be tailored to suit your requirements and fit in with time frames with plenty of time to spare.:D

From the ship to Oia:

1. Tender to the island.

2. Get to the tp of the cliff. You can walk (free), take a cable car (5 Euros or so) or ride a donkey (6 Euros or so).

3. Walk to bus terminal (5 to 10 minutes)

4. Ride the bus to Oia (1 1/2 Euro).

There is alsoa boat from the tender port to Oia. I am not sure of the cost.

Tour buses do not return you to the ship. If you take a ships excursion, they tender you ashore at the new port, where you get on a bus. the ship continues to the old port, where the rest tender ashore to the old port. After the tours, the bus lets you out at the top in fira and you have to make your own way back down to the tenders. EM

We have been to Santorini (one of the best days of my life!!), and personally I would not recommend taking a donkey UP, at the start of the day. Trust me, you do not want to smell "like that" for the rest of your magnificent day in Santorini. ;):p

Problem is the donkeys move much quicker heading down the path. Also, later in the day additional deposits have been made along the path. Perhaps this option is best avoided.

We had a day in Santorini on my first cruise. I had never cruised before and didn't even think about booking an organised tour as we've always been independent travelers. I think we were lucky, our boat was the only one is port that day. We caught the funicular up, wandered a bit in Fiera (the town at the top of the hill) and then managed to get a local bus to Oia. This was in August and very busy. We were lucky to get onto the bus. The only taxi driver we spoke to wanted to charge us 150euros to take us to Oia.

Our friends were in Santorini a week before us and there were 7 boats in town that day. The queue for the funicular went forever.

My point is: find out how many boats are in town. Look at a local private tour or rent a car if you feel up for it.

We did a tour of Santorini (off Trip advisor's recommendations) that took us all over the island to Oia, the lighthouse, the white, black and red sand beaches, to the top of the mountain, wineries and more. It was wonderful for just the 8 of us in a comfortable van. Very cost effective as well.:D

Walk.

It's a great hike to Oia. Look around some, have lunch, and take the bus back.

Total cost 3 Euros for 2.

We considered taking the tram back down, but the line was SO long when we got there, we walked back down. Interesting avoiding the donkeys, but it wasn't that bad if you have good shoes.

It's bad if you don't- as we saw a few fall down.

And you need water. Saw a few others get too hot on the way down.

From the ship to Oia:

1. Tender to the island.

2. Get to the tp of the cliff. You can walk (free), take a cable car (5 Euros or so) or ride a donkey (6 Euros or so).

3. Walk to bus terminal (5 to 10 minutes)

4. Ride the bus to Oia (1 1/2 Euro).

There is alsoa boat from the tender port to Oia. I am not sure of the cost.

That's how we did it. It was very nice, had a nice lunch in Oia and back to the ship. Enjoy!!! :cool:

We were in Santorini with Celebrity last October. AMAZING day. I had read (either on these forums or in a guide book) that the best way to do both Oia and Fira is to start by taking a boat over to Oia (quicker than the bus) and then catch a bus or taxi back to Fira. We didn't follow that advice, but wished we had! Fira was great, but Oia was better! If we had gone there first we would have had more time to enjoy it.

We usually enjoy the ease of cruise ship excursions, but tackled Santorini on our own. It really was easy to do! And, the next time we go, we'll hit Oia first.

I don't normally advocate taking ships tours, but if your interests lie in history or archaeology, I recommend taking a tour to Akrotiri. It is certainly worth a visit.

You can take a boat trip to Oia from the tender pier which is what I would advise.

I'm also looking into this just now as we like to do our own thing. We are on the Vision from 3-9 September, our very 1 st cruise. Hopefully make the most of the day as we're there from 7am - 5 pm according to our itinerary

Edited by Ramekin40