Two Oasis Myths Solved -Towels and Bathroom Plug

Wanted to offer some info after recently sailing on the Oasis. They DO actually keep track of towels. We had the first time out on the day of departure so I was at a late show, rushed back to start packing. I had planned to take two towels back when I got back to my room as we had used them before dinner. I was surprised and annoyed to have a nasty letter saying I was being charged for 2 towels. I had to return them at the front desk by then, when the line was 100 people long to get the charge removed. So, those little scans ARE keeping track, beware.

Also, saw many threads saying there was no outlet in the bathroom, there is! It's tucked under the top light bar area, just search for it or ask your attendant.

Wanted to offer some info after recently sailing on the Oasis. They DO actually keep track of towels. We had the first time out on the day of departure so I was at a late show, rushed back to start packing. I had planned to take two towels back when I got back to my room as we had used them before dinner. I was surprised and annoyed to have a nasty letter saying I was being charged for 2 towels. I had to return them at the front desk by then, when the line was 100 people long to get the charge removed. So, those little scans ARE keeping track, beware.

Also, saw many threads saying there was no outlet in the bathroom, there is! It's tucked under the top light bar area, just search for it or ask your attendant.

A Nasty. Letter, I highly doubt that:rolleyes:

So did you think they pay a guy to scan towels and just ignore the whole system? I wouldn't quite chalk this one up as a mystery and somehow I don't view a letter explaining they are charging you for something you agreed to when scanning out the towel is a "nasty" letter. Did they made some disparaging remarks about you personally or just let you know you would owe them money if the towels weren't returned? If the latter that is hardly nasty and in fact I would view it as a favor.

Not sure about your cruise but on my last cruise it was very clear in the planner as to what time they had to be returned on deck.

As far as the shaver outlet I always see them and don't recall not having one. Careful as they are not rated for most things you would use in the bathroom. Don't use it for shaving, just charging or it might blow out an expensive electric shaver.

In the OP's defense, I've read several comments on CC reporting that the staff have told guests that they aren't really scanning guest cards. Not that I ever took the comments seriously but I can see where the OP might.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Never having been on the Oasis - could you explain the towel "thing". I assume you can take them off for port beach days. Are these towels from your room, pool towels, do they give you towels as you exit? Then what and where are you supposed to return them so you don't get charged?

Thanks

Never having been on the Oasis - could you explain the towel "thing". I assume you can take them off for port beach days. Are these towels from your room, pool towels, do they give you towels as you exit? Then what and where are you supposed to return them so you don't get charged?

Thanks

We've mostly been on the bigger ships (Voyager, Freedom, and Oasis class) and on those you get a blue pool towel at one of the stations by the pool. This way you don't have to use your room towels. They scan your card to record how many towels you check out. Simply return them and they scan your card again to show you returned them. This is to prevent theft. They tried not doing that somewhat recently (like a year or two ago) but I guess theft went back up because they now scan them again.

You can take these towels into port or wherever. You just need to return them by the last full day of the cruise to clear your account. It is nicer when you don't have to scan them out but it is still a pretty easy system and after a lot of cruises we have never had an issue.

In the OP's defense, I've read several comments on CC reporting that the staff have told guests that they aren't really scanning guest cards. Not that I ever took the comments seriously but I can see where the OP might.

You pretty much watch them scan it. So if the OP missed that he certainly wasn't paying attention. You can also go up at any time and ask if you have any towels checked out.

I think some of the confusion comes from them perhaps not getting it right all the time. I had two towels in my possession last trip and they told me I had none checked out but that is because I returned two (had four check out) and the guy must have put it in as all four returned. Honestly, when doing the scan system I've never seen them not scan one's card unless they are in a suite. But sometimes I think they do get the towel counts wrong (sometime in your favor and sometimes not). If you talk to them up on the pool deck they will correct it in my experience.

Regardless, if they tell you will be charged don't call it a mystery when you were charged for something they told you would be charged for if not returned.

We've mostly been on the bigger ships (Voyager, Freedom, and Oasis class) and on those you get a blue pool towel at one of the stations by the pool. This way you don't have to use your room towels. They scan your card to record how many towels you check out. Simply return them and they scan your card again to show you returned them. This is to prevent theft. They tried not doing that somewhat recently (like a year or two ago) but I guess theft went back up because they now scan them again.

You can take these towels into port or wherever. You just need to return them by the last full day of the cruise to clear your account. It is nicer when you don't have to scan them out but it is still a pretty easy system and after a lot of cruises we have never had an issue.

A lot of the issue isn't theft, it is lack of responsibility by cruisers that couldn't be bothered to bring them back to the ship from port. We went to Maho Beach in St Marteen and got caught in a rain storm. We grabbed a taxi to go back to port and the driver didn't want us sitting in wet clothes on his new seats. He opened the trunk of his taxi to get us a towel to sit on and he easily had 20+ RCI towels in his trunk. He said he can get as many as he needs by just driving by a beach at the end of the day.

A lot of the issue isn't theft, it is lack of responsibility by cruisers that couldn't be bothered to bring them back to the ship from port. We went to Maho Beach in St Marteen and got caught in a rain storm. We grabbed a taxi to go back to port and the driver didn't want us sitting in wet clothes on his new seats. He opened the trunk of his taxi to get us a towel to sit on and he easily had 20+ RCI towels in his trunk. He said he can get as many as he needs by just driving by a beach at the end of the day.

True, we've seen it several times at St. Croix where there is a beach within view of the pier where the ship docks. When the ship leaves, a sea of blue towels is visible on the beach.

Agreed. Although that is still theft. Similar to stealing a shopping cart and then leaving it somewhere later in the day. It is theft for convenience. Hard to believe these people didn't know they had to return it or be charged later which is why I think in most cases it is theft. I'm sure some/many of them go to guest services and lie and say it was RCIs fault they show a towel is on their account and they get the charge reversed.

Seriously, who would really want those towels to take home? Actually don't answer that. Clearly human behavior will surprise you more than it won't.

So then they don't have to be returned on the day that you scan them out? Just so long as they are all in before the end of the cruise.

Can you can them back in and then scan out clean ones for the next day so you don't have to stand in line the day you want to go into port?

Just out of curiosity - how much do they charge?

So then they don't have to be returned on the day that you scan them out? Just so long as they are all in before the end of the cruise.

Can you can them back in and then scan out clean ones for the next day so you don't have to stand in line the day you want to go into port?

Just out of curiosity - how much do they charge?

No you don't have to scan them back in each day. We simply take the wet used ones to the stand and switch them out for clean dry ones. We keep those in our cabin to use the next day whether that be on the ship or in port.

I believe the current charge for unreturned towels is $20 each.

Been there. Done that. DH had to stand in that long line to return the towels.

On the first sailing of the Empress, the towel attendant insisted that he had to scan my card when I was exchanging wet towels for dry ones. I had to explain the math to him. The last night I returned some towels and two staff members were nearby. I told the attendant that he didn't need to scan my card because I had taken the two towels from the table while it was unattended the first night. Staff members looked very unhappy until I asked if RCI would pay me $50 for scanning in towels that had never been scanned out, then they laughed. No, I didn't get $50 :D

When I worked for a YMCA our towel budget was over $25,000 per year and they were small and not worth stealing. It does add up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One might hope that the clientele would be sufficiently different as to avoid that problem on RCI, but apparently not. :(

It's a shame the OP needs defense and people's only contributions to the thread are criticizing the language of the post. There have been a lot of posts about towels never being credited for being returned. I think one cruise we may returned more than we took out (simple poolside mistake), but we never got a credit for returning more than we took out ;)