Heads up AMEX American Express offer; $100 off of $500

I have also posted this thread on the Princess Message Board.

On Monday, I noticed a special offer on my American Express card (on my online account summary) in the 'offers and benefits' section right below the posted transactions. Princess Cruises is offering " Spend $ 500, get $ 100 Back". You must attach the offer to your credit card BEFORE you pay Princess. My husband and I both have an Amex card, so we called our travel agent and had each credit card pay $ 500 to Princess for an upcoming cruise. This morning our online account had two $ 500 charges and 2 $ 100 credits posted.

There are restrictions on this offer so you must read the fine print.

There is also the same offer available for Holland America - "Spend $ 500, get $ 100 Back". Our next cruise on HAL is paid in full so we are not able to take advantage of this offer, but hope some of you will be able to do so.

Good Luck.

There is also the same offer available for Holland America - "Spend $ 500, get $ 100 Back". Our next cruise on HAL is paid in full so we are not able to take advantage of this offer, but hope some of you will be able to do so.
Would it work if you buy $500 in OBC?

On Monday, I noticed a special offer on my American Express card (on my online account summary) in the 'offers and benefits' section right below the posted transactions. Princess Cruises is offering " Spend $ 500, get $ 100 Back". You must attach the offer to your credit card BEFORE you pay Princess. My husband and I both have an Amex card, so we called our travel agent and had each credit card pay $ 500 to Princess for an upcoming cruise. This morning our online account had two $ 500 charges and 2 $ 100 credits posted.

Good Luck.

So you're saying there is currently a HAL offer from Amex for the same spend $500 get a $100 credit? I saw the Princess offer on both our Amex cards but nothing for HAL.... of course, we weren't offered the similar deal that Amex had with HAL late last year (spend $1000 get a $250 credit). :mad:

Edited by joepeka

Thanks for the heads up. We checked ours but nothing sadly. Wonder if it is for USA only.

The T&C's for the Princess offer state "Valid on U.S. website only." I assume that means the Amex U.S. web site - do you have a separate website specific to Canada for your Amex card?

I am in the U.S. and while the Princess offer was listed, sadly, the one for Holland America was not. I have seen this in the past with AMEX and when I contacted their customer service to ask about this, I was told that not all people receive the same offers, and if a customer has multiple cards, not all individuals receive the same offer. Also, something to be very careful about with AMEX offers is that they only apply to the primary cardholder. If, for example, a husband and wife share the same card (even with different account #s) and you do not pay for the offer using the primary cardholder's account, you will not receive the benefit. We found this out the hard way when I made a purchase using my account number instead of my husband's (he is the primary and I am the secondary on this account).

Thanks for posting this. I just went to my Amex account online and under the "Special Offers" section I found this spend $500 and get a $100 credit. Since we're about to book our first cruise with HAL it couldn't come at a better time.

Here's the details and the fine print:

Details

Get a one-time $100 statement credit by using your enrolled Card to spend a minimum of $500+ between 06/13/16 and 07/31/16 in one or more transactions online at hollandamerica.com by 7/31/2016. Offer valid on reservations only. See terms for exclusions.

Terms

Offer valid for qualifying reservations between 06/13/16 and 07/31/16. Includes spend for booking directly via hollandamerica.com, by phone @ 1-877-932-4259 or through travel agents. Excludes spend on board, gift cards/certificates, shore excursions, air/ground transportation, cruise insurance, group reservations and weddings and other occasions. Valid only on US website. Please note that hotels, car rental companies, cruise lines do not accept prepaid cards for charges authorized in advance, although prepaid cards may be used to settle the final bill. Check to make sure prepaid cards are accepted before attempting to use your prepaid card to take advantage of offers for these merchants. Enrollment limited. Offer is non-transferable. Must add offer to Card and use same Card to redeem. Limit 1 statement credit(s) per American Express® online account. Statement credit will appear on your billing statement within 90 days after 7/31/2016, provided that American Express receives information from the merchant about your qualifying purchase. Note that American Express may not receive information about your qualifying purchase from merchant until all items from your qualifying purchase have been provided/shipped by merchant. Statement credit may be reversed if qualifying purchase is returned/cancelled. If American Express does not receive information that identifies your transaction as qualifying for the offer, you will not receive the statement credit. For example, your transaction will not qualify if it is not made directly with the merchant. In addition, in most cases, you will not receive the statement credit if your transaction is made with an electronic wallet or through a third party or if the merchant uses a mobile or wireless card reader to process it. By adding an offer to a Card, you agree that American Express may send you communications about the offer. POID: CB7O:0001

I checked and we got the offer, but our next cruise is January 2017, so I guess it doesn't qualify since it won't count if I just put $500 towards OBC and it looks like the window for the cruise is only 6 weeks long

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I checked and we got the offer, but our next cruise is January 2017, so I guess it doesn't qualify since it won't count if I just put $500 towards OBC and it looks like the window for the cruise is only 6 weeks long

We paid $ 500 each on the balance due on our 2018 cruise and received the statement credit. There was a similar offer last year on Holland America ( pay $ 1000, get $ 250 back) and we made a payment on the remaining balance on our account and received the credit. Maybe you could call Amex and ask them.

AMEX offers are always changing, and somewhat dependent on the type card (Platinum and Centurian seem to get the best offers). The cruise agencies/agents we use are more familiar with the offers then ourselves. For example, when we recently booked a last minute cruise on the Zuiderdam, our cruise agent immediately said, "I think we can get you a few hundred more dollars of OBC via AMEX." She put us on hold for a couple of minutes...called both AMEX and HAL....and then told us that we were granted an additional $200 OBC. I guess this is one more advantage of booking via reputable agencies.

Hank

As someone alluded to, if you have not made final (full) payment yet, you can make a $500 payment toward your remaining balance due and get the $100 credit. The six week period you're referring to is just the length of time the offer is valid and available, not the period during which you need to actually go on the cruise.

Edited by joepeka

Ok, so I called Amex as I had the offer on my card. My husband also has a card, same account but his number is slightly different. For each of us to get the offer, it has to be activated on each card. His card was not registered, so I had to do that, which resulted in over an hour of calling and getting it right. The end result was that my cars got the offer, but his did not. Only one offer per card, so only one $500 for $100 worked. I called about his not getting the offer and was told Amex has nothing to do with what card gets what offers....what??? Anyway, I will just keep checking e offers on his card. A hundred dollars is a hundred dollars

If you have an Amex card log in to your account and see if you have a Holland America offer; spend $500, get $100 back. If you have the offer you must add to your card.

Offer Valid 6/13 - 7/31 2016.

I have had similar offers for Carnival and NCL from Amex and was able to use them on already booked cruises (applied a payment, got a statement credit). There is the same offer going on for Princess now too

Good Luck.

Thank you for this notice. I had success using my husband's card that showed the offer. My card only showed Princess. We were able to apply it to our Aug 2017 cruise.

I had this offer on three of my credit cards-my AMEX every day, my green card, and my premier gold card (not my platinum card-which is the one I always pay for cruises on-go figure!). If you do, and you open multiple windows, you can put it on each of those cards, and use it on each.

Just a heads up that if you booked through a TA, you have to apply the deposit through a TA. I called HA and since I booked through a TA they could not do it nor could I do it online