Island Princess Wine & Beverage Questions

ineedbeachtime

Hi all! I have searched and can't find a definitive answer to my questions, so I apologize if my search wasn't thorough and there are answers already out there. My questions are specific to the Island Princess...

I like wine - pretty decent wine. I have seen what's available on the cruise personalizer to pre-order, and I've seen a picture of the wine menu. Neither offer wines I'm too excited about. Are there other wines available, since there is no "Vines" on the Island? Is there a secret wine list I should know about?

If not, does anyone have a suggestion for wine buying in Vancouver? We are travelling from Calif to Vancouver via plane. We will likely want more than the Canadian customs allows, two bottles, especially since we're travelling in a group of 11 adults! I would just like to find decent wine at a decent price... but I've read a bit about "sin" tax in Canada, so I'm wondering what that means for wine. I'm looking for someplace with decent pricing near Canada Place, or within an easy public transport ride. Does Costco in Vancouver carry wine????

Next, regarding bringing soda on board. I know I've read that it's ok, but want to confirm with someone who has been aboard recently. I feel like some of the water/soda/alcohol answers become outdated with the cruiseline changing policies. I've read (on very recent posts) that you can bring your own water aboard. I'm guessing that's outdated, but can't tell when the poster last cruised.

Any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated!!

I've seen a picture of the wine menu. Neither offer wines I'm too excited about. Are there other wines available, since there is no "Vines" on the Island? Is there a secret wine list I should know about?

Is this the list you've already seen? It's from the Crown last month but my understanding is the lists are the same fleet wide. MDR Wine List

Edited by idahospud

No restriction on bringing water or soda onboard as of our last cruise (December) and I can't find anything now contradicting this. Obviously you can't legally pack alcohol in a water bottle, although some people do this. Most folks bringing larger quantities just slap a luggage tag on the case and give it to the porters, but Princess would rather you carry it on due to the possibility of breakage over other folks' luggage. Princess serves Coke products, so those who like Pepsi bring their own.

Alcohol - one bottle 750 ml or less wine or champagne per adult passenger for free, if consumed in the cabin. Additional bottles are allowed but get charged $15 each as you board. These can be taken to the dining room for no additional charge. Taking the two free bottles to the dining room may incur a corkage fee (spotty enforcement).

Flying into Canada, adult visitors are allowed 1.5 liters wine each, so you could fly in with two bottles each.

There is a BC Liquor Store at 555 Hastings a block south and two short blocks east of Canada Place. Costco near the stadium would require a metro ride to get there. No idea if they sell alcohol but do not see it on costco.ca website.

Someone asked the Maitre'D at a wine tasting why they didn't carry a particular brand of wine. He said two things of interest - wine that needs decanting doesn't travel well on a ship due to constant motion; and Princess only buys wine by the thousand case lots, so you won't see limited production wines.

Edited by LeeW
more

We stayed at the Marriott Pinnacle and walked the long block down Pender to the Coal Harbor Liquor Store. They had a nice selection and reasonable prices for Vancouver. BC Liquor on Hastings is about the closest to Canada Place if you are walking from the port after being dropped off there.

The wines by the glass listing is fairly uninspiring but the wine list by the bottle has some very good choices. At the bar at La Patisserie on Plaza deck they may offer wine buy the glass or wine flights from the full wine menu.

You can bring your own bottled water on board or available for preorder only you can get 12 half liter bottles for I believe $6.95 or you can drink the ship's water. Most of the time the ship's water is produced from sea water by reverse osmosis or flash evaporation and is purer than any bottled water. On some cruises they will top off their water tanks from ports with reliable water supplies.

Edited by IECalCruiser

The largest BC Liquor Store in Vancouver is at 39th and Cambie, which is conveniently on the way from the airport to the pier. You could even make an easy stop there if you're taking the Skytrain from the airport:

http://www.bcliquorstores.com/store/locator/160

They will have a large selection of wines across the price ranges. Costco in Canada does not sell wine FYI.

Hi all! I have searched and can't find a definitive answer to my questions, so I apologize if my search wasn't thorough and there are answers already out there. My questions are specific to the Island Princess...

I like wine - pretty decent wine. I have seen what's available on the cruise personalizer to pre-order, and I've seen a picture of the wine menu. Neither offer wines I'm too excited about. Are there other wines available, since there is no "Vines" on the Island? Is there a secret wine list I should know about?

If not, does anyone have a suggestion for wine buying in Vancouver? We are travelling from Calif to Vancouver via plane. We will likely want more than the Canadian customs allows, two bottles, especially since we're travelling in a group of 11 adults! I would just like to find decent wine at a decent price... but I've read a bit about "sin" tax in Canada, so I'm wondering what that means for wine. I'm looking for someplace with decent pricing near Canada Place, or within an easy public transport ride. Does Costco in Vancouver carry wine???? You are allowed to take as much wine aboard as you wish or can drink, (paying $15.00 USD corkage fee, per bottle, in excess of the one bottle per person) Cheap wine in BC wine or liquor stores will cost in the vicinity of $10.00 or so, with mid-range wines about $15.00 - $20.00, and then up for more expensive wines. And then,of course, adding on the Princess corkage fee will let you calculate how much your "decent" wine is going to cost you.

Next, regarding bringing soda on board. I know I've read that it's ok, but want to confirm with someone who has been aboard recently. I feel like some of the water/soda/alcohol answers become outdated with the cruiseline changing policies. I've read (on very recent posts) that you can bring your own water aboard. I'm guessing that's outdated, but can't tell when the poster last cruised.

Any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated!!

...VTX-Al

Someone asked the Maitre'D at a wine tasting why they didn't carry a particular brand of wine. He said two things of interest - wine that needs decanting doesn't travel well on a ship due to constant motion; and Princess only buys wine by the thousand case lots, so you won't see limited production wines.

Thanks, LeeW. That explains a lot - and it makes sense. I'm not a wine snob, but after living near Lodi, CA for 17 years, I love small wineries and unusual wines. And it's hard for me to spend 4x retail for a wine they bought in massive bulk.

We stayed at the Marriott Pinnacle and walked the long block down Pender to the Coal Harbor Liquor Store. They had a nice selection and reasonable prices for Vancouver. BC Liquor on Hastings is about the closest to Canada Place if you are walking from the port after being dropped off there. This is where we are staying, as well. Your info is just what I needed! Thanks so much.

The wines by the glass listing is fairly uninspiring but the wine list by the bottle has some very good choices. At the bar at La Patisserie on Plaza deck they may offer wine buy the glass or wine flights from the full wine menu.Good to know!

You can bring your own bottled water on board or available for preorder only you can get 12 half liter bottles for I believe $6.95 or you can drink the ship's water. Most of the time the ship's water is produced from sea water by reverse osmosis or flash evaporation and is purer than any bottled water. On some cruises they will top off their water tanks from ports with reliable water supplies.

I was thinking I'd be better off just bringing my usual reusable bottle. My husband mentioned that sometimes the shipboard illnesses start with the water, but I honestly can't believe that, if it is treated by RO!

Thank you so much for all this info. it answers almost all of my questions!

Thanks, LeeW. That explains a lot - and it makes sense. I'm not a wine snob, but after living near Lodi, CA for 17 years, I love small wineries and unusual wines. And it's hard for me to spend 4x retail for a wine they bought in massive bulk.

Have you viewed the informative Excel spreadsheet created by 'Steelers36'?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=372694&d=1452007348

It compares the total cost for wine purchased onboard with the non-sale prices at Total Wine in Florida and the list is still similar as on our April cruise.

The largest BC Liquor Store in Vancouver is at 39th and Cambie, which is conveniently on the way from the airport to the pier. You could even make an easy stop there if you're taking the Skytrain from the airport:

http://www.bcliquorstores.com/store/locator/160

They will have a large selection of wines across the price ranges. Costco in Canada does not sell wine FYI.

Exactly what I needed to know. Thanks. We're staying at the Marriott Pinnacle, but no reason we can't take a ride! I really couldn't figure out be searching online, whether Costco carried wine. Looks like it's specific to province, as to where you can buy wine... there's a Costco liquor store in one province.... can't remember where, but not Vancouver!!. Thanks again!

Have you viewed the informative Excel spreadsheet created by 'Steelers36'?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=372694&d=1452007348

It compares the total cost for wine purchased onboard with the non-sale prices at Total Wine in Florida and the list is still similar as on our April cruise.

Yes, I did. Thank you. It confirmed my suspicions that it would be worthwhile to buy our wine ahead. But the "sin tax" concerned me. This spreadsheet made me think it would still be worthwhile.

You have all been so helpful. You've saved me stress and money. Yay!!!

Exactly what I needed to know. Thanks. We're staying at the Marriott Pinnacle, but no reason we can't take a ride! I really couldn't figure out be searching online, whether Costco carried wine. Looks like it's specific to province, as to where you can buy wine... there's a Costco liquor store in one province.... can't remember where, but not Vancouver!!. Thanks again!

Pricing is identical in all BC Liquor stores - the only reason to go to the big one on Cambie is that you're passing (and bear in mind there's a $5 stop fee for cabs, and if you take more than 5mins inside they also start the meter running for wait time). From the Pinnacle I'd hit the Signature store at Alberni & Bute - only a few mins walk, has the better-trained staff just like Cambie, and a wider selection than the run-of-the-mill stores. Also open Sundays if that's relevant.

Is this the list you've already seen? It's from the Crown last month but my understanding is the lists are the same fleet wide. MDR Wine List

Sorry to go off topic- Deb, did you happen to photograph the Sabatini's wine list?

There's a Tuscan wine there (Lucente) that we became addicted to on the Royal Princess. We'll be on the Crown (hopefully) for a month in the fall and would be so, so happy to find it there.

To the OP - If you have wine at home that you love you can ship a case to the hotel you're staying in the night before the cruise and then just pay the $15/bottle corkage to take it on with you.

If it's worth the trouble depends on how much you like your own wine.

Edited by chamima

Sorry to go off topic- Deb, did you happen to photograph the Sabatini's wine list?

There's a Tuscan wine there (Lucente) that we became addicted to on the Royal Princess. We'll be on the Crown (hopefully) for a month in the fall and would be so, so happy to find it there.

Sorry, didn't make it to Sabatinis. Hopefully someone else can help you out there.

To the OP - If you have wine at home that you love you can ship a case to the hotel you're staying in the night before the cruise and then just pay the $15/bottle corkage to take it on with you.

If it's worth the trouble depends on how much you like your own wine.

An unlicensed consumer cannot ship wine from San Diego to Vancouver.

From the Pinnacle I'd hit the Signature store at Alberni & Bute - has the better-trained staff just like Cambie, and a wider selection than the run-of-the-mill stores. Also open Sundays if that's relevant.

Thank you! I was willing to go on our way to the hotel from the airport, for the knowledgeable staff, but this sounds even easier. I'd love to try some local wine, but not without guidance! Walking a couple blocks is perfect!

Their dining room wine list is fairly comprehensive from cheap table wines to some expensive premium wines. If you are into ultra premium wine, Princess has the top rated Opus One wine at $169, which is way below retail of about $230 to 270. However, do talk with the head waiter for your area for the "secret" stash. They generally have special wines stored in the wine cellar that are not listed in the main wine menu. We have had pretty good luck in the last 4 cruises we were on where the head waiter was able to find us stunning wine apparently stashed in the corner of their wine cellar somewhere. If you like certain wine on their wine menu but not the vintage, tell the waiter or the head waiter to search the vintage for you and they'll be more than happy to do that. We generally only order the premium price wines primarily because the markup is a lot less on them than the less expensive table wines. The head waiter told us one time they have minimal markup on premium wines but as much as 3 to 5 times on the basic table wines. Princess can sell the Opus One at such a low price because it's a special buy between Princess and Opus One winery. Yes, if you don't see what you like on their wine list, by all means BYOB but be prepared to pay corkage. Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Deb, I cant see the MDR wine list as it tells me I have to be invited to the blog. My question is really what are the by the glass wines, as I only like a couple with dinner and my wife cant drink wine, hope you can help.

Cheers Micheal