Just jumped ship (again) over to Princess

triptolemus

I am also considering jumping ship. Been eying on Celebrity Summit. Their sky suite is not big but their perks and current promos are pretty awesome. Found 7 days Caribbean in sky suite for about $3350 all in for Two. It comes with $300 OBC, premium drink package, unlimited internet for two, and I forgot the last perk.

My TA can give me another $300 OBC. Gosh! So temping. I'm waiting until this end of month to make my decision. Wanna see what the prices would be for Dawn in 2017.

We are looking at this same deal. Just waiting to see what the Dawn price tag comes out. Celebrity has some pretty nice perks with their suites and while it may not be the same "suite life", im not much for using the Butler and Concierge anyway. The last perk was the pre-paid gratuity

That would be a great choice. Celebrity is a great cruise line and I would much rather sail them in Alaska than NCL.

Got back a week ago from the MSC Divina - Yacht Club.

For context, we have done 10 NCL cruises, all in suites, twice in the haven. Yacht Club wins hands down on virtually every possible metric I can think of. The best part for me was the One Pool area, with a real private pool covered by half shade (depending on the time of day and direction). Just a very, nice quiet area with decent food and free drinks.

The only down side is that those free drinks only extend out to the YC restaurant, not the rest of the ship.

Some people complain about the food but I did not have one meal I didn't like and the staff bent over backwards to keep us happy with whatever food we wanted.

Yes there was some pre-cruise confusion about the booking but everything magically clicked together when we did the online check in (however I was genderless for a few days - no comments please). We did the status match from plat to MSC Black. We have another MSC cruise booked for 2017, to the north cape and Svalbard, again in the YC. I really wanted to give NCL my money for their north cape sailing, but the price wasn't even in the same ballpark.

We're not done with NCL, but I will wait patiently until their prices catch up with reality - if it doesn't happen, oh well.

Thanks.

There's an NCL Jewel trip prior to the Princess one above. And a Princess one coming up here very soon.

I have been to Alaska on NCL numerous times and I imagine there are some significant differences between NCL and PCL. But I simply cannot believe that it's $1250 pp worth of difference.

NCL needs to re-evaluate, in my opinion. They seem way off the mark. $3300 maybe... if they updated the suites. But they're still stuck in some weird timewarp with mind-jarring color schemes and dated furnishings.

I see nothing wrong with cruising multiple cruise lines, based on price and itinerary. We do not anymore, as we only cruise once every 9 months to a year so stick with NCL. There was a time, even being loyal to NCL we did sail other lines. Each have pros and cons. For us Princess wasn't a favorite, but that is just a personal opinion. Enjoy your cruise, sounds like a super good deal.

I'm afraid FDR has forgotten that there are a few (hahaha) other cruise lines out there that are far superior when compared to NCL. We've been happy with NCL but lately, wow, the prices have just blown us out of the cruising mood so.... I looked around.

I'm very excited about our cruise on MSC in 2018. Scariest part for me is the size of the ship. :eek: And it means formal ware too :eek: :p Should be fun, really.

Other than MSC have you priced the other lines lately and compared them when you consider the perks? Do you expect to get UBP and dining package or whatever for the same price you get another line for with no perks. Yes, MSC is less expensive but they are keeping the price as low as possible just to attract passengers and build their business.

We are paying, including ins. and all taxes, , UBP with bar gratuities and 4 night dinner package with dinner gratuities plus a small OBC 1250 a person for a balc on the epic. Take away the ins and gratuities the price comes to about 1000.00 a person. I don't see where that is much different than prices a few years ago. One thing that has shot up is port charges, but that isn't the fault of any cruise line.

Other than MSC have you priced the other lines lately and compared them when you consider the perks? Do you expect to get UBP and dining package or whatever for the same price you get another line for with no perks. Yes, MSC is less expensive but they are keeping the price as low as possible just to attract passengers and build their business.

We are paying, including ins. and all taxes, , UBP with bar gratuities and 4 night dinner package with dinner gratuities plus a small OBC 1250 a person for a balc on the epic. Take away the ins and gratuities the price comes to about 1000.00 a person. I don't see where that is much different than prices a few years ago. One thing that has shot up is port charges, but that isn't the fault of any cruise line.

I have looked around, yes. I don't base my choices, whether it's a land vacation or a cruise, on only 1 or 2 items. The prices for our cruise are probably very close to your prices and do include drinks and ($200) OBC. Can I match your price? Since I didn't base my choice solely on the price, I doubt we'd agree that I got a good deal.

There are, as I indicated, lots of other cruise lines. I'm trying MSC, what's wrong with that? It seems strange to me that you think it's fine for others to choose another cruise line, yet you seem to have a problem with my choice of MSC. I like things that are different, it's good to change things up once in a while and that's what I'm trying to do.

Cruising is fun, I'd like to keep that way.

Thank you for the reminder on MSC status match. I just completed the form. What did you do to prove your NCL status? I attached a screen shot of my Latitudes Rewards Cruise History page.

That's what I did as well. About a week later, they sent me my new number and status matched me as Black.

Just as an update, Princess began their Sip+Sail promotion today -- essentially, free Beverage Package. As we know, the Princess beverage package really is all inclusive as it includes bottled water and specialty coffee. It also retails for cheaper... $54/day, I think?

Anyway, I called Princess and they happily added the free beverage package promo to my reservation. There was no additional charges associated with the package and there was no additional fare increase. Princess also added some free specialty dining, although I don't have any details about that.

Wake up, NCL... wake up. Your competition is offering what is essentially the same product for $1250 less.

Edited by triptolemus

Just as an update, Princess began their Sip+Sail promotion today -- essentially, free Beverage Package. As we know, the Princess beverage package really is all inclusive as it includes bottled water and specialty coffee. It also retails for cheaper... $54/day, I think?

Anyway, I called Princess and they happily added the free beverage package promo to my reservation. There was no additional charges associated with the package and there was no additional fare increase. Princess also added some free specialty dining, although I don't have any details about that.

Wake up, NCL... wake up. Your competition is offering what is essentially the same product for $1250 less.

Thanks so much for the update! I am going to call Princess today to see if they can add it to mine too. I completely agree with you about the pricing. It's really gotten out of hand.

$54 per day, includes water and coffees, and they don't slap you in the face with a 18% service charge when giving it to you for free. That's a true booking incentive there. I'm truly astonished how many people have been brainwashed by NCL and think their promotions are so good. :rolleyes:

Make sure you check back on 6/21 - their free beverage package promo starts on Tuesday. PCL easily allows you to add the current promo.

I just called Princess and added the promotion to my existing reservation. There was no change in price to my current reservation even though the cruise tour is posted at 200.00 more per person than when we originally booked. We don't drink so we had the choice to add the 150 OBC per person instead, which we did and we can purchase all of the specialty coffees and soda we want with that. :)

In addition, we received the free specialty restaurant per person as well. It was super easy, no hassle and I have to admit, I am really impressed with Princess!

I just called Princess and added the promotion to my existing reservation. There was no change in price to my current reservation even though the cruise tour is posted at 200.00 more per person than when we originally booked. We don't drink so we had the choice to add the 150 OBC per person instead, which we did and we can purchase all of the specialty coffees and soda we want with that. :)

In addition, we received the free specialty restaurant per person as well. It was super easy, no hassle and I have to admit, I am really impressed with Princess!

Yeah, it was that easy for me, too. I was like number 239847293 in the queue. I chose to have the system call me back. When I got a rep on the phone 30 minutes later, I told her I was calling for the same reason everyone else was calling for today. She laughed and just asked for my reservation number!

I'm also impressed. There doesn't appear to be much loaded into the cruise fare to cover this -- at least from my perspective. The fare was $2049 pp when I booked a week ago, and it was $2049 today -- despite the fact that the fare sheet that had been distributed indicated my fare should have jumped $50.

And no "gratuities/service charge" on the drink package, either - that's a huge bonus.

All of this makes Princess very attractive to us, considering SF is our home port, right!?

Edited by triptolemus

Yeah, it was that easy for me, too. I was like number 239847293 in the queue. I chose to have the system call me back. When I got a rep on the phone 30 minutes later, I told her I was calling for the same reason everyone else was calling for today. She laughed and just asked for my reservation number!

I'm also impressed. There doesn't appear to be much loaded into the cruise fare to cover this -- at least from my perspective. The fare was $2049 pp when I booked a week ago, and it was $2049 today -- despite the fact that the fare sheet that had been distributed indicated my fare should have jumped $50.

And no "gratuities/service charge" on the drink package, either - that's a huge bonus.

All of this makes Princess very attractive to us, considering SF is our home port, right!?

Exactly. :) I am excited to give them a try!

We like Princess as well, but if you aren't in a suite and get one of their old beds ... oh my. We're waiting to sail them again until all the beds are upgraded, a process that has been hit or miss according to the Princess boards. Princess has a British Isles itinerary we keep eyeing, just waiting for the new beds.

On the con side with Princess, we always found the shows to be embarrassingly bad, so we avoid them. The food is presented beautifully in the MDR, but is a step below NCL or DCL in terms of taste.

But they have advantages. MDR service is much more efficient in our experience; set dining times have a way of getting things done faster.

not sure if anyone mentioned it, but many of the suites on Princess have walk in closets......some of them have two walk ins...Bathrooms can have marble tile and is essentially a two room bath as the toilet is in a separate room....oh, and some of them have two balconies also....depends on what ship....and then there is the one time free liquor set up with minis which you can swap out for something else....and free laundry.....and if you want to do it in a hurry, there are washing machines and dryers virtually on every deck....:) Just in case you want to do it yourself....:D

• 2 weeks later...

My sister and I sailed on the Dawn in an aft penthouse suite this last April. She had booked it back in February of 2015 and with the UDP, UBP and $300 obc it was $1750 pp. Now same cabin is $2899 pp and no $300 obc. That is quite a price jump.

We took our first cruise on PCL a couple of years ago, the price and itinerary were right. First off, we were upgraded for free from an inside to a balcony on the Lido deck when we checked in (not sure why, I assume they somehow knew we were frequent NCL cruisers and were trying to make our first experience with PCL a memorable one - it worked).

I absolutely agree about the entertainment on PCL; entertainment is probably the #1 reason we book NCL. The PCL entertainment was JV at beast.

Our dining experience:

1) The coffee was *horrendous* - some murky brown liquid made from coffee syrup, unless you ponied up for a coffee card.

2) They offer a freestyle dining experience at dinner, but we definitely felt like the set-time diners were the more preferred cruisers, with better service offered. Since we chose the freestyle option, we were often herded to 10-top tables and had to wait until everyone was sat before we could order. Ugh.

3) Food was slightly better on PCL in the MDR; the pastry bar (with the most amazing cronuts) in the atrium was amazing for quick snacks.

I recently looked at Princess for their Asian itineraries, but they couldn't match or beat what NCL was offering. I don't want to have to shop cruise lines, but it sure seems like NCL is forcing this more and more. And since we also live in the SF area, PCL is definitely an appealing option, finance-wise. Cost of a coffee card < cost of airfare to other ports. :-)

On the con side with Princess, we always found the shows to be embarrassingly bad, so we avoid them. The food is presented beautifully in the MDR, but is a step below NCL or DCL in terms of taste.

But they have advantages. MDR service is much more efficient in our experience; set dining times have a way of getting things done faster.

Edited by atomax