Am I a killjoy? (Pool party noise)

mrsgoggins

I think cabin placement is one of those things you just have to learn about as you go.

If they have to warn passengers about cabins under the pool party, they would have to warn them about cabins under & over all of the other venues where there might be activities or noise ... they'd have to warn that loud people might be in the halls at night or might slam doors at night ... there might be late night cleaning or maintenance in the halls for some reason ... the list would go on & on.

I think it's reasonable to expect that on a cruise there might be evening activities that are noisy. Even on HAL!

Edited by Lady Chew

Thanks for all of your replies - yup even the 'direct' ones ..... well I did ask if I was a killjoy :D:D:D

I love to think of people having a great time; it just came as a surprise to me that it was SO noisy in my cabin. As I said, I'd been under the pool deck previously and had heard the moving of the chairs on deck at 5 am, children (I assume) running overhead etc and knew that didn't bother me too much.

The pool party noise was just a couple of hours' irritation one night and didn't spoil my vacation. The only thing that did that were the dreadful events happening in the world last week. Senseless.

Back to the topic - no more A1s for me though. I have three Celebrity cruises in my future and at least one of those cabins is in a similar place and I will try to change it for an A2 today :)

Off topic a bit - I personally can't get on with earplugs (they give me a sort of ringing noise in my ear) I would recommend that anybody who can should always take some.

A winter cruise this January was badly affected because of inclement weather. As the ship rolled about sleep was made even more difficult by the fact that the cabin next door had the TV on all night at a very high volume.

It may also be that Celebrity ships seem to transmit noise more than other ships. Thinner cabin walls and ceilings maybe?

On Solstice last Christmas we heard the people on one side of us talking and laughing loudly several times, and we could hear the TV from the other cabin when it was turned on. A couple of times our TV turned itself on as well. We were also disturbed at all hours by the thump, thump, thump of kids running along the corridors, not only on our deck (deck 7) but also on the deck above.

The only disturbances we've ever had on the three Princess ships we've been on was when some people stopped outside our cabin a couple of times for a chat. One couple were in the suite opposite us and the other couple were in a cabin further along that corridor.

It could be worse. Once on Cunard Queen Mary 2 a friend was given an inside cabin underneath the night club. When she complained to Reception they knew all about that cabin as sometimes it is used for off-duty staff. They could tell her that the thumping would go on until 3am. They moved her the next day. It meant she was nowhere near the other 2 of us who had booked at the same time, but at least she did not have noise. I had to wonder why anyone would be put there in the first place.

I'm glad to hear there was something going on until midnight.

. :D Same here!

So often Celebrity ships are basically dead after 11 o'clock.

We try to always book a cabin sandwiched between passenger decks. ;)

The most annoying problem we ever had was on the OasisorAllure, can't remember which. Every two cabin doors share a small space off the hall, and the doors are rightnexttoeachother. There was a family group next to us, and the kids were constantly in & out of the cabin. Every time they opened the door they just let it go and it would bang shut. Ours would do the same thing of course, but we tried to ease it shut without noise. Most of the time!

We were above the theater on another cruise and we could hear the music, every rehearsal & every show. And applause and any loud noises.

Wow, that's a whopper of a tale. Long before CC or AQ concepts even existed, cabins on the top and next to the top floors were always, always, always the highest priced cabins on the ship. Everyone knows that.

I stand firmly with the OP here. 11pm needs to be the designated "reasonable" noise time on the pool deck. That doesn't mean library silence, but nor should it mean that the front half of AQ cabins need earplugs or white noise machines.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION,!!!

That's how Concierge developed on M class...no one wanted the overhang..so they did PR and turned them into "something special" with more perks and cruise points...then they became AQ.

Used to be , we loved the midships larger balcony cabins, .just under the pool deck.. But with much louder music, DJs, Salsa , zumba and thumping pulsating beat,,we now AVOID this location., We learned our lesson on Connie..the thumping, bass and stomping started at sailaway...the cabin actually vibrated, . We called immediately and the staff member they sent could not believe how bad it was...we re- packed immediately and were lucky to move to a more forward an AQ cabin..peaceful location.. Would gave been miserable if we had to stay there..esp with nightime events on deck.

Edited by hcat

Our biggest issue, and it happens on all decks, and almost always.

Is

The neighbours slamming their doors by letting them swing shut

Also the stewards seem to do thus as well.

Not all of us are early risers

One year our cabin was next to the stewards cupboard and the constant door slamming , drove us up the wall:eek:

We have cabin 1100 booked on Summit in December. Should I expect the same problems as the OP? My DH has a hearing disability and is sensitive to loud bass noises such as from a band. We do like Aqua for Blu and the Persian Gardens. Suggestions?

We have cabin 1100 booked on Summit in December. Should I expect the same problems as the OP? My DH has a hearing disability and is sensitive to loud bass noises such as from a band. We do like Aqua for Blu and the Persian Gardens. Suggestions?

OP here - just taken a look at the deck plans for you and 1100 on Summit looks to be a good location. It's above the Ocean View cafe and below the Sun Deck. I've no personal experience of this however, but it looks pretty 'safe' to me :).

Okay, my question really is, could/should Celebrity do more to warn you about the late-night pool party noise before you select your cabin/stateroom?

Background: We have just returned from a good 7-day cruise around the Greek islands on the Equinox. We attended all the main theatre shows apart from the first night and enjoyed them all, and loved the CD Alejandro and Activities Manager Rachel, who throw themselves into everything, and I guess were also behind the pool party which went on until midnight.

We were in an A1 cabin, deck 11 midship, right under the pool deck and felt the full force of the thumping of the music and could plainly hear the words, eg Satisfaction, Great Balls of Fire etc (good choices IMO). But, and this is a big but, we had had a full day and planned an early start the next morning and wanted to get to sleep by 11 pm. No chance!

We had an A2 cabin last year on the Constellation (also under pool deck but closer to the solarium end) and although I heard the moving of the deck furniture people talk about on here, it didn't bother me very much.

I did ring down to the front desk after 11 pm to tell them that not being able to get a good night's sleep was not my idea of Modern Luxury but I feel a bit mean about having done it; lots of people were obviously having a great time. NB My call changed nothing and nor did I expect, or want, it to - I knew it was scheduled to end at midnight. I just wanted Celebrity to know that not telling people about the potential for substantial noise in these rooms was unacceptable in my book. There was also dance-type pool activity one afternoon too, but then we were quite happy to vacate our rooms whilst it was going on.

Don't you think that these (premium) cabins should come with a warning from Celebrity? There must be those who know they are likely to be attendees at such events or enjoy regular late nights and therefore would not be put off. Or am I asking too much?

I Am sorry you had this issue. I Am sorry that you were not aware that your cabin was under the pool area so you could select a different cabin location.

Under, above or next to public spaces can bring on unknown and unforeseen challenges with noise and people and as such I do my best to not have those cabins no matter how coveted by others. Yet, one may not escape challenges with people in cabins next, above or below you, yet a call to Guest Services can go a long way to alleviate (hopefully) those issues.

All in all, glad to know you enjoyed your sailing...

Until next time, bon voyage

Choosing a good location for your cabin is rather subjective, at the same time if you choose or get a cabin under a public area you are FAR more likely to have noise from above than a cabin below a cabin, examples are a cabin under the pool deck, under the fitness center and treadmills, under the buffet, etc. OR, If you were the type that cigarette smoke really bothered them, then I would not choose to have your balcony right above a smoking section.

I would also suggest that (in general) Aqua Class cabins are in many ways some of the least desirable locations on the ship. Part of the success of Celebrity and Aqua Class has been to take cabins which were under public areas, noisy, under a big overhang, etc and turn them into “premium” cabins which people will actually pay more for.