Yank with AU/NZ Questions

Hello All,

My DW and I are cruising on the Sun Princess boarding in Sydney on April 5, 2017 and returning to Sydney on April 25. This is what we would like to do and hence the questions:

We would like to fly to Christchurch as soon as we leave the ship which is scheduled to dock at 7 AM. I noticed that the direct flights from SYD to CHC are early morning, the latest being around 9:45 AM on Air New Zealand and then at 5:30 PM. Question: If we walk off as earliest as possible, can we be at the airport in time? Would the train or a private service be best? Not sure if the ship docks at the OPT or White Bay.

Next, what to do in Christchurch. We will have only two days before leaving for three days in Auckland. The Transalpinze (?) train looks like fun. Also, any hotel recommendations. Any suggestions would be helpful. It looks like a beautiful part of the country.

Thank you,

Bill and Kathi

Hello All,

My DW and I are cruising on the Sun Princess boarding in Sydney on April 5, 2017 and returning to Sydney on April 25. This is what we would like to do and hence the questions:

We would like to fly to Christchurch as soon as we leave the ship which is scheduled to dock at 7 AM. I noticed that the direct flights from SYD to CHC are early morning, the latest being around 9:45 AM on Air New Zealand and then at 5:30 PM. Question: If we walk off as earliest as possible, can we be at the airport in time? Would the train or a private service be best? Not sure if the ship docks at the OPT or White Bay.

Next, what to do in Christchurch. We will have only two days before leaving for three days in Auckland. The Transalpinze (?) train looks like fun. Also, any hotel recommendations. Any suggestions would be helpful. It looks like a beautiful part of the country.

Thank you,

Bill and Kathi

No chance. You need 90 mins for international flight plus train travel or taxi approx 20-30 mins. Pretty sure there are later flights to Christchurch out of Sydney. You won't make that flight. Have you checked Qantas, Jetstar or Virgin Australia schedules.

Edited by icat2000

I can't help you with everything but this may be a start. According to the Sydney Ports schedule you will be docking at White Bay but my understanding is that sometimes these change - best to check closer to the departure/arrival date. White Bay is not the most convenient place as you will probably need to get a cab to the airport - alternatively Princess may have transport you can arrange. If you were at the OPT you could hop on a train.

I don't think I would risk docking at 7.00am then having to catch a plane around 9.45am. For international flights you are expected to be at the airport at least a couple of hours before departure. A departure around mid-day would be a bit safer. Hope others can help you further.:)

No chance. You need 90 mins for international flight plus train travel or taxi approx 20-30 mins. Pretty sure there are later flights to Christchurch out of Sydney. You won't make that flight. Have you checked Qantas, Jetstar or Virgin Australia schedules.

I have checked all of them. There are no direct flights after 9:45 to 5:30. There are connecting flights but they arrive late evening in CHC. Unless someone knows something I don't, please let me know.

I do agree with the time it takes to the airport, etc. Just wanted confirmation.

Thank you,

Bill

Totally agree with Sarah. There is no way you would make a morning flight.

Also, please be aware that April 25 is a public holiday (ANZAC Day). The equivalent of your Veterans Day. The streets in Sydney CBD will be closed for veterans marching and taxis may be affected all over the place.

Later

I have checked all of them. There are no direct flights after 9:45 to 5:30. There are connecting flights but they arrive late evening in CHC. Unless someone knows something I don't, please let me know.

I do agree with the time it takes to the airport, etc. Just wanted confirmation.

Thank you,

Bill

I just had a quick check and there isn't any until 5.45 pm. Might be better going for the later flight with ANZAC Day celebrations. Could be lots of hold ups.

Was there a particular reason you wanted to go to Christchurch for three days before going on to Auckland? Don't get me wrong, I like the city a lot but if you are very keen to go there you will probably either need to take the later flight or fly via Auckland. Would it be better to fly into Auckland first then go down to Christchurch a few days later. If you want the south island perhaps consider Queenstown also though I think those flights from Sydney are early as well. If you are in Christchurch the Antarctic Centre is excellent and also a drive out to the Banks Peninsula and Akaroa. There are NZ experts here who can give you ideas.

I have done the Tranzalpine; it was OK though I suppose it depends on what kind of landscape you have where you live. I didn't think it was spectacular but YMMV.

Because there is a 3 hr time difference between Sydney and NZ you will find that afternoon planes from Sydney do get in very late.

Edited by Aussieflyer

Was there a particular reason you wanted to go to Christchurch for three days before going on to Auckland? Don't get me wrong, I like the city a lot but if you are very keen to go there you will probably either need to take the later flight or fly via Auckland. Would it be better to fly into Auckland first then go down to Christchurch a few days later. If you want the south island perhaps consider Queenstown also though I think those flights from Sydney are early as well. If you are in Christchurch the Antarctic Centre is excellent and also a drive out to the Banks Peninsula and Akaroa. There are NZ experts here who can give you ideas.

I have done the Tranzalpine; it was OK though I suppose it depends on what kind of landscape you have where you live. I didn't think it was spectacular but YMMV.

Because there is a 3 hr time difference between Sydney and NZ you will find that afternoon planes from Sydney do get in very late.

Everything you said has crossed my mind, except Queenstown. We like trains and the area we live, Phoenix, Az, is a desert, similiar I suppose to your Outback. It was close to 120F today. So, greenery is nice.

Our T/A suggested that we go to Christchurch first, then to Auckland, to avoid an additional flight. Sounded great at first but the flights do not cooperate and now I am told April 25 is a national holiday. Is it the same in NZ?

Hmm, some deep though will be required. Nothing is set in stone and I have plenty of time til we leave the states.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions, etc.

Bill

Everything you said has crossed my mind, except Queenstown. We like trains and the area we live, Phoenix, Az, is a desert, similiar I suppose to your Outback. It was close to 120F today. So, greenery is nice.

Our T/A suggested that we go to Christchurch first, then to Auckland, to avoid an additional flight. Sounded great at first but the flights do not cooperate and now I am told April 25 is a national holiday. Is it the same in NZ?

Hmm, some deep though will be required. Nothing is set in stone and I have plenty of time til we leave the states.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions, etc.

Bill

Yes same in NZ for Anzac day. Only direct flight to Queenstown goes out at 10.40 am. Personally, I think there is much more to do and see around the Queenstown area than Christchurch.

There are connecting flights in AKL with AirNZ leaving at 10:35 getting in at 6:55 p.m., or 11:50 getting in at 7:55 p.m.

Either of those seem viable.

Emirates also flies Sydney to Christchurch. I have stayed in the Ibis and Novotel in CHC recently, both are excellent. I wouldn't normally rate an Ibis but this one is very nice. Many hotels (including my fave grand chancellor) were lost in the quake but of all the things being rebuilt hotels seem to have been a priority. I would think about staying overnight in Sydney too. ANZAC Day would be a great day to be in Sydney, watch the march etc. I am going to NZ on Thursday, flying into CHC so I will see if that inspires me on what to recommend, we usually just land and drive or fly further south to family. Queenstown and surrounds are gorgeous so that is well worth considering. My favourite thing I have done out of CHC is the Hamner Springs, hot thermal springs, I really loved that. In the Auckland area, my favourite thing was the Waitomo Caves.

Emirates also flies Sydney to Christchurch. I have stayed in the Ibis and Novotel in CHC recently, both are excellent. I wouldn't normally rate an Ibis but this one is very nice. Many hotels (including my fave grand chancellor) were lost in the quake but of all the things being rebuilt hotels seem to have been a priority. I would think about staying overnight in Sydney too. ANZAC Day would be a great day to be in Sydney, watch the march etc. I am going to NZ on Thursday, flying into CHC so I will see if that inspires me on what to recommend, we usually just land and drive or fly further south to family. Queenstown and surrounds are gorgeous so that is well worth considering. My favourite thing I have done out of CHC is the Hamner Springs, hot thermal springs, I really loved that. In the Auckland area, my favourite thing was the Waitomo Caves.

That Emirates flight is a great one but still has the same problem for the OP in that it leaves too early considering they are only disembarking in the morning and also it's Anzac Day.

As it is Anzac day in both countries, perhaps stay in Sydney for the commemorations, if that has no interest then fly to Christchurch, Queenstown or even Dunedin via Auckland. Check out Virgin, Qantas, Jetstar, Air NZ and any others as most have connections in Auckland that are doable.

Another option may be to stay in Sydney overnight on 25 April then fly early the next day. As this is Anzac Day I would think you might like to book something pretty early so that you can get a reasonable rate.

After reading all of your responses to my question, I am now considering staying in town for ANZAC Day and flying out in the early evening. The only thng to consider is our luggage. Or stay the night and fly out early the following morning, the 26th. OR making a flight connection in AKL to CHC or Queenstown as someone else suggested.

I want to thank all of you for your polite responses. I am really looking forward to our trip Down Under.

Bill

After reading all of your responses to my question, I am now considering staying in town for ANZAC Day and flying out in the early evening. The only thng to consider is our luggage. Or stay the night and fly out early the following morning, the 26th. OR making a flight connection in AKL to CHC or Queenstown as someone else suggested.

I want to thank all of you for your polite responses. I am really looking forward to our trip Down Under.

Bill

No worries, there is a baggage storage place right by Circular quay and the OPT (cruise terminal).

Do some research and then pick what fits your interests, timing and budget best.

good luck:D

Bill

If you decide to stay in town and fly out later in the day, many hotels (probably all) will be happy to hold your bags. So you can check out, leave your bags at the Hotel, take in the ANZAC day parade, head back to the Hotel, get you bags and head to the airport.

If you decide to stay in town and fly out later in the day, many hotels (probably all) will be happy to hold your bags. So you can check out, leave your bags at the Hotel, take in the ANZAC day parade, head back to the Hotel, get you bags and head to the airport.

Hotels will store luggage for people not staying there? Never heard of that before. The OP was hoping to fly out the day they disembarked.

Edited by Aussieflyer

Hotels will store luggage for people not staying there? Never heard of that before. The OP was hoping to fly out the day they disembarked.

No but any hotel your staying at will, but I think I got this thread confused with another one.

LOL.

To be fair the OP did say they might look at staying overnight in Sydney and flying out early the next day.

And I think that's where I may have got buggered up, either that or I was thinking it was the thread about hotels, either way, if your staying there they'll hold your bag, if your not staying there I don't know if any that'll hold the bags.

The hotels might hold your bags for a fee even if you are not staying there but I doubt it. The luggage holding services at the Rocks or at CQ would be a better bet unless you are actually staying overnight, then the hotel would be better.