Choosing a balcony cabin - forward facing?

nikitty

Hi there,

I've been on hold with Celebrity for over half an hour trying to get a "resolution" to my question. While I wait, I thought I'd just ask here as I'm sure someone would know! :D

We are trying to book a reservation for Dec 21st Millennium sailing from Hong Kong to Singapore. I've heard that the ship is not as nice as the newer ones but we really like the itinerary!

The only thing that I require is a bed that faces forward. I get terrible motion sickness if I sit on a train with the seat facing to the rear so I definitely need a bed that faces forward. When I asked how the rooms are configured, the reservation agent wasn't able to tell me and said that there is no way of knowing until you get on board the ship. I find that very difficult to believe having sailed Celebrity a few times before!

I was hoping to get a verandah cabin 2A or 2B with a bit of a bigger balcony or more space in the room (perhaps one of the sweet 16's?) on floor 7. Can anyone tell me if they stayed in a room on floor 7 and if they had a cabin facing forward? If I get a few responses, I can hopefully figure it out myself! ;) I was thinking the rooms from 7172-7180 looked bigger (sweet 16s? but I wonder if it would be noisy since it is so close to the elevator?)

As well, the balcony cabins at the aft - does anyone have pics or videos of how the room is configured? We have never stayed right at the back and are wondering if we would like it. We are hoping to stay on the starboard side as it seems that this would be the best views for the Asia sailing in December. (I think!)

Thanks in advance for any help with this!!!

Kitty

Kitty -

You may want to check the sticky here on the celebrity board with the M class ships.

I do not believe the reservation agents have information as to if the bed is by the bathroom or the balcony nor do they have information if it is forward or aft facing

I just tried to do a quick google search for celebrity millennium cabin #### you can sometimes find people that have posted pictures from there trip this might take multiple searches

Sorry I don't have a better answer for you...most of the threads I've seen only look at the bed near bath or balcony

Best of luck getting your answer

We always stay aft and the head of the bed is to one side of the ship, and your feet would be to the other side.

I don't like trains, limos, etc. where I sit backwards, but these cabins don't bother me at all, I love them - however, if you are very sensitive, when you sit on your veranda you will be watching the wake, and it will be "like" going backwards. I think because the ship is so lumbering it is not the same as being in a fast vehicle, but I don't know how sensitive you are to the backwards thing.

Hi there,

I've been on hold with Celebrity for over half an hour trying to get a "resolution" to my question. While I wait, I thought I'd just ask here as I'm sure someone would know! :D

We are trying to book a reservation for Dec 21st Millennium sailing from Hong Kong to Singapore. I've heard that the ship is not as nice as the newer ones but we really like the itinerary!

The only thing that I require is a bed that faces forward. I get terrible motion sickness if I sit on a train with the seat facing to the rear so I definitely need a bed that faces forward. When I asked how the rooms are configured, the reservation agent wasn't able to tell me and said that there is no way of knowing until you get on board the ship. I find that very difficult to believe having sailed Celebrity a few times before!

I was hoping to get a verandah cabin 2A or 2B with a bit of a bigger balcony or more space in the room (perhaps one of the sweet 16's?) on floor 7. Can anyone tell me if they stayed in a room on floor 7 and if they had a cabin facing forward? If I get a few responses, I can hopefully figure it out myself! ;) I was thinking the rooms from 7172-7180 looked bigger (sweet 16s? but I wonder if it would be noisy since it is so close to the elevator?)

As well, the balcony cabins at the aft - does anyone have pics or videos of how the room is configured? We have never stayed right at the back and are wondering if we would like it. We are hoping to stay on the starboard side as it seems that this would be the best views for the Asia sailing in December. (I think!)

Just FYI, the so-called sweet 16s with the bigger balconies are the first 8 balconies on each side of the ship on deck 6.

I believe they are all category 2C.

There are no sweet 16s on deck 7.

Here is a labeled photo that someone previously posted, which has been re-posted many times since, showing the sweet 16s on the starboard side of the ship, cabins 6016 - 6030.

2cbalconies1-vi.jpg

As for which way the beds face, I know that the beds face backward in 6030 and forward in 6016, so it appears that they alternate

(but I do not know this for a fact and hope that someone will correct me if that is not the case).

I don't think those are the sweet 16 cabins ... I think those are more forward and on deck 6 ... not 7. I think the ones you are looking at might be concierge cabins so they are a bit bigger....no by a lot, though.

We sailed on the Infinity in 7161 and 7163 if that helps ... no noise at all. I think the bed in 7161 faced forward (head first) but 7163 faced aft (feet first)....suppose it could be different on the Millie though ...even though they are sister ships.

Kitty -

You may want to check the sticky here on the celebrity board with the M class ships.

I do not believe the reservation agents have information as to if the bed is by the bathroom or the balcony nor do they have information if it is forward or aft facing

I just tried to do a quick google search for celebrity millennium cabin #### you can sometimes find people that have posted pictures from there trip this might take multiple searches

Sorry I don't have a better answer for you...most of the threads I've seen only look at the bed near bath or balcony

Best of luck getting your answer

Thank you pl! I'm not sure what a sticky is but I went to the Millennium subforum and was trying to find any pictures or info but didn't have much luck. I stopped around the posts circa 2013 but I could go deeper I guess. Hoping that others will be able to give me their room numbers and a definitive answer if the beds faced forward or backwards. Most of the rooms on 6 are taken - and I think I would prefer being on deck 7 as the decks below and above are sleeping quarters. If you were on Deck 6, Deck 5 could be somewhat noisy below depending on where you are, I would imagine. :rolleyes:

We always stay aft and the head of the bed is to one side of the ship, and your feet would be to the other side.

I don't like trains, limos, etc. where I sit backwards, but these cabins don't bother me at all, I love them - however, if you are very sensitive, when you sit on your veranda you will be watching the wake, and it will be "like" going backwards. I think because the ship is so lumbering it is not the same as being in a fast vehicle, but I don't know how sensitive you are to the backwards thing.

This doesn't sound too bad! I am going to try to look for pics of aft cabins to see if I can get a better sense of what the rooms would be like. Are these regular balcony (2A-2C) or are they concierge class?

Just FYI, the so-called sweet 16s with the bigger balconies are the first 8 balconies on each side of the ship on deck 6.

I believe they are all category 2C.

There are no sweet 16s on deck 7.

Here is a labeled photo that someone previously posted, which has been re-posted many times since, showing the sweet 16s on the starboard side of the ship, cabins 6016 - 6030.

2cbalconies1-vi.jpg

As for which way the beds face, I know that the beds face backward in 6030 and forward in 6016, so it appears that they alternate

(but I do not know this for a fact and hope that someone will correct me if that is not the case).

Thanks so much for the info on the sweet 16's. I think I'd like to avoid floor 6 because it's right below deck 5 which is a common area but I did see some nice cabins near the aft on deck 7 which looked bigger. :)

I really appreciate you giving a definitive answer as to which rooms were back and forward facing. Looking at the deck plan, I thought the first section for each category always started with back, but from what you are telling me it seems it faces forwards! I am just going to try to correlate your info to the rooms on deck 7!

If anyone else would like to give me cabins that they've stayed in for veranda cabins on deck 7 that were forward or backward, I can see if the info remains consistent!

Thanks so much for the info on the sweet 16's. I think I'd like to avoid floor 6 because it's right below deck 5 which is a common area but I did see some nice cabins near the aft on deck 7 which looked bigger. :)

I really appreciate you giving a definitive answer as to which rooms were back and forward facing. Looking at the deck plan, I thought the first section for each category always started with back, but from what you are telling me it seems it faces forwards! I am just going to try to correlate your info to the rooms on deck 7!

If anyone else would like to give me cabins that they've stayed in for veranda cabins on deck 7 that were forward or backward, I can see if the info remains consistent!

I think this is why I was confused about the "sweet 16's" - from this review found here:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/celebrity-millennium-deck-plans/dp/deluxe-ocean-view-with-balcony-2a-2a/cc/

I cut and pasted the short version. :)

Cabin 7180 Great ship with great service DeepThinker

Starstrans5.gif

Thanks to Cruise Critics we booked one of the 'sweet sixteen' cabins #7180 which is a category 2A but with a large balcony, almost twice the size of the regualar ones. Lots of room to move around or add a lounge chair or two!

These cabins sound good, although I'm not sure if the elevator so close to the rooms would bother me. The last cruise we went on (Princess) we were right beside the elevator and we did hear the elevator dinging constantly.

Thank you pl! I'm not sure what a sticky is but I went to the Millennium subforum and was trying to find any pictures or info but didn't have much luck. I stopped around the posts circa 2013 but I could go deeper I guess. Hoping that others will be able to give me their room numbers and a definitive answer if the beds faced forward or backwards. Most of the rooms on 6 are taken - and I think I would prefer being on deck 7 as the decks below and above are sleeping quarters. If you were on Deck 6, Deck 5 could be somewhat noisy below depending on where you are, I would imagine. :rolleyes:

Stickies are discussions that always appear on top of the first page of the Celebrity forum. The one that is pertinent for you is about the M class cabins: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1911871

If you are affected by motion sickness, a ship is different from a car or a train and you have to take into account that you will feel less movement in mid-ship cabins than on aft or front cabins and that, for most passengers, that factor is much more important than the bed orientation. However, if you feel that it is important for you, you should find that info in the sticky discussion for some specific cabins. Note that all the M-class ships (Millennium, Summit, Constellation and Celebrity) have identical configurations and the info you will find for one of them will apply to the others.

Moreover, if you look carefully on the deck plans on the Celebrity site, you will notice that some rooms have a short line on the wall between them (e.g. 7076-7078); they are communicating rooms. Taking into account that the door is on the wall opposed to the bed, that indicates the bed orientation. Good luck.

Edited by vivi9909

I'd double check on the availability of the aft cabins as I believe there was only 1 disabled C1 left on our sailing (we are on the Millie Christmas sailing you are considering). In fact, all the aft cabins are C1s and FVs (FVs usually for 5 or more pax this far out - and I'm sure they are also sold out on our cruise).

The best thing to do is to see which cabins are still available on the sailing and check those particular cabin numbers on the M class sticky for bed information (Viv has posted link above) ;).

Hi Viv!

Thanks so much for that information. I had a look at that sticky which had very useful information but I wasn't able to determine which way the beds face from the information. Some of them said by a bathroom or a mirror but that doesn't mean anything to me! :D

One thing you mentioned which really stood out was that if there is a door to a communicating room - that will indicate which side the bed is on. Just to clarify - if the door is on one side, the headboard will be on the opposite side? So does that mean that 7076 will be facing backwards and 7078 will be facing forward?

Stickies are discussions that always appear on top of the first page of the Celebrity forum. The one that is pertinent for you is about the M class cabins: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1911871

If you are affected by motion sickness, a ship is different from a car or a train and you have to take into account that you will feel less movement in mid-ship cabins than on aft or front cabins and that, for most passengers, that factor is much more important than the bed orientation. However, if you feel that it is important for you, you should find that info in the sticky discussion for some specific cabins. Note that all the M-class ships (Millennium, Summit, Constellation and Celebrity) have identical configurations and the info you will find for one of them will apply to the others.

Moreover, if you look carefully on the deck plans on the Celebrity site, you will notice that some rooms have a short line on the wall between them (e.g. 7076-7078); they are communicating rooms. Taking into account that the door is on the wall opposed to the bed, that indicates the bed orientation. Good luck.

Have you cruised before? Did you have any problems? I always tell people who haven't cruised before to try a short one first. It's not for everyone who suffers while travelling.JMO

I have cruised 4 times before - 2 are not listed in my signature. :)

I do get seasick but it really depends on how rocky the boat is - the backwards thing I have been able to avoid so far. Would like to continue this trend! :D

This doesn't sound too bad! I am going to try to look for pics of aft cabins to see if I can get a better sense of what the rooms would be like. Are these regular balcony (2A-2C) or are they concierge class?

We've stayed in aft cabins on the M class ships and love them -- they are Concierge (C1) sandwiched between family cabins on either side. The latter don't always become available for booking early unless you are a certain number of people (4 or 5, don't recall). The bed is definitely not forward or aft facing. I have a photo of our cabin on Infinity in this blog post. This would be similar to any other M class aft cabin. Scroll past the first set of photos and you'll find it. The cabin door at the far end would be facing forward, and the veranda aft, so you can see how the bed is laid out.

We've stayed in aft cabins on the M class ships and love them -- they are Concierge (C1) sandwiched between family cabins on either side. The latter don't always become available for booking early unless you are a certain number of people (4 or 5, don't recall). The bed is definitely not forward or aft facing. I have a photo of our cabin on Infinity in this blog post. This would be similar to any other M class aft cabin. Scroll past the first set of photos and you'll find it. The cabin door at the far end would be facing forward, and the veranda aft, so you can see how the bed is laid out.

Good advice, however Kitty does need to check on cabin availability for this particular sailing. As I posted above, I think there is only 1 disabled aft C1 cabin left in the inventory.

Good advice, however Kitty does need to check on cabin availability for this particular sailing. As I posted above, I think there is only 1 disabled aft C1 cabin left in the inventory.

I'm not suggesting she book this category, I'm just responding to her request for info and a picture of the aft cabins.

Thanks so much for linking your blog post. I enjoyed reading it and was amazed by how spacious your balcony was! :)

I am not sure if sleeping sideways would bother me. I am sensitive to motion though so I think I would avoid. Pretty sure those rooms aren't available as the savvy cruisers snap those up quickly. :)

Hi Viv!

One thing you mentioned which really stood out was that if there is a door to a communicating room - that will indicate which side the bed is on. Just to clarify - if the door is on one side, the headboard will be on the opposite side? So does that mean that 7076 will be facing backwards and 7078 will be facing forward?

Exactly!

I see that you sailed on the Summit. Do you remember your cabin number and the configuration of your bed? Since the cabins alternate (mirror-like), you could deduct the configuration of cabins on the same deck and side of the ship. Millenium has same cabin configuration than the Summit.

Exactly!

I see that you sailed on the Summit. Do you remember your cabin number and the configuration of your bed? Since the cabins alternate (mirror-like), you could deduct the configuration of cabins on the same deck and side of the ship. Millenium has same cabin configuration than the Summit.

Hi Vivi - what a genius idea! I searched back to 2009 and found my cabin number which was 8080 - but when I checked the configuration based on the connecting cabins, this would mean my cabin was backwards and i'm 100% sure it was forward. :confused:

I don't remember changing rooms but maybe I'm losing my memory a little? :D

If your memory is right, and I have no reason to doubt about it, I have to admit that my reasoning is possibly wrong. I'm sorry for that.

In that case you will have to rely on pictures of some specific cabins but, unfortunately, they are more or less scattered on various locations on CC and other sites and that will require some searching. Good luck!

I'm having a hard time figuring this "facing aft" problem out. Do you need to be careful to only face the direction the ship is moving in, or only while you're on an open deck? Do you need to sit in a forward-facing chair in the dining room? Whichever way the bed faces, all you really feel is a gentle rocking motion, if anything at all. If your drapes are closed I don't think you'd be able to tell which direction you're traveling in. I think I'd book the cabin location I liked and take some ginger tablets or Bonine along. I'm sorry if I just don't understand the situation, and feel free to ignore me if this is the case.

I'm having a hard time figuring this "facing aft" problem out. Do you need to be careful to only face the direction the ship is moving in, or only while you're on an open deck? Do you need to sit in a forward-facing chair in the dining room? Whichever way the bed faces, all you really feel is a gentle rocking motion, if anything at all. If your drapes are closed I don't think you'd be able to tell which direction you're traveling in. I think I'd book the cabin location I liked and take some ginger tablets or Bonine along. I'm sorry if I just don't understand the situation, and feel free to ignore me if this is the case.

:D It's fine if you don't understand! And I'll take the ribbing. I don't need to sit in the dining room a certain way but when it comes to the way the bed faces, that's for a significant amount of time. For me, when I'm on a train and have had to sit that way for a few hours, I find it does cause issues with motion sickness - and have also found that to be the case during cruises. Why deal with it with pills when I can get the relevant information beforehand and be prepared? :)

:D It's fine if you don't understand! And I'll take the ribbing. I don't need to sit in the dining room a certain way but when it comes to the way the bed faces, that's for a significant amount of time. For me, when I'm on a train and have had to sit that way for a few hours, I find it does cause issues with motion sickness - and have also found that to be the case during cruises. Why deal with it with pills when I can get the relevant information beforehand and be prepared? :)

Couldn't you just switch your pillows to the other end of the bed for sleeping purposes?