Palma de Mallorca - DIY?

9 hours ago, T.O.cruisers said:

Roger, I've already confirmed the car with your buddy Arash for pickup at the port. What are your thoughts on the Old Road to Soller, with all the curves? 

It is an easy drive with no drop offs  only about 7 miles of curves ,I have done it many times so don't worry.

take the tunnel on the way back to Palma from Soller

https://www.abc-mallorca.com/valldemossa/  

majorca-drives-soller.wdp.jxr

7 hours ago, roger b said:

It is an easy drive with no drop offs  only about 7 miles of curves ,I have done it many times so don't worry.

take the tunnel on the way back to Palma from Soller

https://www.abc-mallorca.com/valldemossa/  

majorca-drives-soller.wdp.jxr 249.93 kB · 1 download

Hi roger b - 

I tried reaching you about your recommended guide, Sergio.

Is your email still valid?

Could you send us info via out CC email (below in signature area)?

Many thanks!

GC

2 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

Hi roger b - 

I tried reaching you about your recommended guide, Sergio.

Is your email still valid?

Could you send us info via out CC email (below in signature area)?

Many thanks!

GC

Hi ,Yes      shoeuk@hotmail.com

15 minutes ago, roger b said:

Hi ,Yes      shoeuk@hotmail.com

I sent email to you already, but never heard back, and yes, at that e-address.

Could you send us email

GeezerCouple @ yahoo . com

Thanks!

ETA:  I did just send a second query to that e-address.  Thanks!

GC

Edited by GeezerCouple

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Roger! First of all thank you very much for all your posts and help!

My parents will arrive to palma de mallorca in a group of 10 persons aboard Oasis of The Seas, June 24th.

I'm trying to help them choosing tours.

I was thinking about Vaaldemossa and Soller. Because the most part of the group is + 65 years old, and most of them are not in great shape, they prefer to book an excursion instead of renting a car. Could you please recommend any good excursion for a group of ten, with a Spanish speaking guide? (All the group is from portugal, but they understand Spanish).

Thank you very much!

5 hours ago, framboesa said:

Hello Roger! First of all thank you very much for all your posts and help!

My parents will arrive to palma de mallorca in a group of 10 persons aboard Oasis of The Seas, June 24th.

I'm trying to help them choosing tours.

I was thinking about Vaaldemossa and Soller. Because the most part of the group is + 65 years old, and most of them are not in great shape, they prefer to book an excursion instead of renting a car. Could you please recommend any good excursion for a group of ten, with a Spanish speaking guide? (All the group is from portugal, but they understand Spanish).

Thank you very much!

Not Roger, but you may want to try the company Spain Day Tours.  They get excellent reviews on these boards and they do have tours that include Soller and Valdermossa.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mchell810 said:

Not Roger, but you may want to try the company Spain Day Tours.  They get excellent reviews on these boards and they do have tours that include Soller and Valdermossa.

Thank you  Mchell810 I also endorse your post for Spain day tours they have good reviews  and are well priced

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mchell810 said:

7 hours ago, roger b said:

Thank you  Mchell810 I also endorse your post for Spain day tours they have good reviews  and are well priced

Thank you both, I will reach tem! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I have been reading through this thread, and will be in Palma in July.  I have already booked the ship tour to Valldemossa, which is from 9AM until 1:15 PM.  Our ship sails at 5:00 PM, which means my husband will want to be back on board no later that 4:00 PM.    I would still like to see the beach, put my feet in the water.  Can someone advise me on the time it takes to get to Palma Nova or Illetas Beach, and would a taxi or bus be our best bet.  (I guess part of this answer depends on where we dock.)  We'll be on the Jewel of the Sea.  (I'd be satisfied to get to the beach by 2, and leave  by 3, just to enjoy a bit of the beach).  Is this doable, or am I trying to cram too much into one day?  Thank you.

9 hours ago, liveperson said:

I have been reading through this thread, and will be in Palma in July.  I have already booked the ship tour to Valldemossa, which is from 9AM until 1:15 PM.  Our ship sails at 5:00 PM, which means my husband will want to be back on board no later that 4:00 PM.    I would still like to see the beach, put my feet in the water.  Can someone advise me on the time it takes to get to Palma Nova or Illetas Beach, and would a taxi or bus be our best bet.  (I guess part of this answer depends on where we dock.)  We'll be on the Jewel of the Sea.  (I'd be satisfied to get to the beach by 2, and leave  by 3, just to enjoy a bit of the beach).  Is this doable, or am I trying to cram too much into one day?  Thank you.

No answer for you on the timing of your plans except to say if your ship sails at 5, you HAVE to be back by 4. That's the cutoff.

12 hours ago, liveperson said:

If you are back to the port by 1.15 pm you can get a bus (20 mins)or taxi (10 mins to Illetas beach , there is a nearer beach  Cala Mayor beach is about half the timings you then can have 2 hrs dipping your toes in the water,personally I would jump in a taxi 

https://www.seemallorca.com/beaches/cala-mayor-beach-palma-de-mallorca-cala-major-(beach-resort)-664263

Hi Roger, we have a group of 8 and are booking a 6/7 hour private tour, so we can pretty much do our own itinerary.  We would like to visit Valldemossa, drive through Deia to Soller and then take the Soller train back to Palma and hopefully have time to see a bit in Palma.  Our ship is in port from 7 am to 5 pm.  Could you advise what we would have time to see or do in Palma, Valldemossa and Soller?  Also any recommendations for a quick lunch along the way?

Thank you so much!

11 hours ago, NancyWill said:

Hi Roger, we have a group of 8 and are booking a 6/7 hour private tour, so we can pretty much do our own itinerary.  We would like to visit Valldemossa, drive through Deia to Soller and then take the Soller train back to Palma and hopefully have time to see a bit in Palma.  Our ship is in port from 7 am to 5 pm.  Could you advise what we would have time to see or do in Palma, Valldemossa and Soller?  Also any recommendations for a quick lunch along the way?

Thank you so much!

Hi Nancy,

Firstly you will have plenty of time for your tour and I think I have covered most of it further back in this tread, The timings are as follows :

Start your Tour around 9 am this will get you Valldermossa around 9.30 visit the Monastery leave around 10.30 take the road to Port de Soller ,you should be there around 11..15 . Aim to get the 1.30 pm tram to Soller   and the 2pm train back to Palma.

This should give you time for a quick lunch in Port de Soller around 12 pm , My recommendation is:

https://www.sollerweb.com/esraco.html

You will be back in Palma around 3 pm get the guide to meet you at the station this will give around 1 hour around the town ( not really enough)  and don't miss the Cathedral.

You might want change the timings around to give more time in Palma,  ie start a little earlier, or miss the lunch and snack on the way.See train times below

Come back to me if you have any more questions.

http://trendesoller.com/en/timetable/

18 hours ago, roger b said:

Hi Nancy,

Firstly you will have plenty of time for your tour and I think I have covered most of it further back in this tread, The timings are as follows :

Start your Tour around 9 am this will get you Valldermossa around 9.30 visit the Monastery leave around 10.30 take the road to Port de Soller ,you should be there around 11..15 . Aim to get the 1.30 pm tram to Soller   and the 2pm train back to Palma.

This should give you time for a quick lunch in Port de Soller around 12 pm , My recommendation is:

https://www.sollerweb.com/esraco.html

You will be back in Palma around 3 pm get the guide to meet you at the station this will give around 1 hour around the town ( not really enough)  and don't miss the Cathedral.

You might want change the timings around to give more time in Palma,  ie start a little earlier, or miss the lunch and snack on the way.See train times below

Come back to me if you have any more questions.

http://trendesoller.com/en/timetable/

Thank you so much Roger!  Such helpful information!

2 hours ago, NancyWill said:

Should we make time for Belliver Castle?  Or better to do Cathedral and walk around the town?

You could easily  do Belver Castle  at the start of the tour just start half an hour earlier you can then go on to Valldermosa 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Roger

We are arriving Palma on Monday 27th May on Oasis of the Seas.  We will be in port from 8am - 4pm.  I am informed that we need to be back on board by 3.30pm.

We have seen a Catamaran trip that gets back to Palma at 3pm.  It is the Oasis Catamaran and it is moored just across the road from the Auditorium de Palma.  Oasis say they don't return back late as they have to get everybody off and clean the ship ready for the next sailing at 3.30.

We don't want to be hanging around too long due to the time we have to play with so my question to you is …

Is this doable or will we be cutting it too fine?

Is there a taxi rank nearby? 

Or would it be easy to hail a passing one?

Or would it be best to ask the taxi that takes us in the morning to come and pick us up later? 

7 hours ago, livylotte said:

Hello Roger

We are arriving Palma on Monday 27th May on Oasis of the Seas.  We will be in port from 8am - 4pm.  I am informed that we need to be back on board by 3.30pm.

We have seen a Catamaran trip that gets back to Palma at 3pm.  It is the Oasis Catamaran and it is moored just across the road from the Auditorium de Palma.  Oasis say they don't return back late as they have to get everybody off and clean the ship ready for the next sailing at 3.30.

We don't want to be hanging around too long due to the time we have to play with so my question to you is …

Is this doable or will we be cutting it too fine?

Is there a taxi rank nearby? 

Or would it be easy to hail a passing one?

Or would it be best to ask the taxi that takes us in the morning to come and pick us up later? 

You should be able to ge a taxi passing by without a problem and it is about a 10/ 15 min ride back to the ship .personally  I like to be back one hour  before it leaves ,but I am sure you will have time as long as you dock at 3pm.

8 hours ago, livylotte said:

Thanks Roger.  I'm still undecided, I don't want to be worrying about getting back on board on time.  We may just spend a few hours on your lovely beach at Illetas instead.  Which one is the nicest?  

A wise choice the catamaran Attraction is quite a tame trip as it does not go very far along the coast and spends time in one of the bays in Illetas.

There are three small beaches in illetas all have sun beds,umbrellas ,and cafes.you can easily walk between them in a few mins .

So take your pick all are a bit different .

beach.jpg

beach 1.png

beach4.jpg

2 hours ago, susanrobert said:

Are taxi's readily available at Palma Nova beach back to the ship?  Royal offers round trip transporation for $21 pp.

Many thanks!!

Yes There is a taxi rank in Palma Nova , you will have no problem getting one, if you take the Royal transportation you might be restricted to the time you can spend on the beach, and it will be cheaper by taxi if there are 4 of you.

2 hours ago, roger b said:

Yes There is a taxi rank in Palma Nova , you will have no problem getting one, if you take the Royal transportation you might be restricted to the time you can spend on the beach, and it will be cheaper by taxi if there are 4 of you.

Thanks so much for the quick reply.  There are 4 of us.  Do you recall an approximate price for the taxi?  I've seen varying amounts.

I really appreciate your assistance.

40 minutes ago, susanrobert said:

Thanks so much for the quick reply.  There are 4 of us.  Do you recall an approximate price for the taxi?  I've seen varying amounts.

I really appreciate your assistance.

Around 18/20 euros, ask for a price and make sure they switch on the meter and make sure he takes the motorway it should only take around 15 mins.

https://www.taxifarefinder.com/main.php?city=Palma-de-Majorca&from=C.C.+Porto+Pi%2C+Av.+de+Gabriel+Roca%2C+54%2C+Palma+de+Mallorca%2C+Illes+Balears+07015%2C+Spain&to=Palma+Nova+Garden%2C+Calvià%2C+Illes+Balears+07181%2C+Spain&fromCoord=39.551502,2.621197&toCoord=39.523895,2.53649

Edited by roger b
wrong spelling

13 minutes ago, roger b said:

Thanks a bunch!!