QM2 post-refit TA log

BlueRiband

The best laid plans were foiled by eggs and bacon.

Original muster drill time was 4PM with sailing scheduled for 4:30. Cunard had brought on guests during the day and had set up a tent near the end of the Ocean Terminal. All of the send away activities were timed to coincide with the conclusion of their reception and QM2 would sail behind QE with QV to follow. Well, we didn’t sail until after 8PM and by then the baby queens had already departed to keep their schedules. (That, and the potential of Cunard having to pay massive overtime at three piers probably had something to do with it.) QM2 was still provisioning with eggs, bacon, and pallets upon pallets of who knows what. Even as the Cunard ceremony was ending their remarks a provision truck came through the gate and parked between the ship and said party tent.

(We sailed 10 minutes after the last provision pallet was loaded. As she pulled away from the pier a pyrotechnic team fired off red, white, and blue confetti, followed by smoke, followed by Roman candles and fireworks along the edge of the pier. While I did get some video captured I don’t know how it turned out as these often appear just yellow in standard photography.)

Those embarking in Southampton were probably on their last Cunard voyage. As I returned from an excursion about 1PM there was a mass of humanity and nothing was moving. Captain Wells later apologized for an “IT glitch”. All the marketing in the world won’t help Cunard if embarkation is anything like I’ve seen today and on Tuesday in Hamburg. It’s not as if the ship had to make an emergency diversion and 2600 passengers showing up here was a surprise.

Now for some positive observations. The teak promenade deck loungers where returned. They’re not new but looked like they were re-varnished. The new cushions are just plain beige. (Perhaps the blue ones with the Cunard logo had some “rescuers”. People think they are so clever but a business responds to loss of inventory by making an item less “vulnerable” or removing it altogether.)

I sampled the offerings in the Carinthia Lounge. This is really a vast upgrade over the Winter Garden. There is the starboard side service counter - shown in the pre-refit CGIs - with plates of light meals. There’s a hot side with a warmer for hot sandwiches and bread. The right side is the chilled side with desserts and cold seafood and meat plates. It’s staffed by two galley crew who put up prepare these in small batches so items are not sitting there for hours. There is no beverage stand, not even water. So the setup encourages one to buy a drink or specialty coffee from the bar. This was getting more activity as more passengers managed to get on the ship. The exits to the promenade deck there are now marked “emergency exit only”. Now one would have to use the exits near the gym or near B stairway. On the port side is a refrigeration unit which displays wine bottles horizontally. To my surprise passengers can open it and inspect the wines.

The crockery has been replaced. It’s a new Wedgwood pattern with a delicate honeycomb pattern on deep blue. No Cunard logos on it, but then the old service didn’t have them either. (If memory serves, in 2004 a version for sale in the gift shop did have Cunard logos but apparently it was never re-issued once it sold out.)

The in-room coffee machine uses Illy pods, and these were just now supplied at Southampton.

The atmosphere of the ship is now starting to feel like a transatlantic. We previously had too many people on board who were in the 2-day party cruise mode.

Yesterday I mentioned that the clocks near the D stairway – as well as the Grand Lobby – were all way off by differing degrees. I notice that the clocks on the promenade deck were gone altogether. I hope they’re not gone for good. When time zones change it’s very helpful have a convenient way to check the official shipboard time. No Eight Bells. No promenade clocks.

The Bell is still onboard and will appear in a new location very soon.

According to my source onboard.

There is still much fine tuning to be done throughout the ship and this is a work in progress.

Edited by Bell Boy

Waiting for the bacon and eggs, eh? Don't leave port without it!

This has me wondering if we really did wait for bacon in Bermuda. Many years ago, QE2 was late leaving the Dockyard. Passengers were standing by the rail on Boat Deck, waiting for departure, but nothing was happening. The rumor was that the ship was running low on bacon, and fresh supplies had been flown to Bermuda. The problem was that the airport is not close to the Dockyard, and the bacon courier was stuck in traffic. I figured it was one of those silly rumors that go around onboard, but maybe not...

The Bell is still onboard and will appear in a new location very soon.

According to my source onboard.

There is still much fine tuning to be done throughout the ship and this is a work in progress.

Hmm, wonder what the new location will be? QE2's bell just sat at an elevator lobby. I hope they do better by QM2's bell. Why not return it to the atrium? It could sit in the little curved area above where it says GRAND LOBBY.

Ringing eight bells at noon is a nice custom, and I hope it continues. I have to laugh now, because it wasn't too many years ago that that noon ritual started. When Cunard's management was merged with Princess out in California is when the ringing was started, and I remember on these very pages how so many here tossed it off as being quaint and not a worthy Cunard tradition. Times have changed, and it didn't take very long either!

Hmm, wonder what the new location will be? QE2's bell just sat at an elevator lobby. I hope they do better by QM2's bell. Why not return it to the atrium? It could sit in the little curved area above where it says GRAND LOBBY.

I don't know that would be the best place for it. It's a spot where people like to stand, look up, and take it all in.

Some had asked about the Queens Room: No major changes. Reupholstered, and new table lamps and wall sconces.

The pools re-opened, finally. While he spa pool has reopened the spa hot tub is dry. According to one staff member it’s leaking into one of the treatment rooms.

Deck 13 cabins are reported to be unoccupied. Carnival employees are staying in them as problems with utilities are being worked on. Cunard was selling these a year ago – which is how we found out that the rumors about these cabins were no longer rumors. Workmen are on board as carpet laying continues in the hallways.

This was the first formal night and also the Captain’s cocktail party for Grills and Club passengers. Only a few long dresses, but many men in black tie. With over 1000 passengers from the UK that may have had something to do with it as I had previously noted that British women largely prefer short evening dresses.

It’s interesting to be on board at this time of the BREXIT vote. The UK citizens that I’ve spoken with are happy with the decision. Whatever the reaction, the GBP fell against the USD so that will have an immediate effect on fares for UK passengers.

The eight day crossing is already feeling different. The morning out of Southampton and we can see the Isles of Scilly on the horizon. When I can still see a land mass it makes it feel like we’re not advancing as we should. Since we are sailing into a head wind it’s been very breezy on deck but not enough to close anything off. The new deck 14 space was open but nobody staid there long. A thread yesterday stated what they wouldn’t sail QM2 again unless smoking was banned from G32 and Cunard provided “decent outdoor dining”. Well, there’s a reason the Boardwalk Café is usually closed and ship doesn’t have an Al Fresco space like the baby Queen. There’s no decent outdoor space in which to do this.

If you leave your balcony curtains open during the day, be fully dressed.

After hearing some banging outside I noticed a workman on my balcony. All of the interconnecting balcony dividers were being opened up. There’s a drainage trough on the inside part of the balcony and decorative grills were being fitted over the open troughs.

I’ve heard at least two reports of defective TVs, and one that was physically smashed.

Something I noted under the heading of not thinking long-term. While in the Carinthia Lounge I looked up at a light fixture. I cannot see how bulbs are changed without the entire fixture having to be taken down. There is a cylinder type globe over each bulb and the top of the globes is within only a couple of inches of the ceiling.

Six internet terminals are now in the library. They had previously been removed but evidently there is a demand for these. I checked out the bookstore. There is a rack of general interest paperbacks but all of the nautical books and posters are gone. No greeting cards. Those shelves are filled with QM2 glasses and knick knacks. Don’t know if that’s permanent or just until they find things that were put away. The only nautical books are Stephen Payne’s book and a Cunard history picture book.

Overheard a conversation by somebody who came off the QE in Southampton: “On that ship they know how to do things.” Remastered QM2 has a lot of teething pains. I’m speculating how things will go at NY embarkation. Given the changes made to water tight doors and other things the Coast Guard may be waiting for her.

"This was the first formal night and also the Captain’s cocktail party for Grills and Club passengers. Only a few long dresses, but many men in black tie."

While half of me is disappointed to hear this, the other half is quite pleased, as I've had to adjust my packing for the trip and have opted for a pair of very floaty, black chiffon trousers that I can wear with different tops.

Husband will still be in his formal kilt attire, so I think people will forgive me the lack of ball gown :)

Something I noted under the heading of not thinking long-term. While in the Carinthia Lounge I looked up at a light fixture. I cannot see how bulbs are changed without the entire fixture having to be taken down. There is a cylinder type globe over each bulb and the top of the globes is within only a couple of inches of the ceiling.

If they're LED, the bulbs will likely last years.

Do yo know or have you heard if Churchill's Cigar Lounge has had any upgrades, especially the ventilation system? Thank you!

Yes It certainly has had a refresh. The carpet in there looks wonderful ( in-fact it's one of my favourites) the chairs have also been re covered.

As for the ventilation I don't know, but as this was one the most major refits Cunard has ever undertaken one would assume that the ventilation system has already been taken care of.

To answer a couple of questions posted earlier: Smoking is now restricted to deck 7 aft. The deck 8 aft tables have “no smoking” cards. Churchill’s has improved ventilation but at the moment only Romeo e Julietta and Churchill brands – no Cohibas. Commodore Club is active so it will be interesting to see if the new Carinthia Lounges has created additional business or take it from the Commodore Club and Chart Room.

I spoke too soon about bathers cutting through Verandah. In the morning there was a steady parade passing through. The problem seems to be that there is no alternative on the port side to go directly from inside 8 deck to outside. The port side door is marked “crew only”. One can only reach it from 7 deck and that’s just off the Princess Grill entrance. I’ll try to inquire what if anything they do about it when the restaurant is open.

There are workman on board still replacing and fixing things. Today I saw two wearing shirts reading “Outdoor Lighting” and a third wearing overalls with a Carnival UK logo. Another worker was fitting the grills around the top edge of the deck 6 pool. The Minnows splash pool next to the Kids Zone is still there. It’s untouched but had water and appeared to be ready for use.

The broken planetarium seats are still broken. How is it that a signature space isn’t repaired in now two refits? But my table mates did get a new TV.

I spoke too soon about bathers cutting through Verandah. In the morning there was a steady parade passing through. The problem seems to be that there is no alternative on the port side to go directly from inside 8 deck to outside. The port side door is marked “crew only”. One can only reach it from 7 deck and that’s just off the Princess Grill entrance. I’ll try to inquire what if anything they do about it when the restaurant is open......

.......The broken planetarium seats are still broken. How is it that a signature space isn’t repaired in now two refits? But my table mates did get a new TV.

Disappointing to read both points here - one the stream of people through the Verandah. It sounds like Cunard did not properly consider access for passengers or maybe they just thought they'd let it go.

Also the planetarium is not welcome news. This is a space that Cunard loudly touts as the only one at sea and something only they can provide and again the broken seats have not been repaired. Last time I was on her there were more than just a few that were broken.

There was some talk about changes to Sir Samuels with the opening of the new lounge. Is Sir Samuels still where it was and serving coffee/tea etc?

Edited by Aussieflyer

Delighted to hear that there is now no longer smoking on those tables under the awning outside the Verandah.

It beggars belief that some years ago (during a refit) Cunard spent a tidy sum and erected the awning, having listened to guest comments for a place sheltered from the sun. Originally only two of the six tables ( towards the port side) were reserved for smokers, however, as the years went by, ash trays were often placed on 'all tables' ( by the early morning deck crew) and the 'no smoking cards' slowly disappeared.

Disappointed to hear that they have not managed to rectify the problem of folk passing through the Verandah restaurant, especially during meal times :(

Thank you for your postings BlueRiband, keep the coming. :)

Really surprised to hear that the planetarium seats aren't fixed.

I must admit I cut through the Verandah before dinner service - not in swimming attire though. My first time on QM2 and running late for dinner after sailaway with elderly mother in tow and just could not find an easy way through.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

To answer a couple of questions posted earlier: Smoking is now restricted to deck 7 aft. The deck 8 aft tables have “no smoking” cards. Churchill’s has improved ventilation but at the moment only Romeo e Julietta and Churchill brands – no Cohibas. Commodore Club is active so it will be interesting to see if the new Carinthia Lounges has created additional business or take it from the Commodore Club and Chart Room.

I spoke too soon about bathers cutting through Verandah. In the morning there was a steady parade passing through. The problem seems to be that there is no alternative on the port side to go directly from inside 8 deck to outside. The port side door is marked “crew only”. One can only reach it from 7 deck and that’s just off the Princess Grill entrance. I’ll try to inquire what if anything they do about it when the restaurant is open.

There are workman on board still replacing and fixing things. Today I saw two wearing shirts reading “Outdoor Lighting” and a third wearing overalls with a Carnival UK logo. Another worker was fitting the grills around the top edge of the deck 6 pool. The Minnows splash pool next to the Kids Zone is still there. It’s untouched but had water and appeared to be ready for use.

The broken planetarium seats are still broken. How is it that a signature space isn’t repaired in now two refits? But my table mates did get a new TV.

Regarding the access to the Deck 8 pool.....it seems a poor design when there is no passageway through. My cabin is on Deck 8 for my next 2 QM2 cruises and looking at the deck plan, I thought Good....The pool is at the end of the corridor!

Not so it seems 😯

Sent from my SM-T230 using Tapatalk

Really surprised to hear that the planetarium seats aren't fixed.

I must admit I cut through the Verandah before dinner service - not in swimming attire though. My first time on QM2 and running late for dinner after sailaway with elderly mother in tow and just could not find an easy way through.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That's because there is no easy way though!

So much about the placement of that restaurant is poor--the walkway issue, the "view" at lunch of people sunning themselves. It would have been better to use that space as a casual lunch/breakfast place for people using the pool, much as Lido restaurants on other ships are on pool decks (or the Pavillion on QE2). It's too bad they couldn't relocate Verandah to the Winter Garden, but I guess galley space decrees that the restaurant must stay where it is.

That's because there is no easy way though!

So much about the placement of that restaurant is poor--the walkway issue, the "view" at lunch of people sunning themselves. It would have been better to use that space as a casual lunch/breakfast place for people using the pool, much as Lido restaurants on other ships are on pool decks (or the Pavillion on QE2). It's too bad they couldn't relocate Verandah to the Winter Garden, but I guess galley space decrees that the restaurant must stay where it is.

Couldn't agree more...

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

... So much about the placement of that restaurant is poor--the walkway issue, the "view" at lunch of people sunning themselves. It would have been better to use that space as a casual lunch/breakfast place for people using the pool, much as Lido restaurants on other ships are on pool decks (or the Pavillion on QE2). It's too bad they couldn't relocate Verandah to the Winter Garden, but I guess galley space decrees that the restaurant must stay where it is.
Well said 3rdGenCunarder,

I've thought the same since my second trip on QM2 (after seeing the Pavilion on QE2). However, as you point out, galley provision/space aft of the spa might be an issue (plus uptakes for the ovens/grills etc).

(I presume that the limited cooking that does on in the Carinthia can easily be provided for, unlike a full-scale resturant galley).

Can you imagine how popular a Deck 8 casual eatery would be on cruises, with "concertina" glass doors, tables and chairs under the awning, the bar, and the pool beyond?

Happy sailings.

Edited by pepperrn