Port Everglades testing new customs program to cut wait time for arriving cruise pass

Katiedid751

This article appeared in yesterday's SunSentinel, and it appears they have been testing the new program in the RCCI terminal 18 for a couple of weeks now. http://www.sun-sentinel.com/business/tourism/fl-pev-passport-control-tests-20160622-story.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is not the port programmes that need changing, it is the people. Same goes for the Florida airports, in particular Miami.

This article appeared in yesterday's SunSentinel, and it appears they have been testing the new program in the RCCI terminal 18 for a couple of weeks now. http://www.sun-sentinel.com/business/tourism/fl-pev-passport-control-tests-20160622-story.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hope this works so we can benefit for our Oasis cruise next Feb. Strange how its just being used for the declaration side and you still need to talk to a (usually less than friendly) official. Surely a passenger returning from a round trip cruise is pretty low risk?

Most stupid question asked of me by a US border guy.....(Whilst looking at my passport page showing an visa stamp for Egypt) " you've been to Egypt?"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hope this works so we can benefit for our Oasis cruise next Feb. Strange how its just being used for the declaration side and you still need to talk to a (usually less than friendly) official. Surely a passenger returning from a round trip cruise is pretty low risk?

Most stupid question asked of me by a US border guy.....(Whilst looking at my passport page showing an visa stamp for Egypt) " you've been to Egypt?"

Know what you are talking about. Dealing with two moronic dullards masquerading as 'security', and then they had the audacity to call the police, just because they were too thick to notice a simple thing, was the last straw.

The Police arrived with the preordained thought that the USA was being threatened. What wonderful people

Never flew to the USA again.

Edited by PORT ROYAL

Know what you are talking about. Dealing with two moronic dullards masquerading as 'security', and then they had the audacity to call the police, just because they were too thick to notice a simple thing, was the last straw.

The Police arrived with the preordained thought that the USA was being threatened. What wonderful people

Never flew to the USA again.

We had a bad experience on a port stop in New Orleans. We had collected a ticket onboard the previous day with a 9am disembarkation slot for customs clearance. It turned out to be about 10am when we could get off and we were ticket number 4. When we re-boarded the ship at 4.30 they were still making announcements for people to disembark with ticket number 32. Those guys had been stuck on board all day due to the ridiculously slow customs process. They lost the best part of a day in port. This was a UK cruise ship on a Caribbean cruise starting and ending in the Caribbean with an overnight stop in New Orleans. Would an illegal immigrant really pay thousands to fly out to the Caribbean, join a cruise that had a stop in the US just to try and sneak into the US on its one US port stop? The border guys have no understanding of risk awareness at all.

Edited by kevinyork

I can see how this may be perceived as a stupid question (look up Bill Engvall's "Here's Your Sign routines), but he's looking for your reaction to the question. If you were holding a stolen passport and weren't familiar with the stamps in it, the question might catch you off guard.

I should add that when I've entered England as a solo traveler, I have often been asked several times if I am by myself. Each time I answer "yes," and wonder how many times I'm supposed to say it.

It's not about the questions--it's about the screening.

Edited by hrhdhd

I can see how this may be perceived as a stupid question (look up Bill Engvall's "Here's Your Sign routines), but he's looking for your reaction to the question. If you were holding a stolen passport and weren't familiar with the stamps in it, the question might catch you off guard.

I should add that when I've entered England as a solo traveler, I have often been asked several times if I am by myself. Each time I answer "yes," and wonder how many times I'm supposed to say it.

It's not about the questions--it's about the screening.

This is exactly spot on! On one of our return cruises into Tampa, the CBP officer asked my husband "You headed home?" Husband's reply was "Yes." CBP officer said "where's home?"

I was like, duh, he's looking right at it on your passport. Hubby said that's how they try and trick you.

This is exactly spot on! On one of our return cruises into Tampa, the CBP officer asked my husband "You headed home?" Husband's reply was "Yes." CBP officer said "where's home?"

I was like, duh, he's looking right at it on your passport. Hubby said that's how they try and trick you.

If this is the extent of their skilful questioning then It's no wonder illegal immigration is bad. If someone seriously had a stolen or fake passport they would have rehearsed all their answers in full and probably be word perfect unlike a tired cruise passenger anxious to get their flight or connection.

• 3 weeks later...
If this is the extent of their skilful questioning then It's no wonder illegal immigration is bad. If someone seriously had a stolen or fake passport they would have rehearsed all their answers in full and probably be word perfect unlike a tired cruise passenger anxious to get their flight or connection.

You are giving criminals too much credit on the intellectual side...

I think that the mobile app will be awesome, but I've used the machines at MIA and there is nothing fast about the process. Port Everglades does have Global Entry lines which are great for those of us who pay for the privilege.

I live at a very busy US Canada border crossing, now its required to have a passport or other compliant identification. You have to listed very carefully HOW the question is asked by the CBP. Question can be asked where do you live, or where were you born, where were you, how long are you staying, as well as how much money do you have. A few years ago, I got a brand new car, and we opted for a drive in Canada. Crossing back into the US, as I was questioned, I was asked where I live, I told him, he asked me,.....then why was your car purchased in Rochester. Then I had to "pop" the trunk, which was spotless, because it was brand new, he commented on that as well. And when they say hello to you, you must respond back, they are listening to see if you speak English or have an accent depending on your home. Years ago, we didn't have a car, and often opted to take the Greyhound to Toronto. Once as we crossed the border, CBP boarded the bus looked at my DH's ID and asked him why he didn't have a drivers license! So now, he has a Non Drivers Enhanced ID. Coming back into Miami a few years ago, the CBP did not recognize the ID and questioned him further. Delicately I pulled out the print out of the status of the Enhanced ID and handed it to him. Only a few states that border Canada issue these, and I could see why they were unfamiliar with them.

How about a good CBP story?

About 3 years ago we're getting off Carnival Sensation and heading for a week at Disneyworld. Mom, Dad, DD and DS aged 17. Agent takes the passports and goes through the usual "where you been, where you going" stuff. His tone changes, looks directly at my son and asks "Why is April 30th important?" Son's eyes get big and he does the goldfish mouth thing. Agent stares him down for a few seconds and then says " It's your Mother's birthday. Thanks folks, have a good vacation."

• 3 weeks later...

I can remember crossing the border into Canada a few years ago and the border agents questioning my kids, asking them who we were traveling with. I understood why...they wanted to make sure we really were their parents and not taking them out of the country for some other reason.

I don't question what customs or border agents ask, or worry if I am selected for additional screening (I have been...have been asked to stand aside for a pat-down and had my carry-on opened and inspected). I have nothing to hide.

Just downloaded the App out of interest. Tried to create my profile. Then tells me its only available to US and Canadian citizens at the moment.

Ah well, I suppose that after our next flight into Atlanta we will still be in that long line of aliens :(