NZ ports where easy book tours at port

If you like mosaic art and gardens then for Akaroa I suggest you go to the Giant's House to wander around the garden. It's walkable from the wharf, a gentle uphill climb with a steep bit at the end. Amazing place, and great views from the garden.

Hi,

For the following ports, just wondering if there is any need to pre book, or will there be info and stalls set up for day trips. Weather might be an issue if pre paid.

# Tauranga

# Auckland

# Akaroa

# Dunedin

Thankyou.

I did a NZ cruise in February this year on Golden Princess. I didn't have anything pre-booked. All the ports had info stalls set up on the pier, right next to the ship.

Tauranga: joined a tour to Rotorua for NZ$140. Included stops at Kiwi 360 and a waterfall (forgot its name).

Auckland: our ship docked next to the ferry terminal, in the heart of the city. Many DIY options available here. Public ferry to surrounding islands, hop-on-hop-off bus, public buses, or just walk around the city.

Akaroa: joined a dolphin watching tour for NZ$75. Besides dolphins, we also saw some seals and native birds.

Dunedin: did the Taieri Gorge train on my own. Took the NZ$15 shuttle bus from the pier to Dunedin. The bus stops at the Octagon. From there, it's a short walk to the railway station. I bought the Taieri Gorge tickets from the counter at the station for approx NZ$90. Please note that doing this on my own without a tour required a bit of careful time planning. I was one of the first people off the ship in the morning when we docked, and took the first shuttle bus leaving from port. I made sure I was able to arrive at the railway station with plenty of time to spare before the train departed.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

For the following ports, just wondering if there is any need to pre book, or will there be info and stalls set up for day trips. Weather might be an issue if pre paid.

# Tauranga

# Auckland

# Akaroa

# Dunedin

Thankyou.

Hello Sallyandtex

There is so much to do in each port and you will find information tents at each port where you will find vendors selling their tours etc. We booked all ours before we left Australia. Very easy to do.

I did a review of our cruise here is the link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com.au/showthread.php?t=2322939

These are the excursions hubby and I are doing in ports:

Auckland: Muriwai Gannet Colony & Country Farm

Through Princess $164.95 each 11.15am to 5.15pm

"Travel to a family farm on the Kaipara Peninsula. Enjoy a BBQ lunch and watch a sheep dog and sheep-shearing demonstration. Visit Muriwai Beach for cliff-top views of its famous gannet colony - depending on the season you may see these seabirds mating or nesting."

Then hope to catch a bus/train/taxi to Mount Eden and take some pictures. We have been to Auckland before so wanted something different to do.

Tauranga: A One hour harbour cruise with Kewpie Cruises

Cost $20.00pp at 1pm http://www.kewpiecruises.co.nz/

"The Kewpie is an small old ferry that runs harbour cruises from the jetty by the start of the mount base track in Pilot bay. The harbour cruise involved a trip past Matakana wharf and the Tauranga wharf."

This is the cruise port I am finding hard to work out what to do. Since we have spent three days in Rotorua before, we didn’t want to go back. I would love to go to Hobbiton Movie Set but not to sure if Hubby would like it.

Thinking of exploring Mount Maunganui…climb the mountain…walk over to Moturiki Island if the tide is out.

Gisborne: Tatapouri Reef Walk & Stingray Feeding

Through Princess $69.95 each 10 to 1pm

"Board a comfortable motorcoach and travel north along the Pacific Coast highway to your coastal destination, Tatapouri Bay, enjoying views of Wainui Beach as you travel.

Dive Tatapouri is a family-owned operation, and you'll be greeted warmly by the staff upon your arrival. Once you've been outfitted in waders (high-wasted waterproof pants), head out with your knowledgeable guide to explore Tatapouri Bay's fascinating reef at low tide.

Wade comfortably into the water with your knowledgeable guide and learn more about the creatures you may encounter. Keep a keen eye out for short-tail stingrays, eagle rays, octopus, conger eels, yellowtail kingfish and more. You'll also learn the history of the Maori people, their ability to use and preserve their natural resources, and their local legends of Tangaroa, the god of the sea.

Your experience includes a wild stingray feeding, a high point for all. Stingrays, are graceful swimmers that appear to glide over the ocean floor. Their color is ideal camouflage, and their unusual anatomy, with their mouth on their belly, allows the species to feed efficiently on shrimp, crabs, small fish and worms. Stingrays have a very distinct tail with sharp, barb-covered spines which act as a defense against predators.

A few handfuls of food will bring the rays right up close to you. You'll be amazed at the gentleness and beauty of the rays. The experience is perfectly safe, and a naturalist guide will be with you at all times.

At the completion of the day, light refreshments are served, and the naturalist will stay to chat with you further about the environment and about the Maori people and their settlements along the coastline.

Relax on the drive back to port."

Then take a wall around Gisborne. Have downloaded historic walking tours of the town.

Wellington: Wellington Hop On Hop Off Guided Tours

http://www.hoponhopoff.co.nz/ $45.00 each

We hope to explore Te Papa, Mount Victoria, Weta Caves (Lord Of the Rings), Cable car and Old St Pauls church. I hope we have time to do all these things.

Akaroa: Hector Dolphin Cruise with Coast Up Close

http://www.coastupclose.co.nz/

We meet them at the main Wharf for our cruise of the harbour at 10.30am and return at 1pm

"Enjoy a 2.5 hour cruise that will take you around the rugged volcanic coastline of Akaroa Harbour and in to the Pacific Ocean."

Then we have a half hour to spare and we are off on a road trip.

This is the port we have two excursions booked.

Quick Fire – Akaroa & Eastern Bays with Tour South. Cost is $60p.p

http://www.toursouth.co.nz/

Departs 1:30 pm 3 hour duration. 11 Passenger Mercedes Luxury - shared tour.

"Historic Akaroa Township - a charming French inspired village. Crater Rim Views - stunning views from elevation of the harbour & surrounding areas. Picturesque Eastern Bays - secluded haven and rugged coastlines. Summit Road lookout - Panorama of the Akaroa Peninsula & "The long Harbour"Barry's Bay Cheese Factory - specialty cheeses made traditionally since 1895

On our return to the seaside village of Akaroa, we offer as an added bonus the choice of various drop off points which include .. The Giants House, the markets and shops at the northern end of town, the Historic lighthouse or the tender wharf itself."

Hope to have time for a quick look around the town and see the lighthouse.

Dunedin: Shore Excursion~Natures Wonders & Larnach Castle

Through Awesome Tours http://awesometours.co.nz/

They pick us up at the ship at 10.30

"A 6 hour return trip travelling the low road to Taiaroa Head, stopping for a look at Otakou Marae on the way, while at Natures Wonders you take a 1 hour guided tour experiencing an exhilarating ride in an 8-wheel drive, all terrain Argo vehicle. Here, amidst truly spectacular scenery, are the worlds rarest penguins, Hoiho the ‘Yellow-Eyed’, the little Blue Penguins, the NZ Fur Seals and Cormorants (Shags) all living in their natural environment. After your argo & wild life tour you can sit back and take in the view while enjoying a bit of lunch (own expense).

After lunch you have the unique opportunity to discover Larnach Castle. Spectacular tower views and beautiful gardens complete this enjoyable award winning experience. We return to the city via the high road for the most picturesque scenery towards the Pacific Ocean on one side, the Otago harbour on the other and Dunedin City straight ahead.

In addition to your wildlife tour we take a look at Baldwin St (steepest street in the world), Otago University, and Dunedin Railway Station before returning you to your cruise ship."

Hope this helps.

We did everything from the above list except for the harbour cruises as they were cancelled due to the Golden changing the direction of her course. So instead of the harbour cruise in Akaroa we did a motor bike ride which we picked up once we got to port and in Tauranga I was going to book a bus to Hobbiton but they were all booked out. So if there is something you really want to do, I would book it before you leave either with the cruise ship or through a private vender.

Edited by hopestotravelmore

Not used these myself as I am a local but I have heard good things about their tours. It should give you some ideas even if you don't book with them.

http://www.zealandiertours.com/

I can vouch for zealandier - we did the Hobbiton tour from Tauranga with them in April - excellent.

One word of advice in booking independent tours - consider pre-booking as it saves time upon arrival in port, and you can be off on your tour before others have even arranged them &/or are waiting for the bus to fill. The good companies will make sure you get a refund if the ship does not make it to the port for whatever reason.