Current Cruise Directors

Glenndale

I agree with you wholeheartedly Lynne.

Interestingly enough on the 2016 season of Below Deck Mediterranean, they are discussing this very issue in great detail.

Interesting to watch from the staff point of view

love that show ;)

To clarify, I did not say, nor did I wish to imply, that the CDs are not as friendly on O as on other lines. I said that they are less visible, because they do not appear (as far as I know) in the evening shows/performances. I'm not criticizing the crew/officers on O or praising the Azamara model. I'm just pointing out that there appear to be different job descriptions for CDs on different cruise lines.

Sorry I brought it up! :(

I was on Regatta in April/May and the cruise director was visible in ALL evening shows. He made the introductions and even sang a couple of songs. The cruise directors on Oceania do more than host Trivia as some posters suggested.

We usually don't remember who the CD was unless they were excellent or weak. If they are average and perform their duties as required ... no lasting memory.

As for the ship's officers we are glad when they do their jobs safely and on time. We don't think their friendleness is an important factor.

My experience has been that the CD introduces the evening shows and some of them, but not all, perform. They are also often seen around the ship and are there to say "Goodbye" when one disembarks.

I don't go onboard expecting to make friends with the officers who are, after all, working, while I, on the other hand, am on holiday. I've never found any of them to be unfriendly.

We're happy enough when they don't fall in love with the sound of their own voice on the ship's PA system, as some are prone to do. Yadda, yadda, yadda…..and that includes two of the ones mentioned in this thread. (Don't ask whom. What happens aboard ship stays aboard ship.)

Now, ship's bartenders, on the other hand, we like 'em real friendly….'specially when they're pourin' and talkin' and sort of forget to stop. :)

Yes my experience does differ

we do not play trivia but still manage to see the CD & other officers on the ship

I am always amused at the comments that the crew/officers are not friendly on O as on other lines

Always very friendly to us too.

We're happy enough when they don't fall in love with the sound of their own voice on the ship's PA system, as some are prone to do. Yadda, yadda, yadda…..and that includes two of the ones mentioned in this thread. (Don't ask whom. What happens aboard ship stays aboard ship.)

Now, ship's bartenders, on the other hand, we like 'em real friendly….'specially when they're pourin' and talkin' and sort of forget to stop. :)

Yes, one thing I've noticed on our last few Oceania cruises is that there are quite a few more announcements than in years past. Not really a trend I like. They're to the point they almost have more announcements than Celebrity, which doesn't have near as many as most other mass market lines.

I'm with the previous poster on limiting the number of announcements to a bare minimum as needed.

In NZ last year, every morning our CD would come on the PA and tell everyone NOT to attempt to take any fruit off the ship, it's strictly forbidden by the local laws. He typically made that announcement at least twice every morning after docking. So we get off a bit later than usual, since we were touring on our own, in Wellington, which was our fifth stop in NZ, and we see the harbor police dragging one of our cruisers off to the paddy wagon. Something had happened and Customs was set off, the idiot had packed a lunch and was caught hauling bananas off the ship! :eek: Do you think the idiot would have changed his actions if the CD had made the announcement 5 times each morning?? Sometimes fools will be fools and repeating announcements over and over gets old.