where should I buy euro? US airport or BCN or Bank?

snoopycr

Not at the Airport, the rates are horrible. As clarea said " ATM in Barcelona, preferably one attached to a bank." Now I do get some here as I found all ATM's out of service in Venice Airport. Well Fargo has currency exchange and provide the best rates here.

Since I need euro to pay for taxi. should I get euros at a bank in the USA before my flight?

Thanks for all your comments

I'd get a minimum of 100 Euros before you go, just in case you have ATM problems.

I know a lot of people say they use the ATMs in port or airport, but we always order Euros from BofA prior to our trip. I order enough to cover all our private tours that ask to be paid in cash euros the day of tour, and a little for port shopping etc.

I paperclip the euros needed for each port with the tour name and put them all in an envelope.

It makes it so easy. No wasting time looking for an ATM or worrying about someone watching you withdraw the money.

The last time I ordered from BofA there was no shipping charge if you ordered 1,000 or more. Otherwise it was like $8.00 shipping and you pick them up at bank.

Always get them at an ATM attached to any full service bank. This is also true at airports. Do not use the machines of currency exchange companies but use local or international banks machines. Have not been to BCN in a while but you should be able to bring up the arrivals area online and spot ATMs. For those who use U S banks the exchange you get is generally quite poor.

Make sure your card holder realizes you will be out of the country. Using an ATM in Europe is no different than in the US. Just remember to push the screen for English although many of then default there when they recognize your card

I know a lot of people say they use the ATMs in port or airport, but we always order Euros from BofA prior to our trip. I order enough to cover all our private tours that ask to be paid in cash euros the day of tour, and a little for port shopping etc.

Thanks for the tip! I bank with BofA, and just placed my order.

Thanks for the tip! I bank with BofA, and just placed my order.

Be interested to know what kind of exchange B of A gave you. Good timing tho as thanks to the Brexit the dollar is also up against the Euro to just over 0.9 at the moment

Since I need euro to pay for taxi. should I get euros at a bank in the USA before my flight?

Thanks for all your comments

Yes, get some money at the bank.

And don't sweat it.

Say you get 100 Euros. You will pay around $5.00 more by getting it at a USA bank rather than in county but have the convenience. So if you are there for three weeks touring you might want to start with more money here and then supplement it with ATM withdrawals. Remember to verity with your bank how much you can withdraw each day when overseas. Also, I would not rely on one ATM card. Have ATM cards in two banks.

Keith

So back to snoopycr's question...

I am flying into bcn. I have 0 euro in my pocket and need to take a taxi to my hotel. What is the most cost effective Way to obtain euros? I understand about using a bank atm, but is there a real bank atm in the airport?If so, where is it located?

So back to snoopycr's question...

I am flying into bcn. I have 0 euro in my pocket and need to take a taxi to my hotel. What is the most cost effective Way to obtain euros? I understand about using a bank atm, but is there a real bank atm in the airport?If so, where is it located?

A quick search of the BC N web site shows multiple ATM' associated with banks La Caixa and Santander in the terminal. Have used both banks in the past although not there BCN locations. Check out the website to see where there are in arrivals.

I just got some from AAA. Their rates were the best I have found. Ordered today, guaranteed by Friday.

Were you able to get some small denominations? If I get euros from a ATM at the airport I'm assuming they will be €20s. Need smaller bills for tips and bus.

Were you able to get some small denominations? If I get euros from a ATM at the airport I'm assuming they will be €20s. Need smaller bills for tips and bus.

I got about 1500 Euro total. It came in an assortment of 100, 50, 20, 10, and 5. No coins. I have enough 20, 10, and 5 to get to the hotel where I should be able to change some of the 100.

A quick search of the BC N web site shows multiple ATM' associated with banks La Caixa and Santander in the terminal. Have used both banks in the past although not there BCN locations. Check out the website to see where there are in arrivals.

Ok this is good. Since I am not familiar with any brand of Spanish bank, I know now that I can look for La Caixa or Santander and a reputable primary bank in which to use their atm services.

Ok this is good. Since I am not familiar with any brand of Spanish bank, I know now that I can look for La Caixa or Santander and a reputable primary bank in which to use their atm services.

Don't worry about finding a 'bank' atm, unless you bank has a special deal with them. I have never found an atm in mainland Europe that changes anything for dispensing cash (some atms in the UK do), and they will either dispense cash or not. If they don't, try another and it probably will.

As for the exchange rate, compare what your bank charges with the rate on XE and see if they add any loading.

I just got some from AAA. Their rates were the best I have found. Ordered today, guaranteed by Friday.

Just checked AAA vs Bank of America and BOA was a much better deal about 50 bucks cheaper for 1000 euros, my local bank was same as BOA

We always keep 100-200 € from our prior trips to start each new trip, and then get more at any ATM along the way. They are all over the place. But we read a tip somewhere that you should have your traveling partner stand behind you blocking view to the ATM when you're are inputting your PIN as savvy thieves have found a way to steal your information.

Just checked AAA vs Bank of America and BOA was a much better deal about 50 bucks cheaper for 1000 euros, my local bank was same as BOA

If you bank with BOA they are part of the Global Banking Alliance. This means that if you get money from ATMs that are part of the alliance you don't pay the foreign transaction fee. We've used this while in Italy and also Australia and New Zealand and never had difficulty locating the correct bank's ATM...they were the largest banks and were everywhere. BOA's website has the information and lists of the banks for each country that are part of the alliance.

~~Judy