Aurora...would I be disappointed?

Hi

We did our first ever cruise on Britannia to the Fjords back in April this year which we loved. When we returned we said how on earth could we top that as it was an experience of a lifetime for us. Next year the only ship doing the itinerary and dates we want is the Aurora which is where our problem lies.

On Britannia there were no queues in the buffet and tables were always available. The entertainment was excellent and there was always something to do while on board.

Forgetting the fact that Britannia was our first cruise and because of that would always be 'special' would Aurora feel small to us and because of the size be a little disappointing for our second cruise. Should we stick with Britannia and change our itinerary to suit or take a chance with a smaller ship.

I know there is no right or wrong answer to this but would love others opinions

Thanks for any help

Well, the largest ship to a medium size ship. We love aurora.

It is a little tired in places. Rust showing in places. The ship was built

In 2000.although been on both azura and ventura, because of the

Set up of the biggest ship would not go on it.wheelchair user,

And high demand for lifts midships. Aurora has everything that you

Would need. But not all singing and dancing.truely you would have to

Bite the bullet and try it. We could all answer specific questions about

The ship. Just ask.

Aurora is a lovely classical ship with a beautiful set of aft tiered decks. It has both a covered (when wet/cold) and open swimming pools, one of the best Crows Nests and a range of bars to suit all, not to mention a lovely little cinema.

There's not much to not like about Aurora.

Oh, by the way, we are on her at the end of August!

We have recently been on Aurora (Apr/May). It was the 5th P&O ship, Adonia, Azura, Oceana and Oriana were the others and honestly we thought it was the best ship so far. The previous comments are accurate and we agree with them. We never had any problem getting seats though the most popular entertainments do fill up quickly. It is now the first ship we consider for future cruises but we really have no concerns about booking on any of them.

Hope this help. Enjoy your cruise!

With us its between Arcadia and Aurora.

As has been mentioned you do have the lovely tiered aft decks, so she looks ship shape, not a floating block of flats. Also means ofcourse no aft cabins over the wake.

She is more of a traditional design inside, with "rooms" rather than open plan. Plus you have Andersons and the Crows Nest, which we both love.

As she is more "traditional" most people tend to comply with the dress code.

We love her and are doing a b2b later in the year.

What sort of cabin grade are you looking at? If a balcony there are only 3 decks of those , so they tend to be more expensive than lets say Britannia/Ventura/Azura.

Availability of tables , well I guess it depends when you wish to eat. Lunchtimes (we usually give up on lunch after about 2 days-too much food!!) if you don't go right in the middle of the busy period, we always got a table. They seem to have a lot more tables for 2 in the buffet now.

Aft MDR is 2 tiers, top one is freedom and bottom one set dining. There is another MDR midships. That is only one tier and I think set dining. I may be wrong, as we have never got that one.

Older yes, but graceful.

Aft MDR is 2 tiers, top one is freedom and bottom one set dining. There is another MDR midships. That is only one tier and I think set dining. I may be wrong, as we have never got that one.

Older yes, but graceful.

Aurora has only two main restaurants both on deck 6 with the galley (kitchen) between them. The rear one is club (set) dining.

Brian

Aurora has only two main restaurants both on deck 6 with the galley (kitchen) between them. The rear one is club (set) dining.

Brian

Am I thinking of Arcadia by the sound of it? I guess I am. So aft is set dining and midships is freedom.

I have only been on her about 5 times so far, you would think I would know my way around her by now!!!!!

Aurora was the first P&O ship we cruised on just 4 years ago and we loved her. Have since been on Azura and Britannia. I was happy enough with Azura but didn't fall in love with it the way I did Aurora, likewise had a lovely holiday on Britannia but thought the ship a bit soulless.

Despite her smaller size compared to Britannia I think Aurora feels very spacious. I'm sure our inside cabin was bigger than on Britannia. We sailed in the summer holidays so Aurora was full and we never had trouble finding seating in either the buffet, theatre or lounges. I also thought Aurora was actually more spacious in terms of outside areas and sunbathing options. As far as entertainment goes it is pretty much the same mix across all the P&O fleet - it is luck of the draw whether you find something to your taste. I believe we were unlucky in that we found little on Aurora which suited us as a family - I think it was just the mix on that particular cruise. Have since enjoyed much of the entertainment on Azura and Britannia.

Thanks everyone you have all been very helpful. I have decided our next holiday will be the Aurora to the Fjords. It's not until next year so no hurry to book but as always I can't wait and will be booking tomorrow:)

Thanks again

Which is the best place to go on her, with the crows nest bar at the front top.. Get a good seat and watch the scenery in all its splendour, whilst having your pre dinner drink.

Or stand on the aft decks and see the splendour behind you.

You will enjoy it.

Thanks everyone you have all been very helpful. I have decided our next holiday will be the Aurora to the Fjords. It's not until next year so no hurry to book but as always I can't wait and will be booking tomorrow:)

Thanks again

That was the cruise we did on her. I think she is better suited to the fjords because of her smaller size. Still remember Captain Turnbull's humorous comments about "pirouetting" as he turned her round in Olden. Also the covered pool is a bonus when you're not guaranteed sun.

We miss neil turnbull. His humour was priceless.

Has he gone for good then, silverservice?

I know after his illness he came back and captained Azura for a while and last I read was supposed to be going back as captain of Aurora. I'll check the Senior Officers aboard list. Oh, wait - yet more info that P&O has removed from public consumption!

Thanks again

I hope you have a great time. One other nice feature or Aurora is that it's possible to do a complete circuit of the ship on the promenade deck should you want to.

Mid-sized ships like Aurora have some advantages over big ones: she can dock at more ports rather than having to tender; ports aren't so swamped by the number of people coming ashore (admittedly when there are three or four other ships in port at the same time, as sometimes happens, that doesn't help much); she can get to some places that bigger ships couldn't (up some of the narrower fjords, perhaps, and I believe she can just about squeeze through the Panama Canal, which anything much bigger would't be able to).

Thanks again everyone. I have now booked, cabin and dining sorted and even extra OBC for booking with P&O again

I know I was told this cruising lark is addictive but I never realised how much

We chatted to 2 cruise staff last year on Britannia and they had asked to go to Aurora as they loved her ....... enough said. Have a great cruise :)

We booked on the Ocean Village 2 as a one off ---------- bad move ;);)

Groovechick, far as i am aware he is still on azura. There was some talk of returning to aurora, but it has been said captains stay on a ship for

Several years.

He was on Azura last June and according to the list Azura has him and Camby alternating.

Aurora is my favourite P and O ship: exactly the right size, never feels crowded, elegant, nice traditional feel rather than super glitzy, and some lovley bars especially the Crows Nest and Andersons. I even like the new Glass House though I miss the Cafe Bordeaux which it replaced.

He was on Azura last June and according to the list Azura has him and Camby alternating.

Thank you silver service and Sue. Good to know Cap-tane Turnbull is still around. And paired with Captain Camby, who seems to be getting some very good feedback and is rather easy on the eye! ;) Fingers crossed that when we next book a cruise Azura has an itinerary we like.