Warning - Never Ever trust Princess EZ Check in Seattle

Disclaimer: while I work for an airline, I am not an expert at baggage rules. And of course, I'm just expressing my opinion.

As I said above, to the best of my knowledge, the final (in this case only) air carrier is responsible for mishandled baggage. It really does not matter whether Princess made the mistake or AA made the mistake. Since AA ended up with the bag and was the final carrier per your ticket, they are responsible for handling your claim. No one is ever going to be able to figure out exactly what went wrong. Make your claim to AA.

I'm going out on a limb here but since EZ Check is only available for certain airlines, it is logical to assume that Princess has agreements with the participating airlines (particularly since in general, baggage must be checked by the passenger, not by a third party). Presumably, some airlines don't participate because they don't want the mishandled baggage liability. Those that do are willing to take on the mishandled baggage liability.

I could not agree more.

Mike:)

I put two bags out in the Crown Princess hallway at dinner time as instructed with EZ Check bag tags firmly attached last Friday. The EZ Check bag tag said BBBB and some Princess reference numbers with no apparent airline routing information on the tag. One bag made it home with an added AA bag tag on the handle. One bag vanished.

Princess says:

"I am very sorry you are having this experience, as it is undeniably a very frustrating. I have diligently been checking with all parties involved for the past 2 days to see what happened to your missing bag. I have spoken with the Seattle Ground Operators and the ship. I do have confirmation that both bags tags were printed and entered into the system initially, but only the one bag (belonging to your wife) was scanned at the terminal for check in to be transported to the airport. We are still researching the chain of events, and hopefully your bag will be recovered. We do have 10 business days from your day of disembark until we would officially state the bag is lost. Have you been in contact with American Airlines as well?

As stated in the Passage Contract, the maximum compensable amount for a loss of this nature is US $250.00 per bag. Thankfully you opted to add Princess Vacation Protection on your booking, which I believe the Platinum coverage limit is close to 3K.

I will keep you up to date with any new information I have received."

Used e z check today departing from Seattle. All went well; worth the $20 fee for me.

Is anyone surprised that AA places blame on cruise lines? Not me because airlines lose bags regularly & AA cannot even explain how the bag got to them in MIA. Without any tracking info available, the primary suspect is AA and not Princess.

These days there is another possible culprit in the picture.

When an airline receives your bag, it does not stay with them to get put on a flight.

Instead it is handed over to the TSA which must properly give it back to the airline.

Since airlines no longer have your luggage in their possession the entire time, they cannot properly track it.

These days there is another possible culprit in the picture.

When an airline receives your bag, it does not stay with them to get put on a flight.

Instead it is handed over to the TSA which must properly give it back to the airline.

Since airlines no longer have your luggage in their possession the entire time, they cannot properly track it.

Anything is possible but to me it's a big stretch to think that the TSA could be the culprit.

Edited by Astro Flyer

• 4 weeks later...

We were denied EZ Check by American Airlines yesterday for our 1:18 PM flight out of Seattle!!! Still trying to find out why, as I filled out the form the same day it arrived in our stateroom - Mon or Tues - and took it to Customer Relations.

We were denied EZ Check by American Airlines yesterday for our 1:18 PM flight out of Seattle!!! Still trying to find out why, as I filled out the form the same day it arrived in our stateroom - Mon or Tues - and took it to Customer Relations.

My inlaws were denied as they ran into the issue that the ticket they purchased was a senior fare on SW. Their EZ Check was denied because SW requires that they show an ID verifying there age eligible before check in. Not possible to rectify onboard.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

In 5 million miles of flying to 22 countries and several states I have never "LOST" a bag yet. They show up. Airlines have 3 days to deliver your luggage and if they have mail, (I worked for in Aviation) cargo or anything that pays better and fills the airplane, they take it first. Frozen foods are a good example. You wouldn't want people in NY Hoity Toitys to go hungry because you dirty underwear had to go first would you? Calm down and drink some more Mogen David and don't write on the forum when you are mad.

In 5 million miles of flying to 22 countries and several states I have never "LOST" a bag yet. They show up. Airlines have 3 days to deliver your luggage and if they have mail, (I worked for in Aviation) cargo or anything that pays better and fills the airplane, they take it first. Frozen foods are a good example. You wouldn't want people in NY Hoity Toitys to go hungry because you dirty underwear had to go first would you? Calm down and drink some more Mogen David and don't write on the forum when you are mad.

Well, if you're going to play the "I work for an airline" (although you didn't quite say that, you said "aviation" so I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean), well, so do I. Bags are supposed to arrive with the passenger, not within three days. Mishandled Baggage Reports (MBRs in our jargon), the paperwork a customer fills out when their bag didn't arrive, are taken very seriously. MBR rates are in performance goals. MBR rates are part of what gets reported to the DOT. I can assure we would really like to be #1 (meaning the lowest rate) in the DOT rankings.

When you're leaving on a cruise (or going to a wedding, a funeral, a job interview, etc.), three days is not good enough. And we know it. Do we do a perfect job? No, but that doesn't mean we're not trying.

First, let me say that I'm glad you got your luggage back.

There was a thread about a similar situation here on the Princess board awhile back. I tried to find it, but I wasn't able to locate it. In that case, if memory serves me, the problem happened when the second airlines tag was put on the suitcase. Apparently, they printed out tags for more than one suitcase and the tags were switched - wrong tags were on like 3 different bags. Someone was in a hurry and they put on the wrong tag on her bag. Human error. I'm not sure if this happens at the cruise terminal or at the airport. At any rate, the OP searched for the bag, posted about it on the airlines Facebook page (that got their attention), called everywhere. It was quite a lot of work. I can't remember where she lived, but they eventually found the bag in NYC (I think) with the incorrect tags. The suitcase was never picked up there and sat in storage until this whole fiasco unraveled. Like you, she did eventually get her bag back.

In this case, it's clear that AA got the back whether or not it was scanned at the port. Sounds, again, like human error with scanning and maybe again with an incorrect tag. Just guessing.

For me, I love EZ Check and will continue to take my chances with it. I've used it many times and love it. There's always a risk that a bag can get lost. I'll take my chances because I hate hauling luggage.

My inlaws were denied as they ran into the issue that the ticket they purchased was a senior fare on SW. Their EZ Check was denied because SW requires that they show an ID verifying there age eligible before check in. Not possible to rectify onboard.

The cruise line has all that info - passports, etc.. Not a good excuse. The airline had that info too, or they wouldn't have sold them the senior tickets.

Edited by Jessejo

The cruise line has all that info - passports, etc.. Not a good excuse. The airline had that info too, or they wouldn't have sold them the senior tickets.

Of course they do......

SW requires the ID to be shown upon check in regardless. Its a requirement to get the senior fare.

Please don't kill the messenger. :cool:

I never said it was right. :(

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Of course they do......

SW requires the ID to be shown upon check in regardless. Its a requirement to get the senior fare.

Please don't kill the messenger. :cool:

I promise not to harm the messenger - but, that's still a poor excuse!

No, Southwest did not have that info.

They sold the tickets with the provision that the passengers show ID to prove they were seniors.

Once it is in Southwest's computers (in your frequent flyer number profile) that you have proven you are a senior, then you do not have to do this on future Southwest flights.

This is like a hotel that books you with an AARP or AAA rate and they asks for proof you are a member when you check in (although it is rare that they do ask for that proof.)