Can't bring soda on board anymore

lixogab

Just to expand on this into terms people can more easily relate to.

Princess, Bottled water:

$2.45 / gallon

Norwegian, Bottled water:

$11.16 / gallon

Now, I don't know where you shop for gas, but...one of these things is not like the other.

ncl-water-price-sign.jpg

Hilarious!!

Spending more just to have water is hard to swallow.

How you spend your money is up to you' date=' I have better uses for my money.

I would like them to include it in the BP.

I'm not prepared to spend more on a package just to get water and I am sure other cruisers would agree.[/quote']

I don't think many currently purchase the plan. It is already more than most care to spend but if an included perk many, would probably take it for say $20 service fee per day vs the $15/day service fee they now pay. $20/day for canned soda, speciality coffee, water bottles and alcoholic beverages sounds much better than $15/day plus another $20/day or more for the non alcoholic beverages. And since they now give as a perk on insides, it seems the most reasonable solution to me.

Sure it would be nice if they didn't raise the cost and just included it like the other lines do but the other lines have their packages already priced at a point where people actually pay for it if not received as a perk. NCL's is too high for oop purchase for most so I highly doubt they'll just give more value to an overpriced perk. Raising what we pay for the perk by giving what all the other lines already include gives consumer a valid alternative and gives NCL more $ because a lot more people are going to choose it/pay the service fees now that they can't bring any liquids on. Sure the coke people will still be angry. I'm a Pepsi drinker but if Coke is all a place serves I live with Coke.

We too did the same thing in February and it was easy. The issue on NCL is that the price mark up on water is a bit insane! Bottles of water at a cost of roughly $5 are a bit too steep for me! We are booked on the Getaway with the beverage package but in comparison to other lines, it sucks! Most lines do offer the water and specialty coffees including fresh ground/fresh made which are the one palatable coffees on a cruise ship. I enjoy the ships that NCL has but will stick to Celebrity and Princess after this one.

snow bunny

Princess beverage package $49/day plus 15% gratuity ($56.35/day)

Includes ALL bottled water products sold aboard AND speciality coffee / tea

NCL beverage package $79/day plus 18% gratuity ($93.22/day)

EXCLUDES all bottled water products and speciality coffee / tea

Fo a 7 day cruise NCL beverage package would cost $258.09 per person more than Princess :eek: and is far less inclusive! And Princess' drink prices are SIGNIFICANTLY less than NCL's to begin with.......

I know that many will argue that Princess is more expensive than NCL but I have seen many a good fare with Princess this year that even factoring in NCL's "free" drinks promo makes Princess competitive, or slightly less than NCL even if you buy the Princess drinks package.

I got the UBP as a perk. But NCL is the only cruise line i know that charges the 18% gratuities on their Free perk. Really?

I just don't understand all the hoopla about the water! We spend thousands of dollars to secure a cabin of our choice, a couple of hundred (or more) on excursions, picture-buying, souvenir-buying, transportation to & from the port...and people are worried about the cost of water?

Maybe if that's the situation, then they really can't afford to take the vacation :confused:...kinda like I always got a laugh out of people creating new threads here: "What's the cost of a glass of wine? or a bottle of beer? or a cocktail?"...just never understood it :rolleyes:.

I wish I could even aspire to your position, sir! Tugs forelock and shuffles backward to his lowly hovel...

:rolleyes:

I don't think many currently purchase the plan. It is already more than most care to spend but if an included perk many,

Sure it would be nice if they didn't raise the cost and just included it like the other lines do but the other lines have their packages already priced at a point where people actually pay for it if not received as a perk. NCL's is too high for oop purchase for most ....

Other cruise lines give the beverage packages for free.

When cruise lines began offering packages, I haven't spend a dime.

Perk that always gets my attention.

Only on NCL Free Perk doesn't mean Free :cool: I was shocked when I had to pay for the gratuities. Even so, not a bad deal.

NCL should follow all the other cruise lines and charge less, include the gratuities, all the extras, water, juice, coffee, premium liquors, etc.

That would make cruisers happy cruisers. ;)

Princess, Bottled water:

$2.45 / gallon

$11.16 / gallon

Now, I don't know where you shop for gas, but...one of these things is not like the other.

ncl-water-price-sign.jpg

What a great visual representation. NCL charges for water almost 4 times what a gallon of gasoline costs. The nerve . . . :mad:

Just on principle, if I can find a substitute cruise out of MIA or FTL in November, I may just cancel my Getaway cruise for another cruise line altogether and tell the CS representative the reason. I already have air booked for a specific week so I can't cancel without a substitution. But then again, the more I think about it.......I wonder if the agents you cancel with even report the reasons for a cancellation? Probably not.
If you're looking for a Sunday 7 day, you have the Regal Princess, Allure of the Seas or Nieuw Amsterdam out of FLL. Saturdays for 7 days out of MIA include Celebrity Reflection, Carnival Glory and MSC Divina. So, you have 6 different cruise lines covered. Good luck.

Crazy rule, you can't bring any water but wine is ok. For real I don't drink alcohol I just want to bring my own water. I rarely sail with NCL but this decision will move us back.
The bottle water ban has to do with the fact that it took longer for people to pass through security during embarkation because all of the bottles had to be shook to make sure they had water in them and not some clear alcohol that was trying to be smuggled on. There are You Tube videos on how to reseal the bottles.

The bottle water ban has to do with the fact that it took longer for people to pass through security during embarkation because all of the bottles had to be shook to make sure they had water in them and not some clear alcohol that was trying to be smuggled on. There are You Tube videos on how to reseal the bottles.

:eek::eek:

Good grief - the measures people will take! Unbelievable!

Personally I am for NCL - they are a business not a charity - at the end of the day the profit made from the drinks revenue keeps cruising affordable.

I will - on cruiselines which allow it - ie Celebrity - board with two bottles of a decent champagne such as Bollinger bought from duty free at the airport - to drink in our cabin - but have never ever ever stooped to a low of bringing on waters, sodas and "smuggled" alcohol. I always have a drinks package on every cruiseline I cruise with - whether its a perk or purchased, always an essential.

I run a business which includes an outdoor dining facility in a beautiful setting, it wont be the first time and wont be the last that I chase folks away for bringing their own picnic! OR - one of them buys a drink - five of them sit down and out comes the water and sodas from their backpacks.. NOPE - not happening - I want that table for the five paying guests - I suspect NCL feel the same way.

I also suspect that with this, you will soon see specials run on the dailies on packs of water.

NCL prices are amazing - even for us in the UK who often pay higher prices although our perks include grats.

I have done 2 x NCL and 2 x Celebrity - all with flights, over the last eighteen months - NCL pricing is WOW! Value for money incredible!

Of course on Celebrity, water is included in the package - but hey - can assure you my Celebrity cruises cost a LOT more than those with NCL.

I just cannot fathom why on earth they would have allowed free carryon of waters and sodas in the first place - (unless perhaps there is a genuine medical reason which I understand, they are still allowing for.).

Good for you NCL - thanks for giving us choices - Affordable cruising with plenty free options - and other options available to add on for those of us who wish to do so.

I will add (for those who are jumping ship) that - although I love Celebrity, I missed NCL's live music bars - and missed the fantastic SPAs - (Epic's SPA V Celebrity Persian Gardens - EPIC wins leagues and leagues above!).

There are pluses and minuses in everything - you just have to weigh up your options and choose what is right for you.

You might jump ship - but the water is not always blue'er (or cheaper!) - there is always a price to pay!

There always will be those who try to buck the system and smuggle items into any venue, particularly if they see themselves being ripped off by the service provider. It's a fact of life.

I don't know how long this reaction by NCL has been in the pipeline, but I can understand it. What irks me, and doubtless others, is the perceived profiteering from the result and lack of any balancing measures. Passengers are seeing themselves as cash cows to be squeezed relentlessly. It may even be that those who try to smuggle items aboard will seek other ways to gain what they see as recompense.

Yes, I fully recognise that there is a significant proportion of NCL's customer base for whom this has little or no effect and, yes, I wish I were in that category. I'm not, so I am firmly in the camp that is voicing its displeasure.

Oh, and a two week advance warning? Hardly fair.

Personally I am for NCL - they are a business not a charity - at the end of the day the profit made from the drinks revenue keeps cruising affordable.

I will - on cruiselines which allow it - ie Celebrity - board with two bottles of a decent champagne such as Bollinger bought from duty free at the airport - to drink in our cabin - but have never ever ever stooped to a low of bringing on waters, sodas and "smuggled" alcohol. I always have a drinks package on every cruiseline I cruise with - whether its a perk or purchased, always an essential.

I run a business which includes an outdoor dining facility in a beautiful setting, it wont be the first time and wont be the last that I chase folks away for bringing their own picnic! OR - one of them buys a drink - five of them sit down and out comes the water and sodas from their backpacks.. NOPE - not happening - I want that table for the five paying guests - I suspect NCL feel the same way.

I also suspect that with this, you will soon see specials run on the dailies on packs of water.

NCL prices are amazing - even for us in the UK who often pay higher prices although our perks include grats.

I have done 2 x NCL and 2 x Celebrity - all with flights, over the last eighteen months - NCL pricing is WOW! Value for money incredible!

Of course on Celebrity, water is included in the package - but hey - can assure you my Celebrity cruises cost a LOT more than those with NCL.

I just cannot fathom why on earth they would have allowed free carryon of waters and sodas in the first place - (unless perhaps there is a genuine medical reason which I understand, they are still allowing for.).

Good for you NCL - thanks for giving us choices - Affordable cruising with plenty free options - and other options available to add on for those of us who wish to do so.

I will add (for those who are jumping ship) that - although I love Celebrity, I missed NCL's live music bars - and missed the fantastic SPAs - (Epic's SPA V Celebrity Persian Gardens - EPIC wins leagues and leagues above!).

There are pluses and minuses in everything - you just have to weigh up your options and choose what is right for you.

You might jump ship - but the water is not always blue'er (or cheaper!) - there is always a price to pay!

so true. I only had a bottle of water or Soda with me if I had not finished it after being ashore.

Soon I guess all the other cruise line will follow with that rule. But no one want's to be the first.

Princess, Bottled water:

$2.45 / gallon

$11.16 / gallon

ncl-water-price-sign.jpg

Love it!

That's all well and good, but if you have signed up for a cruise based on a set of criteria that include bringing aboard your own choice of soda and/or water and then suddenly they change the rules as they have, it's not going to make you pre-disposed to goodwill is it?

For many it is too late to seek those bluer waters and we are forced to cut our cloth accordingly.

Just want to add my two cents ....

in germany the all inclusive initiative which they use to sell their fares here includes two 1 liter bottles of water per person per day. Maybe this is a way they plan to go in the US as well..

Generally speaking a 1.5 liter bottle of water is sold here in germany or italy at 0,17 EUR = 0,19USD in retail ( Aldi / Lidl ) even with the low price Carnival is charging for their bottles they are making 1000 pct on them at 4.50 a bottle it is 3000 pct. Pure Greed ..

Beer is almost the same, the cruise lines buy it for less than 50ct per bottle and charge you 5-7 USD .

Same with their port excursion rates, they upcharge 400 to 500 pct on regular prices.

I am platinum on NCL and never purchased an port excursion with them.

Other cruise lines did recognize a smaller but constant flow of profits makes the company and customers happy and makes a great return rate in the future.

Maybe this is a style some of the big players in the advisory business pushes on companies right now ..Disney makes the same mistake with their theme parks right now, resulting in an empty park on the 4th of july weekend this year..

let your money talk and by the way the tap water on all NCL ships is perfectly drinkable and with some crystal lights makes a great refreshing lemonade

Well I would hope it applies to the crew

Btw didn't Ncl say it was a security issue as to why they weren't allowing water any longer?

I'm surprised you would think a security issue would only apply to pax and not crew

Also ....what difference does it make?

Really?

"Security issue" can mean so many different things. To the cruise line the security issue is having to have security check all bottles to make sure they haven't been filled with booze, thereby slowing the lines down. Maybe booze smuggling is still a concern for NCL (I would think it would have dropped precipitously with UBP being offered as a perk on most sailings) but if that is the case they should have said so.

With the UBP being offered gratis to most is the rate of smuggling anywhere near what it used to be?

I haven't heard from the execs who I reached out to, but I sent emails to them on Monday and perhaps they are still working through a backlog.

But I did want to share the response from my PCC. She certainly says that it's not just a few whiners in CC who have an issue. I thought the last sentence is very telling, in particular. If you are inclined to send a letter or email, send a copy to your PCC. Companies do listen to their sales people:

Thank you for your email. The new change has been upsetting for many guests. I will definitely forward your email to upper management. I have had several guests affected and I am sorry it is affecting your cruise as well. I hope the powers in charge listen to all the feedback guests are providing regarding this change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With the UBP being offered gratis to most is the rate of smuggling anywhere near what it used to be?

Well not really gratis is it?

I would have loved the free ubp but to pay close to $200 in tips was out of the question for us

We wouldn't drink that much in mixed drinks ordinarily on a cruise

However with a truly free ubp we would have had perhaps 2 drinks a day

I know how expensive drinks are and that it would add up but those 2 drinks per day would still be a lot for us to drink

As it stands now we took the wifi

Our drink bar bill will be well under $200 anyway but we will have a bottled wine bar bill which we would have had even with the ubp

Edited by luvtheships

Well not really gratis is it?

I would have loved the free ubp but to pay close to $200 in tips was out of the question for us

We wouldn't drink that much in mixed drinks ordinarily on a cruise

However with a truly free ubp we would have had perhaps 2 drinks a day

I know how expensive drinks are and that it would add up but those 2 drinks per day would still be a lot for us to drink

As it stands now we took the wifi

Our drink bar bill will be well under $200 anyway but we will have a bottled wine bar bill which we would have had even with the ubp

Not really the point, with the UBP perk is smuggling still that much of a concern for NCL? (I would imagine that they average smuggler drinks more than 2 drinks a day;).)

Not really the point, with the UBP perk is smuggling still that much of a concern for NCL? (I would imagine that they average smuggler drinks more than 2 drinks a day;).)

No I guess it's not that much of a concern anymore and the 18% is nicely guaranteed to Ncl

A poster mentioned the corkage fee...now that's brilliant on Ncl part....

They charge you $15 for the privilege of bringing onboard a bottle of wine you already bought yourself

You keep it in your cabin and you can even open it yourself.

All your waiter must do is what? Make sure the wine glass is on your table? Lol

Bring over a wine stand?

Ncl has just made $15 for doing absolutely nothing

A poster suggested that there will now be a water bottle corkage fee

So Ncl can charge you to bring your own water on and do absolutely nothing but will make money.

Amazing how Ncl can find revenue streams out of thin air

They are actually so good at this that their company should be doing much better than they already are doing. Lol.

so true. I only had a bottle of water or Soda with me if I had not finished it after being ashore.

Soon I guess all the other cruise line will follow with that rule. But no one want's to be the first.

Carnival was the first to do this and IMHO did it much better job of implementing it. No one likes change, but if you give ample notice and provide some viable options, people will accept it.

I never carry on water or soda and have always just drank whatever was available on board. However on my last Carnival cruise I pre ordered a 12 pk of water since it was such a reasonable price. I wonder how much more water NCL could sell to people like me by lowering the cost? I can't imagine that they are selling too much of it now at those super inflated prices.

I am like many of the other posters here and am looking at other lines for future cruises. The price increases, the changes, and the callous way those changes are implemented are putting me off of NCL. I have loved my cruises on NCL but until management gets its act together, I think it's time to go elsewhere.

No I guess it's not that much of a concern anymore and the 18% is nicely guaranteed to Ncl

A poster mentioned the corkage fee...now that's brilliant on Ncl part....

They charge you $15 for the privilege of bringing onboard a bottle of wine you already bought yourself

You keep it in your cabin and you can even open it yourself.

All your waiter must do is what? Make sure the wine glass is on your table? Lol

Bring over a wine stand?

Ncl has just made $15 for doing absolutely nothing

A poster suggested that there will now be a water bottle corkage fee

So Ncl can charge you to bring your own water on and do absolutely nothing but will make money.

Amazing how Ncl can find revenue streams out of thin air

They are actually so good at this that their company should be doing much better than they already are doing. Lol.

The point still remaining that using "security" as the reason for the change is a bunch of hooey. The corkage fee has been around a long time and is nothing new. I believe that I was one of the people that said maybe they'll institute a fee for bringing soda on but that was kind of tongue in cheek (although it really wouldn't surprise me if they did come up with something like that).

Carnival was the first to do this and IMHO did it much better job of implementing it. No one likes change, but if you give ample notice and provide some viable options, people will accept it.

I never carry on water or soda and have always just drank whatever was available on board. However on my last Carnival cruise I pre ordered a 12 pk of water since it was such a reasonable price. I wonder how much more water NCL could sell to people like me by lowering the cost? I can't imagine that they are selling too much of it now at those super inflated prices.

I am like many of the other posters here and am looking at other lines for future cruises. The price increases, the changes, and the callous way those changes are implemented are putting me off of NCL. I have loved my cruises on NCL but until management gets its act together, I think it's time to go elsewhere.

I think NCL is in the process of trying to attract cruisers that don't care about the extra expenses.

Megaelch

"Beer is almost the same, cruiselines buy it for less than 50ct per bottle and charge you 5-7 USD."

The cost of a 16oz. Aluminum bottle is approx .93 Cruiselines "might" get it a little cheaper but certainly not .50.

And yes they do make a huge profit, but pax are a captive audience. And it's no secret that the cruiselines make their profit off alcohol, casino, pictures,and any other extra's purchased.