Can't bring soda on board anymore

lixogab

I have to be extremely careful of my intake being I have lymphedema.

Salt loves water and will make ankles swell up, so will sugar.

Sugar will be in the iced tea, lemonade, mostly every drink you have.

All foods contain sodium, lots of it... Salt makes you thirsty so what do you do? Drink water! Not sure if the water on cruise ships contain sodium.

Now, if they have a water softener attached to their water system, then that's also where drinking water could cause edema in the ankles.

Clearly I was referring to the much older crowd. I'm sure it was worse because of the Alaska itinerary. They did say they would stick with Royal from now on though.

While HALs demographics tend to be older in general, the demographics on their Alaska cruises is probably a young as it gets on HAL.

You have more of a mix of families on the Alaska cruises, since they occur when school is out and are relatively short. More children and grandchildren with grandparents then on their longer cruises elsewhere.

Salt loves water and will make ankles swell up' date=' so will sugar.

All foods contain sodium, lots of it... Salt makes you thirsty so what do you do? Drink water! Not sure if the water on cruise ships contain sodium.

Now, if they have a water softener attached to their water system, then that's also where drinking water could cause edema in the ankles.[/quote']

It doesn't. There is a topic over in the Princess area, where an individual that has spent a substantial time working on cruise ships and other ships has described the process involved and exactly how the water is produced, treated, stored and distributed.

I'm definitely educated on ship water and and tap water in general. It's mostly just people being paranoid. If you prefer bottled water that's fine, but the tap water is perfectly safe.

Where did anyone say anything about fresh squeezed juice??

I'm not being flippant at all, and you obviously have the right to choose. Don't blame NCL though for you being so picky.

I'm absolutely blaming NCL for taking away my CHOICE!

I choose not to drink tap water with chlorine (look up the health hazards)

I choose not to drink juice that has been reconstituted and is full of chemicals

And as a Gator who bleeds orange and blue, I forgive you for supporting Georgia. Chomp, chomp! :)

Like countless others my wife and I have been cruising NCL for years and take a few per year. This latest policy comes on the back of a poor customer service experience we had when booking a cruise. We've already canceled one of our two scheduled cruises and may cancel the other due to this new water policy. We drink almost exclusively water when onboard. Getting water is always hard as they don't serve you enough at the restaurants and give you tiny cups at the buffet. Not buying their $6 bottles of water, that's nuts. If we go forward with our scheduled cruise it will likely be our last. This is just a bridge to far NCL. Clearly their trying to maximize shareholder return but these latest customer unfriendly policies are just perplexing. What happened to the NCL we loved so much just a couple of years ago? :confused:

I received a call from NCL today on my cell phone that I only use for emergencies. She said she was calling in response to my email I had sent and said this is the policy and that's that. I voiced my concerns again and she said she would pass them on but this is the new policy. :mad: She was very snarky.

I think I'll pack 3 16.9 oz bottles of caffeine free diet coke in double plastic bags in each of my 3 checked bags. When we flew to San Juan I did this and never had a problem with the airline.

My profile has my preferred contact phone number to be my home phone. My cell number is only listed on my partially filled out check in form. I'll be making a complaint about this.

You have to wonder why they even bother to call if all they are going to do is read from "the script" :confused: . On the other hand I haven't gotten any responses yet so is it better to get nada or to get a not worth the effort answer ? Edited by richstowe

You have to wonder why they even bother to call if all they are going to do is read from "the script" :confused: . On the other hand I haven't gotten any responses yet so is it better to get nada or to get a not worth the effort answer ?

They started with the "script" on Friday but I don't think the script was fully written yet. :eek: :D

Maybe they feel that, if people get calls that they will feel that their opinions matter; however, even though they are valued customers (enough to get a call), nothing is changing with the policy? :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, the people who are making these calls have zero to do with the policy-making decision process and are just cannon fodder. sigh

Salt loves water and will make ankles swell up' date=' so will sugar.

Now, if they have a water softener attached to their water system, then that's also where drinking water could cause edema in the ankles.[/quote']

The Ice Tea is plain, you have to add your own sweetener if you want sweet tea. Thank goodness cause plain Ice Tea is all I drink outside booze! LOL Oh and my a.m. coffee.

The Inquisitr piggy backed the USA Today article. Go to the link and add your comments at the bottom of the article. Have your voice heard!

http://www.inquisitr.com/3284044/norwegian-cruise-line-upsets-fans-with-new-beverage-policy/

Thanks - I posted. This Inquisitr article is the first of all the articles I've read that actually touched on all valid points of this new NCL rule especially the ridiculous prices they want for bottled water on ship. More than just a little crazy IMHO!

wow, thank goodness for this forum, as I didn't receive any email for an upcoming December Panama Canal cruise. Would have been my third cruise with NCL in the last 2 years...Med, Alaska and upcoming Panama.

On vacation, I understand having to pay exorbitant prices for some things....but clean water? Not happening. Byeeeeee, NCL.

I just got a call from NCL about the changes to the rules regarding bringing water/soda/juices on board. (Called me based on email sent to amoris@ncl.com) She reiterated the new rule and also said that she was in agreement regarding the astronomical price to buy a case of water.

She said that they are following up with all emails/phone calls. They are sending the complaints/concerns with the new rule to upper management. She also said that they have had situations where NCL changes/adjusts rules based on what the consumer says.

I am still hopeful that NCL will drop the price to purchase bottled water.

wow, thank goodness for this forum, as I didn't receive any email for an upcoming December Panama Canal cruise. Would have been my third cruise with NCL in the last 2 years...Med, Alaska and upcoming Panama.

On vacation, I understand having to pay exorbitant prices for some things....but clean water? Not happening. Byeeeeee, NCL.

Come join us on HAL! I hadn't booked the NCL cruise yet.

Hopefully, "whoever" at NCL will rethink this policy.

We were going to give NCL a try, as a break from our fav's Celebrity/Royal Caribbean, but I think not,

If Celebrity does this I guess we'll try another line...

NOT GOOD NCL..

IF NCL lowers the price of a case of water to something reasonable, and IF a person is not too particular about the type of water they drink in bottles, the ability to buy water on board may be helpful to someone who is flying in and does not have the means to go to the grocery store in Miami or wherever they embark. This could be more convenient.

I brought a case of bottled water on board (worried about tummy problems in Mexico), because I did not want to pay $67.00 for 24 bottles of water that we bought on sale for $4.00!!! Ridiculous! I don't care how much money the average person has, you still do not want to be ripped off! Lower your prices of water NCL if you are going to go through with this policy!!!!

I am in agreement with everyone that the price NCL charges onboard for a case of bottled water is ridiculous. But I'm not understanding the mentality that people (most of whom don't have any apparent medical issues) think they will simply DIE if they don't have their bottled water.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the water onboard. Why do people keep suggesting it is "not clean"? I get that people might "prefer" bottled water, but the pearl clutching over the fact that the ship's water isn't clean is ridiculous.

For people that refuse to drink the ship's water, what do you do at the restaurants and bars? Are you bringing your own bottled water to the dining table? For your alcoholic drinks, are you forgoing the ice? Because that ice is made from ship water. Do you skip the soups? Because those are made with ship water. In fact, almost ALL of the food onboard has ship water in it. Water is used to wash vegetables. It's used to make sauces for stir fries. Etc etc etc

The ship's water is filtered by reverse osmosis and is almost certainly better than the water you get in a restaurant on land. When you go to restaurants on land, do you bring your bottled water or do you drink their water? Because I think most restaurant water simply comes out of a kitchen sink tap.

Edited by blackwing

I am in agreement with everyone that the price NCL charges onboard for a case of bottled water is ridiculous. But I'm not understanding the mentality that people (most of whom don't have any apparent medical issues) think they will simply DIE if they don't have their bottled water.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the water onboard. Why do people keep suggesting it is "not clean"? I get that people might "prefer" bottled water, but the pearl clutching over the fact that the ship's water isn't clean is ridiculous.

For people that refuse to drink the ship's water, what do you do at the restaurants and bars? Are you bringing your own bottled water to the dining table? For your alcoholic drinks, are you forgoing the ice? Because that ice is made from ship water. Do you skip the soups? Because those are made with ship water. In fact, almost ALL of the food onboard has ship water in it. Water is used to wash vegetables. It's used to make sauces for stir fries. Etc etc etc

I know for instance my mother likes to have a bottle of water to take her meds with in the morning. She would rather do this in her cabin, rather than taking all her meds up to the buffet. Or getting fully ready, leaving the cabin, getting water and then returning back to the room. Generally we don't bring on water, but when we chose to buy the pack from Carnival once they lowered the price it was quite convenient. Also the ability to carry off a bottle when doing excursions, etc. We drink water with our dinners, but I don't drink the water straight out of the bathroom sink. I also don't drink out of my own bathroom sink at home, other than rinsing my mouth after brushing my teeth.

I know for instance my mother likes to have a bottle of water to take her meds with in the morning. She would rather do this in her cabin, rather than taking all her meds up to the buffet. Or getting fully ready, leaving the cabin, getting water and then returning back to the room. Generally we don't bring on water, but when we chose to buy the pack from Carnival once they lowered the price it was quite convenient. Also the ability to carry off a bottle when doing excursions, etc. We drink water with our dinners, but I don't drink the water straight out of the bathroom sink. I also don't drink out of my own bathroom sink at home, other than rinsing my mouth after brushing my teeth.

The water out of the bathroom sink is the same water as everywhere else!