Munich to Budapest - Night train or day train on day of Embarkment?

Scarlette

We are spending three days/nights in Munich before the river cruise on AMA. My initial plan was to take the day train to Budapest on the day of embarking. The train arrives at 14:19 and the cruise company says to be in BUD before 15:00. Is this too tight?

Then I thought maybe the night train might be better, arriving in BUD at 9:24. When do people begin arriving at the port? Is there any benefit being one of the first passengers on vs. one of the last?

Thinking about maybe about hiring a half day tour then being dropped off at the river boat??

Are the trains clean and comfortable enough to get a decent amount of sleep?

Thank you, I would love to learn from others experiences.

Edited by Scarlette

Thanks Caviargal for your reply.

We are traveling with our 19 and 17 year old children and thought the train would be a nice adventure for them.

I looked into the flights and there is one that leaves early in the a.m. and gets in at 10:00. Does AMA let you on the river boat that early or is it more "after 3:00"?

Thanks Caviargal for your reply.

We are traveling with our 19 and 17 year old children and thought the train would be a nice adventure for them.

I looked into the flights and there is one that leaves early in the a.m. and gets in at 10:00. Does AMA let you on the river boat that early or is it more "after 3:00"?

You can absolutely head to the boat and drop your bags with no issue at all. We often arrive very early from the states and head to boat and drop luggage then are off to explore until rooms are ready at 3pm. AMA's typical docking location in Budapest is very central and easy to explore the city center.

Edited by caviargal

Since there are four of you, getting a 4-berth sleeper compartment (or even a 4-berth couchette compartment) on the night train with no changes would be a great adventure for all of you. Sitting up all night in coach---not so much. Look at DB Bahn for details and prices (do not look at RailEurope---much more expensive for the same trip).

Since there are four of you, getting a 4-berth sleeper compartment (or even a 4-berth couchette compartment) on the night train with no changes would be a great adventure for all of you. Sitting up all night in coach---not so much. Look at DB Bahn for details and prices (do not look at RailEurope---much more expensive for the same trip).

Yes, that was our plan to book the 4 berth couchette compartment.

My husband was worried we won't be comfortable enough to sleep. He is doesn't want to be wiped out and be too tired to enjoy the first day or two of our river cruise.

I, of course, am thinking, "Well, we can save the cost of a hotel night". Traveling with a family of 4 is starting to really add up!

My husband was worried we won't be comfortable enough to sleep. He is doesn't want to be wiped out and be too tired to enjoy the first day or two of our river cruise.

IMO, a very valid concern. The cost of one day for 4 on a river cruise is not insignificant. I would choose to be well rested and enjoy it.

Edited by caviargal

Hello Scarlette,

I had a quick look at the DB website (German version). It appears that there is a EuroNight train from Munich main station to Budapest, leaving at 23.31 and arriving at 9.24. It odes not mention compartments for four but rather 2 and 2 when I put in four people travelling together. Looks to cost around 400 euros. Reclining chairs for four are cheaper. Both your children count as adults by the way. You might get a better deal booking 90 days in advance (I had put in a random date close to now).

Here is the site: https://www.bahn.de/i/view/USA/en/index.shtml

I like the idea of train travel, but as for countryside, you will actually see less than on the plane in the morning, as most of your journey will of course be in the dark, especially if your journey is in November or December.

It seems that the EuroNight trains are operated by the Austrian railway, I could not find an English page, but the German one looks and sound comfortable: http://www.oebb.at/de/leistungen-und-services/im-zug/euronight-reisekategorien It says that the sleeping compartments have a basin for washing, towels and toiletries. The Deluxe compartments have a bathroom with basin, shower and toilet. Fresh bedding is included in the price. You can buy drinks and snacks from the attendants, there is no restaurant on the train.

I think the train that arrives at 14.19 is a bit close to 15.00, you could be pushing your luck. It is a long distance. And you need to get up early, don't you? I would not like that. I would go for the plane, if you do not like the overnight train. What about splitting the journey? Leave Munich in the afternoon, fit a hotel stay in somewhere else along the way and leave from there for Budapest. Just a thought...

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
additional information

We have done the train trip from Munich to Budapest a couple of times. It is a great ride. The trains were usually fairly full until you get to Vienna then they empty out significantly. If you are taking the day trip, recommend you reserve seats when you buy the tickets.

I believe your cruise overnights the first night in Budapest so the day train trip would be an option. Recommend you call AMA and see if you can check in after 1500. I don't think it will be a problem.

Edited by fred111

I scheduled the night train from Munich to Budapest last December and was really excited about the new experience. I went to check the schedule again the night before our journey and it had been cancelled due to the immigration situation at the time. So I spent the night researching alternative arrangements and ended up flying the next day instead. I'm sure this was an unusual situation but I would recommend having a back up plan just in case. Luthstansa(sp?) runs flights on the hour from Munich to Budapest and with your husbands concern and my personal experience I would really consider this option. You may find it no more expensive then the night train and you will certainly be more rested. No matter what you decide I'm sure you will have a wonderful experience. Good Luck

We have done the train trip from Munich to Budapest a couple of times. It is a great ride. The trains were usually fairly full until you get to Vienna then they empty out significantly. If you are taking the day trip, recommend you reserve seats when you buy the tickets.

I believe your cruise overnights the first night in Budapest so the day train trip would be an option. Recommend you call AMA and see if you can check in after 1500. I don't think it will be a problem.

I have the papers for the cruise. No problem coming late, but the ship leaves the pier from 9-10 pm for an illuminations cruise. But it returns at 10 pm

We are spending three days/nights in Munich before the river cruise on AMA. My initial plan was to take the day train to Budapest on the day of embarking. The train arrives at 14:19 and the cruise company says to be in BUD before 15:00. Is this too tight?

Then I thought maybe the night train might be better, arriving in BUD at 9:24. When do people begin arriving at the port? Is there any benefit being one of the first passengers on vs. one of the last?

Thinking about maybe about hiring a half day tour then being dropped off at the river boat??

Are the trains clean and comfortable enough to get a decent amount of sleep?

Thank you, I would love to learn from others experiences.

One reason to not arrive the day of is the potential for transit strikes. It leaves you no option. Arrive the day before so if there is a strike you can arrange alternate transit or potentially travel later that day or the next morning if it is a short strike.

Yes, that was our plan to book the 4 berth couchette compartment.

Well, That's going to have to be your decision. I've traveled all over Europe in couchette compartments (including 48 hours in a 6-berth one from Germany to Athens many years ago with 5 perfect strangers of both sexes, none of whom spoke English) and never had any trouble sleeping, but I don't have any trouble sleeping on trains as long as I can lie down. With no one in the compartment but your family, I would think it would be quite pleasant.

Edited by Langoustine

I scheduled the night train from Munich to Budapest last December and was really excited about the new experience. I went to check the schedule again the night before our journey and it had been cancelled due to the immigration situation at the time. So I spent the night researching alternative arrangements and ended up flying the next day instead. I'm sure this was an unusual situation but I would recommend having a back up plan just in case. Luthstansa(sp?) runs flights on the hour from Munich to Budapest and with your husbands concern and my personal experience I would really consider this option. You may find it no more expensive then the night train and you will certainly be more rested. No matter what you decide I'm sure you will have a wonderful experience. Good Luck

After reading about your experience several months ago, we decided that flying was the safer option, as much as we thought the experience of the night train might be fun. We used United miles and got tickets to fly on Lufthansa.

Yeah it was really a stressful night. After the fact it was a blessing in disguise as I think we were much more rested then we would have been. It made our last day in Munich more relaxed. With the abundance of flights we were able to time it where we didn't leave the motel till about 10 am and were at the ship in Budapest by about 1:30 and were able to get lunch on the ship before heading out. The timing was great.

Yeah it was really a stressful night. After the fact it was a blessing in disguise as I think we were much more rested then we would have been. It made our last day in Munich more relaxed. With the abundance of flights we were able to time it where we didn't leave the motel till about 10 am and were at the ship in Budapest by about 1:30 and were able to get lunch on the ship before heading out. The timing was great.

Yeah, we're all about keeping stress to a minimum when we travel! In our case, we'll be driving from Berchtesgaden to Munich, after several days there at the end of our trip. We didn't want to risk missing our international flight home from Budapest the next day. (We're spending several days in Budapest at the start of our trip, but this also gives us one more afternoon and evening there.)