Driving in the day of the cruise

We are planning of driving in to the port the day of our cruise out of Seattle. We live 3 hours (up to 4 with really bad traffic) away. Our boarding time is 1:30 and we need to allow for parking and getting our luggage to the pier.

I am only slightly nervous to come in that day, but I'm reluctant to spend extra money to come in the day before (we wouldn't have time to do anything, just sleep in the hotel). Plus my daughter will just be arriving home from overnight camp, and she kind of wants to sleep in her own bed for 1 night. But, I would consider doing it if there are other reasons that I should consider.

Thanks!

Time of year (snow etc), and whether you have more than one available route comes into it.

We got caught in an awful traffic snarl-up in Seattle, abandoned our intended city visit en- route to Boeing.

But that,s the only time we,ve been to Seattle, so we're hardly experts on the city's traffic ;)

JB :)

I'm eight hours from the port, and I would never make the drive day-of. Too many things can happen. In fact, when we were headed to our very first cruise, something did happen: A tractor trailer truck turned over and burned by the side of the interstate. We literally waited two hours 'til traffic began moving again. People were out of their cars, walking around talking to each other. Then it was hours 'til the big traffic jam dissipated. In our family, the big topic of conversation was, "We are so glad we're not boarding 'til tomorrow".

With three hours to drive, your risk is considerably lower than mine, but do not, do not, do not cut it close. I'd allow six hours -- yes, literally double the anticipated time -- for the "just in cases".

We are planning of driving in to the port the day of our cruise out of Seattle. We live 3 hours (up to 4 with really bad traffic) away. Our boarding time is 1:30 and we need to allow for parking and getting our luggage to the pier.

I am only slightly nervous to come in that day, but I'm reluctant to spend extra money to come in the day before (we wouldn't have time to do anything, just sleep in the hotel). Plus my daughter will just be arriving home from overnight camp, and she kind of wants to sleep in her own bed for 1 night. But, I would consider doing it if there are other reasons that I should consider.

Thanks!

I try to avoid it, but if you must I'd leave home real early, if it's normally a maximum four hour drive leave about eight hours, while boarding is 1:30 you probably can board up to about 5:00 so there's wriggle room.

I live about 2-2 1/2 hour drive, but still prefer to go the day before, just makes everything so much more leisurely.

I try to avoid it, but if you must I'd leave home real early, if it's normally a maximum four hour drive leave about eight hours, while boarding is 1:30 you probably can board up to about 5:00 so there's wriggle room.

I live about 2-2 1/2 hour drive, but still prefer to go the day before, just makes everything so much more leisurely.

Cannot comment specifically on Seattle as I have never sailed from there. However, don't assume on the "wiggle" room. Several threads, one very recent, on cruises from Florida where cruise doesn't leave until 4-5:00 but all aboard can be anything from 3-4:00 depending on cruise line. Passengers were just a few minutes late, but denied sailing. Passenger lists have to be turned in to TSA/Homeland security prior to sailing. Whatever time you're told to be on board you need to be there.

Edited by Grandma Dazzles

I am the person in our family who thinks about the "what ifs". I would want double the necessary time as insurance, so if the journey normally takes 3 hours, I would allow 6...or more!

I would far rather sit and wait near the port, than sit and wait at home. You can always find a restaurant or somewhere to spend an hour or two if you get there very early.

Since your check-in time is 130, and your journey takes 3 hours minimum...you would have to leave home by 1030 at the latest. I would actually get up early and leave home by 630 or 7am. Have breakfast at a drive-through somewhere on the way and plan to eat lunch in the port city.

Have all your bags packed the night before, as much as possible....if there are things that have to be added in the morning, make a list of those items so nothing is left behind in the final rush out the door. Even have the bags loaded in the vehicle the night before, if you can.

OP...I am one to arrive the day before, but when I leave from Seattle, I drive in the same day....actually, I usually take the Bolt Bus in the same day. You should be fine. Just be sure to monitor traffice first thing in the morning and have alternate routes. The biggest risk is if you are coming over 90 and there is an accident or fire. Then you would be stuck trying to come over Highway 2.

If you are traveling north or south on 5, then there are always other roads available.

OP: "slightly nervous" is still "nervous" and rightly so.

We live only an hour or so from SFO. If we're flying outbound from there, we hire a town car service (far less expensive than parking our own car anywhere near the airport) and head to an airport hotel in Burlingame the day before. Great restaurants in Burlingame- dinner out, night cap at the hotel. Free shuttle to the airport the next morning. Perfect plan with no "nervous."

Don't be "penny wise and pound foolish. "

If you live 3 hours away, I would CERTAINLY drive the "day of"...not a problem 99.9% of the time! Give yourself a few extra hours...you want to get on the ship ASAP as boarding day IS day 1 of the cruise you paid for!

We are planning of driving in to the port the day of our cruise out of Seattle. We live 3 hours (up to 4 with really bad traffic) away.
To clarify.... which town are you driving in from in 3 hrs? Are you coming from Portland? Wenatchee? Some roads can be impacted by unplanned forest fires.

Driving from Portland up I-5. If we drive in "day of" it would be on a Sunday.

I would drive up from Portland day of, no question. However, with that said, I would not leave Portland 3 hours before board time. As one earlier poster said, leave early and plan to have lunch in Seattle or even on the ship. We normally arrive around 11:00 and are on the ship before noon.

Talked over pros and cons with DH....we are going to stick with our plan to drive up that day. But I do appreciate the advise from everyone. Our goal is to hit the road by 7 am. That is 6.5 hours before our boarding time, plus there is some leeway after that. I'll report back!

Are you on Princess, and your boarding time of 1:30 is based on your deck? Princess boarding starts about 11:30 and I have never seen the "staggered boarding" times enforced in Seattle. If you get there earlier than 1:30, don't waste your time and money eating lunch in town. (Unless there is some place you really want to go!) Just go directly to the ship and board. If you are on before 1:30, you can go to lunch in the MDR and it is so much better than stopping at a McD's!

Have your car checked out before you leave on your trip. A dead battery, flat tire, broken belt, overheated radiator, etc. can throw your plans into a tailspin.

Roz

We are on NCL. When I finally got around to the online check-in, all of the earlier spots were taken. They say to not show up more than 1 hour prior to your boarding time, but I have no idea if that is enforced or not. We will probably just show up at the pier as soon as we arrive.

Good idea to get the car checked out!

We leave to cruise on Saturday and we live an hour away from Seattle -plan to leave at 9:00am to give us plenty of time to get to the port...because you never know.

We're an hour's drive from the Port of LA, so if sailing from there and driving ourselves, we are usually fastening our seat belts about 9:30am. If we're using a car service (for our two-week cruises as we have small cars), we request a 10am pick up time. Once, a car service (which we will never used again) totally screwed up our booking and sent the vehicle to the port to pick us up on embarkation day (and managed to do the opposite on our disembarkation:mad:)...the dispatcher said they'll try to find us another vehicle -- she was claiming all of them were out at that point -- asking when is our sailing time...and I immediately said, no, send us a vehicle NOW (not going to play that game...esp on a rainy day in LA). We aren't going to stress out about trying to make a ship on time == we get in the day before at the least for other ports, and we want to get on the ship as soon as possible. And we have never been told we were too early.

I also live in Portland and will be sailing out of Seattle later this year. I'm going up the day of as well (when I fly to port, I always fly in the day before; Seattle is the only port that I consider going on the day of sailing). D give yourself plenty of time. I wouldn't worry about trying to be there for the boarding time they gave you. If you arrive early, then I would go to the port--it's not as if they'll turn you away if you're there early.

I live in Baton Rouge (Louisiana) and drive to New Orleans day of. I don't like driving to New Orleans because I've once had a flat AND took a wrong turn, making an hour and a half (max) trip seven hours.

But I have back-up in place. I could leave a broken car and have my parents get it. I know alternate routes and have GPS now. (Didn't back in the early 90s in my back-up car.)

Do you have alternate routes? Back-up plans?

If so, go for it!

If the roads might close due to snow or something, get a hotel.