Tahiti cruise if you don't snorkel

The bubble

It's true that these islands (and atoll) are a diving and snorkeling paradise. However, the islands are spectacularly beautiful. Even dipping your toes in the crystalline water or hanging out on the beach is an experience. Many of the private excursions have picnics along with the snorkeling. Not everyone went snorkeling - some just came along for the ride. We never took an Oceania tour only private.

I am curious in this topic too.

To get to Tahiti, a long flight, etc.

Is it a bucket list destination?

For those who have been, how would you rate this destination over any of your others?

Also not a water sports person.

It's true that these islands (and atoll) are a diving and snorkeling paradise. However, the islands are spectacularly beautiful. Even dipping your toes in the crystalline water or hanging out on the beach is an experience. Many of the private excursions have picnics along with the snorkeling. Not everyone went snorkeling - some just came along for the ride. We never took an Oceania tour only private.

Thank you for your comments. We chose 5 reg. excursions as part of our cruise fare. Tried looking up on Oceania's site the ship's excursions, however none appeared. Maybe someone who has been on the Oceania's tours can pipe in here.

We just did a Tahitian cruise to see the vast beauty of French Polynesia on Marina. Our trip was Papeete to Lima.

I don't really snorkel but I joined private tours and totally enjoyed the experiences. Got in the water a few times on tour, shallow warm water. Tour guides feed sting rays and reef sharks, passengers can get in the water. The Sharks ignore the people.

In Rangiroa we found a jitney tour in the cruise terminal. It was an inexpensive half day tour visiting some ruins, a pearl farm and some scenic vistas.

We didn't do much in Raiatea as it was ungodly hot. We walked around on our own, visiting a beach.

The flight from LAX on Air Tahiti Nui was a little less than eight hours. I found one that left mid afternoon in order to avoid a red eye. Most flights are red eyes. We arrived in Papaette 9pm and took a cab to a downtown hotel. The next day we ferried to Moorea for three days, staying at the Intercontinental. The tropic beauty is mind blowing and you need to see it to believe something so lovely exists.

The downside of Moorea was the heat and humidity in March, not much Breeze.

Some have said that Air Tahiti was the worst. They had all kinds of issues upon arrival. That O tours are very poor, that you are better off taking the obcs and organizing your own. That tour organizing ahead of time is difficult.The operators are not responsive and want hefty deposits up front.

I am hesitating booking this because of all the negatives.

Can anyone turn this feeling around for me.

Having just visited the area on ATW16, many people did go on snorkel/dive boats just for the sailing.

Fr. Poly is amazing and if you can get out on the water, even if only for a few hours, it is totally worth doing....at least it was for us. (I snorkel, Mr. Wonderful does, but rarely)

The water color is unbelievable.

We had no problems with air Tahiti, and my son and daughter-in-law did not either on their recent honeymoon trip. We were in business class however, which probably makes a big difference. I don't do any water activities that involve putting my head underwater due to an eardrum issue, but I still had a great time in Tahiti and would go back. We did a lot of hiking, and the beaches are just beautiful. Rented a car on Moorea and Tahiti and drove all over. Did a great dolphin watching excursion and a sunset sailboat excursion.

How was the flying with airtahiti?

We booked our own air, found a day flight and had no problems. On time departure from LAX and the smoothest landing ever.

We were in coach, I don't think they offer business class. It was a typical flying experience. I never eat airline food but it appeared to be the typical meal.

We booked our own air, found a day flight and had no problems. On time departure from LAX and the smoothest landing ever.

We were in coach, I don't think they offer business class. It was a typical flying experience. I never eat airline food but it appeared to be the typical meal.

Did you use air tahiti?

Considering a Tahiti and Hawaii cruise for May of 2018.

Since I don't dive or snorkel, what else is there to do on the islands of Raiatea and Rangiroa.

Thank you.

I have been to both these ports several times and Tahiti more than 5.

With out getting wet there isnt "jack" to do other than sit on the ship in the bar and pound em down. A few lagoon cruises and glass bottom boats but almost all include getting in the water

Fact both are very tiny places with little if any beach...its all coral not powdery sand, Its hot and humid, There isnt any shopping outside a general store except on Tahiti and Bora. No cultural shows, no city tours cause there is no cities. Little ramshackle collections of shacks with dogs and chickens.... its not like Hawaii at all. Its rugged, raw and remote.

There are no grand vistas, no buildings, no mountain drives or gardens.

Their attraction is on water sports, diving, boating, snorkeling, wave runners. The few beaches they have are Pay to play and private as much of Tahiti shore is coral and mangroves.... it aint Maui

If your interests dont match these.... Id skip Tahiti and look at it in the Travel Chanel at home because its expensive, they speak french and it takes a good 9 days at sea to get there... Even flights are few and far between...

I would honestly think this one through.... and go to Alaska. because its a waste of your money.

Some have said that Air Tahiti was the worst. They had all kinds of issues upon arrival. That O tours are very poor, that you are better off taking the obcs and organizing your own. That tour organizing ahead of time is difficult.The operators are not responsive and want hefty deposits up front.

Air Tahiti is fine Air France is better and Hawaiian from Hawaii is the worst.

you are correct on the tours on all but Bora.... However with a little french and a few months time geting a tour set up is very very easy and they take credit cards... no hefty deposit those are the scamerers

The dont respond like people in So Calif expect in hours or seconds....give en 1 week to 2 weeks between e-mail.

Bora Bora is the most commercial place in the South Pacific with easy tours to get even on arrival... Other islands require a lot of work and on some the ship uses up 100% of the options....you wont have another

Now, about getting to Tahiti... I have been 5 times going for my 6th in Jan 17.

Here is a lesson to ponder, you want to either start or end your cruise in Tahiti NOT does a 10 day Tahiti to Tahiti..... The trip rt to tahiti to Tahiti in 10 days can be easily the trip from hell with red eye arrival and deparutes... and horrible lay overs in open air huts.. no AC or any service.

No-no no no no no.

.. Arival in Tahiti by air and sail to the US is good and Air Tahiti is best with a 3pm LAX departure. Business class is very nice for the 7-8 hour flight O has a May Tahiti to LAX

So is Sail from the US through Hawaii to Tahiti and fly home. Air France is best for this. O does this in Jan LAX to Tahiti.

We flew Air Tahiti as arranged by Oceania and took a last minute upsell to Business class so our flight was wonderful. The problem with arrivals is that the Fa'aa airport in Papeete is very basic and if you're already tired after a long travel day, standing in an open (hot and humid) air "terminal" to clear customs is not fun. Other posters have used Air France so if that's an option for you, take the air credit and make your own arrangements if you want to avoid AT.

Once you get over the airport experience, the scenery in French Polynesia was arguably the most beautiful we've ever seen. Most of those in our CC group arranged their own excursions and while it does take time to hear back from some of the operators, none of the ones we dealt with demanded exhorbitant deposits and a few we paid the full amount in FP francs when we began the tour.

Very limited options in Fakarava if you don't snorkel (I did & it was spectacular) but bikes are available for rent at the pier. Raiatea has many excursions that include pearl and vanilla farms, lunch on a motu as well as snorkeling where you can remain on the boat and enjoy the fabulous setting. Same thing on Bora Bora where you can enjoy a Polynesian lunch on a private motu and circumnavigate the island in an outrigger canoe while being serenaded by ukulele players. Or you can opt for a 4x4 land tour.

Take the OBC in cash if you have that option, book your own excursions and GO to French Polynesia. Words cannot describe how stunning it is.

imgsvr.ashx?cmd=4&appContextId=12704&eMediaID=HZ6Djrirc_TnyJLPQc5dM,N32qrUGLWZ&hires=1&maxSize=600

If I ever had to fly to Tahiti again I would try to get a cruise ship or Air France to take me there. An Air France plane arrived next to our plane when I was there in February 2015.

Southwest Airlines has more comfortable seats and better legroom and better recline than Air Tahiti Nui economy seats.

I do not snorkel but I enjoyed the boat ride and surreal scenery.

Air Tahiti wasn't bad, and we will be using them again in 2018. We flew economy on Air Tahiti because we used Oceania's air for our Marina cruise in January '16. Most of the time, we fly business or first using points.

DW doesn't snorkel at all. However, she loved going on our private snorkeling excursions that included fabulous bbq's on the beach. She did go into the water, and and had fun feeding and petting the rays. Being on the water, enjoying the pristine scenery and waters with our fellow cruise mates was the best!! She loved it so much, that when I showed her an Oceania itinerary for Tahiti, FP, and Hawaii in 2018, she said that I should book it immediately. So we're going back in 2018 on Oceania, and we will be booking excursions again with Patrick and Ato!!!!!!!!

If you go, don't book a ship's excursion on Bora Bora or Fakarava. Book an excursion including lunch with Patrick on Bora Bora, or with Ato on Fakarava. Read their reviews on TripAdvisor. True paradise!!!!!

Edited by ruthnlarry

We flew Air Tahiti twice from LAX in economy with no problems. The seats were the same size as our American Airlines economy from JFK to LAX. The Faa'a airport is not air conditioned and is small. The problem with the flights is the timing they land and take off. There are other airlines besides Air Tahiti that fly to French Polynesia.

As far as the tour operators being unresponsive this is French Polynesia and they operate differently. Since the islands are small there aren't that many private tour operators so you need to book in advance.

Air Tahiti wasn't bad, and we will be using them again in 2018. We flew economy on Air Tahiti because we used Oceania's air for our Marina cruise in January '16. Most of the time, we fly business or first using points.

DW doesn't snorkel at all. However, she loved going on our private snorkeling excursions that included fabulous bbq's on the beach. She did go into the water, and and had fun feeding and petting the rays. Being on the water, enjoying the pristine scenery and waters with our fellow cruise mates was the best!! She loved it so much, that when I showed her an Oceania itinerary for Tahiti, FP, and Hawaii in 2018, she said that I should book it immediately. So we're going back in 2018 on Oceania, and we will be booking excursions again with Patrick and Ato!!!!!!!!

If you go, don't book a ship's excursion on Bora Bora or Fakarava. Book an excursion including lunch with Patrick on Bora Bora, or with Ato on Fakarava. Read their reviews on TripAdvisor. True paradise!!!!!

We joined roll call groups for Patrick in Bora Bora and Alto in Fakarava. We had a forgettable day with Hiro on Moorea.

Patrick's tour was one of our best ever. We circumvented the island in an outrigger canoe with stops to feed shark and sting ray plus the famous picnic at a private motu.

Alto offered a nice excursion and a lovely authentic BBQ. The picnic was at a public motu without much in the way of facilities. There are no ship excursions on this island.

We booked Francky Frank on our own and toured with him pre cruise on Moorea. He was top notch and very responsive to my emails. He gets rave reviews on Trip advisor.

I have been to both these ports several times and Tahiti more than 5.

With out getting wet there isnt "jack" to do other than sit on the ship in the bar and pound em down. A few lagoon cruises and glass bottom boats but almost all include getting in the water

Fact both are very tiny places with little if any beach...its all coral not powdery sand, Its hot and humid, There isnt any shopping outside a general store except on Tahiti and Bora. No cultural shows, no city tours cause there is no cities. Little ramshackle collections of shacks with dogs and chickens.... its not like Hawaii at all. Its rugged, raw and remote.

There are no grand vistas, no buildings, no mountain drives or gardens.

Their attraction is on water sports, diving, boating, snorkeling, wave runners. The few beaches they have are Pay to play and private as much of Tahiti shore is coral and mangroves.... it aint Maui

Well,...If you're really just going to Rangiroa and Raiatea, this is true for the former, but not really for the latter. Raiatea is a "high island", which means you can take land excursions by 4x4, for instance, or a hike, or a boat ride up the river or around the island--sometimes there are sailboats that take you out. There are some interesting cultural ruins on this island as well. In Rangi it's all about the water, but just being out on the lagoon in a boat can be nice. There's a black pearl farm you can visit from both islands.

The only beach access in Tahiti that you have to pay to gain access to is the hotels, and that just usually means having a drink or lunch there. Tahiti is not about beaches, it's about lagoons and motus (little islands.)

Considering a Tahiti and Hawaii cruise for May of 2018.

Since I don't dive or snorkel, what else is there to do on the islands of Raiatea and Rangiroa.

Thank you.

I certainly agree with Terrier above.

For our visit to Rangiroa we hired bikes at the local hotel...

27819386650_59168dd0b1_z.jpg

The joy is its all flat.

We covered the length of the atoll between the Avatoru Channel...

28065424076_37a49c1e03_z.jpg

and it's village church...

27819390260_aa5dbbcb06_z.jpg

...and the Taputa Channel through which we entered...

16304668318_9f69620725_z.jpg

You may wish to check out my blog of that particular cruise...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2015/02/12/silver-spirit-to-tahiti/

...and the one covering Tahiti...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2015/05/15/tahiti-one-way-to-see-the-island/

17068128240_7ec8227158_z.jpg

Edited by Solent Richard