Most efficient method to get from ship to Marco Polo airport

Beanb41

We will be disembarking from the Constellation in Venice and are looking for the most practical and efficient way of getting from the ship to Marco Polo airport. We have never been to Venice before , have no idea where the ship berths. We are considering a 2.45 pm or a 7.45pm flight. If we take the earlier flight we have a longer wait at another airport to catch a connecting flight. If we take the later flight then luggage storage may be an issue. I accept that the International airport isn't the best and we should be be there early to reduce stress levels. Grateful for advice please

:) The most stress free method is a water Taxi. Private, fast and efficient, as well as extremely scenic. The downside : easily the most expensive way. Depending on #/people, luggage etc,, it could be as much as 150E.

Be aware that Marco Polo airport is quite small, very congested, and chaotic. To try and control the number of people and bags being processed at any time, usually you cannot check in for flight until 2 hours before departure time : and yes, they do enforce it. This can lead to non moving lines in the concourse : but don't panic, that situation is normal.

K

We found another couple on our roll call flying at about the same time and we booked a car to pick the 4 of us up at the ship & take us to Marco Polo. Pretty reasonable as I recall and easy.

We found another couple on our roll call flying at about the same time and we booked a car to pick the 4 of us up at the ship & take us to Marco Polo. Pretty reasonable as I recall and easy.

can you give us some costings and any other relevant details please

There are a couple of options. In 2013, we took the people mover from the cruise terminal to the bus stop (if I recollect clearly its Tronchetto station, there's only 1 stop) and it cost around 2 Euros per person. It was a 5-10 minute walk from the cruise ship to the people mover, and with bags it can be cumbersome.

We then took a bus, which was right outside the station, you can't miss it. The bus also was pretty inexpensive, again 2-3 Euros a person I think.

In 2014, we just took a prepaid cab in the cruise terminal (after collecting bags). There's a large yellow kiosk and the people were really helpful. I think it was around 50 Euros for the cab ride and we tipped our driver 10 Euros. So it worked out to around 15 Euros since we were 4 passengers. Very convenient and we would definitely use this option again.

Be warned, counters at Venice airport open only 2 hours before the flight is scheduled to leave. The airport is quite small and we found ourselves sitting outside for a couple of hours since we reached so early.

Have done this just over a week ago ...would definately go for the earlier flight ...Marco Polo is a nightmare of an airport ...better to have a longer wait elsewhere.

I used Airport Taxi Transfers (just google it) ...they were excellent ...driver was there at least 30 mins early when we exited terminal ...very polite and transfer easy. ...and cheaper too ...think we paid only 39 euro as we paid in advance

If you decide for the later flight, there is a bag store at Piazzale Roma, where the People Mover ends and you find the bus stops. This is the terminus for all road traffic and taxis can be found here too. This would leave you free to spend the day in the city if you want to.

What is the "People Mover". I have seen it referred to often. Is it a vehicle of some description or is it a travellator similar to that found in long corridors of airports?

What is the "People Mover". I have seen it referred to often. Is it a vehicle of some description or is it a travellator similar to that found in long corridors of airports?

The People mover is an electric train/tram.

Note, you will need cash (euros) to buy your ticket. But there are lifts and escalators, so dragging your bags is easy.

It's basically a tram / monorail. Here's some info for you: http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice-people-mover.htm

Be aware that there can be long queues for this service especially when there are several large ships in port at the same time. Also depending on which berth you dock at you can be quite a walk away which may be an issue if you have lots of luggage.

That said I would store my bags, go for the later flight and enjoy a day in Venice. Who knows when you'll next be back (if ever). Last time I was there I did a foodie walking tour which was excellent, enabled us to try different eating places and also see part of the city which we probably wouldn't otherwise have done so. Not strenous but very enjoyable. Here's a link: http://www.venicebitesfoodtours.com/

Whatever you decide to do, enjoy Venice. Oh and in answer to your original question. We caught a water taxi from the port to the airport. Not particularly cheap but a fun and unique way to arrive at an airport!

It's basically a tram / monorail. Here's some info for you: http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice-people-mover.htm

Be aware that there can be long queues for this service especially when there are several large ships in port at the same time. Also depending on which berth you dock at you can be quite a walk away which may be an issue if you have lots of luggage.

That said I would store my bags, go for the later flight and enjoy a day in Venice. Who knows when you'll next be back (if ever). Last time I was there I did a foodie walking tour which was excellent, enabled us to try different eating places and also see part of the city which we probably wouldn't otherwise have done so. Not strenous but very enjoyable. Here's a link: http://www.venicebitesfoodtours.com/

Whatever you decide to do, enjoy Venice. Oh and in answer to your original question. We caught a water taxi from the port to the airport. Not particularly cheap but a fun and unique way to arrive at an airport!

We have the benefit of the ship doing an overnighter before we have to disembark so we will do the touristy bits on day 1. It will also give us an opportunity to check out bus transportation to the airport. A private water taxi is a bit beyond the budget especially after a ride in a gondola

:) The most stress free method is a water Taxi. Private, fast and efficient, as well as extremely scenic. The downside : easily the most expensive way. Depending on #/people, luggage etc,, it could be as much as 150E.

Be aware that Marco Polo airport is quite small, very congested, and chaotic. To try and control the number of people and bags being processed at any time, usually you cannot check in for flight until 2 hours before departure time : and yes, they do enforce it. This can lead to non moving lines in the concourse : but don't panic, that situation is normal.

K

You don't need to take a water taxi from the port to the airport. There are taxis there that are far cheaper.

If you want to save even more money, take the people mover to the bus and the bus to the airport.

Hi we went to Marco Polo airport from the Constellation in May this year we used Ziptransfers, they were excellent, we had 6 people plus luggage in a Minivan for 8 for a total of 48 euros. Cheaper than the local bus!!!!! Definitely use them again.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

There are different options depending on how much you want to pay.

I have used the cheap option of local bus from Piazzale Roma (mentioned by others) and I thoroughly enjoy the adventure. Be aware that you may end up standing on the bus for 20-30 minutes if it is full.

On a cruise with friends, we used the transfer option from the ship to the airport. That was a long wait, as one friend's luggage was last out (her luggage label had fallen off) and we missed our original bus. To add insult to injury, we had time to see that the taxis available at the port would have been cheaper in the long run than the ship's bus. There were some very large taxis available, with enough space for 4 people's luggage.

Another option is a water boat. The company is Alilaguna. It costs €14 each and goes from the cruise terminal to the airport, via San Marco and Lido. You can find it online. You need the blue line from the cruise terminal to the airport.

Edited by fantasy51

I just ordered a taxi for 4 persons from VCE airport to the ship : 38 Euro.

Cheaper than the bus/people mover combination ( 8 +1.5 Euro per person) and more comfortable/quicker.

Don't botter with the water taxi, that is way overpriced.

Also, WE DO NOT TIP in Europe. For 38 Euro fare, we give 40, keep the change.

Don't tip more please. We also adhere to tipping culture in the USA, so please adhere to our culture when visiting the EU.

We always hire a private driver. Advantages include having someone waiting for you (no taxi queue), you choose the time that is best for you, and not having to wait until a van fills up with others. Disadvantage can be cost, although it's usually less that the Celebrity transfer. You can see the costs on these websites.

You can check on Trip Advisor and this board for others. Here are two that we have used.

http://www.veniceshuttle.it/

https://www.veneziaportaest.com/en/services/car-rental-with-driver-for-private-users/private-shuttle-transfer-venice-airport-to-port-cruise-terminal.php

Taking into account that you never went to Venice before and are not familiar with the different means of transportation from the cruise terminal, I suggest that you should read the Tom's Port Guide; they are perfect for first time cruisers in a new city.

It will also give you useful tips for your first day in Venice (before the overnight).

Here is the link for the Venice guide: http://www.tomsportguides.com/port-guides.html#venice

My personal tips: taking into account that your ship is scheduled to dock in Venice around 8:00 AM, don't forget to get up at least two hours before since the approach and cruising in front of the St-Mark's Square is a must that you don't want to miss. Moreover, if you are on a tight budget, don't spoil it on a Gondola ride (it's a rip-off!), just take the Vaporetto along the Grand Canal and save the Gondola fee for an excursion at Murano and Burano or entrance fees at Dodge's Palace or some museums.

That being said, if you figure that you could have time for some sightseeing in Venice on the last day, book the late flight, take the People Mover to Piazzale Roma where you will leave your luggage, as suggested previously, explore Venice and take a bus from Piazzale Roma after recuperating your luggage. If not, book the early flight and go directly from the port to the airport by taxi as some posters mentioned previously.

Enjoy your stay in Venice, a marvellous city.

Edited by vivi9909

Personally, I have never had an issue with a private transfer; just leave plenty of time no matter what you decide to do. Yes, we did use the people mover before, but the time you leave is very important to navigate the lines. I always look at the very least restrictive environment when I choose transportation. Many of the services listed above are excellent. Sometimes, a little more money spent is so much better than having something happen to cause you grief!

the 'most practical and efficient' is a car service or cab.

Either flight gives you plenty of time to get to the airport. It's only a 15-20 minute drive to Marco Polo; you should arrive 2 1/2 - 3 hrs hrs prior to departure.

if you take the earlier flight, the car would meet you around 11:30 but you will need to be off the ship well before then. Kind of awkward to kill 2-3 hrs when you have luggage.

I'd go for the later flight...... store your luggage at Piazzale Roma then explore Venice for the day. If you can easily manage your luggage, disembark late to avoid the crowds, then walk to the People Mover entrance. The 2 minute ride will drop you at Piazzale Roma and the Left Luggage facility is just next door.

http://trasbagagli.it/en/pg/view/53/luggage-storage-venice-piazzale-roma-airport

If you can't manage your luggage for a few blocks walk, you can take a cab from the pier to the luggage facility at PRoma. Pricey for a 3 minute ride.

After you drop your luggage, you can walk a block to the Grand Canal and catch a water bus, or, you can just walk about. At 4pm collect your luggage and catch the ATVO express bus to the airport at 4:30 or 4 50. It leaves from PRoma so it's convenient. 8E. If you'd rather take a cab, there are usually cabs parked at PRoma, as it is the last point of travel for land vehicles. about 40E

http://www.atvo.it/en-venice-airport.html

Edited by mapleleaves

Not sure if you are flying home to NZ from Venice. If you are and it was me, I would take the early flight as it gets the stress over with and you can relax at stop over. It is such a long way you need a calm start.

But I am not a good airport person and I am on edge all day on flying days, especially when I have to face a 24 hour flight.

Not sure if you are flying home to NZ from Venice. If you are and it was me, I would take the early flight as it gets the stress over with and you can relax at stop over. It is such a long way you need a calm start.

But I am not a good airport person and I am on edge all day on flying days, especially when I have to face a 24 hour flight.

We are only going as far as Singapore , then onto Thailand before heading back to NZ. If we take the early planned flight out of Venice we have a 6 hour layover in Zurich or the late flight a 2 hour layover. Either way we are going to have plenty of time to catch the people mover and the bus.

I'd just like to offer a counter-view to Despegue's comment, and the one that I know is prevalent.

YES WE DO TIP IN EUROPE. Even the Scots like me! :eek: :D

We tip for taxis, porters, restaurants, hotel bellmen etc. Unless the service is awful, then we do not tip at all. No tip at all normally means you are an unhappy customer.

NB - Restaurants are complicated -Service might be included (we still normally tip but small amounts) or might not, cover charge might be added, or might not. That varies from country to country and affects the amount of the tip. Google "tipping in Europe". Plenty of websites to read and compare and all show we DO tip.

Taxi tips in Europe are surprisingly consistent from country to country -around 10%.

From my research:

Your choices: cab about 40 Euro,you can schedule a service for about the same

Bus (after 2 Euro people mover) 5 Euro

Water taxi 14 Euro (plus people Mover -can do a day ticket for more if you want to explore the area via boat, but this is a private not public ticket so not good on the local service) private would be about 100 Euro or more

Does anyone know the cost and hours of the luggage storage? We have an 11pm flight.