NCL Does Not "Nickle and Dime"

boatseller

Um I have a serious problem with people complaining about the UBP gratuity. NCL is doing right by their employees by doing this. Since offering UBP they sell way less alcohol, thus reducing what is collected in tips, thus reducing crew members salaries. It is not fair for crew members to take a hit because of something the cruise line is offering to people.

Um I have a serious problem with people complaining about the UBP gratuity. NCL is doing right by their employees by doing this.

Exactly! It also gives the crew an incentive for good service since they know, or should know, that the customer is paying for their service. They more they serve and you drink, the more the house has to pay :)

Um I have a serious problem with people complaining about the UBP gratuity. NCL is doing right by their employees by doing this. Since offering UBP they sell way less alcohol, thus reducing what is collected in tips, thus reducing crew members salaries. It is not fair for crew members to take a hit because of something the cruise line is offering to people.

I thought the crew did not get any of the gratuities?

Edited by pieshops

We've cruised multiple times before and this is our first on NCL (off to ALASKA, yippee!!)

I was looking at some menus for the trip we're going to be on and noticed that lobster is an upcharge on the menu. Is this common throughout the line?

We've cruised multiple times before and this is our first on NCL (off to ALASKA, yippee!!)

I was looking at some menus for the trip we're going to be on and noticed that lobster is an upcharge on the menu. Is this common throughout the line?

RCCL it is as well, except I think they always have one night that they serve it free. I am one of two people in the world that doesn't like Lobster so I'm not completely up on that stuff.

I'm not 100% convinced of that. I have seen posts where the poster had spoken to the bar staff and since the inception of the 18% the bar staff has been getting a salary. If any excess gratuity over the salaries is kept by NCL then I would say they are not doing right by their employees.

I know what "Nickel and Dime" means which is why I'm saying that, NCL is not "nickle and diming" anyone for anything anytime. Neither does RCI and probably Carnival too, for that matter.

It's not a matter of perception. It is very easy to leave the ship with a $0 account balance.

In practice, the crew warns you so many times about upchage items that A) the don't seem to want your nickles or dimes B) it gets annoying (but I understand why they do it).

Of course it's easy to leave any ship with a zero balance, that isn't the issue. If I have to pay extra on one line for something I can get for free on another line then I am not having a comparable experience. But we can agree to disagree, that's perfectly acceptable. (And by saying NCL nickels and dimes I am only acknowledging an economic reality, I am not disparaging them at all.)

I'm not 100% convinced of that. I have seen posts where the poster had spoken to the bar staff and since the inception of the 18% the bar staff has been getting a salary. If any excess gratuity over the salaries is kept by NCL then I would say they are not doing right by their employees.

If NCL is charging a gratuity and keeping it they are criminals and should promptly go out of business. I do not think they are doing that.

If NCL is charging a gratuity and keeping it they are criminals and should promptly go out of business. I do not think they are doing that.

I only know what I've read and I happen to agree with you.

Assumption Alert - is the 18% being charged on a 'free' UBP being passed onto the relevant crew?

(For info - in Europe the 'free' UBP does not attract the extra 18%.)

Think about this for a minute and then ask yourself "does NCL pass on the 18%s to the crew from some pax but then NCL covers the 18% from other pax?"

Of course not - the 18% goes to their bottom line (or in Europe they roll it into the base cruise fare).

There is - at best - a tenuous link between the 18% and the bar crews' wages. The crews' wages do not go up and down depending on how many pax have the 'free' UBP and where those pax are from.

Sorry, but "Nickel and Dime" is a disparaging term which is being applied without justification.

Every premium service is easily avoidable and there are excellent complimentary alternatives available.

Non disparaging alternative: The $7.95 Room Service Charge is excessive.

Edited by boatseller@hotmail.com

Sorry, but "Nickel and Dime" is a disparaging term which is being applied without justification.

Every premium service is easily avoidable and there are excellent complimentary alternatives available.

Non disparaging alternative: The $7.95 Room Service Charge is excessive.

Okay, if that is your view that's fine but why take it so personally? It's not like anyone is bad mouthing your wife or kid, we're talking about a corporation.

How about this- NCL always goes above and beyond to ensure that the maximum amount of onboard revenue is collected from every passenger.;)

Okay, if that is your view that's fine but why take it so personally? It's not like anyone is bad mouthing your wife or kid, we're talking about a corporation.

How about this- NCL always goes above and beyond to ensure that the maximum amount of onboard revenue is collected from every passenger.;)

I didn't read that the poster took the issue personally, just voicing their opinion, just as everyone else on here has done.

A lot of companies go above and beyond their competitors to ensure that the maximum spending by their customers, nothing wrong with that.

Yup!yes! True!,,

This nickel and dime garbage has been way over played . I don't spend one penny that I don't want to. Letting the loss of a Coke product ruin one' s cruise is insane.

We also cruise RCL. There is absolutely a service charge in specialty dining, water bottles, etc. and the bottled water is the same damned price as NCL. They do Not allow soda and water to be carried aboard.

S

Royal Caribbean does allow one to take sodas on board. I personally carried on sodas on the cruise we did with them earlier this year, no questions asked and no problems taking it on the boat. I had the alcohol card, but I don't drink coke products. My mtn dew is like other peoples coffee.

Though personally I think almost any business out there can nickel and dime their customers. Its whether we chose to purchase those items. For us we don't buy the pictures and just tell them we don't even want them taken, we don't play bingo. We do drink liquor, we will buy soda cards, we don't buy the ships internet packages, we don't use room service. I also buy the Premium dining package when I go to Disney. Personally I like some of the packages and prefer to have everything taken care of with just one bill. Not constantly tacking on extras.

I didn't read that the poster took the issue personally, just voicing their opinion, just as everyone else on here has done.

A lot of companies go above and beyond their competitors to ensure that the maximum spending by their customers, nothing wrong with that.

The OP sounds a little defensive, that's all. I never said that there was anything wrong with it, I don't happen to see "nickel and diming" as a disparaging term, I see it as maximizing their onboard revenue. Call it what you will, the end result is the same.

The OP sounds a little defensive, that's all. I never said that there was anything wrong with it, I don't happen to see "nickel and diming" as a disparaging term, I see it as maximizing their onboard revenue. Call it what you will, the end result is the same.
Many on here are using it in a disparaging way, IMHO. I always figure if one wants to keep their nickels and dimes, they should keep them firmly in their hand and not hand them over to anyone....it is all about choices.

Close. Yes, I am defending them. Why? I've worked in the industry and I know people who have worked or are working now. Both onboard and shoreside.

They are great people who really want to provide a great experience. So when someone gripes about silly things like "nickel and diming", you talking about my colleagues and friends, not 'some corporation'.

Many on here are using it in a disparaging way, IMHO. I always figure if one wants to keep their nickels and dimes, they should keep them firmly in their hand and not hand them over to anyone....it is all about choices.

I agree. I can avoid the cow plops in a field easily enough if I want to take a walk but if I can walk through a field with no cow plops I would choose that one;). (And if people do use it in a disparaging way why let it get to you, they aren't disparaging you or your loved ones.)

Close. Yes, I am defending them. Why? I've worked in the industry and I know people who have worked or are working now. Both onboard and shoreside.

They are great people who really want to provide a great experience. So when someone gripes about silly things like "nickel and diming", you talking about my colleagues and friends, not 'some corporation'.

No, I am not criticizing them because they had nothing to do with the decision or the policy or whatever. I for one see the difference between the fat cats in the board room and the staff and I think most people can see that difference also.

I agree. I can avoid the cow plops in a field easily enough if I want to take a walk but if I can walk through a field with no cow plops I would choose that one;). (And if people do use it in a disparaging way why let it get to you, they aren't disparaging you or your loved ones.)
Never got to me or has anything to do with my loved ones, maybe yours, but not mine.

Never got to me or has anything to do with my loved ones, maybe yours, but not mine.

You may criticize any company that I do business with, I don't care enough about any of them enough to be offended by it.