onboard credit card usage

kimtaein1

Hi,

My parents are on a cruise which i paid for (i've just dropped them off at the port 30 mintes ago :) )

I also put my credit card to be charged for whatever expense they have on board. I didn't checked them in at the port but the boarding instruction says i have to present my credit card during check-in.

A couple of questions

1. I signed xpress boarding saying i authorize my parents to use my credit card. Do they ask for credit card during check-in?

2. If my parents have to use their own credit card, each time it is charged, they would have to pay some fee because the credit card is not US issued.

Does Celebrity bill the credit card once on the last day or is every single small purchases going to go through credit card?

3. If they bill the credit card on the last day of the trip, can my parents balance on the room by cash?

Thanks

I have had it happen that the check-in agent asked for the credit card. I would say that it is probable that they asked your parents for the card.

The bill is settled on the last day, not day by day. Any bill, whether a credit card account or not, can be settled in cash on the last day.

I don't believe that the credit card you used is passed on to the ship. On the Express Pass you only put in the last 4 digits of the credit card.

Every Cruise I have been on they ask for a credit card when you check in and that it the one the charges are applied to on the last day of the cruise.

Jim

I don't believe that the credit card you used is passed on to the ship. On the Express Pass you only put in the last 4 digits of the credit card.

Every Cruise I have been on they ask for a credit card when you check in and that it the one the charges are applied to on the last day of the cruise.

Jim

This is correct.

To answer the OP's other questions, Celebrity with put a hold on the credit card, in the same way as a hotel would, but not take any payment until the final day of the cruise. There is likely to be only one payment taken from the card. The only exception may be is if additional charges occurred following that payment - e.g. minibar usage.

The OP's parent can set up a cash account and pay in cash but it sound as though it may be too late for that. Regardless, I believe that they can still pay in cash at the end of the cruise. Just go down to Guest Relations on the final evening any make a payment. I have a vague recollection of doing this when we purchased US$ at a better rate than at the time of cruising - but I cannot guarantee that my memory is correct.

To answer the OP's other questions, Celebrity with put a hold on the credit card, in the same way as a hotel would, but not take any payment until the final day of the cruise. There is likely to be only one payment taken from the card. The only exception may be is if additional charges occurred following that payment - e.g. minibar usage.

The OP's parent can set up a cash account and pay in cash but it sound as though it may be too late for that. Regardless, I believe that they can still pay in cash at the end of the cruise. Just go down to Guest Relations on the final evening any make a payment. I have a vague recollection of doing this when we purchased US$ at a better rate than at the time of cruising - but I cannot guarantee that my memory is correct.

I believe you are correct and your memory is good. On the last night of the cruise, you can go down and settle up by paying cash. The credit card presented during check-in won't be charged.

yes you must present the hard copy credit card upon check in. while a hold is placed on it, it will not be charged until the cruise is over.

they can pay it down at any point before midnight the last night on board with cash. but once they do they can no longer purchase anything on board.

If you want them to use YOUR credit card, they will need to have your credit card...they have to actually RUN (imprint, if you're old enough to remember imprinting the card) the card!

Yes...the charges you make during the cruise are held until the cruise is over, and all charges are made at one time.