Oceania Cruises Close to Cuba Approval

LauraS

I had a circular email from our agent today announcing the news that Oceania and Regent cruises are going to Cuba. Interesting, I thought... I looked closer and saw that the first cruise was in March and on Marina. Even more interesting, I thought....as we are booked on a Marina March cruise. Then I looked at the cruise 'name' - Old Town Rhythms. Oh, not the March cruise we are booked on then, that was called 'Old Town Charms'. What a pity, I'd love to see Cuba, Havana at least....

Only when curiosity made me check the calendar did I realise that this IS our cruise, renamed and re-routed!

My question is, how long will it take someone to contact us to say our trip has changed shape?! Only yesterday were we researching independent shore trips at the ports were due to go to!

Well, blow me down (English expression meaning 'surprised'!), no sooner do I post than our wonderful agent emails me with the 'important itinerary update'! It's beginning to feel like this will be a special cruise - special lecturers etc and 'first ship in'.

Can anyone explain Mr Del Rio's reference to October?

"The Cuba-approved health insurance and visas will be made available as a package through Oceania Cruises for not more than USD $125 per guest, the cost of which will be added to your reservation." (bolding and underlining mine). Perhaps it won't be as much as $125. so keep staying positive YoHoHo:)

"The Cuba-approved health insurance and visas will be made available as a package through Oceania Cruises for not more than USD $125 per guest, the cost of which will be added to your reservation." (bolding and underlining mine). Perhaps it won't be as much as $125. so keep staying positive YoHoHo:)

Does that mean that it is a blanket charge for all passengers? I am not sure that they can do that. I understand that they are in their rights to change itinerary but not charge people who do not wish to visit a port.

Well I have been informed by Oceania that whether or not I get off the ship in Havana, I am obliged to pay the 125 US tourist card and medical insurance fee. Now, I do not understand how they can do this, I know they can change itineraries for whatever reason, but how can they make passengers pay this fee if they do not wish to get off in Havana. Truthfully I have been cruising for more than 30 years and this is the first I have heard of this. I could understand if this was advised at time of booking, but because Oceania is hell bent of getting into Cuba, we have to pay whether it is our preference or not!

I had expressed a desire to visit additional ports in Cuba (other than Havana).

Perhaps those itineraries will start in October?

Thanks, Paul - that would make sense.

(still fondly remember the first Marina TA when we met you and your wife! It was that cruise that we met FDR in New York)

Thanks, Paul - that would make sense.

(still fondly remember the first Marina TA when we met you and your wife! It was that cruise that we met FDR in New York)

You are welcome.

We too have wonderful memories of that cruise and all the nice people we met on that cruise:)

I know they can change itineraries for whatever reason, but how can they make passengers pay this fee if they do not wish to get off in Havana.
Even if you stay on the ship while it is docked in Havana, you are still in Cuba and subject to Cuban immigration regulations. I don't know if that's the real reason (because a lot of countries don't bother enforcing their entry requirements unless you actually go ashore) or if Oceania has just decided to do things this way.

With this "Update", there are additional government forms. Funny (and I really mean strange) is that the OFAC Cuba Travel Affidavit requires that each guest retain a copy for 5 years from the date of completion of their travel to Cuba.

I think it's technically the carrier's responsibility to obtain this certification from each (American) passenger and keep it for five years, but the passenger is also supposed to keep records of their activities while in Cuba and store them for five years.

Did Oceania send the same notice to non-U.S. citizens/residents? Because they can't sign the affidavit (if you sign it, you declare that you are subject to U.S. jurisdiction).

Edited by hawkeyetlse

thanks Queen of DaNile.

Just on principle I do hope they think hard on that "up to" part. I realize they are caught up in the bureaucracy of this new approval process of USA cruises to Cuba. And that things might get sorted out and simplified for the next Caribbean sailing season. And I appreciate that we as Canadians are caught up in these requirements so there is little O or anyone else can do at this point.

That said, as on various threads this fee is annoying a lot of people. Some simply do not want to go to Cuba and this adds salt to the wound.

For me, the money part is about for the short visit, and that the USD $125 fee appears to me to include a markup. It is a required fee and so on principle is very annoying.

It is these 'little' things that can be so lingering. I don't want that to taint my cruise so I am over it now.

In the future I expect they will simply roll the fee into the rest of their taxes and fees and so the pain will not be felt. I am hoping the $125 is just a feeler/estimate.

We are only in the administration fee penalty phase. Others are further along and if they want to cancel have to take their lumps for that and so are understandably displeased, even if the cruise lines do have the right to make changes and pass along fee or tax increases.

I'm now over my objections.

We could visit Havana on other cruise ships, perhaps at other times. But knowing Mr. Del Rio's history, sailing into Cuba on an O ship is something special. We look forward to visiting Cuba and meeting the people.

This part of the cruise is not something I want to miss.

Well I have been informed by Oceania that whether or not I get off the ship in Havana, I am obliged to pay the 125 US tourist card and medical insurance fee. Now, I do not understand how they can do this...

My understanding is it's not O that has the requirement it's a combination of things out of their control. Though I believe the amount of the fee is their choice.

Even if you stay on the ship while it is docked in Havana, you are still in Cuba and subject to Cuban immigration regulations. I don't know if that's the real reason (because a lot of countries don't bother enforcing their entry requirements unless you actually go ashore) or if Oceania has just decided to do things this way.

I agree with hawkeyetlse. The Cuban authorities... "you are still in Cuba and subject to Cuban immigration regulations". We almost experienced this a few years ago when visiting Istanbul on an O cruise. I made a inquiry at the Destination Services desk and they misunderstood thinking that I did not have my visa for Turkey as the ship was docking. They somewhat panicked wanting me to see the Purser immediately.

The other thing is the USA requirements to allow these ships to sail to Cuba at all. It's a blanket policy they are applying to everyone on the ship, even to Canadians and other non-US residents that would otherwise not be required to follow their "people to people" approval conditons.

That is my understanding in any case.

It seems to me you have few choices: pay the fee and stay on the ship; pay the fee and experience a bit of Havana; or to cancel the cruise and pay the penalty depending on which sailing date you're on. If you are still in the $250 pp Admin fee phase and want to cancel you should speak with your TA right away as they might be able to mitigate that somewhat.

Edited by YoHoHo

My understanding is it's not O that has the requirement it's a combination of things out of their control. Though I believe the amount of the fee is their choice.

I agree with hawkeyetlse. The Cuban authorities... "you are still in Cuba and subject to Cuban immigration regulations". We almost experienced this a few years ago when visiting Istanbul on an O cruise. I made a inquiry at the Destination Services desk and they misunderstood thinking that I did not have my visa for Turkey as the ship was docking. They somewhat panicked wanting me to see the Purser immediately.

The other thing is the USA requirements to allow these ships to sail to Cuba at all. It's a blanket policy they are applying to everyone on the ship, even to Canadians and other non-US residents that would otherwise not be required to follow their "people to people" approval conditons.

It seems to me you have few choices: pay the fee and stay on the ship; pay the fee and experience a bit of Havana; or to cancel the cruise and pay the penalty depending on which sailing date you're on. If you are still in the $250 pp Admin fee phase and want to cancel you should speak with your TA right away as they might be able to mitigate that somewhat.

I really enjoy your commen sense views. Helps to keep me grounded....thanks.

Well I have been informed by Oceania that whether or not I get off the ship in Havana, I am obliged to pay the 125 US tourist card and medical insurance fee. Now, I do not understand how they can do this, I know they can change itineraries for whatever reason, but how can they make passengers pay this fee if they do not wish to get off in Havana.

I agree with YOHOHO

I would cancel the cruise while you still have time

You probably will not be happy with the cruise

As I suggested before just use your non-refundable airfare & either enjoy Florida or find a cruise that might be going someplace you would enjoy during your air flight dates

It is not worth stressing out over JMO

Is it legal to change the fare after Oceania sends your bill to you? Maybe not. :confused::confused::confused:

We were also booked on a March cruise to the Western Caribbean that now includes Cuba and are delighted. No one from Oceania has reached out to us yet but my TA did get a revised booking document that includes the comment about using Oceania for Cuban Visa and Health Insurance.

There is a lot of speculation on the Roll Call about whether or not we will be allowed to book independent excursions while in Havana.

FDR - can you or someone else answer this question?

Thanks!

We were also booked on a March cruise to the Western Caribbean that now includes Cuba and are delighted. No one from Oceania has reached out to us yet but my TA did get a revised booking document that includes the comment about using Oceania for Cuban Visa and Health Insurance.

There is a lot of speculation on the Roll Call about whether or not we will be allowed to book independent excursions while in Havana.

Thanks!

I doubt it. We are still under the people to people regulations for travel requiring all activities be educational/cultural exchanges. I am fairly sure tours organized by o will be mandatory

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by bitob

I also wonder about this. Oceania may be stepping into unknown territory.

Read the fine print. The contract is very one sided. They can make changes, even ones that affect rice

However if u are outside penalty period you cancel.

I would bet these Cuba cruises will be in high demand

Oceania has posted a section about Cuba to the FAQ. This is what they say about excursions:
Will I be able to move about Cuba freely?

Oceania Cruises will offer a variety of shore excursions in Havana. Guests are not required to participate in these excursions and are free to move about Cuba as long as their activities comply with the general license they are travelling under. Entry to some government buildings may be restricted; it's best to ask your guide about the building’s specific entry protocol before trying to enter on your own.[/font][/color]

The 12 kinds of travel activities authorized under OFAC's general license are explained in this FAQ from the Treasury Department. Most people on the cruise will be traveling under the "people-to-people" license, and this is how they define those activities:

Travelers utilizing this general license must ensure they maintain a full-time schedule of educational exchange activities intended to enhance contact with the Cuban people, support civil society in Cuba, or promote the Cuban people’s independence from Cuban authorities, and that will result in meaningful interaction between the traveler and individuals in Cuba.
Edited by hawkeyetlse

Part of the problem is non US citizens are swiped with the same brush

Most Canadians & UK passengers carry medical insurance from their own Country & having to fork out more $$ to get the Cuban Insurance as required ...(US insurance companies will not cover Cuba visits for US citizens )

It is still new territory for lines leaving from a US ports so things may change or not in the next few months

On other lines that do not leave from a US port non US Citizens just have to show proof of medical insurance when boarding the ship

I would be annoyed having to buy more insurance since I do not leave the Country without it

So I can see how some Non US citizens would be upset by the added $$

Everyone needs the Tourist card/Visa so that is not an issue for me

Part of the problem is non US citizens are swiped with the same brush

Most Canadians & UK passengers carry medical insurance from their own Country & having to fork out more $$ to get the Cuban Insurance as required ...(US insurance companies will not cover Cuba visits for US citizens )

It is still new territory for lines leaving from a US ports so things may change or not in the next few months

On other lines that do not leave from a US port non US Citizens just have to show proof of medical insurance when boarding the ship

I would be annoyed having to buy more insurance since I do not leave the Country without it

So I can see how some Non US citizens would be upset by the added $$

Everyone needs the Tourist card/Visa so that is not an issue for me

If I were a Canadian citizen, I doubt if I would be taking a cruise to Cuba on a an U.S. owned cruise line. After all, Canadian's (as well as most of the world) have been able to travel there with few restrictions for years. When we flew to Cuba from Canada we could go wherever we wanted to go and visit places without restrictions. IMO, there will be far more U.S. citizens visiting Cuba on Oceania than citizens of other countries.

If I were a Canadian citizen, I doubt if I would be taking a cruise to Cuba on a an U.S. owned cruise line. After all, Canadian's (as well as most of the world) have been able to travel there with few restrictions for years. When we flew to Cuba from Canada we could go wherever we wanted to go and visit places without restrictions. IMO, there will be far more U.S. citizens visiting Cuba on Oceania than citizens of other countries.

You are correct, however, when we booked the cruise on the Marina, we were not scheduled to visit Cuba. If we canacel the cruise now will will loose 250.00 USD per person.

The 12 kinds of travel activities authorized under OFAC's general license are explained in this FAQ from the Treasury Department. Most people on the cruise will be traveling under the "people-to-people" license, and this is how they define those activities:

If you get off a cruise ship in every and any port and spend your time shopping and sitting in the square relaxing and people watching, you'll find the excursions required by People to People regulations will make for a different experience. However, if you've ever attended folkloric shows/musical performances, historic sites, areas of natural beauty, etc. at port calls all over the world, you won't find the Cuban excursions to be very different.

A visit to the cigar factory and the rum distillery will feel familiar to cruisers who have gone to wineries in France and Italy. A monument to the heroes of a military campaign will be familiar, too. However, some of our most-obvious People to People stops were among our most interesting experiences. We visited a medical clinic, an elementary school, and a cooperative farm. For those of us old enough to remember the Cuban revolution, it was interesting to see examples of ordinary life post-revolution. (If you know you'll be visiting a clinic, try to bring a small donation of over the counter medicines or supplies. It will be appreciated. Ditto for elementary-appropriate school supplies. Note: We were advised not to use the word "donation" but to refer to the items as "gifts." If playing a silly word game made the visit go more smoothly, that was fine with me. I wanted the experience and was more than willing to use the word "gift" during the visit itself.)

Basically, it comes down to how you feel about visiting Cuba. If you're excited to be going, you'll cope with the minimally intrusive regulations. If you're irritated because of the extra government-imposed fees or the politics, then you'll be further irritated by the People to People experience.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

You are correct, however, when we booked the cruise on the Marina, we were not scheduled to visit Cuba. If we canacel the cruise now will will loose 250.00 USD per person.

A good ta can get that refunded or applied to another cruise