GREECE with photos

My wife and I had dreamed of a Greek islands cruise for a few years. Last month, June 2016, we made that dream come true.

We flew from Orlando to Rome a day ahead of cruise departure. After the long 12 hour flight, we decided to pamper ourselves and took a Rome Cabs limo from the Rome airport to the port city of Civitavecchia. Surprisingly, the 130 euro limo fare was less than the cost of the RCI bus transfer service. Our friendly Rome Cabs driver gave us some insider info on Civitavecchia, including the fact that the suffix "vecchia" means old in Italian.

We stayed at the Hotel Traghetto in the historic area. It's an affordable, well maintained older hotel with a very friendly helpful staff. Just around the corner was the port bus and the desk attendant personally walked us there and helped my wife across the street. She has asthma and walks slowly. What wonderful service.

At the cruise terminal we got our first look at a the recently refurbished Jewel of the Seas. 2db00916e977e45acd9423251e70e663.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

GREECE WITH PHOTOS CONTINUED SANTORINI TOUR

Our itinerary included Santorini, Athens, Mykonos and Katakolon.

We chose an RCI half day excursion for Santorini that would take us to Oia and Fira. Santorini is volcanic in origin with the town perched on top of the cliffs. The ride in the tour bus was on a narrow twisting road with spectacular views of the caldera, which formed the harbor.

81708e565824e4b3d6288b9a7be697ea.jpg

GREECE WITH PHOTOS CONTINUED - Santos Winery

Our first tour stop was at Santos Winery. The buffet included Greek breads, cheeses, olives and other specialties. We tasted three wines and bought a bottle of vinsanto a reddish brown wine that was one of the best we ever tasted.921faa69a7b27aa49c0d4452215fa341.jpg

GREECE WITH PHOTOS - OIA SANTORINI

Oia is beautiful. Perched on the cliffs with white buildings to reflect the hot sun and blue roofs as a tribute to the sea. It's a photographers paradise. There are narrow winding streets with shopping. fb7978a0f1905035fcc060376b79de81.jpgfbd65f218638a27f4acf4a6ff8e1494b.jpg824b0fa7d58a99f5e35cd857d9ea8865.jpg

GREECE WITH PHOTO - FIRA, SANTORINI

It's a very long walk from the bus drop off in Fira to the cable car down to the ship tender port. Up and down steps and hotter than usual weather ( mid 90's) . Fira seemed to be mostly commercial so we headed straight for cable cars, which fortunately had only a 15 minute wait. Reportedly, the wait can be up to two hours. c30671ec10875716c472d9f8b10f1d25.jpg

GREECE WITH PHOTOS ATHENS

Again we booked a half day RCI tour. We were to visit the Acropolis, then on to the Plaka for 1 1/2 hours of shopping. It's a 15 minute walk from the bus drop off to the Plaka, so we really only had one hour. We saw a beautiful Greek Orthodox Church on the square and my wife bought a bracelet in the Greek Key to love and happiness design. 5d81406026c9a78977ab8a04eea4cff7.jpg0e23a82e2007469ff8a0a2ba7ead0aef.jpg

I am so excited by your review! We are also doing the 9 night Jewel /greek Island cruise in October, 2017. I look forward to seeing more!

The only problem is that on my laptop the pictures are huge, which make them and the text impossible to read without shrinking the screen (which also makes the text hard to read). Do you think you could make them a bit smaller so the next page will be easier? On my phone they are fine, but I prefer the laptop.

GREECE WITH PHOTOS - MYKONOS

The ship ahead of us could not tender to Mykonos, because of rough sees. When we arrived the seas were still rough, so we had a sea day. A friend who took the ferry to Mykonos last year said the seas were so rough she got sea sick. Just as well we stayed on the ship in that kind of weather.

f45392216ec00a6dd6ce8967c93b47ad.jpg

GREECE WITH PHOTOS - KATAKOLON

Katakolon is a small, charming port town. Unlike Santorini which is volcanic and arid, Katakolon looks to have trees and flowers.

Our goal here was to buy a birthday present for my wife, so we did not book an excursion. Tour busses were lined up by the gangway and we inferred most passengers were going to other places on the island. Indeed, we had the town of Katakolon practically to ourselves.

We found a quality jewelry shop, Nicolas Jewelry, air conditioned with comfortable seats. We were offered the Greek wine ouzo and instructed how to drink it. Sip a little to wet your lips and get the flavor, then drink and savor slowly. A little bite at first then delicious and refreshing.

We got a good deal on an 18K matching gold ring and bracelet with sapphires and diamonds for my wife's birthday. There is a superstition in the region that it's bad luck to let the first customer of the day walk out 7f5692c4878ffb197e0911d751cf9f59.jpga736f1c814ea221e437efb15e29e7fc1.jpgf519c3b5aabf06af730bf990a5572cd4.jpgwithout a purchase. My wife understands some Greek and heard the shop owner mention that superstion to his salesman.

GREEK CRUISE WITH PHOTOS - CONCLUSION

This was the best of the eight cruises we have had with RCI and Celebrity. The ship had been repainted, had new carpet and was spotless. Our balcony cabin 8650 was two decks above the lifeboats giving us an unobstructed view of the water.

Our cabin attendant, Carson, was the best we have had. So was our waiter, Remi, who had a standing joke with my wife, that if she liked the food he made it and if she didn't like it someone else did.

Our table mates from England, Canada and South Africa were funny, friendly and sociable. We enjoy meeting new people and sharing cruise experiences.

Food was good overall and we had the best prime rib we ever tasted. Also, loved the soft cone machine, which should be a requirement on every ship. We both gained about five pounds and now are starting our diets in anticipation of our next cruise.

Glad to answer any questions.

Thank you! Great pictures and happy birthday to your wife. What a wonderful gift! Going to the Greek Islands has been a dream of mine for years. Hopefully, that dream will come to full fruition soon.:)

The Jewel is our most frequently cruised ship. We love her! I can't wait to see her again after her refurb. We last sailed her less than a year ago on the Panama Canal transit before the refurb. She was beautiful even then.

I am so excited by your review! We are also doing the 9 night Jewel /greek Island cruise in October, 2017. I look forward to seeing more!

The only problem is that on my laptop the pictures are huge, which make them and the text impossible to read without shrinking the screen (which also makes the text hard to read). Do you think you could make them a bit smaller so the next page will be easier? On my phone they are fine, but I prefer the laptop.

Glad you like the review. I will resize the photos tomorrow in the small format and repost just the photos.

when you went to the Greek church, were you able to enter wearing shorts? I wasn't sure if needed slacks.

Thanks

No shorts or t shirts allowed. My wife wore a lightweight Summer dress below the knees. Slacks are fine too. Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by 2CatsInFlorida

I'm loving this review, we are doing almost the same cruise on Jewel next June

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

When you go bring lots of euros, if you plan to do much shopping. Many shops will not take US dollars or credit cards. Those that do will give you a better deal if you pay in euros.