Air Deviation - a few more questions

ccbee

I have been diligently following the posts regarding $99 Premium Economy Air Upgrade and earlier posts concerning ‘being satisfied with O’s air arrangements’. Lots of helpful info in both of these threads. Thanks to everyone who posted. I still am a little confused however.

This is my first O cruise, the April 10, 2017 to May 11, 2017 Miami to Rome cruise with $99 PE upgrade – 272 days in future. I have gone to http://matrix.itasoftware.com/ to check what flights are available from Rome to Phoenix. Most of them are 10:35 or earlier and I am afraid these are what O may assign me and then I’d be a nervous wreck worrying about missing the flight if the ship was delayed. Same with the flight from Phoenix to Miami.

I therefore have decided to take the Air Deviation and arrive a day early in Miami and leave a day later from Rome. When checking the flights I found on the matrix with the actual airline site, most of them don’t show up or show the PE class not available on planes it should be available. Could this be because O has reserved most of the seats?

I finally picked out some flights I did like and sent an email to my travel agent with the info. She replied that it was still too early to arrange air deviation – must wait til 9 months before. It will be 270 days this Wednesday or is the 270 days counted from the return Rome flight which wouldn’t be until August 13.

I have seen some Alitalia flights for around $1800 per person and some BA flights for around $2300 per person. All of the others I saw were over $4000 so would think I shouldn’t even bother asking about these.

Maggie.1008, I am really interested in the one-way leg Rome-London-LAX then Phoenix of the BA flight you mentioned. I thought the price looked a little high even to try and ask for but you have given me hope. The only problem I saw was you could only select seats 24 hours in advance. You mentioned you could pay to pick them in advance. Do you know how much this was and did you have to pay for you ticket at that time too or could you wait for final payment.

They count the 270 days from the date of your return flight.

Believe it is 270 days from the date of your departure. Flights generally show up on the airlines at 330 days thus subtracting 60 days for the date of departure allows returns after 60 days to be booked at the same time. Check with Oceania to be sure but, I know at least on Regent if was from departure and air is very similar to Oceania with the exception of the cost of the business class upgrade.

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll just have to wait another 31 days for the Air Deviation to kick in. Will be very relieved when this portion of the cruise planning is done.

LHt28 - Thx for looking up some flights - AA, UA, and KLM do not have a real Premium Economy in a separate section so I was kind of avoiding them. Figured If I was going to pay for Deviation might as well get the best I could.

Am really hoping for the BA flight but since there are only 24 seats in PE want to make sure I request it as soon as I can.

Flo

LHt28 - Thx for looking up some flights - AA, UA, and KLM do not have a real Premium Economy in a separate section so I was kind of avoiding them. Figured If I was going to pay for Deviation might as well get the best I could.

Am really hoping for the BA flight but since there are only 24 seats in PE want to make sure I request it as soon as I can.

Flo

I guess it depends on the aircraft

we have flown KLM in PE & although it is only separated by a curtain PE was separate from Econ on our flights

Good luck

not many flights from FCO to the USA maybe check Alitalia :confused:

A few things to consider that I have learned through the years.

1. Some of the international carriers start booking flights at 365 days out not 330 days as US carriers do.

2. The number of true PE seats on many of the planes are very limited. These seats can often sell out far faster than Business or economy.

3. The flights you are looking at now at 270 days out may well be already sold out of PE seats.

4. UA and AA do not list separately PE seats on their alliance partners flights. They list them lumped in with economy seating and will not allow you to book the PE seats on their system. To see what is actually available, you must go to the specific airlines website.

Last year, going to Australia on Qantus, Qantus, sold out all of its PE seats, on the flights we wanted, between the release date 365 days out and 340 days out. We booked the seats directly with Qantus, and then had to do separate tickets later to Dallas on AA, since you can't book the US legs until 330 days out. Had we waited for the US flight portions to open up, we would not have gotten PE seats!

If you find those seats available, you'd better jump. They may not be there at return flight date plus 270 days. The PE upgrade may then only be a seat with additional legroom on an aisle instead of true P.E.

Since these $99 PE promotions are to/from Europe -- the O website states---

"We use the finest world carriers such as British Airways, Virgin Atlantic, Air France, Scandinavian Airlines, Air Canada and Icelandair. "

US Carriers are not on the list (since none have implemented a trues PE yet -- though AA and DL plan to).

I would stay away from Iceland Air -- their PE is a simply an empty seat next you. Seat width and pitch are same, plus you are flying in a 757 cigar.

O has also used LH in the past which is not bad. We have done VS many times in PE and it is my preferred choice.

Edited by PaulMCO

We have travelled with "O" many times and have used their air arrangements. We have found that the air credit from "O" is less than what you can arrange your own air.

The biggest feature in using "O" air is that you are protected.

We are on the same cruise, Miami to Lisbon to Rome. We are using "O" air round trip. The ship will arrive May 11 with plenty of time to catch the flight home.

We have travelled with "O" many times and have used their air arrangements. We have found that the air credit from "O" is less than what you can arrange your own air.

We are on the same cruise, Miami to Lisbon to Rome. We are using "O" air round trip. The ship will arrive May 11 with plenty of time to catch the flight home.

Protected from of for what???

From missing the ship on the day of departure and the return flight home.

Thanks for the quick reply. Think you need to read the Oceania Terms and Conditions very carefully. They clearly state that Oceania is only acting as a conduit for you to the airlines in purchasing your ticket for you and are not responsible for any actions/inactions by the airlines and that it is ultimately your responsibility to get to the ship and home. That said, there have been times where Oceania did step in and take care of issues with the airlines and got you to the ship and/or home at their costs but, there is no guarantee that will occur and you could be on your own if you have issues and have to work with the airlines yourself and possibly pay additional costs involved.

While the initial O air credit may be lower than the economy fare you'd pay on your own, remember that, if you plan to spend extra pre/post cruise days abroad, you'll have to pay the air deviation AND any price difference in the new ticket. In addition, depending on the airline, you may not be able to upgrade to business class using FF points with an O fare. Note as well that the choicest seats will be long gone when you get yours.

And because O's fares are in a group category, you are most likely at the top of the list when it comes to an oversell situation that results in mandatory "bumping."

Even then, depending on the airline, it's loyalty program and the rules of any airline affinity credit card, you may not be able to earn bonus points or get free checked bags (for purchasing the tix with that card) if you book through O.

In the final analysis, whether to take the tix or the credit can vary from cruise to cruise. For example, we'll soon do O's SF to NY via Panama Canal. Because we live in SF, we only need the return flight after several extra days in NYC. We have a direct United flight back at cheaper cost than O credit (even without adding deviation), upgraded with points to Business Class and we get bonus purchase points for United air tix bought with United card, no baggage fees, etc.

BTW, as was asked by another poster on this thread: "protected from what?" If your O arranged flight is significantly delayed/bumped/canceled, that ship is not necessarily waiting for you. O may assist with some expenses to catch up (if possible, given certain itineraries) . But, so will a good comprehensive travel insurance policy (or even just the travel protection provided by a "travel savvy" credit card.

When choosing credit instead of O's flights, how do you receive the credit? Is it OBC?

No, it is as it should be, a reduction in the amount you pay for the cruise so your final payment will be less. You should receive a revised invoice showing the reduction.

When choosing credit instead of O's flights, how do you receive the credit? Is it OBC?

There are two cruise prices: with air and without. If you start to do a mock booking you get to a choice of airfare/no airfare. The price difference is the "air credit."

There are two cruise prices: with air and without. If you start to do a mock booking you get to a choice of airfare/no airfare. The price difference is the "air credit."

At what point does it become more prudent to suggest that the person to use a Travel Agent?

There are at least ten variables which should be considered before deciding how to book the Air, intelligently.

A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing. :o

At what point does it become more prudent to suggest that the person to use a Travel Agent?

There are at least ten variables which should be considered before deciding how to book the Air, intelligently.

A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing. :o

Of course there are many variables to consider with air travel. However, IMO, when to use a TA for air really depends on how savvy is a traveler (I'm talking mainly about people who have commuted and/or relied heavily on air for work over significant stretches of time).

Many folks on CC know how to use ITA software (available also as an app). It's a good place for an initial comparison of O air credit to prevailing economy fares.

While I use an O connoisseurs club TA for the cruise booking (solely for the TA perks and representation if there ever is an issue or need for price match, etc.), I would usually only ask for assistance with air arrangements, if it was a truly complicated routing challenge (like searching ITA or calling a major airline member of a big air alliance, e.g., United or Lufthansa in Star Alliance, only to be told "you can't get there from here."). Nonetheless, I do keep my eye on travel deal search sites like "exitfares" just to stay sharp.

One of the real challenges with air is value vs routing. We recently did SFO to Lihue direct for a price that was $100 more than the cheapest price because it avoided connecting in Honolulu. Also, if you're intent on traveling business class and FF points are in the mix, DIY reigns supreme. (Even here though, a call to the airline for alternatives that save money/points may be in order. To save any ticketing by phone charge, explain that the website wouldn't let you get the tricky combination. BTW, not every way of getting from A to B is necessarily listed.)

We once traded cruises relatively last minute and due to a commitment, the only outgoing flight available was on Alitalia. This was in 2011, and the seats were so old they still had ashtrays in the armrests. Most uncomfortable flight ever. Absolutely no padding in the seats. I will stay home before I fly on them again.

Same with KLM. That was a nightmare experience I will also never voluntarily subject myself to again.

Forewarned is forearmed.....

Mo

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by potterhill

Same with KLM. That was a nightmare experience I will also never voluntarily subject myself to again.

Forewarned is forearmed.....

Mo

I like KLM we usually fly PE or 1st if we can afford it the seats were fine

Mind you when we did 1st the last time the seats did not fully lie flat so I kept sliding down when trying to sleep

I agree with Alitalia ..I would avoid them

Lyn