Tipping in general - all cruise lines

I hope tips and gratuities work similar on most cruise lines so this is my question. We have 4 up coming cruises on 4 different lines so hope so.

If we give extra money directly to our room steward and MDR servers, (In their hands) do they get to keep it? I read where someone says they have to put in the group pool where the daily gratuities go.

I hope tips and gratuities work similar on most cruise lines so this is my question. We have 4 up coming cruises on 4 different lines so hope so.

If we give extra money directly to our room steward and MDR servers, (In their hands) do they get to keep it? I read where someone says they have to put in the group pool where the daily gratuities go.

Generally if you pay the automatic Daily Service Charge or Whatever They Call It, any cash tips you pay that person gets to keep it. If the server splits it with someone else, like they do on land restaurants, then that's between them and not of your concern.

If you do not pay the daily gratuities then it's reported/assumed that any cash tips will have to go into the group pool. How that's enforced nobody here knows for sure. Even when some CC members who where former or current ship crew tells us what's done, others here will still not believe them.

Bottom line, IMO: Do what you want to do and do not be concerned on what the crew does with their tips. :cool:

We leave the auto-grats in place. IMHO many of the crew are happy with it. If they weren't there wouldn't be many crew with many years of service.

Edited by SadieN

Too general a question. Suggest posting on the specific boards of the lines you are using. Also, are you talking about "extra tips" - daily gratuities are often billed directly to your account. If you wish to remove those gratuities you have to normally give a reason and talk to guest services.

As an example, on RC dining room staff work in all locations so your tip covers all dining venues, not just the MDR.

Yes.

Keith

Just to clearify - we HAVE NOT and/or DO NOT plan to remove the daily amounts added to the account. Just curious on the EXTRA amount that we give straight in the hands of the ones we do know work their behinds off.

So far we have been happy with the service we'vd received on all cruises. Enough that we have 6 booked at present.

Thanks

The issue of tipping can be highly personal decision and how it is handled can depend not only on the line, but also on your dining choices. For example, on Celebrity, if you choose "select" dining (ie, eat at your own time, not a designated seating), you are forced to pre pay gratuities and those are split between Dining room and cabin stewards. Drink charges also usually contain a set gratuity. Here is a link to an article on the Board that discusses some of the issues.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=132

That being said, I'd be remiss if I didn't make a plea on behalf of the cruise ship staff. If you can afford it, bring extra money for tips above and beyond the daily gratuity and give it out as warranted. Essentially, the hospitality staff of a Cruise ship live off of the tips they are given. And, considering the effort that they make to provide us with great service, we should reciprocate with a little extra when we can afford it.

Besides, a little personal tipping goes a long way to ensuring you get top notch service. Tipping a bartender or waiter in a crowded bar is a good way to make sure they keep an eye on you.

Just to clearify - we HAVE NOT and/or DO NOT plan to remove the daily amounts added to the account. Just curious on the EXTRA amount that we give straight in the hands of the ones we do know work their behinds off.

So far we have been happy with the service we'vd received on all cruises. Enough that we have 6 booked at present.

Thanks

Thanks for clarifying. I wasn't sure which way to understand your question - so many people want to just tip those they see, and not the "rest."

To answer your question, to the best I can, I always tip servers in the diamond/concierge lounge and have seen them put the cash in a large jar behind the bar; not sure how it works with other staff.

Of COURSE they will keep it! Who know you gave them something? Into their pocket it will go, I GUARANTEE it!

The included tips are sufficient, tho....there's no need to tip additionally, unless someone goes "above and beyond"!

The daily tips are divided among the cabin attendant, waitstaff, and a bit to the "behind the scenes" folks. You can figure the cabin attendant is getting somewhere around $4 pp per night.....or thereabouts. That's about common for housekeeping staff in a hotel.

Edited by cb at sea

I'm not sure anyone here really knows, many will claim to know.

I have seen a Princess contract that says all cash goes into the pool, the contract doesn't say what happens with it thereafter some say it is just shared, others say if you have left the auto tips on it is returned.

Like much legislation and many contracts I suspect it has been left deliberately vague.

I have been on 2 cruises in the past 8 months .on one cruise my Cabin Steward was the best of every cruise i had been on . I tipped an amount that I believe was generous and told him that I was booking the same cabin again in the hope that he would be the Steward again .

On the second cruise the Cabin Steward was the worst ever and I did not tip him.

EXTRA tips are allowed to be kept. I don't know of any cruise line that requires EXTRA tips to be turned in.

There are always going to be people who say "leave the auto-gratuities in place and that is enough". I agree with the poster above who said, if you can afford it, bring extra cash to recognize those that make your cruise a very pleasant experience.

Yes, there are long time employees among the crew, but they could be there in spite of those who don't tip extra, instead of just being happy with the auto-gratuity minimum! Just because some people don't tip extra doesn't mean the majority of us don't! Maybe we are the ones responsible for their long-time cruising careers!

Enjoy your upcoming cruises!