How necessary are reservations for MDR on Escape?

LMaxwell

We tend to eat on the earlier side (6:30 or earlier). Does not matter much to me which MDR we are going to on the Escape as they all have the same menu. I read comments from you don't need reservations at all, to you will never get in without them. What's the scoop?

Unless you have a large party you should be fine, especially given your flexibility. We're not on the Escape until the end of August, but we didn't have any reservations on the Getaway last summer and were seated quickly each time.

In addition to the main dining rooms you'll have to options of OSheehan's and the buffet, so lots of flexibility.

Edited by Nola26

Unless you have a large party you should be fine, especially given your flexibility. We're not on the Escape until the end of August, but we didn't have any reservations on the Getaway last summer and were seated quickly each time.

Thanks. Yes, we're flexible. I know 7-8pm is usually pretty hot so we try to avoid going then. I don't mind a short wait, but would have a problem if we were turned away altogether.

We never waited for a table at the MDR of our choosing, whether we arrived early or late. The longest we stood in line to be seated was 10 minutes once when the theater let out. This was the same on both our Escape sailings.

We never had a reservation on the Escape in March. We only had to wait about 10 min when we had a table of 9. So that wasn't an issue. (We walked in twice with a table of 5)

Also, my brother and sister in law, walked into Food Republic at least twice without a reservation. (along with the Tapas restaurant, cant remember the name)

People with reservations are given priority seating. The wait for walk-ins is usually short (may be 10-15 minutes during peak dining times).

This is true in the specialty restaurants, but I was not aware there was a seperate check in line for "reservations" at the MDR. Is there? I had recently read here that those with reservations line up behind everyone else who got there ahead of you, and when you reach the hostess, you are seated right after the person in front of you who had no reservation.;). So I'm not really sure a reservation gives you any advantage at all if it is basically seating available to anyone as quickly as the hostess can walk people to tables. Really, why "jump the line" when it is a minimal wait.

Depending on timing, you may walk straight to the podium, or you may wait a minute or two. If you can't be bothered by a few minutes wait, just walk to Taste or Savor which will be half empty. Why tie yourself to a schedule by a reservation when there's no need to.

We never made reservations for the MDR on either of our Escape cruises, and only one time in January did we have to wait for about 10 minutes. The Mixx bar is between Taste and Savor, so we enjoyed a drink before dinner there. :) Can't recall if there's a bar outside the Manhattan room.

We tend to eat on the earlier side (6:30 or earlier). Does not matter much to me which MDR we are going to on the Escape as they all have the same menu. I read comments from you don't need reservations at all, to you will never get in without them. What's the scoop?

You do not need reservations, especially eating that early unless you have a party of more than six.