Problem with SBP promo!

rosey123

Just returned from our first cruise with Holland America. My husband and I have cruised most of the major lines since the 70's. This was on the Zudierdam from Copenhagen. I'll post my review of the ship separately.

I booked last Jan from an online agency and received a $525 obc. Part of this was from HA. The cabin I prefered was not available but opened up in late Feb. When I called I was offered a new promotion (Travel Zoo) that offered the SBP & $325 obc. I accepted and received a new invoice. Shortly before final payment my category dropped. I called my agent and he said they would honor price drop. I questioned if this would affect my promo. While I was on hold, he contacted Holland America and they said the promo would stay the same. I called a few days later to make final payment and was sent final invoice.

On the second day of the cruise I dropped off an obc gift card at front desk. I just happen to ask how the bev. pkg worked. I was informed it was not added to my account. Later I showed my final invoice and they said that had to contact corporate. Late the next day I was informed they had made an error and SBP was not going to be honored.

The next day I contacted my agent and they also confirmed an error had been made.

After questioning whos error it was put on hold for several days. On the 8th day I was informed by email from my agent that it would now be added to account.

I had been in contact with three different people from the front desk. I never received any communication from them after the first refusal to honor the agreement. I was told paperwork had no relevance.

My husband and I are not big drinkers, but we would have had quite a surprise on last day had I not checked account on second day.

So for approximately $250, Holland America lost two customers!

I have never heard of Travel Zoo.

But -- reading many posts here, lots of people have reported that after final payment has been made, if there is a price drop and you want it -- you will lose Promo offers like the Explore4 program, Beverage packages, etc.

Sorry you had a bad experience.

Travelzoo.com is awesome. they send out a list each Wednesday of the top 10 travel promotions for the week. (it is not an agency. It gathers the best deals of the week for travel and emails them. Like deals.kinja.com for pretty much everything except travel, but theirs is daily.

Edited by alwaysfrantic

So sorry for the confusion and disappointment. So the way to prevent this next time is to be sure your agency gives you a written summary every time there is a change in your booking. It should be something they can generate instantly and send to you as a PDF by email. Then you can probe for omissions and clarify. If your agency confirms in writing, you should then expect them to honor a promo.

The big box agency we work with does this written confirmation without our asking.

This happened before final payment in March. Travel Zoo promotion was printed on my invoice. Holland America had over three months to let me know an error had been made. I was offered an upsell three times before cruise and was told promotion would stay the same.

We ran into a similar problem a couple of years ago. We simply kept the receipts for all of the drinks that would have been covered by the beverage package and presented them to our TA upon our return, along with a demand for reimbursement. In cases such as this, I hold the TA responsible, not the cruise line. It would be a different story had I booked directly with the line, but TA's get paid to prevent surprises and to make sure that all the ins and outs of bookings and reboookings are taken care of.

The agency reimbursed us in full. We remain with them, although we decided to switch agents. We also continue to cruise with the line in question.

Just returned from our first cruise with Holland America. My husband and I have cruised most of the major lines since the 70's. This was on the Zudierdam from Copenhagen. I'll post my review of the ship separately.

I booked last Jan from an online agency and received a $525 obc. Part of this was from HA. The cabin I prefered was not available but opened up in late Feb. When I called I was offered a new promotion (Travel Zoo) that offered the SBP & $325 obc. I accepted and received a new invoice. Shortly before final payment my category dropped. I called my agent and he said they would honor price drop. I questioned if this would affect my promo. While I was on hold, he contacted Holland America and they said the promo would stay the same. I called a few days later to make final payment and was sent final invoice.

On the second day of the cruise I dropped off an obc gift card at front desk. I just happen to ask how the bev. pkg worked. I was informed it was not added to my account. Later I showed my final invoice and they said that had to contact corporate. Late the next day I was informed they had made an error and SBP was not going to be honored.

The next day I contacted my agent and they also confirmed an error had been made.

After questioning whos error it was put on hold for several days. On the 8th day I was informed by email from my agent that it would now be added to account.

I had been in contact with three different people from the front desk. I never received any communication from them after the first refusal to honor the agreement. I was told paperwork had no relevance.

My husband and I are not big drinkers, but we would have had quite a surprise on last day had I not checked account on second day.

So for approximately $250, Holland America lost two customers!

Why did HAL lose you? You said you actually DID get the promo AND the price drop after final payment. Sounds like they did you a favor?

After reading, it sounded to me like the beverage package wasn't honoured.

That is not HAL but switching promos and a TA somewhere not disclosing IMO.

Usually when there is a promo, you use the other stuff. My friend found that out the hard way with a change for a better price and promo and lost the"good stuff". Her TA didn't tell her until it was too late.

Usually when there is a promo, you use the other stuff. My friend found that out the hard way with a change for a better price and promo and lost the"good stuff". Her TA didn't tell her until it was too late.

This is where being a cruise critic addict comes into play....you find about all this!

Why did HAL lose you? You said you actually DID get the promo AND the price drop after final payment. Sounds like they did you a favor?

I also blame the travel Agent for this not HAL.. It is his/her responsibility to make sure that the OBC was honored before they changed the fare & if it could not be honored the Travel Agent should have informed the Psgr.. OBC's are often lost if a fare has dropped & good Travel Agent knows this..

I was on the phone when my agent confirmed with HAL that promotion would stay the same! Had my agent not pushed for promotion, they would not have honored it, even with a copy of the final invoice. I feel this was Holland Americas error. The way it was handled by front desk, with no apology, just a flat out NO is the reason we won't consider sailing with them again.

I was on the phone when my agent confirmed with HAL that promotion would stay the same! Had my agent not pushed for promotion, they would not have honored it, even with a copy of the final invoice. I feel this was Holland Americas error. The way it was handled by front desk, with no apology, just a flat out NO is the reason we won't consider sailing with them again.

It was clear to me from your original post that this was a HAL error. You had stated that HAL responded that it was a mistake for you to have the beverage package. Very clear to me. :) The frustration that you experienced in trying to rectify this situation on board would be enough for me to never sail with the line either.

My HAL online itinerary for August lists OBC gifted by my family as items on embarkation day. Would HAL gifted items be listed there as well? Ship excursions are included day by day also. I always bring this list with me as a guarantee of receipt.

My HAL online itinerary for August lists OBC gifted by my family as items on embarkation day. Would HAL gifted items be listed there as well? Ship excursions are included day by day also. I always bring this list with me as a guarantee of receipt.

Hi. On my day to day we also see anything we have purchased directly from HAL, for instance shore excursions or diner reservations, we only see the promotional perks like the Beverage Card or OBC on the receipt that we receive from our Travel Agent. He always lists all the perks that either he or HAL has given us.

Yes, it is always good to bring all the paperwork that has information on it with you. Have a great cruise.

Always get a copy of your booking. Many agencies will give you a generic copy so be sure that your booking shows a detailed list of the promos attached to your booking. If it doesn't ask for one. If you make changes, ask for a new booking with details included.

Edited by JudithLynne