Epic/Europe Terror Threat -- are you worried?

mal&jason

We will be on the Epic in September. After today's attack in Nice, is anyone else worried about being in the south of France (or Barcelona/Italy for that matter)? Part of me is and part of me isn't. What are YOUR thoughts?

Great time to be in Europe!! The Euro is cheap so you can almost buy at par to the U.S. dollar. (at this time its $1.11 to 1 Euro)

Can't let things that are out of your control bother you. My crazy Aunt wouldn't come up to visit us for Xmas 2001 and my Dad read her the riot act about how their mother didn't raise any scaredy cats. Something must have hit a nerve because she did fly up and we had the most wonderful holiday season that year.

Don't let terrorism fears rule your life, you only let the terrorists succeed then.

We will be on the Epic in September. After today's attack in Nice, is anyone else worried about being in the south of France (or Barcelona/Italy for that matter)? Part of me is and part of me isn't. What are YOUR thoughts?

We already cancelled a 16 day cruise this year that was in Europe....but then I decided that this was just being silly.,...and booked another one for April of 2017!

But truly in the back of my mind I wonder if just doing the Caribbean just ONE more time might not be a better choice....

I do not think that we will cancel again.....as the previous posters have stated, you cannot live in fear. So I truly plan to complete the 2017 cruise to Europe......and also wonder if the "safer" itineraries such as the Caribbean will go up in price? As the Europe trips sure seem like a sweet deal....

I am a bit concerned but usually I am not. I am booked on the epic for June 2016 but I'm going to wait and watch. I don't think I would be worried but we are planning a lot of land based in France via train precruise.

Our daughter booked a trip to Turkey, and I am worried a little bit after the terrorist attacks in that country , so I spoke with her and asked if she is sure about this trip.

She said; do you cancel your trip to Miami after what happend in Florida a few weeks ago ?

The answer is No ! I don,t want terrorism to rule my life

My thoughts are with the people in Nice [emoji632]

Edited by jolgro

An attack could happen anywhere. I would still go to New York, I would still go to London, I would still go to France, I would still go to Belgium, I would still go to Orlando ...

We just need to be thankful and live life to the fullest.

If you cancel the terrorists win. Don't let them achieve their aims.

The chance of being affected by terrorism is slim wherever you go. It is probably more likely that you will get killed by a DUA a few yards from home or work.

Yes, there is always going to be a small voice of concern, but for me that is the same one that says: "watch out for pick pockets or muggers". Or, in our case this year: "watch out for the rogue grizzly bear on your guided nature walk in Alaska!"

My heart goes out to those innocents so cruelly cut down in Nice. Shame on the perpetrator(s) - what is wrong with you people?!

I agree with most who've commented here. I love to travel and I don't plan to stop because of these attacks. I spent five days in Barcelona before my cruise in March. I'd planned to go to Paris for a couple days but after the attacks there my daughter begged me to cancel that part of the trip. I did cancel, but I did it for her so she wouldn't be so worried about me. I ended up absolutely loving Barcelona, so I'll go to Paris another time. My girl has gotten used to the idea that her mother's going to travel regardless. I travel solo and that worries my kids, but it certainly doesn't worry me! :D

I left for a study abroad in Paris shortly after 9/11. In the days leading up to the trip, I was in a state of panic, fully convinced that I was going to die on my way there. But I told myself that if I didn't get on the plane and go and the plane did make it there safely (as was highly likely), I would always regret it.

I feel the same about traveling now. If I based my decisions on fear now, I will almost certainly live long enough to regret not seeing the world when I had the chance. I almost feel like traveling has become a moral imperative now so that the sick, misguided people who have been carrying out these attacks will know that they are not winning.

We can't let the terrorists win!:mad:

If they prevent us from doing what we love to do, they have won.

Live your life, travel, meet new people, enjoy your cruise and the beautiful countries you visit.

honestly, as a Canadian, I'm more worried about traveling in the USA than in Europe... because statistically, thats where I'm more likely to be killed.

so, truth be told, cruising out of Florida makes me way more nervous than any of the ports I've been to overseas.

but, I still travel, I'm just more vigilant when I leave my home country.

I have lived overseas for 9 years, with 5 years in Saudi Arabia and 4 in Germany. Also, I have been to 70 countries not counting the ones that no longer exist.

Terrorism has been around for many years, going back to the turn of the 19th Century when Anarchists were killing people.

We lived through terror attacks by the Bader Meinhof group that was sponsored by the Stazi and Soviet KGB as well as several PLO terrorist groups.

Times have changed and the Soviet Union is no more as well as the Stasi. Yes, the Russians are sending in trained troops to occupy part of Ukraine. The PLO is no longer the terror that it was, especially compared to Hamas, Hizbollah, ISIS and Al Qaeda.

Before you cancel all your travel plans, analyze the places that you want to go.

People are still going to Egypt where they are guarded with squads with automatic weapons. Still, terrorists are targeting tourist there and there is a risk. I have been to Egypt twice and wanted to go back and show my DW the ancient beauties of the country. While the risk is not huge, the risk is higher than we would like.

Turkey seems to be moving in the same direction, with ISIS targeting tourists. You could go there and percentage wise probably do fine, but the risks are definitely higher.

OK, Crimea, Western Ukraine, Syria, Iraq, Egypt and Turkey have some degree of risk from high to modest.

There are places in the World where the risk is minuscule or practically non-existent.

East Asia, China, Japan, SE Asia all look great with little of no risk.

So far Australia and NZ have experienced little terror.

My Son is going on an African Safari in South Africa and more and that looks fairly safe.

I would argue that Europe is overall relatively safe. We were in Portugal a few months ago and I would rate it a very low risk.

Even the countries like Belgium and France, where terror attacks have taken place are not necessarily high risk. If you plan to ski in the Alps, the risk doesn't seem high. Joining a crowd celebrating anything would seem to attract more risk.

Visiting the Lourve in Paris, Prado in Madrid or Picasso Museum in Barcelona or Madrid probably would be low risk.

Taking a tour of Iceland or Ireland would not likely be risky. Also, a north cape cruise of Norway would not as well.

Still, take a look at what you have planned for your trip. Are you planning to be in places that are targets of attack? It is always hard to tell, but laying on the beach in Mykonos doesn't seem to be a problem. Yes, you will be going through airports and train stations, which have been attacked by terrorist in Europe. However, your time there will be limited.

Lightening can strike, but what is the risk.

I would not recommend visiting suburban areas of Paris (the north and east), but that doesn't make Paris unvisitable.

Weigh the risks as best as you can and decide if you want to take the risk. Life is full of risks and probably the most dangerous thing you do is driving on the highway, which most of us do every day. Yet we still do it, since we have to live.

Pay more attention to home-grown threats everyday and not so much CBRN and even man-made ones, DWI's and DUI's and lately - the other urban terror - those Pokermon hunters on the prowl, jaywalking in our neighborhood - well, majority of CC don't fit the profile, but ...

Meanwhile, think "Zita" and get educated.

It won't stop me travelling. There are risks with everything you do! I've been to Turkey, so don't need to go there again, but I love visiting Europe, particularly when it's Summer there (Winter here). There is so much to see and do and getting around is so easy with their great public transport system.

There is a coup going on right now in Turkey as I watch the news. Didn't some of those Turkish port visits already get cancelled anyway?

NCL canceled Turkish ports many months ago. I think celebrity, Hal and rcl still have calls scheduled.

NCL canceled Turkish ports many months ago. I think celebrity, Hal and rcl still have calls scheduled.

Anyone know if any cruise ships are in port there (Istanbul), or about to arrive (probably wouldn't now, of course).

The airport closed a while ago.