Military coup in Turkey

It appears to be more successful than not. Would you want to go now anyway?

I think the info is still vague as to what is going on to determine whether its successful or not. I hope for the people of Turkey it is not.

As to whether I want to still go there, I don't face that decision for a year on our Prinsendam cruise. I do find it curious that unrest and terror attacks in Turkey seem to quickly bring out comments to not go yet Isreal and France do not.

I think the info is still vague as to what is going on to determine whether its successful or not. I hope for the people of Turkey it is not.

As to whether I want to still go there, I don't face that decision for a year on our Prinsendam cruise. I do find it curious that unrest and terror attacks in Turkey seem to quickly bring out comments to not go yet Isreal and France do not.

I think the word is illusional.

The Turkish military is not only very well trained and disciplined,they are also the countries Watchdog to ensure secularism, democracy and the values of Ataturk are upheld by the government.

I am fairly certain that this military intervention is successful.

Erdogan has been eroding secularity of the Turkish state. That is a fact and a source of concern by its allies.

I wish the Turkish people strength, faith in their country and belief in the values of Mustapha Kamal Ataturk.

The Turkish military is not only very well trained and disciplined,they are also the countries Watchdog to ensure secularism, democracy and the values of Ataturk are upheld by the government.

Erdogan has been eroding secularity of the Turkish state. That is a fact and a source of concern by its allies.

I wish the Turkish people strength, faith in their country and belief in the values of Mustapha Kamal Ataturk.

Waggish British traveler Richard Percival Lister once wrote: "Ataturk took Turkey to the brink of the 20th Century, where it has been hovering ever since."

(From: A Muezzin from the Tower of Darkness Cries)

Edited by OlsSalt

I was stationed in Ankara for a year, 1981-1982. The Turkish military was successful with a coup in early 1981, before I arrived. I was told that the Turkish constitution permits such coups when the military believes that the elected government are not acting in a manner that serves the best interests of the nation. The military installed martial law for a while and we still had nighttime curfews my entire year there. However, the military then, stepped back and allowed elections again, to restore the normal governmental institutions to resume. So, there is precedent for this coup, whether it is successful or not.

In my opinion, having worked with officers at the Turkish General Staff (their equivalent to our Pentagon), that the military really did have the best interests of Turkey in mind. Turkey is a NATO member and I am personally glad that they are, even with the differences we had. In recent years, I have become concerned about the Turkish leadership's trend to minimize the secular role of government.

I hope that this will be a peaceful coup attempt and if successful, I also hope that the Turkish military will do what needs to be done to deal with ISIS. I found the Turkish people to display great warmth toward us both on the job and socially, as well.

Agree 100%

I was stationed in Ankara for a year, 1981-1982. The Turkish military was successful with a coup in early 1981, before I arrived. I was told that the Turkish constitution permits such coups when the military believes that the elected government are not acting in a manner that serves the best interests of the nation. The military installed martial law for a while and we still had nighttime curfews my entire year there. However, the military then, stepped back and allowed elections again, to restore the normal governmental institutions to resume. So, there is precedent for this coup, whether it is successful or not.

In my opinion, having worked with officers at the Turkish General Staff (their equivalent to our Pentagon), that the military really did have the best interests of Turkey in mind. Turkey is a NATO member and I am personally glad that they are, even with the differences we had. In recent years, I have become concerned about the Turkish leadership's trend to minimize the secular role of government.

I hope that this will be a peaceful coup attempt and if successful, I also hope that the Turkish military will do what needs to be done to deal with ISIS. I found the Turkish people to display great warmth toward us both on the job and socially, as well.

Yes, I too agree 100%!

For any of you on the July 17 sailing on Eurodam out of Venice, just got this:

---

We appreciate your choosing to sail with us on booking aboard the July 17, 2016 ms Eurodam sailing.

After a thorough review in light of the recent tragic attack at Istanbul Ataturk Airport, Holland America Line has decided to cancel our port call in Istanbul on this sailing. In order to accommodate this change we will also cancel our call to Mytilene, Nisos Lesbos, Greece. However, we are pleased to add new calls to three charming ports in Greece. The revised portion of our itinerary for this sailing is as follows:

Day Date Port Arrive Depart

Thu Jul 21 Piraeus (Athens), Greece 08:00 18:00

Fri Jul 22 Mykonos, Nisos Mykonos, Greece 08:00 18:00

Sat Jul 23 Kusadasi (Ephesus), Turkey 07:00 18:00

Sun Jul 24 Rhodes, Nisos Rhodos, Greece 08:00 18:00

Mon Jul 25 Iraklion, Crete, Greece 08:00 17:00

The rest of the itinerary remains the same. Any Journeys Ashore booked through Holland America Line for the cancelled ports will be refunded to your onboard account, and additional excursions for our new ports will be available to book on board.

When we create itineraries we look forward to taking our guests to the destinations they expect to visit. And when unexpected events occur we review all aspects of the situation prior to making a decision to change our itinerary. We share in our guests’ disappointment with such changes, but the safety of our guests and crew is our highest priority. Nonetheless, we appreciate your understanding.

We look forward to welcoming you aboard soon.

Kind regards,

Holland America Line

---

Creepily, this was sent a few hours before I saw the first posts about the Istanbul coup on BBC.

For any of you on the July 17 sailing on Eurodam out of Venice, just got this:

---

We appreciate your choosing to sail with us on booking aboard the July 17, 2016 ms Eurodam sailing.

After a thorough review in light of the recent tragic attack at Istanbul Ataturk Airport, Holland America Line has decided to cancel our port call in Istanbul on this sailing. In order to accommodate this change we will also cancel our call to Mytilene, Nisos Lesbos, Greece. However, we are pleased to add new calls to three charming ports in Greece. The revised portion of our itinerary for this sailing is as follows:

Day Date Port Arrive Depart

Thu Jul 21 Piraeus (Athens), Greece 08:00 18:00

Fri Jul 22 Mykonos, Nisos Mykonos, Greece 08:00 18:00

Sat Jul 23 Kusadasi (Ephesus), Turkey 07:00 18:00

Sun Jul 24 Rhodes, Nisos Rhodos, Greece 08:00 18:00

Mon Jul 25 Iraklion, Crete, Greece 08:00 17:00

The rest of the itinerary remains the same. Any Journeys Ashore booked through Holland America Line for the cancelled ports will be refunded to your onboard account, and additional excursions for our new ports will be available to book on board.

When we create itineraries we look forward to taking our guests to the destinations they expect to visit. And when unexpected events occur we review all aspects of the situation prior to making a decision to change our itinerary. We share in our guests’ disappointment with such changes, but the safety of our guests and crew is our highest priority. Nonetheless, we appreciate your understanding.

We look forward to welcoming you aboard soon.

Kind regards,

Holland America Line

---

Creepily, this was sent a few hours before I saw the first posts about the Istanbul coup on BBC.

I doubt the Kusadasi port will be maintained on that itinerary now.

Hi Bill; if this coup is successful, you'll see the Turkish military cross their border and enter Syria to deal with ISIS

We were grilling outside when this news broke and didn't hear about it until we sat down for dinner.

You are spot on!!

I would want to go to Turkey with their NATO trained military in charge a heck of a lot more than with present dictatorial and egomaniacal government. This may be a Good Thing.

Agree....

Shortest coup attempt in many, many years, that was.

Coup leaders shot down by jets, coup forced out of airport, and generals ordering troops to barracks.

Los of executions soon of the small group who tried this one. And turkey just got way more complicated (as if it wasn't already).

A look back at the Taxim Square riots back in 2013 shortly before our own visit to Istanbul on the Prinsendame in Sept 2013, seeds were planted for today's unfolding events.

Ergodan's heavy handed repression in 2013 of a civil demonstration to protect open space radicalized a new generation. An then there is the Gulan Movement both in the US and else where that is now coming in for blame too. Nothing is simple in the Middle East.

Shortest coup attempt in many, many years, that was.

Coup leaders shot down by jets, coup forced out of airport, and generals ordering troops to barracks.

Los of executions soon of the small group who tried this one. And turkey just got way more complicated (as if it wasn't already).

Unless they have different laws or remedies under whatever passes for their version of our Uniform Code of Military Justice there is no death penalty in Turkey. Of course that doesn't mean some might not do well trying to surrender to loyal members of the military.

Unless they have different laws or remedies under whatever passes for their version of our Uniform Code of Military Justice there is no death penalty in Turkey. Of course that doesn't mean some might not do well trying to surrender to loyal members of the military.

Considering Ergodan's has just removed 1200+ judges from office and has shoot to kill order for anyone involved n the failed coup, good luck.

He has weeded out opposition in the upper military ranks and is streaming control to a true totalitarian regime with heavy religious focus.

Turkey is headed the way of Egypt and now faster than ever.

Edited by sppunk

Considering Ergodan's has just removed 1200+ judges from office and has shoot to kill order for anyone involved n the failed coup, good luck.

He has weeded out opposition in the upper military ranks and is streaming control to a true totalitarian regime with heavy religious focus.

Turkey is headed the way of Egypt and now faster than ever.

2745 judges dismissed as of right now. arrest warrants for 140 Constitutional Court members and 48 members of the Council of State.

The whole scenario is unsustainable and the Turkish state wobbling on shaky ground.