Turkey

20pluscruises

It seems to be changing from minute to minute. Last I saw (about 30 mins. ago), the coup d'etat was just about put down.

I'm a pretty adventurous person, but I even wouldn't want to risk flying into IST now, even if they get the airport under control again.

Edited by DrivesLikeMario

I know our Reflection Mediterranean cruise for 2017 was changed just a day or two after the airport attack.

Originally they had us stopping in Ephesus but now we're going to Malta.

I'm sure Celebrity will be changing a lot more of their cruises here very quickly. Changing cruises that are already fully booked and set can't be easy though.

Edited by JCruise85

It seems to be changing from minute to minute. Last I saw (about 30 mins. ago), the coup d'etat was just about put down.

I'm a pretty adventurous person, but I even wouldn't want to risk flying into IST now, even if they get the airport under control again.

I had to stop following the news on Twitter (this summer is putting me into a black depression a la 9/11), but I got the impression the different factions were issuing press releases and trying to sound like they were in charge.

I emailed today although our cruise is a few weeks away.

I am sure Celebrity will make the right call- they have more to risk collectively than any one of us do individually.

Here is the response:

Hi Adele,

Thanks you for reaching out to us.

We are monitoring the events in Turkey. The safety of our guests and crew members is our top priority.

At this time, we have not made modifications to any upcoming sailings.

However, we are looking at alternative ports in case we need to change itineraries.

We will continue to closely monitor the changing situation in Turkey.

Should the decision by made to modify any upcoming itinerareis these will be communicated.

Warm regards,

Christina

Our cruise in 3 weeks stops in Bodrum and Kusadasi. I hope that they change the itinerary, as disappointing as it'll be to miss Ephesus. I just dont want to be going to Turkey at all at the moment :(

Our cruise in 3 weeks stops in Bodrum and Kusadasi. I hope that they change the itinerary, as disappointing as it'll be to miss Ephesus. I just dont want to be going to Turkey at all at the moment :(

On our first Celebrity cruise we should have gone to Egypt, but there were issues there and Celebrity, to their credit, acted very quickly and replaced a 2 day stay in Egypt with an additional day in Southern Israel and, ironically, Kusadasi. We were more than happy with them and I am sure that they will be keeping a check on things. Must admit, we are due in Kusadasi next August and would prefer Rhodes ... and that's over a year away !

Canada has posted an "avoid all travel to turkey" advisory.

A wise move. I have just checked some travel companies in the UK and they are still planning to take people who want to go. Seems ridiculous to me as they advice to anyone there is to stay indoors ! :confused:

Canada has posted an "avoid all travel to turkey" advisory.

Tourist charters from Western Europe to the Turkish beach towns and resorts were cancelled Saturday morning but are already resuming now. Companies such as TUI, Thomas Cook and others are all saying "it's business as usual" (except in Istanbul for now).

It's official. On the July 18 Reflection and was just notified by Celebrity that Kusadasi and Bodrum are off the itinerary. Now stopping at Rhodes (Greece) and Messina (Sicily).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are leaving on 29th July and haven't heard anything yet but already have your substitute ports on our itinerary. We are hoping they drop Kusadasi. If they don't we will stay on the ship. Shame as there is a great water park for the kids there but it is just not worth the risk. Our little people are too precious to gamble with. The country is unstable.

It's official. On the July 18 Reflection and was just notified by Celebrity that Kusadasi and Bodrum are off the itinerary. Now stopping at Rhodes (Greece) and Messina (Sicily).

If all of your ports are now in the EU, be aware that you are going to have to pay 20% or more VAT on purchases made on board.

You are correct. Just boarded the Reflection. We will be hit with a 22% Italian VAT as this is now an intra-EU cruise, but it does not apply to spa, bar and specialty restaurant services.

You are correct. Just boarded the Reflection. We will be hit with a 22% Italian VAT as this is now an intra-EU cruise, but it does not apply to spa, bar and specialty restaurant services.

That's good news for the bar and specialty restaurants. Especially the bar!!😆

Are you sure about that? How did you know?

We will be on an Equinox cruise leaving Barcelona on October 15 and was under the impression that the VAT will also apply to bars, restaurants and internet.

I remember reading on the boards that the Spanish ports tend to be more aggressive with the VAT, so maybe the rules are different out of Barcelona. You may want to check. As we are originating and ending in Civitavecchia, my understanding is that we are subject to the Italian VAT.

I was hoping that if our 8Aug cruise changes the itinerary to all EU ports, that Celebrity might throw in some OBC to cover the added tax. Seems fair since many people might actually only book cruises in which there is no VAT! I would assume that Celebrity will decide on port changes sooner than later.

Perhaps just a pipe dream about Celebrity covering the VAT!

• 2 weeks later...
I was hoping that if our 8Aug cruise changes the itinerary to all EU ports, that Celebrity might throw in some OBC to cover the added tax. Seems fair since many people might actually only book cruises in which there is no VAT! I would assume that Celebrity will decide on port changes sooner than later.

Perhaps just a pipe dream about Celebrity covering the VAT!

I'm on same cruise August 8th and up to now we are still going to turkey celebrity are monitoring the situation closely Jewel of the seas was in KUSADASI yesterday.

Talked to the bartenders on the Reflection tonight (last night of our 11 day leaving 7/18)...they still don't know if they are going to Kusadasi on the next 10 day cruise leaving tomorrow. They said they will be notified in the morning.

I'm on same cruise August 8th and up to now we are still going to turkey celebrity are monitoring the situation closely Jewel of the seas was in KUSADASI yesterday.

And Vision the day before. I'm on the same sailing as Dutchclogs and as she stated, another cruiser on our roll call has been informed by X that Turkey is still on for August (but they are monitoring the situation should anything change) ;).